No announcement yet.

M.I.A in FA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free Agency is to fix holes on your team, especially if you're a contender.. it's not the way you build a team. You build a team through the draft.

Originally posted by fenikz
    His soft D really turns me off
    ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

Originally posted by vidae View Post
      Charles isn't.. the sharpest tool in the shed, but he can run the rock, so he gets a pass.

I'd love Thomas Jones as a backup to JC, nothing more.
      i really dont see TJ being successful without getting a decent part of the workload. He's a great player, but theres a reason why Shonn Greene took over the job.

Comment

FA is about depth, the only players worth their deals are often FAs who arent starters. You waste money on guys if you are desperate for a starter, you have to overpay.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
          FA is about depth, the only players worth their deals are often FAs who arent starters. You waste money on guys if you are desperate for a starter, you have to overpay.
          Or in certain cases to gain leverage/stability to trade a player. Otherwise your completely right.

Comment

Dallas didn't make a move in FA until very deep in last year and we had one of the best FA signing periods in a long time. Gerald Sensabaugh, Keith Brooking, and Igor were all huge parts of our defense for cost effective contracts.

Igor replaced Canty who went for 3x as much as was just as good, Brooking was 10x better then Zach Thomas and arguably our most important defensive player last year not named Ware for alot of reasons outside of pure talent, and Sensy was exactly what we had been lacking in the secondary for years and that was a safety who could man up with TE's and slot WR's.

Roy W was killing us trying to put him out there in that role, Sensy was like a breath of fresh air. So I hope we continue the same approach this year, all 3 were starters had late in the process. There will be some bargains this year, just have to wait for the first wave or 2 to finish.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
            I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

None of the teams making big splashes have been very effective recently. Sitting back and waiting to pick through the remaining guys who're hungry and the best fit for your scheme is always a better option.

For a homer example, the Panthers got better production out of signing Keydrick Vincent off the scrap heap than they did making a big splash for Hartwig.

They got better value trading for an unwanted Chris Harris than they did making a big splash for Ken Lucas, same with signing Nail Diggs than getting Landon Johnson.

Guys who fit a system and though veterans still wanting to play are better value than breaking the bank on someone who isn't a fit or is just after a payday.

Comment

The only time you should spend big $ on a free agent is if he can change the complexion of your offense or defense like Drew Brees or Charles Woodson. I view free agency as a time when you can improve your depth and not a time to break the bank on somebody who you'll just wind up releasing after 2-3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by wordofi View Post
                  The only time you should spend big $ on a free agent is if he can change the complexion of your offense or defense like Drew Brees or Charles Woodson. I view free agency as a time when you can improve your depth and not a time to break the bank on somebody who you'll just wind up releasing after 2-3 years.
                  Agreed, the exception to this imo is if you're in a light draft at a needed position, this is a very, very deep draft defensively so I would think the browns massively over paid for Fujita.

The draft is for building, the FA is for augmenting your core players and finding depth.

Comment

Fujita is a poor fit in the 3-4, hell, he's an average fit in the 4-3. I wouldn't mind keeping him, but letting him go shows we are actually going to try and upgrade.
                    Originally posted by SNIPER26
                    fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

Originally posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
                      Fujita is a poor fit in the 3-4, hell, he's an average fit in the 4-3. I wouldn't mind keeping him, but letting him go shows we are actually going to try and upgrade.
                      This. Fujita's best fit was as a 4-3 SLB and even there he had shown that he had lost a step. He is a good locker room presence and good leader on the field but his playing days are coming close to being over. As far as him fitting in a 3-4, I have a hard time seeing that work out.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                      WHO DAT!

Comment

He's solid and has a knack for key plays, decent as a zone coverage guy when you can get good pressure, but terrible covering backs and TEs....

I like him and all, but it was time to move on.
                        Originally posted by SNIPER26
                        fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

The Colts almost never do anything in FA. I am used to it. The Corey Simon fiasco after 2005 was enough to make Polian not want to try it again.

I do wish we'd go after Jared Gaither and Kirk Morrison.

Comment

Worth noting that there are 8 teams that basically aren't allowed to be involved.

The Vikes as one of those teams are no surprise as silent. We don't have a lot of needs, Rolle would have been really nice, but not at what he cost, outside of that the other guys out there would just be additions. TJ would be a nice fit as the backup to AP and replacement for Chester, but basically we are allowed to sign a player to equal what Chester got and that is it.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                              Dallas didn't make a move in FA until very deep in last year and we had one of the best FA signing periods in a long time. Gerald Sensabaugh, Keith Brooking, and Igor were all huge parts of our defense for cost effective contracts.

Igor replaced Canty who went for 3x as much as was just as good, Brooking was 10x better then Zach Thomas and arguably our most important defensive player last year not named Ware for alot of reasons outside of pure talent, and Sensy was exactly what we had been lacking in the secondary for years and that was a safety who could man up with TE's and slot WR's.

Roy W was killing us trying to put him out there in that role, Sensy was like a breath of fresh air. So I hope we continue the same approach this year, all 3 were starters had late in the process. There will be some bargains this year, just have to wait for the first wave or 2 to finish.
                              The difference this year is that there is nothing out there to help us. We have even less need and the FA class is thinner then ever. Other than kicker and restricted FAs, there is really nothing out there for Dallas right now. A lot of people (media really) seemed shocked that Dallas hasnt done anything. But honestly, what is out there for Dallas? Not much of anything.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                              http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                              KO KNOWS

Comment

Originally posted by BaLLiN72 View Post
                                creating a whining thread? we already get enough of that from splat and vidae :P
                                It was My self and T-Rich thank you very much.

Good day.

I said good day to you sir...

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information