(If Career Suddenly Ended) Hall of Fame Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (If Career Suddenly Ended) Hall of Fame Thread

Now this is not your typical HOF thread. Basically what players do you think would go into the HOF based on their shorter careers if it was cut short by injuries. I mean some guys over their full careers are easy to place but what about guys who dominate like certain HOF members did but their careers were cut short and so didnt dominate as long as they should or amount the massive stat lines (see Gayle Sayers)

Some guys I think are:-
    Andre Johnson
    CJ2K :D
    Adrian Peterson
    Larry Fitzgerald
    Patrick Willis
    DeMarcus Ware
    Jared Allen
    Darrelle Revis
    Nnamdi Asamougha

Cant think of any others but I reckon if they had career ending injuries their names should be mentioned in talks of the HOF not necessarily definate entrants but should get a mention.

What do all you guys reckon?

I know this one is old, but Sterling Sharpe comes to mind.

Comment

the thing for me is like i know its the hall of fame reserved for the most dominant players of all time but i think sometimes players can be overlooked whos careers were cut short, interested to see who people think thats happened to should be in and who if it happened right now they think should get in

Comment

Most of those guys are too early in to be considered, but I'd love to see an argument for Andre Johnson other than "Media has him ranked with Larry Fitzgerald as top 1-2"
        Originally posted by SNIPER26
        fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

Sorry, but no one on that list would make the HOF if their careers ended tomorrow!!
          Nnamdi Asomugha has the best chance, but after 7 years I doubt even he would get in.

Gayle Sayers was from a different era, a different game. No one had ever seen a player like him on the football field and he became a living myth. Nowadays, you need production to back up reputation, and no position is more important stat-wise than the offensive skill positions.

Most players on that list IMO would be considered great athletes on a HOF career track who simply didn't play long enough.

The only hypothetical example I can think of where a player who plays less than 7 years still gets in the HOF would be a pro bowl QB who wins 3 or 4 SBs in the first 6 years of his career, because winning trumps stats for QBs in the minds, I think, of HOF voters.

Comment

Originally posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
            Sorry, but no one on that list would make the HOF if their careers ended tomorrow!!
            Nnamdi Asomugha has the best chance, but after 7 years I doubt even he would get in.

Gayle Sayers was from a different era, a different game. No one had ever seen a player like him on the football field and he became a living myth. Nowadays, you need production to back up reputation, and no position is more important stat-wise than the offensive skill positions.

Most players on that list IMO would be considered great athletes on a HOF career track who simply didn't play long enough.

The only hypothetical example I can think of where a player who plays less than 7 years still gets in the HOF would be a pro bowl QB who wins 3 or 4 SBs in the first 6 years of his career, because winning trumps stats for QBs in the minds, I think, of HOF voters.

I agree! I was thinking the same thing when I read it.. It's the hall of fame, not hall of very good. I would never put any of those guys in. They are good, and have promising careers, but if they got hurt tomorrow, none of them get in or get close.

Comment

None of those guys would make the HOF honestly man, they may be well on their way but the HOF is about longevity, you can't just put them in because they had a good start.

Andre Johnson? No way in hell. Ware? Nope. I doubt anyone on that list would be close to making it to be honest.

It would have to be a guy close to retirement, way too many guys have been good for long periods of time that wouldn't get overlooked by a guy with 2-3 good seasons.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
              I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

None, though Asomugha would be the closest. Can we at least agree on that? You wanna talk about an active player who's a living myth on the defensive side of the ball, then that's your guy. No doubt the poor teams he's played on would hurt him dearly in the eyes of some.

Comment

Favre, Brady, Manning, Pace and Ray Lewis are the only locks right now.

Maybe Peppers and Mawae.

Comment

If Terrell Davis still hasn't been inducted into the Hall of Fame then no one on that list would make it if their careers were cut short as well.

Comment

Originally posted by RealityCheck View Post
                      Favre, Brady, Manning, Pace and Ray Lewis are the only locks right now.

Maybe Peppers and Mawae.
                      There are a lot more "locks".

Ladanian Tomlinson, Randy Moss, T.O., Tony Gonzalez, Jason Witten, Antonio Gates, I'd add Warner. Brees will have the numbers barring injury and he has a ring. If we're counting Pace, Strahan is obviously in.

Ed Reed, Champ Bailey, Charles Woodson...they're all getting in. Etc. People are so hesistant to put today's players in the Hall...but, all listed are of Hall of Fame quality.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                      http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                      KO KNOWS

Comment

Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                        There are a lot more "locks".

Ladanian Tomlinson, Randy Moss, T.O., Tony Gonzalez, Jason Witten, Antonio Gates, I'd add Warner. Brees will have the numbers barring injury and he has a ring. If we're counting Pace, Strahan is obviously in.

Ed Reed, Champ Bailey, Charles Woodson...they're all getting in. Etc. People are so hesistant to put today's players in the Hall...but, all listed are of Hall of Fame quality.
                        They all might deserve it, but very few DBs get into the HoF. I think that of those, Ed Reed has the best shot at getting in. Bailey and Woodson might, but are by no means locks for the HoF. Other than that, I agree.

Originally posted by ElectricEye
                        I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.

Comment

Darrelle Revis? 3 years in the league. Apparently the NFL better clear out room for Joe Thomas too.

Chris Johnson? Ask Terrell Davis about that.

Not a single one of the names mentioned in that list is anywhere near being in the conversation for the Hall of Fame.

Comment

*IF* Arizona won the super bowl a couple years ago, I think Fitzgerald would be able to get in.

Comment

Tony Gonzalez.

I don't see how Antonio Gates or Jason Witten are "locks" at this point in their careers though heh.

Originally posted by fenikz
                              His soft D really turns me off
                              ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information