Darrelle revis is officially holding out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by P-L View Post
    No one has a gun to these players heads forcing them to sign four, five, or six-year deals. They all want the big money that they don't deserve right out of college, but when they get towards the end of the long deal that they themselves demanded they need a raise? Sorry, I don't feel bad for these players. What was preventing Revis from signing a three-year rookie deal? Don't get me wrong, I think it's ridiculous that NFL teams don't have to honor the contracts they agreed upon, but two wrongs don't make a right.
    NFL teams have to honor the contracts they sign. Guaranteed money is guaranteed money. That's part of the sticking point here. Revis wants pretty much all of it guaranteed, and a LOT of money upfront. Which the Jets don't really want to do. Even in their negotiations with D-Brick, they flat out said they weren't giving him a lot of money up front right now.

If NFL teams were not honoring contracts, there would be lawsuits all over the place.

Comment

Originally posted by descendency View Post
      My prediction is 5 years, 85 million with 42 million guaranteed.
      I'd never pay a DB that much.

I mean, not unless he was superman and could cover receivers on opposite sides of the field at once.

Comment

Originally posted by descendency View Post
        My prediction is 5 years, 85 million with 42 million guaranteed.
        Depending on how easily attainable the non guaranteed is, I would say that's a minimum. Seeing as Nnamdi's contract is fully guaranteed for 15 per (assuming they keep him for the third year), Revis is going to have a tough time accepting any less than an average of 10 million guaranteed per year, because he wants MORE than Nnamdi.

He's already been offered 100 million, just non-guaranteed. Which is the sticking point.

Comment

Originally posted by AHungryWalrus View Post
          Depending on how easily attainable the non guaranteed is, I would say that's a minimum. Seeing as Nnamdi's contract is fully guaranteed for 15 per (assuming they keep him for the third year), Revis is going to have a tough time accepting any less than an average of 10 million guaranteed per year, because he wants MORE than Nnamdi.

He's already been offered 100 million, just non-guaranteed. Which is the sticking point.
          For a 5 year contract, that's QB money. It's 17 million a year. I think the jets would be willing to do a deal that averages 17 million a year if they could get a long enough deal (to allow them to cut him when he isn't worth the money anymore). I seriously doubt they will guarantee him enough money to make that happen though.

The Jets would normally have the leverage in the debate because he's signed for the next 3 years, but he's the best player on the jets team and without him, the defense just isn't that good. You can't blitz that much without an elite #1 CB.
          **** her in da *****!

Comment

Oh, I'm not debating what I *think* he deserves. This is just why he won't sign. I honestly think the Jets should throw him maybe an extra 3 million for this year, and let him play at least another 2.

He held out for this deal, I don't think he deserves a different one with three years left.

Comment

Originally posted by steelersfan43 View Post
              Shouldnt the same go for teams who cut players? They're not honoring the contract, and being cut as a player is much worse then a star player asking for more money.
              I dont think so because the player knows the terms of the contract and that is that the team can release the player and not pay their non guaranteed money. You never see players that suck that willingly hand over a portion of their money back to the team for not playing well.

Comment

this is my problem with the whole situation....revis only wants to the highest paid CB. He doesnt necessarily want top money but the top money. Dudes been one the top CB's for a year. big ******* deal. You dont see brady, brees and manning all looking to one up each other by a dollar. Andre Johnson has earned his money and ability to renegotiate....Revis, not so much

Comment

Originally posted by goodlookin View Post
                  this is my problem with the whole situation....revis only wants to the highest paid CB. He doesnt necessarily want top money but the top money. Dudes been one the top CB's for a year. big ******* deal. You dont see brady, brees and manning all looking to one up each other by a dollar. Andre Johnson has earned his money and ability to renegotiate....Revis, not so much
                  This. I think people overrate Revis a lot. Let him repeat last year, then I'll call him the best corner.

RIP ST

Comment

I think it's funny that it's all this hoopla for the position that is most easily taken out of a game.

The 100 million dollar man will be out there taking out some teams top receiver that gets paid 3 million :D

I think I can find a way to beat the Jets with another 97 million to spread around :P
                    Originally posted by SNIPER26
                    fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

Tuesday is the next key date for the Revis holdout
                      The next question is whether he'll flinch on Tuesday.

Under the terms of the labor agreement, Revis will forfeit a year of service toward free agency, if he fails to report for training camp at least 30 days before the start of the regular season. With the 2010 regular season beginning on September 9, it means that Revis must show up on or before August 10 or lose a year of service.
                      http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...revis-holdout/

Comment

If he's willing to sit out a full year just to get money, I'd really not want to give that guy money....

I don't think he's the type to sit though, he seems really competitive.
                        Originally posted by SNIPER26
                        fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

Originally posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
                          I think it's funny that it's all this hoopla for the position that is most easily taken out of a game.

The 100 million dollar man will be out there taking out some teams top receiver that gets paid 3 million :D

I think I can find a way to beat the Jets with another 97 million to spread around :P
                          Depends on the team...taking out a team's #1 is a pretty big deal because most teams can't do it and passing games usually go through that player. What he did last year was pretty ridiculous...not sold he can repeat it though. But against some teams taking out the #1 option is pretty huge.

Originally posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
                          If he's willing to sit out a full year just to get money, I'd really not want to give that guy money....

I don't think he's the type to sit though, he seems really competitive.
                          I'm not so sure he's bluffing, he's got his uncle (Sean Gilbert?) advising him and I believe he sat out a year over a contract dispute. Honestly I think it's a bad move for him but I'm sure he doesn't want what happened to Leon Washington happening to him. The Jets gave out a deal to Ferguson so you know they're willing to pay guys, but after what happened to LW I wonder if they're lowballing him a little and spreading rumors that they're offering more than they are. That would certainly be a mistake IMO, but the FO has been pretty shady at times the last few years.

Comment

Jets owner Woody Johnson: Unlikely Darrelle Revis signs new deal before season starts
                            http://content.usatoday.com/communit...eason-starts/1

Comment

Make him sit out. No player is above the team. I have a question though, once an average player retires from the NFL how do they make their money? Do they go into coaching roles or just become a regular 9-5 worker?
                              Sam Bradford will be a bust- 2/24/2010

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes

Comment

if he sits out the season mark it down that 09 will be known as his best year, he wont ever touch 09 again

they really should go pay mangold since the hands down best center in the league>a cornerback in a rex ryan defense
                                E]

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information