X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darrelle revis is officially holding out

Breaking: Darrelle revis is officially holding out, per source
    http://twitter.com/TheJetsStream/status/20086858634

This is an instance where they really should just pay the man and get it over with. He absolutely deserves to be the highest paid DB in the league and I don't think it's even a question really.

Comment

Excellent! We could only have hoped for this to happen!

- Producer of Hardknocks

Comment

Darrelle Revis' agent tells ESPNNewYork that Revis won't report to camp until he gets a new deal
        http://twitter.com/RichCimini/status/20096990215

Comment

ADVANTAGE: Revis.

Comment

Rex Ryan sort of did this to himself. He blabbed all season long how Revis was the best CB in the world and now they won't pony up the cash. I'm not saying Ryan was wrong but it might have been a little more prudent to just let Revis do the talking on the field.
            #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

He wants too much. Nnamdi Asomugha contract was massive. Revis wants more than that.

He also has 2-3 years left on a deal for little money. When teams do extension in those situations, the money per season is lower than if he were franchised or contract was about to expire.

The Jets also have Mangold and Harris who's deals are up this coming season.

The CBA is going to change and its unknown what it would be like, will it include a cap? What would that be? If it doesn't, what would the owner set the team's at?

The real question is, will Revis hold out of games? That is turning down money and it would piss off other players. Some players skip training camp, few skip games.

Comment

I remember that the Jets gave him a nice deal when he signed as a rookie.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/und...ow-revis-money
                "it should be noted that, if the Asomugha extension raised a few eyebrows, then Revis' rookie contract did the same. As the No. 14 overall pick in the 2007 draft, Revis received a contract in which the guaranteed money could escalate from nearly $10.5 million up to $22.5 million, and even as much as $26.5 million. "

The Jets reserve the right to buy back those years by paying a $100 buyback bonus and guaranteeing Revis' 2011 and 2012 salaries at $15.7 million, with another $4 million of possible salary escalation in 2012 based on Revis' performance. Another interesting aspect of this structure is that, in the event of Revis voiding the final two years, the Jets are prevented from franchising Revis instead of buying back 2011 and 2012.

Comment

Greedy... ridiculous really.

I honestly hope that the players get what is coming in the new CBA, Revis, you signed the contract, how about being honourable as a human, I really want to like you as a player but you are making it hard.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

Originally posted by wogitalia View Post

I honestly hope that the players get what is coming in the new CBA, Revis, you signed the contract, how about being honourable as a human, I really want to like you as a player but you are making it hard.
                    Its prob his agent encouraging him to not show up for camp, cause thats the only way to get the message across to teams.

If teams can cut a player when he does bad, then its only fair that he gets a better contract when he does exceptionally well.

Comment

If he didnt like his contract then he shouldnt have signed it.

Comment

Originally posted by jayceheathman View Post
                        If he didnt like his contract then he shouldnt have signed it.
                        Shouldnt the same go for teams who cut players? They're not honoring the contract, and being cut as a player is much worse then a star player asking for more money.

Comment

Originally posted by wogitalia View Post

Is it really that greedy? I mean as sports fan we're all die hard and if we were in that situation we might do things differently but of course none of us have the insane ability and talent that Revis has.

He's one slip away in non-contact drills from tearing his ACL and never seeing the type of money he has coming.

Not to mention he is insanely important to the Jets. Obviously in Ryan's system they blitz the house and having a guy who can cover on an island is essential, and Revis can do just that. Plus he's versatile to no end. Press, man, zone coverage are all things he excels at.

The only thing I'd say in warning of giving him a MASSIVE contract is that it seems as if these days elite corners typically don't maintain dominance for very long. Champ Bailey was probably one of the few corners in recent years to be dominate for sustained period.
                          (shameless self-promotion)
                          Like video games? Subscribe to my Youtube Channel!
                          https://www.youtube.com/user/Forenci

Comment

PRobably wants to be the highest paid defensive player ever.
                            Originally posted by SNIPER26
                            fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

Originally posted by Forenci View Post
                              Is it really that greedy? I mean as sports fan we're all die hard and if we were in that situation we might do things differently but of course none of us have the insane ability and talent that Revis has.

He's one slip away in non-contact drills from tearing his ACL and never seeing the type of money he has coming.

Not to mention he is insanely important to the Jets. Obviously in Ryan's system they blitz the house and having a guy who can cover on an island is essential, and Revis can do just that. Plus he's versatile to no end. Press, man, zone coverage are all things he excels at.

The only thing I'd say in warning of giving him a MASSIVE contract is that it seems as if these days elite corners typically don't maintain dominance for very long. Champ Bailey was probably one of the few corners in recent years to be dominate for sustained period.
                              It won't work. If Revis gets a huge contract, I doubt he lives up to it. His play is going to have to depend a lot of the Jets front seven. If any of that falters in seasons proceeding forward, that's an automatic disadvantage. Doesn't really matter anyways. The team isn't going to budge. And I bet the Jets win games without his services. Not saying he isn't important, but in the grand scheme of things I think the Jets offense is going to make our break them. If Revis is trying to get market value, I understand. But doesn't he have a few years left on his contract? Close to three maybe? Perhaps he realizes this is the best time to demand an extension since he's coming off of a good year and he's in his prime. However, if he's also trying to do something ridiculous like be the highest paid player in the NFL, then he's just digging himself a hole.
                              Last edited by Ness; 08-02-2010, 05:53 AM.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                              -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                              Originally posted by Borat
                              Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information