No announcement yet.

Roger Goodell: Fans have made it clear, they don't like preseason

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like preseason games. It gives the younger players opportunities when there really aren't that many. Having 18 regular season games is going to screw that up.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
    -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
    Originally posted by Borat
    Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

Originally posted by Go_Eagles77 View Post
      He's using the fans as an excuse, but all this comes down to is it's a way to get the NFL more money.
      Ladies & gentlemen we have a winnah...... nailed it.

No way in hell is the NFLPA going to sign up for more regular season games without huge salary increases b/c of the shortening of their multi-million-$ careers, the NFL pays with gamechecks you know.

Given the impasse over no CBA in place & the global economy in the toilet, this could lead to the 2nd NFL strike & lockout. I realize that's worst case, but Goddell is a greedhead bureaucrat & he's dorking up the whole league.

Comment

Yes...camp/practice performance matters as well...but in most cases, you want to see that carry over to the preseason games. Some guys excel during camp, but never actually put it together in live games. Cutting out two games is a killer for these type of guys.

In Austin's case...they were intrigued enough from camp alone to carry him over...but the other guys I mentioned, all had great preseason performances, in addition to great camps.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
        http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
        KO KNOWS

Comment

It seems all the players hate the idea of 18 games. Could it be a plot like this.

NFL demands 18 games and something else(say no salary cap just hypothetically)

Players want a salary cap(hypothetically remember) but hate 18 games a lot.

Well the NFL will say, we will take away th 18 games as long as you agree to no salary cap.

I hope that this 18 game idea is just a front to get the deal worked out.

Comment

When they do go to 18, I would like to see
            1. An expansion of active rosters from 53 to maybe 65.
            2. 2 bye weeks
            3. An earlier start to the season so the Super Bowl is not in March
            4. Guaranteed contracts like the other sports. Football is the only sport that doesn't guarantee contracts and the expanded season would result in pretty much everyone asking for more money anyway.
            Hi Mom. Send money!

Comment

Originally posted by Ravens1991 View Post
              It seems all the players hate the idea of 18 games. Could it be a plot like this.

NFL demands 18 games and something else(say no salary cap just hypothetically)

Players want a salary cap(hypothetically remember) but hate 18 games a lot.

Well the NFL will say, we will take away th 18 games as long as you agree to no salary cap.

I hope that this 18 game idea is just a front to get the deal worked out.
              If anything, it seems like the league is piling up bargaining chips while the players chips are all going to be money.

The NFL can get this, but they have to shave off another slice of the money pie to the players. The NFL wants something else? Another slice to the players.

Give the players enough % of the money and they'll agree to anything. It's going to be about finding that balance for the owners to get as much as they want while spending only as much as they want to.

Comment

The injury lists are going to be so huge entering the post season in this scenario.

Superbowl will be even more about who can get healthy, as opposed to who the best team is.
                Originally posted by SNIPER26
                fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

Okay, heres an idea.
                  What we know:

-Most people hate how long the preseason is.
                  -18 games is too much for the regular season when factoring in fatigure, quality of play, meaningless games with brutal teams and clinched teams, and
                  injuries.
                  -The NFL wants to find a way to expand revenues.
                  -The biggest moneymaker is the TV revenue, not in stadium profits.

So, is this a viable solution?
                  Go 3 preseason games, expand the regular season by one week and give every team 2 byes.
                  That means we'd need a total of 64 byes given out through 18 weeks.
                  You could split that up into 11 weeks, (6 teams 10 weeks, 4 teams 1 week), say weeks 4 through 14, with everyone playing weeks 1,2,3,15,16,17,18.

We add a week of TV revenue.
                  We cut the presason down.
                  We maintain the 16 game schedule.
                  And, BONUS, we give the players an extra bit of rest in the season.

Comment

The casual fans hate the preseason while us hardcore fans like it. We're in the minority here.

MOTH is absolutely right. The late rounders and undrafted players need the preseason to show what they can do.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by J-Mike88 View Post
                      Apparently NOT!
                      Apparently I am the only one who doesn't.

What I hate about preason games is I basically watch them holding my breath, just praying that my guys don't tear ACLs for something that doesn't count anyway.

Also, I hate it when a guy does great, as great as he could possibly do, and he still gets f***ed, cut. Last year for example our rookie RB Tyrell Sutton looked like Darren Sproles to me.

But the media and the team seemed to feel it was because he was playing against non-starters, so they cut him.
                      That guy couldn't have done anymore to earn a job than he did.

Also, I remember Tony Romo and Miles Austin getting rave reviews from practices. People gotta remember, for every hour on the field in a practice game, they'd practiced for 10-20 hours with coaches watching.... they can tell a guy can play or not in intrasquad practices and scrimmages.

Again, I'm still bitter that Tyrell Sutton wasn't kept.
                      Now Sutton is tearing it up with the panthers.lol

Comment

Originally posted by scpanther22 View Post
                        Now Sutton is tearing it up with the panthers.lol
                        Well he's behind the best 1-2 punch RB's in the NFL. The BEST.
                        Did Tyrell get any carries last year? How did he look?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Regular View Post
                          Okay, heres an idea.
                          What we know:

-Most people hate how long the preseason is.
                          -18 games is too much for the regular season when factoring in fatigure, quality of play, meaningless games with brutal teams and clinched teams, and
                          injuries.
                          -The NFL wants to find a way to expand revenues.
                          -The biggest moneymaker is the TV revenue, not in stadium profits.

So, is this a viable solution?
                          Go 3 preseason games, expand the regular season by one week and give every team 2 byes.
                          That means we'd need a total of 64 byes given out through 18 weeks.
                          You could split that up into 11 weeks, (6 teams 10 weeks, 4 teams 1 week), say weeks 4 through 14, with everyone playing weeks 1,2,3,15,16,17,18.

We add a week of TV revenue.
                          We cut the presason down.
                          We maintain the 16 game schedule.
                          And, BONUS, we give the players an extra bit of rest in the season.
                          Love this idea. Know what else they could do? Add more teams to the playoffs. Add anywhere between 2-4 teams to the playoff race for each conference.

The case could be made for either 2 or 3 preseason games for evaluation purposes and I can agree with either side. Adding another bye week is critical, imo, especially with the injuries and concussion issues. Adding another week for the playoffs would be something everyone would enjoy. It also makes it more competitive.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                          WHO DAT!

Comment

Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
                            Love this idea. Know what else they could do? Add more teams to the playoffs. Add anywhere between 2-4 teams to the playoff race for each conference.

The case could be made for either 2 or 3 preseason games for evaluation purposes and I can agree with either side. Adding another bye week is critical, imo, especially with the injuries and concussion issues. Adding another week for the playoffs would be something everyone would enjoy. It also makes it more competitive.
                            Glad you like the idea.
                            I get the NFL wants to add more weeks. I get that the preseason is too long,
                            I dont understand why this isnt talked about.
                            Adding a regular season week, subtracting a preseason week, but not adding games makes so much sense to me.
                            You add revenue, get rid of crap games, and give players more rest.

Comment

That's a great idea, and the players association will demand another bye if they are to concede to any stretching of the season/games.

One issue I find though, is that each game (preseason even) generates roughly $4-5 million in ticket sales alone (suites included), plus concessions and memorabilia, etc. so I don't see owners throwing one of these away every year.

I love the idea though Mr.Regular but it says I've given out to much +rep the past 24 hours! If it's the thought that counts, take 1000 points for that detailes improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by J-Mike88 View Post
                                That's a great idea, and the players association will demand another bye if they are to concede to any stretching of the season/games.

One issue I find though, is that each game (preseason even) generates roughly $4-5 million in ticket sales alone (suites included), plus concessions and memorabilia, etc. so I don't see owners throwing one of these away every year.

I love the idea though Mr.Regular but it says I've given out to much +rep the past 24 hours! If it's the thought that counts, take 1000 points for that detailes improvement.
                                haha no worries on the rep.
                                With 3 preseason games, youd only miss out on one preseason game every 2 years since youd be getting 2 home games half the time still.
                                Plus the split TV revenue from an added week would more than make up for it I believe.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information