2010 NFL Truths and Thoughts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 NFL Truths and Thoughts

I'm jumping back on the Truths bandwagon.

Look Out for Washington, Chicago, and Miami

These three teams have largely been overshadowed or dismissed in favor of the other more ballyhooed teams in their division (although Miami seems to be becoming a trendier pick as we move closer to the season). I don’t necessarily think these teams will win all their division, it wouldn’t surprise me either. I think all three will at the very least be fighting for playoff spots down the stretch. They just all happen to be playing in very tough divisions.

The Donovan McNabb trade was lauded for the Redskins. He’s going to be huge for that team. He’s had big game struggles, but he’s still better than a lot of starting quarterbacks in this league. They’ve also added two apparent bookends at tackle, in a system catered to athletic linemen. Clinton Portis had his most productive years under Shannahan. While he was a completely different type of back at that time, Shannahan’s system can still be incredibly effective with a power back, which Portis has essentially become. Far less talented backs have killed it in that system, and Portis will transition back to it pretty seamlessly.

The talent on their defense is outstanding. For all the conundrum Albert Haynesworth receives, he can still be a force at DE or NT in the 3-4. Him going at 80% is better than most linemen at 120%. He’s that good. Regardless of the conditioning test fiasco, he appears to be in better shape than he was at any point in Tennesee.

They’ve got a damn good team, but injuries will be key since they have little to no depth at key positions. But my oh my will it be pretty watching McNabb run the zone boot.

Chicago is a team I see a lot of potential in, and it has more to do with their defense. Julius Peppers, relieved to no longer being the big fish in a small pond, is going to beast it this year. The problem with Chicago’s defense the past couple years has been a consistent pass rush and injuries to Urlacher and Harris (the two best and most important players on their defense). Again, injuries aside (because they’re impossible to predict) I think this unit climbs back to elite ranks.

I really question how Jay Cutler will fare in a deep drop system that usually relies on six or less blockers. The results could be ugly. However, I still have a ton of faith in Cutler, and Martz’s system will give him plenty of opportunity to let it rip. I like their receiving corp more than most. It’s got a ton of upside, and Knox and Hester were born to play in that type of offense.

Miami is a team I’ve been touting all offseason. I love Chad Henne, and I think he ends up being the difference in the quest to topple the Pats in the East. I expect him to have a much better year than Sanchez. He’s got a nasty o-line, a nasty running game, and Marshall is really going to open their offense up. It’s Henne’s time.

The Dolphins are one of those teams that had to take a step back before taking two forward. Their tranformation from a 1-15 team to a division winner was incredibly impressive, but they rode a weak schedule. It’s a similar situation to the one the Chargers faced in the early 2000s. They won their division in a down year, missed the playoffs the next year due to losing a series of close games (hence: learning how to win/close consistently) and have largely been a dominant force since (BTW, this whole thing I’ve said about the Dolphins can be said for the Falcons, too).

Homer Corner
    I’m totally stealing this idea from BlindSite. I need to talk about Jacksonville a little since they're a team that’s not discussed on topics outside of Tebow (still), Alualu, and blackouts.

GM Gene Smith gutted the roster that year and turned around and had the most productive draft class in the league. They started the year off fairly well, but the team was horribly inconsistent and the team hit a wall late in the season and production from the defensive line completely bottomed out.

The d-line received a ton of attention in the offseason. The Jags could have traded down for Alualu, I know. He doesn't quite have McCoy's talent, but their measurables are almost identical, and he was very productive and disruptive in college. Had the dude been playing in a 4-3 defense that showcased him, he wouldn’t have been nearly as under the radar as he was.

Also, Mighty Might Mike Thomas is the second coming of Steve Smith (CAR). Book it.

I think they’ll be much improved talent wise this year, but consistency has been the mark of teams in the Del Rio area. They could go anywhere from 6-10 to 10-6 depending on the kind of breaks they get and if they stay healthy.

Jumbled, Random Thoughts Going Into the Season

- I have no idea what the **** is going to happen in the AFC West. Any team can win that division right now. It’s completely up for grabs
    - The Ravens will rank higher in offense than in defense this year
    - Other than at offensive line, this is probably the best and deepest team the Colts have ever fielded. I’ll extremely interested to see how this year turns out for them
    - Brandon Spikes will win DPOTY. I talked enough about it in a thread in the draft section, but he’s pretty much got the spot next to Mayo on lockdown, and Belichick loves him. BB found his new Mike Vrabel.
    - Jahvid Best will win OROTY. That offense is going to be downright explosive if Stafford has progressed as much as everyone says he has
    - Speaking of last year’s rookie QBs, Josh Freeman’s bandwagon is really gonna start growing after this year

That’s pretty much all I’ve got right now. I’ve had a ton of different thoughts bounce through my head throughout the offseason, and I’ll write them in here as they come to me.

Feedback is always appreciated, and discussion is always, always encouraged (that’s why we’re all here isn’t it?)

I'm definitely a believer in the Dolphins and think they can win that division, but I don't see the Redskins or Bears finishing better than 3rd in their respective divisions. Neither team has much of anything in terms of receivers and they are just outmanned in terms of overall talent by 2 teams in their divisions. New York and Dallas for the Redskins and Minnesota and Green Bay for the Bears.

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
      Speaking of last year’s rookie QBs, Josh Freeman’s bandwagon is really gonna start growing after this year
      I'm a big believe in Freeman. I love the guy & the direction of that organization.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Brent View Post
        I'm a big believe in Freeman. I love the guy & the direction of that organization.
        Freeman could be a good QB, but it's going to difficult to tell. He's throwing to a gimp, 2 rookies, and a 2nd year receiver and the Bucs just don't run the ball very well. Someone needs to step up.

Comment

I'd go with Chicago out of those to watch. You add Julius Peppers and Urlacher to that defense and there should be fireworks there. Jay Cutler cant repeat his mistakes from a year ago, can he?

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon View Post
            I'd go with Chicago out of those to watch. You add Julius Peppers and Urlacher to that defense and there should be fireworks there. Jay Cutler cant repeat his mistakes from a year ago, can he?
            Is Urlacher the same player he used to be? He's been absent from the pro bowl since 2006. I know hes an upgrade over whoever they plugged in there but i don't think he can make the plays he used to make.
            Sam Bradford will be a bust- 2/24/2010

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes

Comment

I'm with you on the potential of the Lions offense. Scheffler, Pettigrew, Best, Calvin, Burleson, Stafford is a good group. We are running a lot of two TE sets and reports are saying Stafford is night and day from last year. Trading for LG Rob Sims and getting RG Stephen Peterman back from injury has solidified the offensive line. Derrick Williams is having a great camp as well. Watch out for second year running back Aaron Brown as a sleeper.

Comment

Kevin Kolb will have a better season than Donovan McNabb this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Go_Eagles77 View Post
                  Kevin Kolb will have a better season than Donovan McNabb this year.
                  *shakes head (again)*

How about Kevin Kolb will lead the league in INTs?

Comment

Here's my NFL Truths:

Buffalo sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by 619 View Post
                      *shakes head (again)*

How about Kevin Kolb will lead the league in INTs?
                      I really don't get all the hate for Kolb around the league. Have you really seen enough of him to believe this?

Comment

Originally posted by Go_Eagles77 View Post
                        I really don't get all the hate for Kolb around the league. Have you really seen enough of him to believe this?
                        Have you seen enough of him to believe he will have a better season than Donovan?

Comment

Good assessment on the Bears. Peppers will make that defense better. Not having Urlacher really hurt last year, so I think he will come back with something to prove. Harris is also finally not coming back from some kind of surgery. The Bears have a lot of young guys who can step up on the D (Bowman, Gilbert, Melton, Wootton, Wright and Moore).
                          I also agree with you on the offense. The Bears offensive line will probably be a problem and with Martz's scheme, I can see Cutler getting clobbered a lot this year. I think it will be a lot like before, where Cutler will get a lot of yards, but it won't mean much.
                          At least I'm not the only one high on the Dolphins this year. Marshall and Dansby were great acquisitions. Odrick and Koa Misi weren't the sexy picks, but they can start for a while. The Dolphins will be able to dominate in the trenches on both sides. Henne can do better this year, but I am concerned about Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams. If they can't run, the offense will really have problems.
                          Last edited by MidwayMonster31; 08-13-2010, 11:12 PM.

Comment

I think he will have a better statistical year than McNabb as well. Having a good OLine and the good weapons that the Eagles have and Andy Reid will get him there. McNabb/Shanahan combo I think will give the Redskins 7-9 wins in the hardest division in the league, but their receivers are gonna be a sore spot.

Comment

I like Freeman just as much as Stafford or Sanchez. Ill be shocked if he doesnt make huge leaps this year in terms of progression.
                              Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                              The APS is strong in this one.
                              Originally posted by killxswitch
                              Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information