Jets and Mangold closing in on record deal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by killxswitch View Post
    Saturday is no longer in the discussion. He is fairly dependable and his mind is as quick as ever but physically he is losing ground.

How the hell are the Jets paying for all this?

How are they doing this while trying to sign Revis to his ridiculous more then 100 mill contract that he wants. Do they really not plan to have the guy play?

Originally posted by WMD
    Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
    Originally posted by gpngc
    I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Jvig43 View Post
      How are they doing this while trying to sign Revis to his ridiculous more then 100 mill contract that he wants. Do they really not plan to have the guy play?
      Revis wants 160 + million. Jets are offering him 122 million. They have a plan to sign him to the 120 million dollar contract. Not the 160+.

Comment

Originally posted by AHungryWalrus View Post
        Revis wants 160 + million. Jets are offering him 122 million. They have a plan to sign him to the 120 million dollar contract. Not the 160+.
        Link please? I believe you, I just couldnt see revis holding out if they offered him 122 million. And still, how are they paying for all of this?

Originally posted by WMD
        Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
        Originally posted by gpngc
        I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Jvig43 View Post
          Link please? I believe you, I just couldnt see revis holding out if they offered him 122 million. And still, how are they paying for all of this?
          I've heard that said on talk radio several times. It's a 10 year contract though so the numbers are impressive but not otherworldly.

@Walrus - I understand the Jets owner is loaded, but I thought there were rules in place where your total team salary couldn't go up by more than 30% or something along those lines. The Jets have signed DBrick, Santonio Holmes, Antonio Cromartie, LDT, now Mangold, and still have Revis and David Harris to go. I don't see how it's possible to get all that money paid out without breaking the 30% rule.

Comment

Looks like David Harris might end up being the odd man out.

Originally posted by Jakey
            WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!

Comment

Originally posted by killxswitch View Post
              I've heard that said on talk radio several times. It's a 10 year contract though so the numbers are impressive but not otherworldly.

@Walrus - I understand the Jets owner is loaded, but I thought there were rules in place where your total team salary couldn't go up by more than 30% or something along those lines. The Jets have signed DBrick, Santonio Holmes, Antonio Cromartie, LDT, now Mangold, and still have Revis and David Harris to go. I don't see how it's possible to get all that money paid out without breaking the 30% rule.
              I think the 30% rule only means that a player's salary cannot exceed a 30% increase in the first year of the new contract. So most of these contracts probably have a negligible raise the first year and jump way up after that.

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                I think the 30% rule only means that a player's salary cannot exceed a 30% increase in the first year of the new contract. So most of these contracts probably have a negligible raise the first year and jump way up after that.
                I think it applies to the base salary of each contract year...it can't bea raise more than 30% of the previous year.

The Jets got around that by giving a huge signing bonus to D'Brick that will be paid out sometime after the first day of the next league year and before the first game...that way, if there's a lockout, they don't have to pay him until things get back on track and games get scheduled.

But I've read that Revis (or more appropriately, Revis' agent) don't want to do it that way...(a lot of teams wanted to put that into the contract of the their first round picks but many weren't going for it.)

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
                  I think it applies to the base salary of each contract year...it can't bea raise more than 30% of the previous year.

The Jets got around that by giving a huge signing bonus to D'Brick that will be paid out sometime after the first day of the next league year and before the first game...that way, if there's a lockout, they don't have to pay him until things get back on track and games get scheduled.

But I've read that Revis (or more appropriately, Revis' agent) don't want to do it that way...(a lot of teams wanted to put that into the contract of the their first round picks but many weren't going for it.)
                  D-Brick already has a high contract, so 30% rule doesn't apply to him so much. The issue is that the guaranteed money given out to new contracts still has to fit under the 2009 cap. That's why Brick isn't guaranteed against injury, just performance. Mangold was given rolling guarantees, but not much fully guaranteed (from what I understand) simply because we can't do it.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/commen...rs-401333.html - Revis link

Harris is the odd man out for now. He and his agent have already said that they understand that without a solid CBA there probably won't be a deal.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/commen...nt-401302.html

Comment

Revis will be signed also, but there is no way in hell they can bring back David Harris as well, I'd probably be looking to trade him instead of losing him for nothing.

This also makes that Jason Brown deal(even though he hit FA) look like a bargain. Granted he's not in the same caliber but he is a very good young center you can build your offensive line around and looks Mangold may get twice as much.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                    I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

As for Revis, it looks like Cowlishaw story was right.

http://www.thejetsblog.com/2010/08/2...k-by-thursday/

How the hell was he the one to break the news? Craziness. Sort of scared to see what the deal is, but my extremely recently developed dislike for Revis is thawing pretty rapidly.

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                        Revis will be signed also, but there is no way in hell they can bring back David Harris as well, I'd probably be looking to trade him instead of losing him for nothing.
                        No way we trade Harris. Right or wrong, this is a Superbowl push year for the Jets. Even if they think they can't sign him next year, they are going to hang on to him. And if we do win, or can at least come close, I wouldn't be surprised to see us fit him under. Remember, Braylon, Santonio, Cromartie, and Jason Taylor (essentially) are under one year deals. No way we bring them all back. One of the WR's, JT, and possibly Cromartie are gone by next year.

Comment

Yea I don't expect Harris to go anywhere being that it's a SB or bust type of season, but he's still gonna leave a hole on that team next season as a really good player they need to replace.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                          I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Can Harris play MLB in a 4-3? If so i'd give em Ruud, and a 2nd from next years draft. :-D

Mike Will & V-Jax

Comment

Working...
                            X

Debug Information