No announcement yet.

Best RECEIVING-TE of our era

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gates is at 59. Tony is at 82. Both are still playing. Gates has a ways to go.

Originally posted by fenikz
    His soft D really turns me off
    ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

I think it's got to be Tony G until further notice. Obviously this depends on the longevity of Antonio Gates' career & Dallas Clark's as well. I don't remember Gonzalez having too many elite QBs throwing him the ball as was the case for guys like Sharpe (Elway), Gates (Rivers), and Clark (Manning.) The do-it-all Tight End was the best player at the position during what I'd consider my generation to be.

There should be an asterisk next to every name & the thread title just out of respect for the great Jermaine Gresham.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
      - For daily NFL draft coverage:
      www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
        Gates was the most dominant, Gonzalez was the most consistently great. Tie.

I think I'd agree with this.
        Originally posted by SNIPER26
        fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

Originally posted by bored of education View Post
          JerMichael Finley is clearly the answer
          Please don't start this.

Comment

It's not my fault his name is mentioned next to two far-superior players in Manning & Elway. The past two seasons, though, it's tough to argue against Rivers' production (62:20). He's been damn near elite. Right now I'd rank him fifth among active QBs though with Manning/Brees/Brady/Rodgers all better players in my opinion. The point is, Trent Green, Elvis Grbac, and Damon Huard were no Philip Rivers. We're talking about a top five NFL Quarterback in Rivers, not an All-Pro and certainly not a legend.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
            - For daily NFL draft coverage:
            www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

probably kellen winslow jr. or darnell dinkins

in all seriousness, gonzalez.

Comment

Originally posted by vidae View Post
                Gates is at 59. Tony is at 82. Both are still playing. Gates has a ways to go.

Tony has said this is his last year. If he matches his TD count from a year ago he will have 88 touchdowns in 15 seasons. Gates will be at 67 touchdowns in eight seasons. He would break that in three normal seasons for him and he wouldn't even be 34 by then. It is pretty much a foregone conclusion, minus injuries.

Comment

By the way: Clark and Witten have no chance to be the greatest of this era, or make the Hall of Fame. Clark is too injury prone and his production has only come on as of late. Witten just doesn't have the numbers and the Cowboys have shifted the offense to the WR in recent years. That is what sets Gonzalez and Gates apart, they were the primary passing weapon their entire careers. That cannot be said of anyone else mentioned on this list.

Comment

Tony has said this is his last year. If he matches his TD count from a year ago he will have 88 touchdowns in 15 seasons. Gates will be at 67 touchdowns in eight seasons. He would break that in three normal seasons for him and he wouldn't even be 34 by then. It is pretty much a foregone conclusion, minus injuries.
                    Tony is on record saying that there is a 50-50 chance he'll play after 2010, not 0%, unless he said it somewhere and I completely missed it.

And I'm not saying that Gates will never pass Tony, I'm saying he has a long way to go, which he does. And you're banking on Gates having at least 8 tds a year for the next three years?

Comment

Considering he is at 8-straight, uh yeah. ************* consistency!

Comment

Considering he is at 8-straight, uh yeah. ************* consistency!
                        You just jinxed it! Injury bug, injury bug! Drop him from your fantasy leagues guys!

Comment

It's okay, I got FINLEYZZZZ.

Comment

This is the golden age of receiving TEs. Never before have there been so many pass catching threats at the TE position, and in many cases they are among the best athletes on the field.

Gonzalez/Sharpe/Gates are 10s in my book, but there a heck of a lot of 9.9s. 9.8s. 9.5s, etc.

Guys who are just friggin superstars at the position IMO.

Put it this way; if a team w/ the best LB has to match him up against the best TE, that TE will EAT HIS LUNCH ALL DAY LONG.
                            Last edited by FUNBUNCHER; 08-30-2010, 02:11 AM.

Comment

Tony G by the stats clearly, and hes played for the chiefs soooo that hindered him alot.

Comment

Gonzo! And he is one of the nicest guys too!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information