No announcement yet.

Ranking NFL starting quarterbacks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Draft Ahmad Bradshaw my fellow swdc posters. He's going to be a steal in the 4th round of your drafts.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
      Draft Ahmad Bradshaw my fellow swdc posters. He's going to be a steal in the 4th round of your drafts.
      Is Jackson pretty much done? I have him in a league and am thinking about trading him now.

Comment

Stafford should have been first.

Comment

Both are mobile. Ben is tougher to bring down, but slightly slower. Both have wiggle to them though.

Both have huge arms. Both rely on those huge arms probably more than they should. Both can do a better job of presnap adjustments but both make it work regardless.

I'd say Flacco does a better job of anticipating routes, but Ben is more of a playmaker.

I can talk about these guys for hours, I've studied all of them pretty extensively. I just usually stay out of these convos bc it doesn't really go anywhere.
          fair enough....id even say flacco is a better passer than ben, but alot of QBs are. ive been saying that for years that ben is a great QB but not the best pure passer. it might be a little vague but i think guys like palmer, eli, rivers, flacco, ryan, are all much better passers than ben because they stick to fundamentals and for the most part make good decisions. but i think ben is a better overall QB than them with his clutch ability, his toughness to bring down, improvising skills, ability to avoid pressure and make plays down field. ben has guys in his face all all the time and still make plays, you get guys in flaccos face and he throws into the dirt. i remember like 8 straight passes the steelers forced flacco to just straight up throw the ball to the WRs feet

ben makes what seems to be idiotic decisions all the time, but half the time you are like....well damn, it wasnt pretty but it was effective. maybe ben could be a 4000+ yard passer on a regular basis but you could put a brick wall oline in front of him and hed still roll out, get hit unnecessarily, hold the ball too long, force the ball somewhere not everyone would which is why i understand when people have a hard time putting him on their top 5s because he does come off as inconsistent sometimes.

i just dont think he should be left off the lists because hes a douchebag, because he certainly is and always has been.

/end rant
          Originally posted by Boss+Manning=Banning View Post
          I know, I am just saying he is better than people realize. You see, I said it on this MB as well as others, but we failed in epic fashion in developing him quickly.

You guys had a great young offensive mind in Whisenhunt, while Rivers had Cam Cameron who developed Brees and Rivers.

We had Hufangel who got fired and now is out of the NFL. We had to promote Gilbride and then hire Chris Palmer who developed Eli into the QB he is, and he is getting better.

The problem is our system isn't a passing one like all these other QBs. So Eli will never get the eye popping stats as Ben or Rivers in the Air Croyell system.

Like Coughlin says, our identity is run the football, control the clock, and attack the passer. Sadly, Eli's numbers will never be eye popping. Last season was great to see from the prespective that we had no defense or running game. So Eli had to do everything, and still had a career year. Imagine that ALL the time like other QBs in different systems.

Make no mistake Eli has as much talent as the top QBs, but stick in a system, where it's run the ball with Bradshaw, Jacobs, and so on.
          valid points...but as you see from my post above i personally dont think numbers always tell the whole story. eli is more than good enough for me to have in the top 10...hes right behind ben/rivers/rodgers along with favre/schaub/ryan which is not bad company to be in at all
          E]

Comment

If Big Ben comes back from his suspension and plays very, very well and keeps his nose clean this offseason and possibly next, where would you rank him? On his play alone, I think he's a top 5-6 QB, yet his off the field acts need to stop.

Comment

Ben is fifth or sixth when he plays his best. However, like Shiver pointed out, he's inconsistent from year-to-year. He's been in the league for six years and his seasons have gone like this: good, very good, terrible, excellent, average, and excellent. You never know what you're going to get with him.

Comment

Originally posted by tjsunstein View Post
                You're telling me there's a gap in between Rivers and Rodgers? Humor me some more by trying to logic that.
                Resume, Rivers has had more time to pad has and as Rodgers racks up more and more massive years and strong playoff performances he'll likely move into the same tier as Rivers if not the same tier Brady, Peyton and Brees currently inhibit.

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
                Eli Manning took a long time to develop. From about 2005-2007 I began to doubt he ever would. Ever since that playoff run in the 2007 playoffs (because he was awful in the regular season that year, thank God for defense and the run game) he has blossomed into a mature, accurate passer who can flat out make plays. Last year was his first of what I think will be a pattern of 4,000 yard seasons.
                Eli has never been awful. He made some bad decisions because early on he got put in the role of bus driver who needs to come through in the last minutes of each half, so he pressed in those moments and made some bad decisions. That said Eli has been a very good hurry-up QB for us since his first start, so even when he wasn't at he was developing he was clutch thus making him not awful.

We might be the only team in the league that runs an iform heavy offense.

Our offense is so dated.

We probably will try to establish the run early, but will see it fail bc our oline can't block anymore, and will go back to more 3 WR sets out of necessity. My concern is we don't pass protect very well either, so unless the oline really wakes up, its going to be a long season offensively.
                We have some really crazy winds to deal with though that make it really hard for us to expect the passing game to carry us through December and January at home, so while I agree we have more talent in the passing game we need to keep the running game rolling.

As for the Eli/Big Ben clutch debate both are two of the clutchest QBs in the league right now, which is all I was saying, that Big Ben's biggest strength, his clutchness, isn't a clear advantage over Eli who's been straight up clutch since day one.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
                JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
                Originally posted by abaddon41_80
                Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
                Originally posted by JBCX
                Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

Originally posted by katnip View Post
                  I base Super Bowl rings in this heavily, and obviously based on last year. Also how I think they'll do this coming season.

1a) Peyton Manning
                  1b) Drew Brees
                  3) Aaron Rodgers
                  4) Tom Brady
                  5) Big Ben
                  6) Matt Schaub

7) Philip Rivers
                  8) Donovan McNabb
                  9) Brett Favre
                  10) Joe Flacco

I believe Big Ben will do very well when he comes back.
                  Not sure if serious?

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
                  JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
                  Originally posted by abaddon41_80
                  Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
                  Originally posted by JBCX
                  Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

How will the winds impact the passing game in the new stadium? It can't be worse than the old stadium, but is it better I wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosebud View Post
                      Resume, Rivers has had more time to pad has and as Rodgers racks up more and more massive years and strong playoff performances he'll likely move into the same tier as Rivers if not the same tier Brady, Peyton and Brees currently inhibit.
                      Resume alone should have Favre first by that logic and more of the older QBs toward the top of your order. What has Rivers done individually that puts him a tier over Rodgers? I know it's such a little thing but with so many having Rodgers over Rivers alone, myself included, I don't see how you can have him a full tier behind Rivers unless you're factoring in overall team success which isn't exactly the best judgement.

Comment

Originally posted by tjsunstein View Post
                        Resume alone should have Favre first by that logic and more of the older QBs toward the top of your order. What has Rivers done individually that puts him a tier over Rodgers? I know it's such a little thing but with so many having Rodgers over Rivers alone, myself included, I don't see how you can have him a full tier behind Rivers unless you're factoring in overall team success which isn't exactly the best judgement.

Rodgers was a hair better last year, but Rivers was far and away the best QB in the NFL in 2008.

Comment

My list would look like this -

1. Peyton Manning - Colts
                          2. Drew Brees - Saints

3. Tom Brady - Patriots
                          4. Aaron Rodgers - Packers
                          5. Philip Rivers - Chargers

6. Ben Roethlisberger - Steelers
                          7. Brett Favre - Vikings

8. Eli Manning - Giants
                          9. Tony Romo - Cowboys
                          10. Carson Palmer - Bengals
                          11. Matt Schaub - Texans (anyone could put up #'s throwing to A.J. but Schaub's pretty damn good)

12. Donovan McNabb - Redskins
                          13. Matt Ryan - Falcons
                          14. Jay Cutler - Bears
                          15. Joe Flacco - Ravens

16. Kevin Kolb - Eagles
                          17. Chad Henne - Dolphins
                          18. Vince Young - Titans

19. Matt Stafford - Lions
                          20. Matt Cassel - Chiefs
                          21. Alex Smith - 49ers
                          22. Kyle Orton - Broncos (I think the Marshall loss hurts - bold call)
                          23. Jason Campbell - Raiders
                          24. Matt Hasselbeck - Seahawks
                          25. Mark Sanchez - Jets
                          26. David Garrard - Jaguars

27. Josh Freeman - Buccaneers
                          28. Sam Bradford - Rams

29. Derek Anderson - Cardinals
                          30. Matt Moore - Panthers
                          31. Jake Delhomme - Browns
                          32. Trent Edwards - Bills

If Byron Leftwich/Matt Leinart were to be included they'd be behind Edwards for me.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
                          - For daily NFL draft coverage:
                          www.twitter.com/ryanlownes

Comment

If I was asked to pick a QB to run my offense tomorrow, it would probably look something like...

1. Tom Brady
                            2. Peyton Manning
                            3. Aaron Rodgers
                            4. Drew Brees
                            5. Phillip Rivers
                            6. Tony Romo
                            7. Matt Schaub
                            8. Eli Manning
                            9. Brett Favre
                            10. Ben Roethlisberger
                            11. Donovan McNabb
                            12. Jay Cutler
                            13. Vince Young
                            14. Matt Ryan
                            15. Joe Flacco
                            16. Carson Palmer

After that it gets all jumbled and messy and not good, so I stopped listing.
                            Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
                            The APS is strong in this one.
                            Originally posted by killxswitch
                            Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

26. Byron Leftwich, Pittsburgh Steelers

27. Matthew Stafford, Detroit Lions

Comment

A guy that will undoubtably jump up all of these lists next year will be Jay Cutler. Pains me to say it but he's going to make remarkable strides (stat wise) in the Mike Martz offese. He doesn't have a true number one but a reciever out of the backfield, solid high upside TE, and a couple guys I personally like (individually, of course) at WR. Completely unbiased opinion here.

Then again, the same argument can be made against him in this pass happy offense. Cutler's physical tools aren't questioned, it's his head and in an offense as gimmicky as this, his confidence should be through the roof.

With that said, the Bears suck.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information