Thoughts Heading Into The Season

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts Heading Into The Season

-I think people are sleeping on the titans. That defense is being labeled the new no name defense, and with just cause. They have a very good defense. There aren't any name guys on it, but they're just solid all around. It kind of reminds me of the 90s Giants defenses under John Fox. Just solid all around.

And while I don't think Young will put up incredible numbers, the guy is showing improvement, and I think the Titans have enough on offense to compliment that defense. Don't sleep on Blount to spell CJ2k either.

Best oline in the league, a slept on defense, great run game, great coach, and a good enough pass game. Sounds like a team who can make some noise to me.

Everyone is talking about the Texans. The Titans are the real contenders in this division to take on the Colts.

-YFS eluded to this earlier, and I'm starting to feel the same way, I think this is the first year in a long time that the NFC East only brings 1 team to the playoffs. Each team just has at least 1 major question mark heading into the season, and I just don't see the same overall talent in the division that I've seen in the past.

-I think the Panthers are another team that everyone is sleeping on. They're like an NFC version of the titans, great run game, great oline, solid qb who won't lose you the game, and an underrated defense.

-I love the Packers, but I'm not ready to call them a legit SB contender bc I think their defense is going to be mediocre this year. They probably will have one of the best offenses in the league though.

-The fate of the Chargers will lie with Shawn Merriman this year. I think the run game greatly improves, I think the pass game will be good enough to put up points, and I think the run defense will be there, and the pass coverage will be improved. But without Merriman coming back to form, this pass rush is still very mediocre, and you can't go far in the playoffs without a pass rush.

-I think Oakland makes improvements, but everyone is vastly overrating the addition of Jason Campbell. He still sucks, and their qb position will still be an issue.

-If any team gives the Chargers a hard time, I think its Denver. While I laugh at McDaniels some times (ok a lot of times), he's not that bad of a coach if he's given time to mold his own team. This team is loaded with veterans with leadership, and they can overcome some lack of talent and overachieve.

-Eric Berry and Earl Thomas are going to be studs.

-I've said this many times this offseason, the Jets are going to finish 3rd in the East, and the Dolphins and Pats will fight for the division. I see the Phins winning it with the Pats making a wildcard spot. I think the Pats defense is going to be better than people think.

I also think the Pats offense won't be as good as people think.

-I think the 4-3 defense is the new 3-4 defense. What I mean by that is, in the past, drafting for a 3-4 defense was great bc players fell to you later in the draft bc they weren't fits for the system that everyone ran.

With so many teams looking for 3-4 talent nowadays, you can build a hell of a 4-3 defense through the draft. Look at all the 4-3 talent that fell in this past draft, Houston, Brian Price, Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap, Daryl Washington (shouldve been drafted by a 4-3 team), Greg Hardy, Linval Joseph, the list goes on.

While I love the 3-4 defense, if I were a GM, i much rather build a 4-3 defense right now. Now is the time to have a 4-3.

-Call me crazy, but I like the Seahawks this year. I think their defense is better than people think, they had a great great draft, they have good running backs, an old but decent qb if healthy, and if Okung can bring stability to that oline, it'll be good enough to compete.

Wrs are overrated. Who cares if their WRs suck. They'll use a commitee.

I'm not sold on Alex Smith taking the 49ers to the promised land, I think Singletary has too much Herm Edwards in him to make the necessary adjustments during games and during the season, and I think the Cards are screwed without Warner.

I like the Seahawks.

-I think Kevin Kolb is going to be a disappointment. I never understood the hype.

-Raheem Morris is a joke of a HC. I can't believe he still has a job.

I'll add more later on.

Man I don't even have to make a post. I pretty much echo all of your thoughts. The Packers have too much hype, the NFC East isn't this massive beast division that's just going to throttle everyone else in the league and have 2 teams make the playoffs despite their tough schedules and the 49ers/Texans bandwagons once again are going to come up lame

And yea, the Jets. WTF. I have never in my life seen a 9-7 team, who was insanely lucky to get to 9-7 in the first place, get this much hype. And that's before you consider that their QB is still the Sanchize. Listen, I've watched teams with good defense and an erratic at best QB for the last decade. They don't sustain success from year to year, though they are prone to overachieving in the playoffs. Also, your D isn't consistently great year to year. It'll fall off a bit one year, then bounce back the next. This team has 7-9 written all over them.

Speaking of the Jets, Kevin Kolb should really be their QB. He has the same ridiculously misplaced hype for no reason at all. I think people are all over his nuts because they think his fantasy numbers will be good since he's going to throw 700 times, but that still doesn't make him a good real life QB.

The only thing you said I don't really agree with is the Seahawks. I won't write them off because that division SUCKS, but I just don't think they have enough talent this year and I don't think Pete Carroll is the type of guy to overachieve with a bunch of schlubs and guys he coached in college who washed out in the league. Give them a couple years and yea, they'll be back. Then again, I don't know anyone who looks good in the West so maybe they win it by default

I've thought for the last couple years that the Chargers are basically Philip Rivers and his receiver core, and if they slip up, they're screwed. Still not sure if this year will be any different. I like Mathews, but I dunno, you never want a rookie to be this key to your team. And the defense is still real iffy. Merriman going back to the old Merriman would be big, but the defense as a whole is a lot worse than it was 3 years ago. Don't think V-Jax will be as big a loss as some. He's the best WR they have, but you take him away and Rivers will make another 6'2 200+ 4.5 guy 80 or 90% of what he was

I'm trying to think of anything you didn't cover. Hmm, the NFC North. If the Lions weren't the Lions, I might have them as a darkhorse for the wildcard. As it is, they're going to effect the division race by upsetting one of the contenders, maybe twice. 6-10 maybe? I think they have an outside chance at finishing ahead of the Bears. I don't know why people think Martz and Cutler is a good combination. If anything, it's a terrible one and will just make Culter a worse QB
    Last edited by SchizophrenicBatman; 09-04-2010, 08:55 AM.

Comment

I agree on pretty much everything.

The Panthers don't scare me with Moore at QB, the faster Clausen comes in for them, the better off they are. If he can get "ruined" in that type of situation, he'll never succeed anywhere.

Titans offensive line is amazing, and Blount looks good too. Should be a powerful running game.

Pats passing game is going to put up big stats, and their defense will find a way to at least be serviceable, they always do.

Jets will be 3rd by a fair margin, I don't see them finishing first.

I'm glad someone else feels this way about the Packers too, I thought I was just going crazy.

Never really thought about that with the 3-4 and 4-3, but that is a valid point, and I like it!

Texans will disappoint, again. I'm sure they'll break through at some point since they are the "sleeper" every year it seems.

49ers have all of the ingredients for superbowl Gumbo, but they don't have the roux(QB). Alex Smith is going to hold that team back. Definitely wont be shocked to see Seattle win it, but at the same time, the 9ers might have enough talent to squeak it out.

Lol Kolb.
      Originally posted by SNIPER26
      fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

Originally posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
        And yea, the Jets. WTF. I have never in my life seen a 9-7 team, who was insanely lucky to get to 9-7 in the first place, get this much hype. And that's before you consider that their QB is still the Sanchize. Listen, I've watched teams with good defense and an erratic at best QB for the last decade. They don't sustain success from year to year, though they are prone to overachieving in the playoffs. Also, your D isn't consistently great year to year. It'll fall off a bit one year, then bounce back the next. This team has 7-9 written all over them.
        They were insanely lucky. I mean, it isn't like they didn't lose their most (maybe second most after Revis) important defensive player for the season 6 weeks in. It isn't like they didn't have their best pass rusher for the first 4 weeks.

It isn't like 5 of the 7 games we lost were within one possession. Or that we hadn't acquired a true number one receiver until midway through the season.

Instead, lets say the last two teams we played "laid down", which made the Jets extremely lucky. Although, one of the two teams just HAPPENED to be the team they played the next weekend in the playoffs and absolutely handed it to. And the other game, the Jets were straight up being blown out when the Colts pulled their starters. I mean, it wasn't a one possession game or anything.

Oh. Wait.

It's actually more trendy to say the Jets were "lucky" based on nothing, as opposed to thinking they will do good. But whatever, keep expecting the Jets to finish third in the division. As for Sanchez being erratic at best, I have never, in my life, seen a rookie QB be so destined by the masses to never be able to show any improvement. But that's cool. It's also trendy. Hate Sanchez. Hate the Jets. Let it play out on the field, and come January, one of us is going to be wrong. We'll take a look then.

Comment

This is the other thing about the Jets that bothers me. This us vs the world philosophy that is completely baseless. The rest of the NFL isn't out to get you (or at least they weren't, until you started talking endless amounts of ****). You aren't the Pats. You're the second New York team that no one cared about. And yea, maybe the Sanchize improves on his 12:20 TD ratio. He still won't be that good. At least not this year.

LOL @ saying you weren't lucky. Nothing else that happened in your season cancels out the fact that two teams laid down for you. Everyone else gets injuries. Everyone else loses close games. It's why you see teams go from 5-11 one year to 11-5 the next. But no one gets gifted a playoff spot because two teams don't play their starters. I also love how the fact that you beat the Bengals in the playoffs somehow is supposed to counteract this, too. How many times do teams split their division series, again?

Comment

Come on man, Rex even quit on the Jets when things looked bleak. This team is going to implode if they even have a hint of losing.
            Originally posted by SNIPER26
            fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

Originally posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
              This team is going to implode if they even have a hint of losing.
              I very much agree with this.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Homer thought.

Dexter Mcclusster is going to have a Percy Harvin type impact.

Non Homer thought.

Brett Favre's starting streak will end.

Comment

This is the other thing about the Jets that bothers me. This us vs the world philosophy that is completely baseless. The rest of the NFL isn't out to get you (or at least they weren't, until you started talking endless amounts of ****). You aren't the Pats. You're the second New York team that no one cared about. And yea, maybe the Sanchize improves on his 12:20 TD ratio. He still won't be that good. At least not this year.

LOL @ saying you weren't lucky. Nothing else that happened in your season cancels out the fact that two teams laid down for you. Everyone else gets injuries. Everyone else loses close games. It's why you see teams go from 5-11 one year to 11-5 the next. But no one gets gifted a playoff spot because two teams don't play their starters. I also love how the fact that you beat the Bengals in the playoffs somehow is supposed to counteract this, too. How many times do teams split their division series, again?
                  That's the thing you can never forget, the Jets are like the Mets if the Yankees weren't as successful as they have been. They're clearly NY's second team, but because the Giants aren't the winningest team in history they feel like the difference isn't as blatant. Plus a lot of Jets fans are just ignorant *****, which is the one thing I hold against the Jets, the most ignorant New Yorkers all seem to be Jets fans.

EDIT for Crickett:
                  I'm not saying that only the Jets have ingorant fans or that all Jets fans are ignorant, for example the Jets fans on here are all general good fans and knowledgeable, just that in real life most of the most football ignorant New Yorkers I've come across have been Jets fans.
                  Last edited by Rosebud; 09-04-2010, 11:18 AM.

BK

Originally posted by AcheTen
                  JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
                  Originally posted by abaddon41_80
                  Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
                  Originally posted by JBCX
                  Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Comment

I don't have any hate for the Jets. I love Rex to be honest, he's great entertainment and I love his schemes.

In fact, I love the whole coaching staff. Schottenheimer is going to be a great HC one day too. They have a solid group of coaches.

I just happen to think the Jets aren't as good as people think they are. I don't think they're as talented as they're perceived to be.

Comment

This is too true. No one really cared until your head coach started being a loud mouth douche and ranting about how they should be the favs to win it all when two weeks previously he completely gave up on them.

Originally posted by WMD
                      Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
                      Originally posted by gpngc
                      I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                        I don't think they're as talented as they're perceived to be.
                        Yeah...this.

This team lucked into the playoffs despite having a great running game and a great defense. If you excel at those two things and still only win 9 games, you're pretty damn far away from being amazingly talented, and it's not like Tomlinson and Taylor are going to change the deficiencies that team has.

I think Sanchez is going to struggle this year and that the team confidence that's been pumped up since the start of last year's playoffs is going to deflate.

Comment

homer thought

Eric Berry and Kendrick Lewis will be studs for many years

non homer thought

Vikings will miss the playoffs

Comment

I agree about the Titans but I wouldn't call their offensive line the best in the league. I would take the Dolphins and Jets, and possibly Patriots if I was building a pass orientated team, over them.

And I obviously disagree when it comes to the 49ers. People are underrated Alex Smith. In all his time with us he has never been the main problem this team has had and, judging by how he performed last year and in the preseason, he won't do it this year. If anything holds the 49ers back it will be the offensive coordinator.

Comment

I hope Rex keeps talking the way he does all year long. I want the Jets to get all the headlines. The Giants always do better when they fly under the radar.

The Jets getting all the attention is good for the Giants, so I'm fine with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information