No announcement yet.

Helmet to Helmet Hits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If someone does end up going to helmet to helmet but was trying to wrap their arms around is it still going to be a penalty?

Comment

• It takes away from the agressiveness of the sport.Thats why theres no WNFL, this is supposed to be a manly sport.Stop being scared of the hit balling up with your head down and you'll just get hit in the stomach or chest.These WR's need to man up.

By:BK the God

Comment

• Originally posted by Jvig43 View Post
        Yeah I really dont think the Welker his was as big as people thought. However the Boldin hit a few years ago was most certainly deserving of a fine, no one cried about changing the rules then.
        Not so. If I remember correct, Smith was pushed into Boldin making it a much more dangerous collision.
        Originally posted by Jakey View Post
        75k is a joke...Harrison was commited to the tackle, its not like you can pull up when youre traveling at 15mph, half a second away from impact. Massaqoi should have known better, hit the ******* deck.
        Somewhat agreed on that one but Harrison headhunts. A blow to the head in that instance is viscous when the rest of his body is fair game.

Originally posted by P-L View Post
        The world is filled with choices. The NFL has every right to try and make the jobs of their employees safer. If James Harrison doesn't like the new rules, no one is going to force him to stay in the NFL. At the same time, no one is forcing you as a fan to watch the NFL if you don't like their rules.

I see no problem with the NFL trying to make the game safer and eliminate serious injuries. I imagine that the NFL is going to review all helmet-to-helmet hits before just handing out suspensions. I have a hard time believing that minor or accidental helmet-to-helmet contact is really going to warrant a suspension. A fine really isn't much money compared to what these players make. It's not enough of a punishment or deterrent. Sure, accidents do happen but there are still players who are intentionally leading with their heads and right now there is no reason for them to stop.
        This ruling is a complete mess. Refs on the field are not on the same page so a rule is instituted that just puts a blanket on all big hits. The ruling is completely ambiguous, as is the review process. If Harrison gets fined for the Massaquoi hit, for intending to go to the head, but is not fouled for intending and carrying out a spear to the head of Cribbs, then I have no confidence in this system working properly at all. If safety is the primary concern it wouldn't be so clearly biased for the WR and not the RB. If it was a matter of safety a more appropriate ruling would be any lowering of the head collisions, anywhere on the field, will result in suspensions-you'd see nothing but form tackles soon enough then.

Originally posted by borg9
        Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?

Comment

• Originally posted by J-Mike88 View Post
          How do we know if a guy is leading with their helmet/head? Sometimes it's hard to tell if their shoulder is forward or if it's their head.
          If their eyes are facing down, that's a rock solid clue that the head will be leading. Although some are stumps (Urlacher), everyone has a neck.. the head always leads the shoulders if their eyes are facing downward.

Does it matter what his intentions are?
          Nope. It's not intent that makes a difference to the guy getting his head smashed. Hpw often does a guy say yes he was trying to injure the guy? Never. But they're well aware the damage that can result and they still do it.

What's the big deal anyway?
          Players get injured enough the way it is from regular action in this physical game (ask Packers, Eagles fans right now).
          The NFL owes it to it's players, their health, the league, and the fans to do the feasible things they can to cut down any injuries when possible, just like the horse collar, chop blocks, low hits at QBs knees, etc. That's also why they went from rock hard artificial turf to the new field turfs.

What should the penalties be for the guys who keep using their rocks as weapons on defenseless receivers and runners?
          2 game suspension for first offense going forward
          4 game suspension for 2nd offense
          8 game suspension for 3rd offense
          16 game suspension for 4th offense
          Lifetime ban for 5th offense
          Good thing you answered the questions you that have on your mind hahaha. But seriously i do not like your chart at all

Props to BoneKrusher for the sig
          Hit me up on XBOX Live: totallynotalex

Comment

• Offensive players should get suspended for lowering their head as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
              On all the videos I've seen, I've seen zero arm extension. No attempt to make the tackle, just lunging at a guy. There's your intent right there.
              There intent is to break up the pass. Since they cannot reach out and deflect it or pick it off, their next resort is to separate player from ball, which has been around since the dawn of football. The best defensive back of all-time, Ronnie Lott, did this on a ******* weekly basis. He would be called a repeat offender, a dirty player and suspended every other week in todays game. "Just lunging at a guy." It is the most effective way to break up a pass and the text book, wrap up tackle is not always possible, especially in these situations.

NFLN Playbook just broke down every hit, even the BS Jim Leonard penalty, and talked about each hit extensively. They said, as the rule is written, only Meriweather and Harrison's hit on Massaquoi were illegal, should have been flagged and should have been fines. If Harrison didn't leave his feet, he would have been within the rules.

They all (Sharp, Wilcots, Mayock - former players) think the NFL is taking away from the physicality of the game and Sterling Sharp said by week 17 it will have gotten out of hand. They're fining players for clean hits, within the rules of the rule book they have written. They all blamed DeSean Jackson and Massaquoi as well for not recognizing zone coverage and not stopping in the zone.
              Last edited by BigBanger; 10-19-2010, 07:11 PM.
              Originally posted by Scott Wright
              I honestly believe Reggie Bush has turned into exactly the type of player I envisioned.
              Originally posted by PossibleCabbage
              I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
              Originally posted by bearsfan_51
              iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
              Originally posted by GatorsBullsFan
              I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
              Originally posted by GoRavens
              Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Comment

• Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                With that pass and the Desean Jackson one, I haven't heard a single person blame the qb for hanging the wr out to dry once. Not once.
                Check the first post of this topic. I'm with you.

Comment

• Dunta Robinson hit was crucial, but I think Merriweather deserved a 75k fine as well, he went straight for the dome.

Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown
                  The most important thing, however, is how strong their swagger factors are.
                  Newton
                  South of the Mason Dixon +10 swagger
                  Barely literate +5 swagger
                  Thief +15 swagger
                  Kicked off of a team of thugs +20 swagger
                  Big, average speed -3 swagger
                  Hasn't done jacksquat on the field +15 swagger
                  Total Swagger: 62
                  ATL College Park Zone 3* +20 swagger Bonus pts

Comment

• James Harrison is appealing his fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by shylo3716 View Post
                      Dunta Robinson hit was crucial, but I think Merriweather deserved a 75k fine as well, he went straight for the dome.
                      VP of Football Operations said Meriweather hit likely will cause a suspension with the new consequences in place.

Harrison was fined 75k because he was a repeat offender.

Follow Me on Twitter!
                      https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

• When you go low to make a takle your head is in front. THERE IS NO WAY TO AVOID THIS!!!All this is going to do is make defenses scared to takle. AND OFFENSIVE PLAYERS LOWER THEIR HEADS TOO. SUSPEND THEM

Comment

• Do people not understand the rule isn't changing at all?

Follow Me on Twitter!
                          https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam

Comment

• Originally posted by Shane P. Hallam View Post
                            Do people not understand the rule isn't changing at all?
                            Not the rule, but how it is being enforced is. This is a pretty big deal to automatically bring up suspensions fro 1st timers, imho this should wait till the end of the season.

Props to BoneKrusher for the sig
                            Hit me up on XBOX Live: totallynotalex

Comment

• IT's a strong point about offense lowering their head. If offensive players don't lower their own head, a bunch of helmet to helmet hits nevere happen.
                              Originally posted by SNIPER26
                              fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

• If a receiver has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself, a defensive player is prohibited from launching (springing forward and upward) into him in a way that causes the defensive player's helmet, facemask, shoulder, or forearm to forcibly strike the receiver's head or neck area -- even if the initial contact of the defender's helmet, facemask, shoulder, or forearm is lower than the receiver's neck.
                                Defenseless WR rule. So they are going to be fined much more harshly or suspended for violating any of that rule even if not flagged it seems. I don't quite understand the last part though and why you would be flagged.

Also WTF is a "devastating" hit?
                                Last edited by brat316; 10-19-2010, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information