Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brian Dawkins place in among safety's?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Brian Dawkins place in among safety's?

    Just wondering what his place is.. Considering he's made quite a few pro bowl & all pro teams
    Jets, Mets, Knicks, and the U's too cool for uze

    Sig by, Hitman D

  • #2
    As an Eagles fan, I'm somewhat biased, but his place among safeties is way up on the list. I'm not going to go all out homer and say he is the best Safety to ever play the game, but he is a man who will get into the HOF, and if it were up to me, it'd be first ballot. That said, it may be tough to make first ballot HOF for him, but it is definitely possible. In his prime he was an elite force in every aspect of his game, and even now is still a feared member of the secondary. As far as his "place in history", I'd say he is right in the second tier of greatest Safeties.
    Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

    Rest in Peace, themaninblack

    Comment


    • #3
      Dawkins helped redefine the position of FS. He was amazingly effective in coverage and at the line of scrimmage. In his prime, he covered amazing amounts of ground. His numbers stack up well, and he's the only safety with 20+ INT's and 20+ sacks in his career. He was the best or one of the best safeties in football for about 10 years. Might not be a first ballot HOFer, but he will make it to Canton eventually.



      I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

      Comment


      • #4
        Doesn't matter, pure safeties rarely make it into Canton, no matter who they are.

        Darren Woodson, Steve Atwater, John Lynch, etc. and endless names I'm certainly forgetting are on par with kickers and special teamers when it comes to HOF voters.

        We'll see if safeties start to receive more consideration as times passes, but I doubt it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Woodson will eventually make it as a CB/S. He has the numbers and the titles. Dawkins was a revolutionary type of safety. He will eventually make it. I believe he had a greater impact and for longer than Atwater and Lynch. He is likely the best of his generation.



          I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
            Dawkins helped redefine the position of FS. He was amazingly effective in coverage and at the line of scrimmage. In his prime, he covered amazing amounts of ground. His numbers stack up well, and he's the only safety with 20+ INT's and 20+ sacks in his career. He was the best or one of the best safeties in football for about 10 years. Might not be a first ballot HOFer, but he will make it to Canton eventually.
            Oh, hi... My name is Rodney.


            Originally posted by ElectricEye
            I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.

            Comment


            • #7
              I think there may be 3 or 4 safeties with 20 and 20, but Harrison is the only with 30 and 30, and Dawk is the only with 20 sacks and 35 INTs. At least I think, its been a while since I looked at any of it. Either way, its a great accomplishment, for both of them.
              Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

              Rest in Peace, themaninblack

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Razor View Post
                Oh, hi... My name is Rodney.

                Show him as a Charger. That is where he did his real damage. Rodney was my all-time favorite prior to his NE days...


                Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

                Originally posted by dRaFtDoRk
                You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
                  Show him as a Charger. That is where he did his real damage. Rodney was my all-time favorite prior to his NE days...
                  He was damn good in NE and actually showcased his abilities in the playoffs where he was a ******* beast. Probably one of the most underrated safeties over the last 15 years. I think he's a HOFer.

                  With Dawkins "generation" of safeties I would rank him 3rd/4th (really a toss up with Harrison imo).

                  1. Ed Reed
                  2. Tory Polamalu
                  3. Rodney Harrison
                  4. Brian Dawkins
                  5. Darren Sharper
                  Originally posted by Scott Wright
                  I honestly believe Reggie Bush has turned into exactly the type of player I envisioned.
                  Originally posted by PossibleCabbage
                  I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
                  Originally posted by bearsfan_51
                  iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
                  Originally posted by GatorsBullsFan
                  I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
                  Originally posted by GoRavens
                  Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by BigBanger View Post
                    He was damn good in NE and actually showcased his abilities in the playoffs where he was a ******* beast. Probably one of the most underrated safeties over the last 15 years. I think he's a HOFer.

                    With Dawkins "generation" of safeties I would rank him 3rd/4th (really a toss up with Harrison imo).

                    1. Ed Reed
                    2. Tory Polamalu
                    3. Rodney Harrison
                    4. Brian Dawkins
                    5. Darren Sharper
                    Ed Reed isn't in brian dawkins generation, he's five years younger (as is Troy) and isnt even close to the run supporting safety dawkins is. Reed is a playmaker, a ballhawk, an amazing cover safety, but he isnt near dawkins or harrison in run defense.

                    Dawkins wasn't used as a rover like Troy and Harrison were as well, he isn't in any way better than either, but he's no joke- he's vicious against run and pass and was the heart of his team for a very long time. I dont like the eagles, but i sure as hell respect Dawkins

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by BigBanger View Post
                      He was damn good in NE and actually showcased his abilities in the playoffs where he was a ******* beast. Probably one of the most underrated safeties over the last 15 years. I think he's a HOFer.

                      With Dawkins "generation" of safeties I would rank him 3rd/4th (really a toss up with Harrison imo).

                      1. Ed Reed
                      2. Tory Polamalu
                      3. Rodney Harrison
                      4. Brian Dawkins
                      5. Darren Sharper
                      who the f*ck is Tory?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
                        I think there may be 3 or 4 safeties with 20 and 20, but Harrison is the only with 30 and 30, and Dawk is the only with 20 sacks and 35 INTs. At least I think, its been a while since I looked at any of it. Either way, its a great accomplishment, for both of them.
                        There are 3 currently playing. Dawkins, Adrian Wilson and Lawyer Milloy.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I would argue that Dawkins is the "Ray Lewis" of safeties, all heart and soul, clearly from a leadership perspective one of the top safeties of all time (Harrison is in the conversation as well), smart, and he produced. If I had a vote for the Hall his name would be on it all ready...
                          Better in coverage than Troy, but not as good as Reed or Sharper, good in run support just below Troy and Harrison, but not more than a hair or two behind, over all I would put him behind Troy and Reed at #3 overall, and if Reed didnt control the air like he does, I would put him at #2 overall. In regards to this current generation in general.
                          "It must be contract year!"

                          Deion Sanders

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I think like a lot of Safeties he may struggle when it comes to the Hall. I don't believe he's a first ballot Hall of Famer. He's right in the same group as Rodney Harrison, John Lynch etc IMO(just to clarify I believe Harrison would be most deserving as he has the stats, his play spoke for itself and the rings). However there were great safeties passed over and when it comes down they may have to compete directly with Ed Reed and Polamalu who are almost definite first ballot HoFers


                            BoneKrusher killing it with the sig

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by BaLLiN View Post
                              Ed Reed isn't in brian dawkins generation, he's five years younger (as is Troy) and isnt even close to the run supporting safety dawkins is. Reed is a playmaker, a ballhawk, an amazing cover safety, but he isnt near dawkins or harrison in run defense.

                              Dawkins wasn't used as a rover like Troy and Harrison were as well, he isn't in any way better than either, but he's no joke- he's vicious against run and pass and was the heart of his team for a very long time. I dont like the eagles, but i sure as hell respect Dawkins
                              I think the top 4 players I listed deserve to be in the Hall of Fame and I think they're all among the best safeties to ever play. That includes Dawkins. I put Dawkins in with Reed and Troy since Dawkins is still playing, and he was playing at a high level while Reed and Troy were playing at a high level. I used the word generation loosely (see quotation marks). They all played during the same time period. That, simply put, is a generation.

                              Reed didn't have to be up in the box. That wasn't his job. He could do it, but he was on a defense talented enough to utilize his ball hawking skills and take away the deep ball. Reed wasn't just a ballhawk, he was the best ballhawk to ever play and no one else is even close. Sean Taylor would have probably developed into that kind of rare ballhawk. Dawkins wasn't the best run support safety. He was a complete player, but not necessarily a better player than Reed. With that said, I think Dawkins is one of the best 5 or 10 safeties of all time and a guy who should be a first ballot Hall of Famer. He is one of my favorite players, but so is Troy Polamalu, Rodney Harrison and Ed Reed.

                              My list would be:

                              1. Ronnie Lott
                              2. Ed Reed
                              3. Troy Polamalu
                              4. Rodney Harrison
                              5. Brian Dawkins
                              6. Steve Atwater
                              7. Jack Tatum
                              8. Larry Wilson
                              9. John Lynch
                              10. Darren Sharper

                              I think the top 8 are all Hall of Fame caliber players.
                              Originally posted by Scott Wright
                              I honestly believe Reggie Bush has turned into exactly the type of player I envisioned.
                              Originally posted by PossibleCabbage
                              I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
                              Originally posted by bearsfan_51
                              iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
                              Originally posted by GatorsBullsFan
                              I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
                              Originally posted by GoRavens
                              Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information