Potential head coaching candidates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nepg View Post
    It's not. Not in this case. You're delusional if you think that more than 50% of that team is even coachable.
    Uh. Yes it is.
    Marvin just is not good at it.
    We have a ton of talent on both sides of the ball.
    We keep killing ourselves.

You are 100% wrong if you think the biggest problem with this team isn't coaching.

bonekrusher
    The Twitters
    themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by nepg View Post
      It's not. Not in this case. You're delusional if you think that more than 50% of that team is even coachable.
      No, it's coaching. They need to go back to the Bruce Coslet/Dave Shula/Dick LeBeau days, which is where they will be going back to when Marvin Lewis is gone.

Comment

We have had the same offense since 2005.
        We dont have any discipline.

Im seriously wondering how on earth you think it isnt Marvin's fault for the horrible game management and preparation for games.

bonekrusher
        The Twitters
        themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by Bengals78 View Post
          We have had the same offense since 2005.
          We dont have any discipline.

Im seriously wondering how on earth you think it isnt Marvin's fault for the horrible game management and preparation for games.
          Maybe it's all his fault. We'll find out when he's gone. I'm betting we see more of the 1991-2002 Bungles

Comment

Anyone who thinks Marvin is a good coach is in denial and just looking to dog the Bengals.

He is terrible with game plans, horrible at using time outs and challenges. Our team never comes out playing hard and always a ton of penalties. Im sorry but that is all coaching.

News flash
            No coaches are good with challenges, the best dont even hit 50%. So saying that is rather pointless. And a lot of coaches are a little loose with their timeouts or screw up clock management. he is a little stubborn though doesnt adjust the gameplan very quickly.

Playing hard and penalties is as much on the players as coaches. Theyre the ones playing and taking penalties and being lazy, coaches need to motivate them to play hard but if they are undisciplined that also on the players too. Not saying Marvin is good. Hes run his course their and i dont think they wanna play for him anymore, lost their respect. They need fresh blood who the team will respond to and who will be a little more creative and aggressive, change up the schemes a bit.

But not what i came to post about, i wanted to post this yesterday but got distracted. anyway....

At the beginnning of the year, people were calling for coughlin to get ousted if they sucked this year again. As a giants guy ive never been a big fan of his but theyre playing well to start the year.

HOWEVER....

theyve played soft late in games and let teams hang around a few times, and now started slow today...If they collapse late in the year, is he out? i think hes still got a year after that but it also brings something else to light:

Are their any teams that you think will collapse late in the season whose coach will suffer the consequences?

Texans look like a winner for that title right now
            Last edited by hockey619; 11-14-2010, 05:06 PM.
            Originally posted by Thumper/JBCX/Bixby
            Orton will never be in the same class as the Drew Brees or the Peyton Mannings or the Tom Bradys of the world. Kevin Kolb has the potential to be that kind of player.

Comment

Originally posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
              Maybe it's all his fault. We'll find out when he's gone. I'm betting we see more of the 1991-2002 Bungles
              We arent right now at 2-7?

bonekrusher
              The Twitters
              themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by hockey619 View Post
                News flash
                No coaches are good with challenges, the best dont even hit 50%. So saying that is rather pointless. And a lot of coaches are a little loose with their timeouts or screw up clock management. he is a little stubborn though doesnt adjust the gameplan very quickly.

Playing hard and penalties is as much on the players as coaches. Theyre the ones playing and taking penalties and being lazy, coaches need to motivate them to play hard but if they are undisciplined that also on the players too.

But not what i came to post about, i wanted to post this yesterday but got distracted. anyway....

At the beginnning of the year, people were calling for coughlin to get ousted if they sucked this year again. As a giants guy ive never been a big fan of his but theyre playing well to start the year.

HOWEVER....

theyve played soft late in games and let teams hang around a few times, and now started slow today...If they collapse late in the year, is he out? i think hes still got a year after that but it also brings something else to light:

Are their any teams that you think will collapse late in the season whose coach will suffer the consequences?

Texans look like a winner for that title right now
                Um the point is challenging QUESTIONABLE calls. Marvin challenges the dumbest calls. Clean plays that shouldn't be. He does. When he should he keeps it in his pocket.

THAT is the problem with Marvin.

And here is a news flash for you:
                When your team is not prepared for games, that is coaching. It is the coaches job to prepare the team.

bonekrusher
                The Twitters
                themaninblack

Comment

Uh. Yes it is.
                  Marvin just is not good at it.
                  We have a ton of talent on both sides of the ball.
                  We keep killing ourselves.

You are 100% wrong if you think the biggest problem with this team isn't coaching.
                  Where?
                  TO's old and has only a few years left, Ocho is mailing it in i think hes on his way out, Palmer is regressing and very average at this point, the defense has regressed and isnt playing inspired football like last year, the line hasnt been too bad but definitely average at best, (but andre smith needs to be at guard: ok tackle elite potential at guard been saying that since that draft).

Some of this could be fixed by a new coach who they respect more and show more heart for. But the fact is they also arent built very well for the long haul right now, some peices but nothing to get excited about. Add a cheap owner and im thinking the signs are bad in Cincy. Marvin isnt the biggest problem but hes def not making it any better. Idk if im buying that someone else could right this ship though too many holes that will become more glaring quickly i think.

Idk if theyll be that bad with an inspirational coach, but they need someone that can really rally the troops. Zimmer would be solid in charge, or maybe rob ryan with his loud mouth style would be someone these guys could rally around
                  Orton will never be in the same class as the Drew Brees or the Peyton Mannings or the Tom Bradys of the world. Kevin Kolb has the potential to be that kind of player.

Comment

We arent right now at 2-7?
                    You're really overrating the talent on your roster, underrating just how much of a blight Mike Brown is on that team, and you're gonna end up missing Marvin Lewis when he's gone.

Comment

Idk if theyll be that bad with an inspirational coach, but they need someone that can really rally the troops. Zimmer would be solid in charge, or maybe rob ryan with his loud mouth style would be someone these guys could rally around
                      Since 1990, the Bengals have not been bad, they've been awful with the exception of the Marvin Lewis era. 2 division titles in a division with the Ravens and Steelers.

As long as Mike Brown is the owner of that team, Marvin Lewis is the best that fan base can hope for.

Comment

Since 1990, the Bengals have not been bad, they've been awful with the exception of the Marvin Lewis era. 2 division titles in a division with the Ravens and Steelers.

As long as Mike Brown is the owner of that team, Marvin Lewis is the best that fan base can hope for.

Eh, i agree Brown is a problem, but dont you think a good D coach could do something with the untapped potential?

I think Rob Ryan would be a good fit, but i dont think Brown would like his personality and if Zimmer cant get that D going you gotta wonder who could.

Comment

They're old offensively and they have a ton of uncoachable players. If they were getting the execution they should expect on offense, they'd be 7-2. Defensively, they've been fine. It probably is time for Carson Palmer to go.

Comment

Where?
                            TO's old and has only a few years left, Ocho is mailing it in i think hes on his way out, Palmer is regressing and very average at this point, the defense has regressed and isnt playing inspired football like last year, the line hasnt been too bad but definitely average at best, (but andre smith needs to be at guard: ok tackle elite potential at guard been saying that since that draft).

Some of this could be fixed by a new coach who they respect more and show more heart for. But the fact is they also arent built very well for the long haul right now, some peices but nothing to get excited about. Add a cheap owner and im thinking the signs are bad in Cincy. Marvin isnt the biggest problem but hes def not making it any better. Idk if im buying that someone else could right this ship though too many holes that will become more glaring quickly i think.

You might need to tell TO he is that old because before this week he was top 10 in all major WR stats. Carson runs hot and cold and has been victim of Bob B and Marvin thinking they could draft crap OL in the late rounds and still keep Carson healthy. It failed. Carson got knocked around and hasnt been the same since.

You're really overrating the talent on your roster, underrating just how much of a blight Mike Brown is on that team, and you're gonna end up missing Marvin Lewis when he's gone.
                            Saying I will miss Marvin is like me saying you will miss Romeo because he lucked into a 10-6 year. And that since getting rid of him you will pine to have Butch Davis back.

I have never underestimated Brown's suckage. And I see how that has any bearings on this.

Marvin is not a good coach. Plain and simple. His teams are always undisciplined and lack motivation. He never uses his challenges right and doesnt know how to manage a game clock.

bonekrusher
                            The Twitters
                            themaninblack

Comment

^ Nice post. I agree that the Bengals are probably going to have to blow everything up and start over. I understand Marvin Lewis hasn't really had the ideal situation to coach in as far as having a say in who is on the team etc., but after so many years it's just time to admit that the Lewis/Palmer era isn't going to win any Super Bowls.

Comment

That team is insanely talented and is ready to win. He'd either bring someone in or turn Jackson into a good QB.
                                I don't like this myth. I think we have the most overrated team going around. Hutch is our only above average OLman and he has shown pretty clear decline in past couple of years. McKinnie flat out can not pass block, it is borderline laughable this year. Loadholt is spot on average but again, he is neither a mauler or a good pass blocker. Herrera is probably our 2nd best lineman, that just about sums it up.

Rice has been out all year and has exactly one good/healthy year in his career. Favre is Favre, no arguing he can win games but he also can lose them and at this point he is done. He is also stubborn as all hell and refuses to do anything for the team at this point. That said, when he calls the plays the offense looks a lot better... Peterson is a superstar, just imagine him on a team with good blocking and playcalling. Harvin is my favourite ever total whiff on a prospect, that said he is becoming worse and worse at being on the field with his myriad injuries.

Defensively I can't help but feel vastly overrated. Pat has lost a step this year and is finally looking his age. Allen is a star. KWill is a star. Unfortunately both are having poor seasons. Ray is a solid player in a great situation. Greenway has quietly become a star but Leber is the definition of average, does nothing above average type of player. Henderson is a thumper with some serious limitations. The secondary is an absolute joke that is entirely dependant on the pass rush to have any affect on a game.

Maybe I'm just a pessimistic fan but I just don't agree with the popular consensus that we have so much talent. We have a few stars and a lot of average to below average players. I won't argue that playcalling kills us, we should be a run first team as that plays to both our best player and the "strength" of our offensive line but we are not a team that can play from behind well because of our makeup and whilst coaching is an obvious issue, I still don't buy we have that much talent. We have benefited greatly from just how bad the Lions and Bears have been the past few years and have had the edge against the Packers but I said at the start of the year that I fully expected them to put daylight between us this year and they have, losing to the Bears just further emphasises where we are at, the only real difference between us the past couple of years is our stars were healthy and theirs weren't. This year they have been and it has moved us further down.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information