Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Monomach View Post
    Other teams that need a blowup: Jags
    The Jaguars need good safeties, a good corner, a QB of the future, some O-line depth, LB depth and WR depth. I wouldn't call that blowing up. The team was blown up already, now it's being built.

by BoneKrusher
    <DG> how metal unseen
    <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
      Build a power run team around AP....

But I don't think they're blowing up anytime soon. Given their stadium situation, they'll be compelled to win now. They'll probably keep the team 90% in tact, bring in a new coach, and trade for or sign an old veteran QB (Palmer? McNabb? Hasselbeck? Kevin Kolb??) and try to at least eek out a playoff birth.
      What's funny is that the guys we have at offensive line are probably best suited for a power run scheme but Childress insisted on going with zone blocking. I wouldn't blow up the entire Vikings roster, just the secondary and quarterbacks.

Comment

Robert Quinn?

Comment

Originally posted by njx9
          blah blah blah
          You still don't get it. Yes, the Broncos made a mistake by going with McDaniels over one of the defensive options. That's not on McDaniels, he didn't hire himself. If you thought that he was coming in to run Shanahan's offense, you have mental illnesses beyond healing. So yeah, he blew up a perfectly good offense because it wasn't going to work for him. Every coach does this.

You're overreacting, and acting as if they can just fire McDaniels and instantly be better. Which just isn't the case. They're not going to get someone better than McDaniels because he's really good. They need to fix up the defense now that the offense is mostly where Josh wants it, and they'll be on their way to contending again.

Bring in any coach now, and they'll blow it all up again because the roster is taylor-made for McDaniels' offense, which no one else can run.

Comment

Originally posted by FuzzyGopher View Post
            What's funny is that the guys we have at offensive line are probably best suited for a power run scheme but Childress insisted on going with zone blocking. I wouldn't blow up the entire Vikings roster, just the secondary and quarterbacks.
            This. Apparently AP, Rice, Harvin, Allen, K-Williams, Greenway and a few others need to be pushes aside. Smart choices at the obvious problem areas will make this effort easier and quicker.
            Originally posted by Scott Wright
            I could also go on a rant about how Uncle Joe from Willky Wonka is a major dick.

Comment

The whole blow up or build up thing is a lot of grey area. Every team in the NFL should try to have a quality coach, quality starting QB, quality lines, etc. Whatever you want to call it, teams need those things and should try to get them if they don't already have them.

Comment

What are Josh McDaniels' credentials, exactly, anyway? The fact that he was on the staff during the Patriots 2007 season?

Guess who has the #1 offense in the NFL this year? A team called the Patriots. Guess who's not on the Patriots staff right now?

Maybe Boy Genius McDaniels had less to do with the past success of the Patriots offense than um, some guy named Brady and some guy named Belichick?

Comment

no, he blew it up because he's an egotistical piece of ****, just like every other assistant who's come out of new england. they all want to prove it was really them who was smart, and not just belichick.
                  OMG! An offensive coordinator takes over a team that was run by an offensive coach with a completely different philosophy on offense, in the lockerroom, and on defense? And he blew everything up to make it how he wants it? Inconceivable!

(I'll just reiterate that I though McDaniels to the Broncos was a bad move. McDaniels should have gone to Detroit with Spags or Schwartz going to Denver. Both teams would be better off right now.)

It's not being "an egotistical piece of ****", it's McDaniels doing what he thinks he has to do in order to build a team that will win in the long-term.

He completely blew up a solid team, brought in character guys to build a lockerroom, made a couple questionable moves on draft day, and ended up with the same record as the year before him. I think that's pretty positive. They're likely to finish with 6 or 7 wins this year, and have a lot to look forward to.

They're having a down year in 2010 because the defense regressed with Nolan gone and with all the injuries that have built up. McDaniels chose to gamble on the defense and try to get the offense set up for long-term success this past off-season (I thought he did well in that regard). He'll get to the defense this coming off-season.

The main thing for me is that it's stupid for you to hate on McDaniels because he's just doing what he was hired to do. They should have gone with Schwartz or Spags, but they've got McDaniels. You should do more embracing and less hating on the guy.
                  Last edited by nepg; 11-26-2010, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Halsey View Post
                    The whole blow up or build up thing is a lot of grey area. Every team in the NFL should try to have a quality coach, quality starting QB, quality lines, etc. Whatever you want to call it, teams need those things and should try to get them if they don't already have them.
                    This is kind of how I feel. I mean, I want a lot of things in Cincinnati to change, but if blowing it up means there will be collateral damage to that defense (and it's coordinator Zimmer) then I don't want it blown up.

Start by not resigning Marvin, and then getting rid of Palmer. From there you build upon your weaker areas (pass rush & offensive line in this case) just like any other team.

There's no right answer here obviously, but I'm not sure "blow it up" is the right term here :)

Comment

I am surprised that most people seem to think that the 49ers should just start over. IIRC, most people on this board thought before the season that they were only a great QB away from being a great team. What happened?

Comment

Originally posted by nepg View Post
                        You still don't get it. Yes, the Broncos made a mistake by going with McDaniels over one of the defensive options. That's not on McDaniels, he didn't hire himself. If you thought that he was coming in to run Shanahan's offense, you have mental illnesses beyond healing. So yeah, he blew up a perfectly good offense because it wasn't going to work for him. Every coach does this.

You're overreacting, and acting as if they can just fire McDaniels and instantly be better. Which just isn't the case. They're not going to get someone better than McDaniels because he's really good. They need to fix up the defense now that the offense is mostly where Josh wants it, and they'll be on their way to contending again.

Bring in any coach now, and they'll blow it all up again because the roster is taylor-made for McDaniels' offense, which no one else can run.
                        Every coach blows up an offense with a 25-year old PBer at QB?
                        Every coach blows up an offense with a 25-year old top 10 WR?
                        Every coach blows up an offense with a 2nd year receiver that caught >90 balls in his rookie year?
                        Every coach blows up an offense that was 2nd in yards per game?

And what evidence is there that McD is any good. There is NONE. I don't care if he's filled the locker room with high character guys, if they aren't fit to hold the ******* jock of the bad character guys they replaced. Just look at the guys he's gotten rid of.

Cutler. Pretty much self-explanatory. He's got his ups and downs, but I guarantee you that if the defense shows up just a little, he'll give you a chance to win the game. Replaced by Orton, who is a solid QB and good enough, but he won't take this team anywhere, and this team won't take him anywhere.

Marshall. One of the best WRs in the game coming off of a career year. And McD gets rid of him after spending the entire season alienating him. Njx and others do correctly say that Marshall had talked about leaving Denver years ago, but based on what I saw when we were winning, I find it hard to believe he'd have felt that way if he were on a team with a competent coach that didn't go 2-8 in the last 10 games.

Peyton Hillis. We're stuck with Knowshon and knowbody else.

Tony Scheffler. Who, by the way, as Detroit's 2nd TE, is MORE PRODUCTIVE THAN ALL 3 TES ON THE ROSTER COMBINED.

The dude is a terrible coach. He loses the locker room constantly, and he's taken this team from bad but promising to worse and futureless. He deserves to be fired. There is ZERO evidence that he's anything but incompetent besides his last draft that may have been kind of okay.
                        Last edited by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf); 11-26-2010, 10:13 PM.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                        Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                        do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
                          Every coach blows up an offense with a 25-year old PBer at QB?
                          Every coach blows up an offense with a 25-year old top 10 WR?
                          Every coach blows up an offense with a 2nd year receiver that caught >90 balls in his rookie year?
                          Every coach blows up an offense that was 2nd in yards per game?
                          Don't forget a pretty good pass catching TE too.....now what do you have there? Blocking TEs? I hate blocking TEs....the concept infuriates me......

That offense was set up to be something special. Big armed franchise QB just coming into his own, true #1 possession WR in Marshall, big play threat in Royal....franchise LT.

All torn apart. The only reasonable thing I can even think of is that ownership thought that McDaniels would take that offense to the next level, but then he came in and stabbed backs and burned bridges and misused the few guys he had left....drafts a RB high in the first round and misuses him too when he's healthy...

A defensive minded coach who would have left that offense be would have been such a better move.

Comment

Originally posted by Monomach View Post
                            Other teams that need a blowup: Jags, Skins, Bears. That's right. I say that two first place teams need to be blown up.
                            So what do you not like about what the Jags have done the last 2 years since they started rebuilding? I think Gene Smith has done a great job.

Comment

Good thread.

The Broncos are fricking mysterious, or quite puzzling.
                              They came out on fire last year going what, 6-0? They were for real.
                              But then they weren't. And aren't.

Kyle Orton has been very good, which was gamble #1.
                              Their 3-4 transition has not worked out like the Packers with Dom Capers.
                              I never thought No-Shon Moreno was anything that special to take that high.
                              I don't think they need to blow anything up though, just build around.

On the Vikings, about 5 of my best 8 friends are die-hard Vikings fans, and the smartest and most loyal one thinks they need to trade Jared Allen this off-season.
                              What would he fetch in a trade? Any guesses?

Comment

Originally posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
                                I am surprised that most people seem to think that the 49ers should just start over. IIRC, most people on this board thought before the season that they were only a great QB away from being a great team. What happened?
                                They started playing.

Originally posted by fenikz
                                His soft D really turns me off
                                ** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information