Chiefs extend RB Jamaal Charles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BeerBaron View Post
    Unless it's someone absolutely special, like Peterson. If a team commits to making him the central focus of the offense with his new found ability to hang onto the football, there isn't a record that would be out of his reach.
    Even if it's someone absolutely special it isn't worth it. Sure, Peterson is nice, but you can realistically get comparable talent, or maybe 85% of that talent, in later rounds and free agency, and focus on more important positions such as DL, CB, WR, etc in the first round.

I wouldn't ever spend a first round pick on a back, even a guy like Peterson. The Vikings, for instance, could have picked Ahmad Bradshaw in the later rounds instead of Peterson in the first round of that 2007 draft, received about 85% of the production of Peterson, and instead spent their first round pick on a shutdown corner such as Darelle Revis or Leon Hall and would have had a superior defense, which is far more valuable than any RB.

Comment

Originally posted by kmartin575 View Post
      Not just Hali. Bowe and Flowers need to be locked up soon as well.
      Hali is the only one of those players in the last year of his deal so I would for sure put him at priority #1.

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post

To be fair, though, Blount probably would have been drafted in the low first/early second if it weren't for character concerns.
        I hate to stray off-topic here, but you're crazy if you think character concerns are the only thing that kept Blount from going in the first/second round.

Comment

Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
          I hate to stray off-topic here, but you're crazy if you think character concerns are the only thing that kept Blount from going in the first/second round.
          That's true, he ran like a 4.7 at the combine, didn't he?

Comment

Originally posted by Morton View Post
            Even if it's someone absolutely special it isn't worth it. Sure, Peterson is nice, but you can realistically get comparable talent, or maybe 85% of that talent, in later rounds and free agency, and focus on more important positions such as DL, CB, WR, etc in the first round.

I wouldn't ever spend a first round pick on a back, even a guy like Peterson. The Vikings, for instance, could have picked Ahmad Bradshaw in the later rounds instead of Peterson in the first round of that 2007 draft, received about 85% of the production of Peterson, and instead spent their first round pick on a shutdown corner such as Darelle Revis or Leon Hall and would have had a superior defense, which is far more valuable than any RB.

Wait. You actually think we should regret drafting Adrian Peterson? Surely you aren't serious...

Comment

Originally posted by yo123 View Post
              Wait. You actually think we should regret drafting Adrian Peterson? Surely you aren't serious...

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

Why not?

If you could get 85% of the production from a comparable late-round back like an Ahmad Bradshaw, and instead the Vikings could have spent that pick on, say,one of the elite CBs in that draft such as Darelle Revis or Leon Hall, and would now be fielding an elite passing defense...

I think their chances of winning a Super Bowl last year, or any year for that matter, with Revis/Hall+Bradshaw instead of Peterson would be greatly improved.

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                  That's true, he ran like a 4.7 at the combine, didn't he?
                  Yup, pushing 250 lbs and running a 4.7 while not having the best agility and quickness does not get you in the top two rounds of the NFL draft, especially at the RB position.

Comment

Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
                    Yup, pushing 250 lbs and running a 4.7 while not having the best agility and quickness does not get you in the top two rounds of the NFL draft, especially at the RB position.
                    4.7 40 at 250lbs is actually not that bad. That's like the equivalent of a 4.4 40 for a 205lb guy.

And if you watched him at Oregon, or even at the Senior Bowl, you'd realize that he was actually very nimble and quick for a man of his size.

Comment

Why not?

If you could get 85% of the production from a comparable late-round back like an Ahmad Bradshaw, and instead the Vikings could have spent that pick on, say,one of the elite CBs in that draft such as Darelle Revis or Leon Hall, and would now be fielding an elite passing defense...

I think their chances of winning a Super Bowl last year, or any year for that matter, with Revis/Hall+Bradshaw instead of Peterson would be greatly improved.

Bradshaw is more like 60% of Peterson, and I like Bradshaw. AD would run apeshit behind the Giants run blocking.

Comment

I did watch him at Oregon, and nothing about him tells me he should have been a running back taken in the top three rounds.

Comment

Bradshaw is more like 60% of Peterson, and I like Bradshaw. AD would run apeshit behind the Giants run blocking.
                          The point was not what Adrian Peterson would do behind the Giant's O-Line, the point was what kind of performance hit the Vikings would be willing to take for a guy like Bradshaw, and in exchange, what kind of performance they would get from a top CB taken in that same draft instead of Peterson.

I think it would have improved their team in the long run if they had taken an elite CB instead of Peterson, and developed a late round RB.

Comment

The point was not what Adrian Peterson would do behind the Giant's O-Line, the point was what kind of performance hit the Vikings would be willing to take for a guy like Bradshaw, and in exchange, what kind of performance they would get from a top CB taken in that same draft instead of Peterson.

I think it would have improved their team in the long run if they had taken an elite CB instead of Peterson, and developed a late round RB.
                            i think it wouldnt have.

See what i did there?

Comment

Yeah, every year more and more RBs are doing it, and it has always been common knowledge that RBs are the easiest players to make the transition from college to pro, so i'm all for using your top picks at other skill positions and creating a good cohesive offensive line. After that you can pretty much just plug in anyone back there and have a good running game.

Comment

It's horrible revisionist history to say that Revis is a better pick than AD now. Revis was a good prospect but no where AD as a prospect. Its not as if Good Corners can be completely schemed away. Even though the Bengals have the 6th best defense against No.1 receivers they have the 20th best overall defense.

Postional value is important but equally important is how good the prospect actually is. The Cardinals made that mistake and ended up with the turnstile that is Levi Brown.

Also AD is being paid 41 Million over 6 years. I would easily pay that money to one of the most consistent backs in the league.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information