No announcement yet.

Kyle Orton's trade value?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I were the Vikings? A 2nd. If I was anyone else? 5th at best.

When being a fanboi goes too far.

Comment

he certainly "balled" all over arizona

Comment

They should keep him because he's the best QB on that roster and not a bad player as it is. They need to build a better defense and work on their offensive line and running game because the passing game wasn't the problem this season with Orton throwing to Lloyd, Gaffney, Thomas, and Royal. He's not a super star or anything, and his stats were inflated by McDaniels' system, but he keeps getting better every year and I think you can definitely win with him at QB.
        Last edited by keylime_5; 12-23-2010, 09:41 PM.

Comment

I honestly don't think one year at 9.75M is much of a drawback. It's expensive for him, but it's one year. The contract doesn't affect the franchise's long term plans in any way, and if his open market value is ~7M, that really isn't much to overpay. Especially if you get the guaranteed returns of a trade over having to bid on him in FA. IMO, he's the best vet QB for a team that is looking to win right now and for the next couple of years. There are two teams right now that Orton can potentially bring over the top: Arizona and Minnesota. I'd guess he's worth quite a bit to those two teams. Orton isn't great but he's good enough, which is what Zona and Minnesota need right now. They're both built to win now except for a glaring hole under center.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
          Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
          Originally posted by njx9
          do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
            They should keep him because he's the best QB on that roster and not a bad player as it is. They need to build a better defense and work on their offensive line and running game because the passing game wasn't the problem this season with Orton throwing to Lloyd, Gaffney, Thomas, and Royal. He's not a super star or anything, and his stats were inflated by McDaniels' system, but he keeps getting better every year and I think you can definitely win with him at QB.
            Yeah but what's the point? There's no point in keeping Orton around because the team is so far from contention. He's a decent piece for anyone close to contention, but that's not the Broncos. The future of the Broncos for the next couple years at least is Tebow, he'll have the opportunity to grow with the rest of the team.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
            Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
            do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

I think somewhere between a 3rd and a 4th would be right. He isn't great, but he is a good solid QB. Never will be a superstar, but he will do everything you ask him to.

Though, we are all looking at how talented he is. 3rd/4th round value. The position he is at though...value increase? If your team needs a QB (Minnesota, SF, AZ), would trading a 2nd rounder for him be out of the picture? It would mean taking a solid QB who won't win you all that many games, but he sure as hell wont lose you a game. You know what you'll get with him too, Rather than depend on a rookie developing within the next few years and not knowing what you'll get.

If I'm the Vikes or Cardinals, I would definitely consider the trade. They have the right pieces in place to play some good football and if they draft a developmental guy to learn behind Orton...could make for a solid football team in the present, and in the future.

Originally posted by BeansDooma
              who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?

Comment

As other Bears fans on this board can attest, I'm just about the biggest Kyle Orton lover in the world. I still wear his jersey sometimes when I watch the Bears.

Even I think it's crazy to say that he's worth a second round pick at this point.

Kyle Orton is great and all, but his stats are a direct reflection of that stupid system they ran. He's not going to throw for 5k yards, so you can stop bringing that crap up right now. He's basically average, and average is extremely underrated around here...but an average QB is not worth a 2nd round pick when he has a contract for ten million dollars.

The best situation would probably be for Minny to draft a Jake Locker or whatever and sign Orton once the Broncos release him. He'd be good for them.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
                  Yeah but what's the point? There's no point in keeping Orton around because the team is so far from contention. He's a decent piece for anyone close to contention, but that's not the Broncos. The future of the Broncos for the next couple years at least is Tebow, he'll have the opportunity to grow with the rest of the team.
                  not any farther from contention than the Chiefs were last year, and they're on track for an 11-5, AFC West Champion type season this year. If they're smart they will keep Orton around and have him start until either he starts playing really bad or until Tebow earns the starting job over him.

Comment

If I am Zygi Wilf, or whatever GM/coach ends up in charge of the Vikings, I would definitely give the Broncos a 4th round pick for Orton. I also don't see Denver getting much more than this pick value, maybe a future 6th or 7th round choice, but nothing else in this year's draft. If Denver tries to get more than the Vikings 4th I could see them looking at someone like Shaun Hill as a 1-2 year stop-gap starter while we hopefully develop a young QB.

Comment

I really think Orton surpassed most people's expectations coming into to Denver. He isn't elite, but he's good, and mostly smart with the football. But if he is a FA (didn't do the research) someone will be getting a very decent Qb for free.

Originally posted by WMD
                      Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
                      Originally posted by gpngc
                      I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

Originally posted by MNtoWA Guy View Post
                        If I am Zygi Wilf, or whatever GM/coach ends up in charge of the Vikings, I would definitely give the Broncos a 4th round pick for Orton. I also don't see Denver getting much more than this pick value, maybe a future 6th or 7th round choice, but nothing else in this year's draft. If Denver tries to get more than the Vikings 4th I could see them looking at someone like Shaun Hill as a 1-2 year stop-gap starter while we hopefully develop a young QB.
                        What are you talking about? Brett Favre is coming back next year. Enjoy!

When being a fanboi goes too far.

Comment

Originally posted by keylime_5 View Post
                          not any farther from contention than the Chiefs were last year, and they're on track for an 11-5, AFC West Champion type season this year.
                          Eh, the Chiefs had a bunch of young talent ready to help take them to that level, particularly from that 2008 draft. The Broncos don't really have that many young players ready to break out, especially on defense. The talent isn't in place yet. They still need a couple of productive drafts before they can compete for a division title.

Comment

Originally posted by bearfan View Post
                            I think somewhere between a 3rd and a 4th would be right. He isn't great, but he is a good solid QB. Never will be a superstar, but he will do everything you ask him to.

Though, we are all looking at how talented he is. 3rd/4th round value. The position he is at though...value increase? If your team needs a QB (Minnesota, SF, AZ), would trading a 2nd rounder for him be out of the picture? It would mean taking a solid QB who won't win you all that many games, but he sure as hell wont lose you a game. You know what you'll get with him too, Rather than depend on a rookie developing within the next few years and not knowing what you'll get.

If I'm the Vikes or Cardinals, I would definitely consider the trade. They have the right pieces in place to play some good football and if they draft a developmental guy to learn behind Orton...could make for a solid football team in the present, and in the future.
                            As a 49ers fan, I wouldn't mind getting the Kyle Orton that I've seen in Denver all this season. I think he's pretty decent. He's not going to be a megastar like you implied, but I do think he can win a game here or there if there is a decent team around him. I don't see him winning games by himself if the team is terrible...which I think is what is going on in Denver at this point. That being said, I would hope that if we did get Kyle Orton, we'd have a good coaching staff around him that will build a complete team so he doesn't have to throw the ball 600 times in a year. I wouldn't minding giving a 4th rounder for him for sure. A 3rd rounder probably.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
                            -San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
                            Originally posted by Borat
                            Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.

Comment

a QB that can give you 16 solid starts is only worth a 4th? He's worth a player + 3rd rounder at least.
                              hm. looks like i need a sig...

Comment

this. our last two idiot gm/coaches have left the entire team in absolute shambles. there is NOTHING to build off of on defense. i can't stress nothing enough. a high school JV team would give the broncos a better group of young players. and the offense is generally weak, too, although there are at least two talented players.

there's a near zero chance that denver is even competitive in the afc west in the next couple of years unless every other team either folds or suffers so many catastrophic injuries that they literally are playing a high school jv team.
                                I still think this is wrong. It happens every single year in the NFL. It's especially possible in the AFC West where it is ripe for the taking. It's not like there's a Pittsburgh, New England, Indianapolis, or Philadelphia in that division that is consistently good every single year. The Broncos have plenty of good talent: Moreno, Lloyd, Clady, Dumervil, Williams, Dawkins, Thomas, Gaffney, Graham, Harris, etc. They have the pieces in place to have a good offense if they can put it all together. Their defense played well early last year under Nolan, if they get Dumervil back and one or two more key defenders in place they can compete next year.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information