Tom Brady: The Cautionary Tale

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Brady: The Cautionary Tale

I was thinking about doing a major writeup on the subject, but I don't think it needs to be spelled out at this point. Be careful when attributing a team's ability to win to a single player, and keep the subject of Super Bowl victories in perspective when discussing the hierarchy of QBs in the history of this league. Tom Brady is a much better QB today than he was in 2004, yet his track record over the last 6 years looks remarkably similar to that of Peyton Manning from 2000 to 20005.

He's now 4-5 in the playoffs since then, including a mark of just 2-5 against teams that he played in the regular season. Where is his clutchness now? Where is his sense of the moment? Where is his rises-to-the-occasion ability?

Exactly, all that talk was a bunch of crap then and it is a bunch of crap now. The only thing that Brady lovers are left with now is a load of excuses about how his supporting cast failed him in this situation or that situation, and how he did what he could with what he had yadda yadda yadda.

In other words, its a team game and you win as a team. Brady is a very good QB, maybe even great. However, he has yet to bring his team back from any sizable deficit to win a playoff game (and I struggle to remember a time he's done it in the regular season, but I'm sure its happened....right?) and tonight, when the game was on the line and his team needed 7 points, all he could come up with was a FG. The best QBs, the Elways, Montanas, Staubachs, Unitases and, yes, Mannings are able to bring their teams back in that situation. Brady couldn't do it. Brady never has done it.

But if you are tied and need 3 points to win the game....hey, he's your man.
    Originally posted by 21ST
    He was protecting his self
    Originally posted by tjsunstein
    From what? His leg?
    Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
    That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
    "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

An interesting fact: Tom Brady's career postseason stats are pretty average. And they are also not as good as Peyton Mannings. "Mr. Clutch" has a statistically less impressive track record in the playoffs then a guy who is commonly called a choke artist.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...0_playoffs.htm
    http://www.pro-football-reference.co...0_playoffs.htm
    Last edited by J52; 01-17-2011, 12:27 AM.

Comment

I foresee this thread going far.
      Credit to BoneKrusher for the Sig
      RIP themaninblack

Comment

I think what Brady did this year with 2 rookie tight ends, Deion Branch and Danny Woodhead is remarkable. Today the Jets defense pressured the hell out of him and no QB would have been comfortable in the pocket. Its fair to say that he's struggled in the postseason lately but to discredit him as a big game QB is ridiculous. If I'm down 7 points or less with 2 minutes to go, there's no other QB id want leading that drive. Sometimes you get in a no-win situation and today was one of those. A lot of questionable calls, going for it on 4th and 13, fake punt...just buried them. Id chill on the Brady hate...guess who's gonna be right back at the top next year? Tom Brady and the Pats. They can only get better cpnsidering what they worked with this year...and they have a ton of high draft picks.

Comment

Adam Vinatieri Super Bowls: 4
          Tom Brady Super Bowls: 3

Comment

Yeah, this thread is going downhill.

Comment

Originally posted by SchizophrenicBatman View Post
              Adam Vinatieri Super Bowls: 4
              Tom Brady Super Bowls: 3
              Super Bowls during SpyGate: 3
              Super Bowls after SpyGate: 0

Originally posted by SolidGold
              Bortlezzzzzzz
              Originally posted by Monomach
              Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 

Comment

Joe Montana had a 4 year lull between Super Bowls, picked up Jerry Rice and won 2 more. Imagine if back in 1988 someone wrote up a post saying Montana was overrated and pretty much finished. He took the 49ers to SB 23 following that season. I guess there are no good QBs in the league in this internet era if you can attempt to tear down Brady.

Comment

Isn't it obvious after today......Brady sucks and Sanchez is so underrated.

Comment

I was thinking about doing a write up on this as well, and was discussing the subject in the Divisional Round thread.

People think of me as either a massive Manning hater or a Brady lover. I'm neither, I just call things the way my eyes see them. And if I'm a hater, then I'm an equal opportunity hater.

Combine the poor performance in the 2007 Superbowl, the shutout/blowout last year to the Ravens, and this year's stinker against the Jets, and Brady's postseason mystique is starting to wane off - if it isn't completely gone.

But here's the thing...I'm not making any excuses for him. And you could totally make that argument for him. Look at the boxscore and stateline: 28-21, 29-45, 64%, 299 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT. That's "good enough to win" numbers I guess. And the o-line and defense played poor, and blah blah blah (excuses, excuses).

But you know what? My eyes don't lie. He had zero command of the game today. He was oblivious to pressure in the pocket. Once he lost his rhythm, he couldn't get it back. He played pretty terribly.

On the other hand, you still can't take the three rings away from him. He's still one of the best quarterbacks of all time. The old argument against him was that he wasn't a dominant statistical passer, but he's turned into that in recent seasons. But, like DMW said, this has also coincided with embarrassing playoff losses.

In regards to him vs Manning, I don't see how you can (or will) be able to chalk it up to anything other than a draw. They've both still got some time left, but I both have their best days behind them. Looking at the matchups on Championship weekend, we're seeing a changing of the guard at the quarterback position.

And for the money, I'm probably going to start touting Big Ben as best QB in the league. Especially if they go to (and/or win) the Superbowl with a practice squad offensive line.
                    Last edited by yourfavestoner; 01-17-2011, 01:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                      And for the money, I'm probably going to start touting Big Ben as best QB in the league. Especially if they go to (and/or win) the Superbowl with a practice squad offensive line.
                      Aaron Rodgers is the future of the position.

But i do like Ben a lot as a QB.

Originally posted by 49erNation85
                      I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.

Comment

Originally posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post

If he wins the Superbowl this year, I wouldn't argue against Rodgers at all.

Comment

He's had a bad game or two in 19 playoff appearances and people want to say the mystique is gone?

I'm going to wait a week before I make any judgments so I can look back over it all in my mind, but I am kind of laughing at all of the people jumping off the cliff at the moment.
                          **** her in da *****!

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                            I agree with you 99% of the time.

But give me Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Rivers, and Brees before Big Ben.

Comment

Originally posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post

I would agree with this. I would take Rodgers right now, but Big Ben isn't far behind. I'll write more up on the whole Brady thing at some point this week. While theres obviously going to be a lot of ammo here for Brady haters to use, there are some legit points brought up in this thread so hopefully people can be rational and not just make comment based off the hate for the guy (as I will try not to let the homer in me affect my post...hopefully).

Originally posted by WMD
                              Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
                              Originally posted by gpngc
                              I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information