No announcement yet.

Kevin Kolb

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you make him your guy and give him a chance to get comfortable, I think he'll become a damn good QB. He has good mobility, a good enough arm, nice touch on intermediate throws, and has proven he can learn complicated playbooks fairly quickly.

He didn't respond well to the pressure of following up McNabb and having to win over a fan base, but that's the most extreme situation you can put a QB in. Any of those teams looking for a QB would do well to make a play for Kolb. Arizona, Cincy, Tennessee, and Minnesota would be good situations.

Comment

I really don't think many teams will offer a single two, let alone one. A 3rd round pick would be a good deal for Philly.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Comment

I think someone gets a quality to potentially damn good starting QB on the super cheap out of this...

Comment

Originally posted by nepg View Post
          I think someone gets a quality to potentially damn good starting QB on the super cheap out of this...
          Stop it. Kolb is ******* terrible.

Comment

You can't ask fans the value of a QB. Many fans here were calling Aaron Rodgers a bust because he didn't look all that great his first couple of times on the field filling in for Favre. The same ones will say Kolb is worth nothing because he didn't throw for 400 yards and 5 TDs the first time he played.

Comment

Originally posted by Halsey View Post
              The same ones will say Kolb is worth nothing because he didn't throw for 400 yards and 5 TDs the first time he played.
              Or we'll say he's worth nothing because, you know, we've actually watched him play.

Comment

Kolb's value will likely never be higher. That being said, he is a competent backup for 2011 at that salary. With the risk of Vick's off the field issues + his style of play, you can almost bank on the fact that he won't play all 16/18 games next year. Even if you lose him for a compensatory pick in the 2011 offseason, the Eagles are likely to get a 3rd rounder then.

Kolb can play, but there are gaps in his game. He couldn't make a ton of explosive plays with the explosive Eagles weapons. There's nothing in my mind to think that he's anything more than 2009 Matt Cassel. Even so, Andy Reid as a coach has produced a pretty good number of quality QB's (Favre, McNabb, Brunell, Matt Hasselbeck, and Vick), so his track record is pretty good. And they sold the sinking McNabb for a 2nd and a future 4th. With the QB issues in SF, Seattle, Arizona, Minnesota, Miami, Cincinnati (theoretically), Tennessee, Carolina, and Washington, and pretty much no QB's on the FA wire right now, Kolb becomes a rather attractive option.

Hell, Charlie Whitehurst got traded for a 2nd rounder last offseason, and he had never taken a snap. At least Kolb has some good games under his belt and a pedigree in a successful NFL offensive system.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper View Post
                  Stop it. Kolb is ******* terrible.
                  He was NFC Offensive Player of the Week twice and has thrown for 300+ yards in three of his five starts.

Throw out the Dallas game completely because it meant nothing and Kolb was playing with backups. He looked damn good in the SF and ATL games this year, looked bad in his GB start, looked average in his WAS game, and looked bad mostly due to wind conditions in his TEN game.

I think he still has the potential to be a top-10 QB in this league if he's in the right system (a WCO with the right kind of possession WRs).

The problem with the Eagles trading him now is that there is a significant potential for Kolb to be a quality starter for 6+ years for some team, but we *know* Vick will be effective for maybe 2 more years at most, due to his style of play and his reliance on his athleticism to make plays. So if you trade Kolb, you're basically saying that the future doesn't matter and that you're willing to try to win now with Vick and conceding that you're basically going to have to tank a season at some point in the future to obtain a QB in the draft.
                  Last edited by Umoro; 02-01-2011, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Let's not go overboard, Umoro. There's potential for Kolb to be successful as the kind of QB who won't kill you, but he's not going to carry a team. He isn't a consistently explosive weapon as a passer or runner. He still misses reads, doesn't feel pressure, and he reads the field short to deep as opposed to deep to short. He can't or won't fit the ball in tight spots. He takes sacks. He needs a running game to survive. There are plenty of QB's who are the same way.

Does Kolb have value? Sure. Does he have some potential? Sure. His ceiling is maybe a #10 QB in the league in a great year in the right situation. He isn't a franchise QB. Not every team can have a franchise QB. But Kolb could be a quality starter in this league.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Originally posted by Umoro View Post
                      He was NFC Offensive Player of the Week twice and has thrown for 300+ yards in three of his five starts.
                      All against awful secondaries.

Throw out the Dallas game completely because it meant nothing and Kolb was playing with backups.
                      Well, that's probably because, you know, he IS a backup. And backups or not, I still expect more than 4.5 ypa against a team drafting in the top-10.

He looked damn good in the SF and ATL games this year, looked bad in his GB start, looked average in his WAS game, and looked bad mostly due to wind conditions in his TEN game.
                      San Francisco is bad. Atlanta is a bad secondary. Wind conditions? Please.

I think he still has the potential to be a top-10 QB in this league if he's in the right system (a WCO with the right kind of possession WRs).
                      Top-10? Is this a ******* joke?

So if you trade Kolb, you're basically saying that the future doesn't matter
                      You're not saying that because Kolb doesn't have a future.

Isn't it concerning that after four years, he still can't read coverages? Isn't it concerning that he can't consistently throw over 15 yards with any kind of zip? He still gets happy feet in the pocket. He still stares down his targets. Let's recap- no arm strength, average accuracy, no deep ball, stares down his targets. Yes, I can totally see why he's a top-10 QB.

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper View Post
                        Or we'll say he's worth nothing because, you know, we've actually watched him play.
                        I agree with this man.

I dont even think Kolb is the best backup in the league right now, I think id take matt flynn, caleb hanie, and possibly bruce gradkowski over him just off the top of my head.

Kolb is terrible, absolutely god awful. Hes terrible at reading coverages, is horrible about staring down targets, and then throws the ball into the coverage anyway with his 3rd grader quality arm.

And who the hell was it that said he could be top ten? really?
                        Qb's Id take over him on any given day on any team:
                        Peyton
                        Brady
                        Brees
                        Freeman
                        Rodgers
                        Eli
                        ryan
                        Vick
                        Ben Rapist
                        romo
                        hasselback
                        bradford
                        cut...hanie
                        schaub
                        rivers
                        flacco
                        cassel

Thats seventeen right there that he could never play better than over the course of a season imo, even with the great weapons the eagles have. Only hasselback is even close to arguable from that list if you ask me. So now he'll never be top ten.

and guys that are at least arguable: vy, fitzpatrick, matt flynn, david garrard (never been high on him for what its worth), mcnabb, tebow, stafford, sanchize, jeff garcia, jason campell, colt mccoy, carson palmer, bruce gradkowski, and if you really wanna reach maybe henne (similarly crap players).

that makes him a clearly better option than: tjax, a.smith, skelton/hall. and even then idk about skelton/hall because i dont remember the one game that i saw them play.

I think kolb's upside is that of ryan fitzpatrick in the right system. a somewhat serviceable starter in a dumbed down and simple system requiring simple reads and throws. If he had a great team around him, hed have a chance of getting them to the playoffs as a dilfer like game manager. thats his upside.
                        Originally posted by Thumper/JBCX/Bixby
                        Orton will never be in the same class as the Drew Brees or the Peyton Mannings or the Tom Bradys of the world. Kevin Kolb has the potential to be that kind of player.

Comment

Originally posted by Halsey View Post
                          You can't ask fans the value of a QB. Many fans here were calling Aaron Rodgers a bust because he didn't look all that great his first couple of times on the field filling in for Favre. The same ones will say Kolb is worth nothing because he didn't throw for 400 yards and 5 TDs the first time he played.
                          1. Anyone that said that about Rodgers is an idiot.

2. That was in extremely limited mop up time for Rodgers. Kolb has had 7 starts. Completely different.

Comment

Eh, he's not bad, but he hasn't been great. Has some weaknesses, but I can easily see them being masked in the right scheme.

Comment

If you think some team would be crazy to trade for Kolb, tell us what the better options for the dozen or so teams that need to upgrade their QB talent. It's like Seattle trading for Whitehurst last year. Everyone thought it was a terrible trade, but nobody could come up with a better option for Seattle, who desperately needed to add a QB.

Comment

If some team will give the Eagles what they want, you'll see him moved. When Kolb is the starter for a full year, we'll be able to see for sure what he actually is. I think one of these teams will pay to have him. If they don't, I'm fine with Kolb backing up Vick another year at that price.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information