Eagles get Spikes and Holcomb for Walker and conditional 7th rounder in 2008

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cunningham06 View Post
    We just didn't give Bunkley enough opportunity. If he starts this season we will see some steady improvement.
    I sure hope so, because if he can live up to his pick, our defense will be monstrous next year, I hope.
    Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by bills_red View Post
      Yea I just saw that on billsdaily.com
      LB Takeo Spikes $6M - $3M against cap if released
      LOL dont you guys play madden. I always have like a 10 million cap hit for releasing :)

Sig by BoneKrusher
      Originally posted by killxswitch
      Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.

Comment

Good report
        http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1

Spikes, Holcomb trade
        Today Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 9:16 PM ET | Link

SPIKES, HOLCOMB TRADE: I have to commend the Bills on this move. They clear some salary space and help to address a need on the interior of their defensive line. Even better Walker is still under contract through the 2008 season at reasonable money ($1.3M base in 2007 and $1.4M base in 2008). Holcomb really wasn't a fit in Steve Fairchild's offense. He's a better fit for the horizontal passing attack of a west coast offense, so he should serve a purpose in Philly.

Walker is a hard-nosed defensive tackle who can penetrate. His sack totals are impressive for an interior player, although playing with two good defensive ends helped in Cole and Kearse (when healthy). I like that Walker has been durable and though he is 30-years old, he won't have to play 50 plays a game in Buffalo's rotational system, so he should be able to stay fresh. I expect him to work with Larry Tripplett at the 3-technique position and rotate through. I'm wondering if this means that John McCargo will become a full time nose tackle or one-technique and rotate with Kyle Williams. We'll have to see.

I'm hearing the conditional pick is a seventh rounder for Holcomb.

It's really tough to see Spikes leave knowing the warrior he was when healthy, but I don't think the Bills felt they could afford to wait another season to see if Spikes would return to full form. Spikes' last two games last season were pretty productive and I understand his performance in those two games is what sold the Eagles on him.

Unfortunately the odds are against NFL players who try to return from achilles injuries. Sure everyone references Seattle's Julian Peterson, but he is an exception to the rule. Chicago's Mike Brown still isn't right after missing most of last season. Philadelphia's Todd Pinkston struggled in his return to form last year. Sam Cowart was never the same player. I'm never one to doubt Spikes and his incredible will, but the statistics build a compelling case against him.

Still I wish him luck. He was a stand up locker room guy and very active in the community.

---

Comment

Spikes-Old but decent
          Clements-OVERpaid
          McGahee-God I hate this guy
          Fletcher-Old and and makes a lot of T 5-10 yard down the field (anyone can do that)
          H-Decent backup

RT Langston Walker-->Will make you cuss at him like a sailor.........seriously, you may not believe this, but he was actually WORSE than Gallery.
          I think the Raiders will trade down.

Comment

Do the Bills free up cap space or lose some, because from the looks of most o the info here, it looks as thought hey lose space in their cap.
            Nanna Bryndís Hilmarsdóttir is a goddess

Rest in Peace, themaninblack

Comment

Originally posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
              Do the Bills free up cap space or lose some, because from the looks of most o the info here, it looks as thought hey lose space in their cap.
              Read my post above by Chris Brown

Comment

Originally posted by snailplow View Post
                RT Langston Walker-->Will make you cuss at him like a sailor.........seriously, you may not believe this, but he was actually WORSE than Gallery.
                He might suck he might not. Everyone sucked on their O-Line you never know he might be good with some good coaching (Jim McNally)

Comment

He might suck he might not. Everyone sucked on their O-Line you never know he might be good with some good coaching (Jim McNally)
                  The dude's been in the league for years, and he's been beat like a drum consistently ever since he's been a starter........Trust me, he's a turnstile, and it won't be long before they try him at guard.
                  The bad thing is he wasn't that much better there either.
                  I think the Raiders will trade down.

Comment

Well it appears it is a conditional 7th rounder. My question is what are the conditions and just how high can this conditional pick go if he meets all the requirements....Hopefully we can at least get a 6th out of this with the high end being a 5th.

Comment

Ellison WILLIS and Crowell sounds nice...

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Evans83 View Post
                        Ellison WILLIS and Crowell sounds nice...
                        Granted he's available at 12...
                        The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

I like what the Bills are doing, they have a good young squad to build around and they are freeing up cap space. All the guys they got rid of were either old or disgruntled, so they didn't lose much.

Comment

Originally posted by snailplow View Post
                            The dude's been in the league for years, and he's been beat like a drum consistently ever since he's been a starter........Trust me, he's a turnstile, and it won't be long before they try him at guard.
                            The bad thing is he wasn't that much better there either.
                            Like I said it could pan out and it might not pan out. Time will tell

Comment

I like this trade for both teams.

The Eagles pick up a veteran LB to cover for their young guys who can't be relied on yet.

The Bills are obviously in rebuilding mode so they get a conditional draft pick out of it.

And both teams traded trash as far as Walker and Holcomb are concerned. Neither team was probably going to keep either player.

Comment

Not bad of a deal. At best your loosing camp fodder with that 7th or 8th round pick. Might as well make it somewhat useful.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information