No announcement yet.

Redskins offer No. 6 overall pick for Briggs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't see why Washington would do this deal. They invested an early second rounder last year in Rocky McIntosh to play SAM for them. By season's end, he was starting. They signed London Fletcher-Baker in the offseason to bump Lamar Marshall to a reserve role. They also have a pro bowl-caliber WILL LB in Marcus Washington who is an impact player. Exactly where would Briggs play? Do they have a trade worked out for Washington or Marshall or Macintoch? Are they looking to switch to a 3-4? All of these questions basically amount to the Redskins really have no plan, and trading the #6 pick for Briggs is moronic for them at this point.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

• Bsaza, don't you know? Briggs is a big name. And Syder has a ton of cash and high draft pick burning a hole in his pocket. That is all the logic you need when it concerns the Foreskins. Who cares if he fits the scheme or needs of the team.

Comment

• I call them the Deadskins. I do note that not many Redskins fans on this board are rushing to defend the possible move. In general, Skins fans tend to be huge homers (this board is not terrible). If the tremendous homers aren't excited about this deal, I can guarantee you it's a horrible move.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

• Originally posted by toonsterwu View Post
          I think Andy Reid and Joe Banner (right ... too lazy to check right now) have a good philosophy with the draft. That said, I just don't see Angelo behaving that way, but who knows.

As noted, assuming that CJ is off the board, I think the two top names would be Patrick Willis or Laron Landry (and thus, I'd be fine with dealing down). There's a chance one of them is already off (Willis moreso than Landry). Willis could slide into the weakside backer spot fairly well, while Landry could be the FS, moving Danieal Manning to CB. Both are considered to be fairly low risk guys, which would go in line with Angelo's track record (even though I'm not gung ho about either becoming a stud player), and both would potentially fill key roles in a team whose window is now.

Personally, if it's between Willis or Landry, I'd rather deal ... up or down.
          A deal up or down is really starting to make sense to me, too. The sixth pick is actually a perfect position to make a move, too, as there are a ton of teams who will probably try to leapfrog Minnesota for the services of Willis, Landry, or Adams (if he's there).

Comment

• Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
            I call them the Deadskins. I do note that not many Redskins fans on this board are rushing to defend the possible move. In general, Skins fans tend to be huge homers (this board is not terrible). If the tremendous homers aren't excited about this deal, I can guarantee you it's a horrible move.
            Yeah...there was a huge influx of Redskin homers last offseason. BAD homers. Wonder where they all went...

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
              Thats true...but would they use the 6th pick in the draft to go after another defensive player? Theyre fine on defense. I dont know, its a tough call.
              We're better than fine on defense but that's not the point. Jerry has stated on numerous occasions that he does not believe in creating a supposed "balanced" team and that his preference is to keep the defense at an elite level, even if it's at the expense of having a less than stellar offense. You only stay elite by continually reinfusing talent into the system and with Brown's propensity to get major injuries the past three seasons I think anyone that thinks Brown can be fully relied on this season is being hopeful more than rational.

Not to mention that with Archuleta as our starting SS (as will likely be the case) having a FS with more range such as Landry would not be a bad idea at all. I think we would be fine with Brown, or even Danieal Manning, but it would make sense and my preference is to be more than just "fine".

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by SFbear View Post
                Ideally we would trade up or down. Other than the picks of Landry, and Willis, I wouldn't be opposed to grabbing Alan Branch there considering Tank may be out for up to eight games( more likely four). I could be wrong but I see an athletic DT of his size freeing up Tommie and Urlacher and upgrading our D to the next level.
                Johnson isn't that great of a starting DT anyway. He would certainly start on most teams, don't get me wrong, but Branch would be an upgrade I think. Especially in the run defense department.

I just don't like Okoye, at least not as a top 10 pick. He seems more of a recent johnny-come-lately defensive tackle that makes me uneasy to make suge a huge investment in him.
                Last edited by bearsfan_51; 03-27-2007, 12:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                  We're better than fine on defense but that's not the point. Jerry has stated on numerous occasions that he does not believe in creating a supposed "balanced" team and that his preference is to keep the defense at an elite level, even if it's at the expense of having a less than stellar offense. You only stay elite by continually reinfusing talent into the system and with Brown's propensity to get major injuries the past three seasons I think anyone that thinks Brown can be fully relied on this season is being hopeful more than rational.

Not to mention that with Archuleta as our starting SS (as will likely be the case) having a FS with more range such as Landry would not be a bad idea at all. I think we would be fine with Brown, or even Danieal Manning, but it would make sense and my preference is to be more than just "fine".
                  But why spend the 6th on a safety when you can easily get one later? This draft is loaded with safeties, theyre better off with getting value at a different position.

They can trade back and get Griffin, Nelson, Weddle, Merriweather etc. With the 6th pick, theyre better off going after a position with quality talent thats thin in terms of depth in this draft.

To me, that stratches off WR and Safety. 6 is too high for Willis. So to me, either go after CJ (who's value is too high to ignore even though theres great WR depth), Thomas, Quinn, or trade down and address multiple areas of concern ie Safety + LB + WR.

Comment

• sounds like a dumb move the redskins would make...I don't think it will happen but i wouldn't be shocked

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
                    Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Comment

But why spend the 6th on a safety when you can easily get one later? This draft is loaded with safeties, theyre better off with getting value at a different position.

They can trade back and get Griffin, Nelson, Weddle, Merriweather etc. With the 6th pick, theyre better off going after a position with quality talent thats thin in terms of depth in this draft.

To me, that stratches off WR and Safety. 6 is too high for Willis. So to me, either go after CJ (who's value is too high to ignore even though theres great WR depth), Thomas, Quinn, or trade down and address multiple areas of concern ie Safety + LB + WR.
                      I'm sure that trading down or up would be a strong possibility. I go under the assumptions that no trade can be made. People are way too much into hypotheticals on this board when it comes to trades (ie: Lions fans assuming that they're going to get multiple offers for the #2 pick with no factual evidence) when the vast majority of the time they don't happen.

If we're at 6, and Johnson (who will be) Thomas (who very very likely will be) and Quinn (70/30 will be) are all gone at that point, I think Landry would be the best pick.

Sure we could take Merriweather or Weddle but IMO those guys can't touch Landry. The hope obviously would be that Landry would be an elite safety in the league for years. That's worth taking a flyer on in the early part of the draft.

Hell...even the trade itself at this point is hypothetical..as Angelo's comments seem to indicate he would prefer to keep Briggs at this point.

Comment

Johnson isn't that great of a starting DT anyway. He would certainly start on most teams, don't get me wrong, but Branch would be an upgrade I think. Especially in the run defense department.

I just don't like Okoye, at least not as a top 10 pick. He seems more of a recent johnny-come-lately defensive tackle that makes me uneasy to make suge a huge investment in him.
                        Im in total agreement with you. I think Okoye is overrated due to his age and intelligence. How much would those really effect the way he plays on the field? He's an interesting prospect but is he really worth the number 6th pick. I am worried about Branch's motor though.

We were better against the run when Tank Johnson was just a situational pass rusher on the third downs and Ian Scott although stout against the run never got a good enough push up the middle.

Ideally we would trade up and down. But if we are serious about improving our run D, we could do a lot worse than Branch.

Comment

I'm sure that trading down or up would be a strong possibility. I go under the assumptions that no trade can be made. People are way too much into hypotheticals on this board when it comes to trades (ie: Lions fans assuming that they're going to get multiple offers for the #2 pick with no factual evidence) when the vast majority of the time they don't happen.

If we're at 6, and Johnson (who will be) Thomas (who very very likely will be) and Quinn (70/30 will be) are all gone at that point, I think Landry would be the best pick.

Sure we could take Merriweather or Weddle but IMO those guys can't touch Landry. The hope obviously would be that Landry would be an elite safety in the league for years. That's worth taking a flyer on in the early part of the draft.

Hell...even the trade itself at this point is hypothetical..as Angelo's comments seem to indicate he would prefer to keep Briggs at this point.
                          I think Nelson's ballhawk skills would compliment Arch a little better. But as far as rush D goes, you want Landry back there. Plus, Landry can play both Safety positions in case Arch busts/gets injured.

Hmmm....

I don't know, 6 is awfully high for a safety. I love safeties but 6?

Who knows, this could even be a bluff by the Redskins. By throwing this rumored trade out, maybe theyre trying to see if anyone else will hastily offer them something more for the 6th pick. They could be using Chicago.

Comment

I think Nelson's ballhawk skills would compliment Arch a little better. But as far as rush D goes, you want Landry back there. Plus, Landry can play both Safety positions in case Arch busts/gets injured.

Hmmm....

I don't know, 6 is awfully high for a safety. I love safeties but 6?

Who knows, this could even be a bluff by the Redskins. By throwing this rumored trade out, maybe theyre trying to see if anyone else will hastily offer them something more for the 6th pick. They could be using Chicago.
                            If Ed Reed was there at 6, I would take him now in a heart beat.

Comment

• Originally posted by frogstomp View Post
                              If Ed Reed was there at 6, I would take him now in a heart beat.
                              If the queen had balls, she'd be the king.

Comment

• If the Bears take it who do they draft? I guess that is what they would have to decide. Is there a player they want really bad that they would need a top ten pick to get. I guess LaRon Landry would make sense. Gets them ahead of the Vikings, Falcons, and Rams.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information