Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you expect from the NFC East Quarterbacks???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

McNabb-Will have one of his best seasons in his career, don't think the ACL will be much of an issue. With Westbrook in his prime and Reggie Brown ready to break out, I expect him to have much less pressure than other years. Him and Curtis will work together very nicely as well.

Romo-He'll play more like he did in the last half of his starts than the first half. The league will continue to figure him out and he will have to adjust his game a bit if he wants to continue to succeed. That said, he should still be a winning QB and a potential top 5 QB in the NFC.

Manning-I think his numbers will go down across the board for the most part, which is a good and bad thing. I am hoping and assuming his passing attempts will go down (some people don't realize how many times the Giants throw the ball) and I think he can get his INTs down to the 12-13 range and his TDs should be at around 23-24. If that is the case, he will be fresher in the second half of 2007 and should level out his performance.

Campbell-Skins will struggle so many will view him as a 1st round bust, but he will improve. A lot of his mishaps were green mistakes and can easily be corrected. He has a lot of tools to work with and weapons around him, so if the Skins do make any noise I think Campbell will have a lot to do with it.
    Originally posted by Paul
    Eli's opportunity to become a legend.
    Originally posted by Vikes99ej
    These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Comment

McNabb - If the playcalling continues to be more balanced than it was pre McNabb getting injured I see him having a lot of success. Not necessarily in the amount of passing yards or TD's, but in wins and consistency. Plus, balanced playcalling should cut down on the chances of him being injured again, and would alleviate a lot of the pressure he seemed to be playing with last year.

Manning - If there's a time to prove to everyone that he can even come close to the same playing level as his brother it's this year. There's no true answer at RB for the Giants, which is going to put a lot of pressure on Eli. Not only did he lose Tiki's ground game, but lost a big time part of the passing offense. Losing Toomer in the middle of the season certainly didn't help him last year. If Sinorice Moss can make progress in his development over the summer Eli may be looking at having three solid targets in Toomer, Burress and Moss and could be looking at a breakout season.

Campbell - Had his moments last year but didn't play consistently. Even with the injury to Portis, Betts stepped in and did a solid job at the RB position, so the injury to Portis cannot be looked at as an excuse for Campbells inconsistency. He had his best game statistically in the final week of the season against the hapless Giants pass D, and was a step forward. Campbell only started 6 games last year, so he is still very much a rookie and needs more time to be evaluated. Right now though, it doesn't seem as if Campbell is the long term answer and the organization isn't helping him out any by meeting with Russell, no matter how innocent they say the meeting is.
      Unless he can find some consistency he is looking at a long season.

Romo - Im still not completely sold on Romo. His first 3 starts came against non playoff teams including Arizona, Carolina and Washington, and he flourished, Romo-mania ran rampant. But the stats speak for themselves; against 6 non-playoff teams Romo threw 15 of his 19 TD passes and only 3 INT's. In 5 games against playoff teams (including the Giants twice) he threw only 4 TD's and 10 INT's. I don't want to seem too down on Romo, but those stats show a huge disparity in games versus good, competitive teams and games versus ok at best teams. One huge consideration is the fact that Romo is still a rookie in terms of game experience. As the experience comes can he find consistency against the better teams in the league? For me, Romos situation is as much of a wait and see situation as any other QB in the league. So we'll just have to wait and see.

Comment

From the sound of things, people came away from last season thinking that Romo completely crashed and burned at the end of the year. That is very confusing to me, as he wasn't that bad. He had two great games, and two below average games....but he didn't have any just complete crapfests like people seem to think. Here are his stats from the final four game stretch in which the Cowboys went 1-3:

Att....Comp....%.....Yards.....YPA.....TDs.....Int ......Rating(approx)
        123....75.......61......990......8.05.....6....... ..6........82.5

Are those bad numbers? I mean seriously. The one problem with them is the TD/Int ratio, which just so happens to be the scouting report on Tony: he gambles too much. Early on in his stint as the starter, he was getting away with ill-advised decisions. Parcells was warning everyone that asked about him (a fact that got him absolutely grilled in the media) that he was going to get caught if he didn't quit it, and it finally caught up to him at the end of the year to a small extent. That has always been the key for his development, ie the ability to exercise proper judgment and play the percentages better.

Still, for a guy that is being universally slammed for his shoddy play towards the end of the year, you would expect a lot worse numbers than those. The truth is that all this negative sentiment surrounding him is simply a backlash that results from all the Romo mania that was shoved down everyone's throat after he took the league by storm in his first 6 starts (going 5-1, should have been 6-0) and led the league in passer rating. That's fine, and I respect the resentment that occurs when something like that happens....it's the reason that I hate Tom Brady. But lets not turn a blind eye to the facts. Romo did have some struggles towards the end there, but he was by no means the main culprit in our late-season collapse. That would be the defense. If Tony played an entire season the way that he did those last 4 games (~82 QB rating), but our defense played the way it did from early October to late November, we would probably win the division and have a great shot at coming out of the NFC. Romo was not the problem.
        Originally posted by 21ST
        He was protecting his self
        Originally posted by tjsunstein
        From what? His leg?
        Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
        That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
        "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Oh, and btw, Romo was sacked a total of 9 times in his first six starts.....and was subsequently sacked 12 times in the last 4 games. Think that might have something to do with the decline in his performance?
          From what? His leg?

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
            From the sound of things, people came away from last season thinking that Romo completely crashed and burned at the end of the year. That is very confusing to me, as he wasn't that bad. He had two great games, and two below average games....but he didn't have any just complete crapfests like people seem to think. Here are his stats from the final four game stretch in which the Cowboys went 1-3:

Att....Comp....%.....Yards.....YPA.....TDs.....Int ......Rating(approx)
            123....75.......61......990......8.05.....6....... ..6........82.5

Are those bad numbers? I mean seriously. The one problem with them is the TD/Int ratio, which just so happens to be the scouting report on Tony: he gambles too much. Early on in his stint as the starter, he was getting away with ill-advised decisions. Parcells was warning everyone that asked about him (a fact that got him absolutely grilled in the media) that he was going to get caught if he didn't quit it, and it finally caught up to him at the end of the year to a small extent. That has always been the key for his development, ie the ability to exercise proper judgment and play the percentages better.

Still, for a guy that is being universally slammed for his shoddy play towards the end of the year, you would expect a lot worse numbers than those. The truth is that all this negative sentiment surrounding him is simply a backlash that results from all the Romo mania that was shoved down everyone's throat after he took the league by storm in his first 6 starts (going 5-1, should have been 6-0) and led the league in passer rating. That's fine, and I respect the resentment that occurs when something like that happens....it's the reason that I hate Tom Brady. But lets not turn a blind eye to the facts. Romo did have some struggles towards the end there, but he was by no means the main culprit in our late-season collapse. That would be the defense. If Tony played an entire season the way that he did those last 4 games (~82 QB rating), but our defense played the way it did from early October to late November, we would probably win the division and have a great shot at coming out of the NFC. Romo was not the problem.
            I look at the month of December as Romo's downfall, so I would add the December 3rd stats to that line you put up which for some reason doesn't seem to be involved. Like I said earlier, he should be alright but I don't expect him to get back to the level where he was playing so well for first half of his 2006 tenure. But I am not at the point where I can say with confidence that he is going to be a good QB yet because he finished pretty weak and it seemed as if the league was starting to figure him out.
            MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Comment

Originally posted by JK17 View Post
              Eli- Will continue to be an incosistent quarterback. Loses the screen game with Tiki being gone, which was a big part of his minor rebound towards the end of the year. Will put up big yards with a low completion percentage, low twenty tds, and 16-18 INT. Will still have a hard time making plays with the game on the line.

how does Eli have a hard time making plays with the game on the line????? that is his calling card. the man is clutch as hell and turns it on in the fourth quarter and runs a fantastic 2 minute drill

Comment

Originally posted by Splat420 View Post
                So you think they will all struggle besides Eli I find that shocking.
                lol exactly. You have Eli becoming a pro-bowler, and everyone else sucking, LMAO. It is way to early for this, but I will do it anyway:

Donovan McNabb- Is rushing to come back from the ACL injury, and will have a similiar season to Duante Culpepper when he tried to rush it, and McNabb will get hurt again, like always. Remember, he tore it in week 11, not week 3. He will definitly be hurting from rushing back, and his play will show it.

Tony Romo- Will be above average, with some mistakes from inexperience. But with the team he has around him, he doesn't really need to be that spectacular anyway.

Eli Manning- Will continue to be just and average QB who cries everytime he throws an INT, and will never live up to his draft pick or last name, because he was drafted about 3 rounds to high because of it.

Jason Campbell- I am really intrigued by this could. I expect him to have a good year, and put the redskins in contention for a wild card spot. If Portis stays healthy and they have a good running game, Campbell could be this years Tony Romo.

Oh and Neko, come on now, the Redskins offense isn't better than the Cowboys. No way my friend.
                Last edited by Achilles33; 04-02-2007, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Number 10 View Post
                  I look at the month of December as Romo's downfall, so I would add the December 3rd stats to that line you put up which for some reason doesn't seem to be involved. Like I said earlier, he should be alright but I don't expect him to get back to the level where he was playing so well for first half of his 2006 tenure. But I am not at the point where I can say with confidence that he is going to be a good QB yet because he finished pretty weak and it seemed as if the league was starting to figure him out.

um, I didn't include that game because a) we won and b) Tony played extremely well, and made one of the top 5 throws of any QB for the entire season when he rolled out left and rifled that 35 yarder to Witten down the seam behind one defender and in front of another that set up the game winning FG by Gramatica. He played very, very well, but his stats were artificially smeared by a perfect passed that bounced off of Terry Glenn's hands and was intercepted by Kiwanuka and subsequently fumbled back to the Cowboys--net result: a 1st down for Dallas, no damage done and wouldn't have been Tony's fault if there had been, but the stat line still reflects an Int, which will kill a QB's passer rating. In addition, he had no TD passes , even though he engineered two long TD drives with his excellent marksmanship and decision making. He made the plays to get the team down there, and Barber ended up with two short yardage rushing TDs.

In essence, he played a very, very good game, but because of a quirk in statistics it looked like a bad one on the stat sheet. Why should "December was his undoing" be the rationale when he played great in the first game, the third game, and the fifth game? Oh....that's right, because this is the Cowboys, and everyone likes to pile on whenver given the chance.
                  From what? His leg?

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

^thats part of life and happens to every quarterback....

Comment

Originally posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
                      um, I didn't include that game because a) we won and b) Tony played extremely well, and made one of the top 5 throws of any QB for the entire season when he rolled out left and rifled that 35 yarder to Witten down the seam behind one defender and in front of another that set up the game winning FG by Gramatica. He played very, very well, but his stats were artificially smeared by a perfect passed that bounced off of Terry Glenn's hands and was intercepted by Kiwanuka and subsequently fumbled back to the Cowboys--net result: a 1st down for Dallas, no damage done and wouldn't have been Tony's fault if there had been, but the stat line still reflects an Int, which will kill a QB's passer rating. In addition, he had no TD passes , even though he engineered two long TD drives with his excellent marksmanship and decision making. He made the plays to get the team down there, and Barber ended up with two short yardage rushing TDs.

In essence, he played a very, very good game, but because of a quirk in statistics it looked like a bad one on the stat sheet. Why should "December was his undoing" be the rationale when he played great in the first game, the third game, and the fifth game? Oh....that's right, because this is the Cowboys, and everyone likes to pile on whenver given the chance.

I wouldn't say he played very, very good in that game. He played well when it mattered down the stretch and yes, he made an outstanding throw because Will Demps is our FS to Witten, you are right about that one. But he did throw those INTs and fumble (something he made a habit of in December) and overall played an average game. He looked flustered and like i said, defenses picked up that he is at his worst when forced to stay in the pocket.

Again, I am not saying he will regress and if I had to put money on it, I would say he'd be a top 6 QB in the NFC this year. But he finished weak, not awful, but weak.
                      MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Comment

Originally posted by umphrey View Post
                        Mcnabb is as good as Peyton, he just has **** for WRs and gets hurt every year.

Romo will be inconsitently average.

Manning will continue to be inconsistent and overrated by most of the football world, lots of ints and poor completion % but still have a good amount of TDs and yards.

Campell will suck, the Redskins will have a ****** year and the Redskins will be taking a QB high next year.
                        THATS EXACTTLY WHAT I SAY!!!!!

ALL COMPLIMENTS TO: BANTX FOR THE SIG

XBOX360 Gamertag: GZA88

Comment

Originally posted by Number 10 View Post
                          I wouldn't say he played very, very good in that game. He played well when it mattered down the stretch and yes, he made an outstanding throw because Will Demps is our FS to Witten, you are right about that one. But he did throw those INTs and fumble (something he made a habit of in December) and overall played an average game. He looked flustered and like i said, defenses picked up that he is at his worst when forced to stay in the pocket.

Again, I am not saying he will regress and if I had to put money on it, I would say he'd be a top 6 QB in the NFC this year. But he finished weak, not awful, but weak.

He played an excellent game, there is no arguing that. You said that "the month of December was his downfall", and you want to include the first game of December in that mix simply because of the arbitrary marker of the turning of the calendar from November to December. I'm telling you, his problems did not begin until the New Orleans game (in which he wasn't that bad) and continued in the Philly game (in which he was very bad), but those two games were sandwiched between games that he was very good. The Giants game, though, was one of his best, even though the statistics don't reflect that. He made every big play he needed to make in that game to win it, including one of the best QB plays of the year by anyone.

The ridiculous assertion that "defenses had figured him out" is way overblown. That's like saying that defenses had figured Donovan out, or defenses had figured Hasselbeck out, etc. The only thing that could possibly reference is that he is at his best when he gets out of the pocket, but stopping him from doing that is easier said than done. And beyond that, he made plenty of plays from inside the pocket. It's not like its outside: good, inside: bad. That's stupid.

Anyhow, to put the numbers in perspective, in the final 4 games (where the team struggled visibly, along with Romo at times), if you were to eliminate the rest of the season, and just go with his numbers, he would still have outproduced Eli Manning for the season:

Name......Att pg....Comp pg....%.....YPG.....YPA.....TD%.....Int%....Rat
                          Romo.......30.8.......18.8........61.....247.5.... .8.05....4.9......4.9.....82.5
                          Eli...........32.6........18.8.......58......202.. .....6.21....4.6......3.4.....77.0

As you can see, if Romo's finish to the season is such cause for concern, and "defenses figured him out", then what is there to say for Eli, who has had 4x the game-time experience, and supposedly has so much more natural talent?
                          From what? His leg?

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

so it begins....

Comment

Well... my predictions...

McNabb - Will do great, but won't be able to finish the season, 10-13 games, no more, but will do very well in all those games.

Romo - Will do well, but won't live up to the hype. Above average but he's not gonna dominate or anything.

Campbell - Will do better than expected, but since nobody's expecting much of anything, that doesn't say much. He'll do okay, but no more than that.

E.Manning - in short, the struggle between Eli Manning and the NFL will go into it's fourth round, he'll struggle, will have a better season yardage and td wise, simply because Tiki's gone, but as a result also a few extra INTs.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                              don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

just so no one is confused, I'm in no way saying that Tony Romo is a lock for being an upper-tier QB next season, or moving forward. In fact, he scares me more than any other single aspect of our team for next season. He really did show some things that are big-time causes for concern, and if he doesn't correct them soon, than we are going to have a very frustrating future looking at us in the face. Something along the lines of the Seattle Seahawks with Dave Kreig back in the 80s. That would be absolutely devastating.
                                From what? His leg?

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information