No announcement yet.

Devin Hester...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hester can be good for 5-10 gadget plays a game. Maybe you line him up in the backfield, then have him run a fly. Maybe he takes an end-around. Either way, his big play ability opens things up. I don't think he's going to be a full time player, but he'll have a little gadget playbook for his abilities.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

I really think they should try to keep him at CB. He did very well there as a sophomore, had 5 ints in spot duty and CB and FS. He definitely needs some work, but if they let him work at one position I think it would really pay off. Having him play both offense and defense, as well as every special team, all while he was injured really hurt Hester at Miami. Leave him at CB, maybe even let him be a ball hawking FS, but I think he needs to be on defense. Maybe have some special plays for him on offense, but not a full time player.

That is correct comahan
      I ******* LOVE YOU DG
      <3 dg

Comment

Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
        Hester can be good for 5-10 gadget plays a game. Maybe you line him up in the backfield, then have him run a fly. Maybe he takes an end-around. Either way, his big play ability opens things up. I don't think he's going to be a full time player, but he'll have a little gadget playbook for his abilities.
        He's at best a slot receiver 2 years from now. He needs 2 years of training to be a good slot receiver.

Like you said, you can use him for gadget plays. But that will wear off rather quickly. Thats why Hall never really had success as a offensive WR. In all likelihood, he's probably Dante Hall Version 2.

Comment

Whatever the kid offers outside of special teams is icing on the cake.

I wish the Giants had a force like him, people still underrate what a return man of his caliber can do for a team.
          Originally posted by Paul
          Eli's opportunity to become a legend.
          Originally posted by Vikes99ej
          These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
          MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Comment

I'm not so sure the novelty will wear off. In 2005-2006, it seemed like Randle-El would get a gadget play once a game, and no one was able to stop it. Of course, it was a WR pass play, but it could work. You could use Hester at the goal-line on outside runs. You could run him as a decoy on a short plunge (originated by Andy Reid in 2002-2003). You can throw him a quick WR screen in the slot. With some training, a Hester screen out of the backfield could be very dangerous. You need him to take a reverse every 2-3 weeks to keep the threat there, but it is doable.

I don't think Hester will become a weapon like Brian Westbrook, Tiki Barber, or Reggie Bush, but he can do some damage and stretch the D with his abilities.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Originally posted by Number 10 View Post
              Whatever the kid offers outside of special teams is icing on the cake.

I wish the Giants had a force like him, people still underrate what a return man of his caliber can do for a team.
              But unless you have all the pieces in place, I wouldn't spend a 2nd rounder on a special team ace.

Comment

Hester going as a second rounder was shocking to me a year ago. I think he played well enough to justify his position, but the Bears may have reached in the long term. ST aces can be found everywhere in the draft. Hester could have easily busted. He has a lot of raw ability, but now he needs to become a player with a position. If he can't do that, a second rounder would be way too high.

Comment

I think they would rather work him at CB to hae good depth rather than just save him for "trick" or "gadget" plays every once-and-awhile on offense. Maybe slip in a play for him on offense a few times a year, but if they want him to be something long-term they should keep him at CB.

by BoneKrusher
                  <DG> how metal unseen
                  <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                    But unless you have all the pieces in place, I wouldn't spend a 2nd rounder on a special team ace.
                    Hester makes up for pieces that are not in place. He puts points on the board and gives an offense great field position whether he touches the ball or not.

A big part of the reason why I want Ginn.
                    Originally posted by Paul
                    Eli's opportunity to become a legend.
                    Originally posted by Vikes99ej
                    These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
                    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Comment

Originally posted by Number 10 View Post
                      Hester makes up for pieces that are not in place. He puts points on the board and gives an offense great field position whether he touches the ball or not.

A big part of the reason why I want Ginn.
                      Its still risky that high in the draft. And theres not a Devin Hester every year in the draft either. It just happened to turn out that way this year. If Hester doesn't pan out at a skill position, 3 years from now he won't warrant his 2nd round selection. That wouldve been too high for a one year ace.

I like your idea of Yamon Figurs though. Thats a good day 2 option.

Comment

Devin will probably be used on 2-5 offensive plays per game (and that may be generous).

Generally I am not a fan of gimmick players, but in this case I like the idea of using him on a quick slant or end-around from time to time. Anyway, from everything I hear the guy cannot play WR and we know he can't play DB; last year Torry Holt made a post-game comment about grinning when he saw Hester lined up on him. Obviously, Holt has made quite a few guys look bad, but given that Holt is not a big talker I thought the comment was interesting.

He caught a TD on that play.

Comment

For every Devin Hester, there's a Desmond Howard or Matt Jones who are drafted on atheticism, then can't really cope due to injury, lack of football ability, or opponent adjustments. Hester's rookie season was special, but I still maintain he will have to learn to play either CB or WR to really justify his draft status.

Comment

For every Devin Hester, there's a Desmond Howard or Matt Jones who are drafted on atheticism, then can't really cope due to injury, lack of football ability, or opponent adjustments. Hester's rookie season was special, but I still maintain he will have to learn to play either CB or WR to really justify his draft status.
                            He's already justified his draft status. He was a late-2nd rounder. If he only touches the ball 7-8 times a game on special teams he's worth it.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

He has to do it year in and year out to justify it. 1 good year does not mean he'll automatically repeat. He has to prove himself the next 2 years to justify his pick status IMO. That goes for every pick, though. I'm not singling out Hester. As far as I'm concerned, Winston Justice has to be a starter for 3 years to justify his status.

Comment

He has to do it year in and year out to justify it. 1 good year does not mean he'll automatically repeat. He has to prove himself the next 2 years to justify his pick status IMO. That goes for every pick, though. I'm not singling out Hester. As far as I'm concerned, Winston Justice has to be a starter for 3 years to justify his status.
                                Im still pissed that we passed up on Justice. You guys got a steal imo. Damn, we could sure use a LT right about now. Thanks alot Accorsi...

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information