The Latest on Mike Turner?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Latest on Mike Turner?

Does anyone know what/where is going on at this point? I heard the Titans made an offer... but then he was still visiting with the Bills at some point as well...

Is he going to be somewhere else by draft day or what?

Thanks...
    The NFL Draft is the consummation of all things sports. It is where the two greatest sports, who are gravitating toward each other all year, finally meet and kiss...

Unless someone offers up a first-round pick, I doubt Turner gets moved before draft day. I wouldn't expect to hear anything until then.

A.J. Smith holds all the cards at the moment, and gains nothing by doing a deal quickly, as opposed to waiting until draft day. He can afford to stand on his asking price, and see if anyone blinks.

I seriously doubt the Bills or Titans are going to give up their first round pick; the most likely scenario there would be a swap with Tennessee. (Obviously, the Chargers would prefer to swap with Buffalo, but the Bills' #12 pick is a lot more valuable than the Titans' #19 pick. The Chargers would have to sweeten the deal a lot before Marv Levy would bite.)

I'm guessing a deal will be done on draft day....probably a second-round pick this year, and a first-day pick from next year's draft.

Comment

I think it's going to be really hard to move him unless the Chargers realize they probably won't get more than a late 2nd for him. If I were the Chargers I'd take an offer similar to what the Bills got for Willis McGahee in a 07 3rd rounder and an 08 3rd rounder.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperKevin View Post
        I think it's going to be really hard to move him unless the Chargers realize they probably won't get more than a late 2nd for him. If I were the Chargers I'd take an offer similar to what the Bills got for Willis McGahee in a 07 3rd rounder and an 08 3rd rounder.
        People keep saying stuff like this, but everyone has to realize AJ Smith puts a high value on having him on our team this year. If AJ doesn't get a high offer then he is 100% content having him as a Charger this year because he is incredible insurance to this team. AJ won't just give him away because of this, he will simply hold on to him for another year, and let him walk and take the comp pick for him when he is gone. You have to figure in the value he has as a Charger next year to the team. AJ would take an 07 2nd and 08 2nd probably, but no way a 3rd each year.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that AJ is changing his tune in terms of what kind of value he is willing to receive for Turner. At first it was "it will take a one and a three" but now he is saying that he is very open to any trade packages. I heard (I will look for the link) that a 2nd this year and a 3rd next year would do it. As a Bills fan, I hope we jump all over this...Turner will be a STUD.

Comment

To add on to what I just said...

I think the only thing holding the Bills back on trading for Turner right now is the long-term contract that he will need before he is traded. We are obviously interested in him (Owner Ralph Wilson sent a private jet to bring him into Buffalo on Thursday because he was having airline problems in Tennessee) and reportedly he is a smart and high character individual (35 on Wonderlic or something) which Marv Levy would love.

I really think that Buffalo would give up a 2nd this year and a 3rd next year in a heartbeat, but the traditional frugality of the organization in the contract portion could be a problem. However, Marv Levy has shown since he got here that when he wanted a guy then he got him (trading up for McCargo, giving big contracts to Kelsay, Dockery and Walker). Stay Tuned for sure.

Comment

The Mike Turner situation interests me a lot. It's hard to see him being an all-pro back, but he's got the talent to start in the league, so hopefully he ends up with a team that will utilize him. I think the Titans or Bills would be perfect fits.

Comment

I highly doubt he goes anywhere except on a possible draft day trade. There is no reason for either the Titans, Bills, or any other team for that matter to give up both a 1st and 3rd Round pick this year for him when he is an unresticted free agent next year.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                WHO DAT!

Comment

Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
                  I highly doubt he goes anywhere except on a possible draft day trade. There is no reason for either the Titans, Bills, or any other team for that matter to give up both a 1st and 3rd Round pick this year for him when he is an unresticted free agent next year.
                  Well the understanding is that they would be able to come to a long term agreement before officially trading for him.

Comment

Originally posted by zoinks View Post
                    Unless someone offers up a first-round pick, I doubt Turner gets moved before draft day. I wouldn't expect to hear anything until then.

A.J. Smith holds all the cards at the moment, and gains nothing by doing a deal quickly, as opposed to waiting until draft day. He can afford to stand on his asking price, and see if anyone blinks.

I seriously doubt the Bills or Titans are going to give up their first round pick; the most likely scenario there would be a swap with Tennessee. (Obviously, the Chargers would prefer to swap with Buffalo, but the Bills' #12 pick is a lot more valuable than the Titans' #19 pick. The Chargers would have to sweeten the deal a lot before Marv Levy would bite.)

I'm guessing a deal will be done on draft day....probably a second-round pick this year, and a first-day pick from next year's draft.
                    I don't agree Smith holds all the cards at all - if it comes to draft day and Turner hasn't been traded yet, Smith is going to be desperate to get him traded for picks in that draft, he's not going to want to wait until after the draft where only a player or 08 picks can be dealt. Plus the Bills or Titans could address HB in the 1st and remove themselves from the trade effectively eliminating some competition for his services which wouldn't be good for SD.

I agree waiting until the draft *could* pay off for the Chargers, but it could also backfire horribly. If anything I think the Bills, Titans etc would love to wait until draft day.

Comment

Originally posted by OzTitan View Post
                      I don't agree Smith holds all the cards at all - if it comes to draft day and Turner hasn't been traded yet, Smith is going to be desperate to get him traded for picks in that draft, he's not going to want to wait until after the draft where only a player or 08 picks can be dealt. Plus the Bills or Titans could address HB in the 1st and remove themselves from the trade effectively eliminating some competition for his services which wouldn't be good for SD.

I agree waiting until the draft *could* pay off for the Chargers, but it could also backfire horribly. If anything I think the Bills, Titans etc would love to wait until draft day.
                      Although I cannot speak for AJ, from what I understand he would be just as happy to see MT a Charger for one more year as he would be to get some good draft picks for him. The thing is, if all he is going to get is a second or third round pick for him, I think AJ, as well as me, feel that it is better to keep Turner for the year. Keeping Turner around gives us a great KR, as well as 100-120 carries off LT's mileage for what looks to be a playoff run. Not to mention the possibility *note I say possibility before comp pick "expert" jump down my throat* that we get a third round comp for him in 09 anyway, make it worthwhile to keep his services for what could be a Super Bowl run. I think most Charger fans would feel that if all we could get is a 2nd or 3rd round pick, it may be worth it to keep him for another year. I would be hapy either way though, personally.

Comment

from what I understand he would be just as happy to see MT a Charger for one more year as he would be to get some good draft picks for him.
                        He's an UFA next year... so I don't think a team would be foolish enough to deal anything for Turner.
                        The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

Originally posted by myinnerself View Post
                          People keep saying stuff like this, but everyone has to realize AJ Smith puts a high value on having him on our team this year. If AJ doesn't get a high offer then he is 100% content having him as a Charger this year because he is incredible insurance to this team. AJ won't just give him away because of this, he will simply hold on to him for another year, and let him walk and take the comp pick for him when he is gone. You have to figure in the value he has as a Charger next year to the team. AJ would take an 07 2nd and 08 2nd probably, but no way a 3rd each year.
                          You realize the comp pick they get for Turner wouldnt be until 09, and even then its not garaunteed to be a 3rd rounder. Yes, it is very nice to have him as insurance, but good backup running backs are not hard to find. They could pick one up on the 2nd day of the draft or in FA with someone like Brown or Dillon. They also still have Sproles.

I just feel like if they are getting offered any kind of decent package for him they have to take it, Turner is a waste of talent behind LT and theyre gonna get very little for him if they dont move him now. They could stockpile a lot of talent with extra picks.

Comment

Originally posted by OzTitan View Post

Sorry, but take it from someone very familiar with AJ Smith and this situation, the Chargers are in a win-win situation and hold all the cards. If AJ doesn't get an offer he likes, he won't care one bit, and he will love to have a player like Michael Turner on the roster for another year. He is worth more to the Chargers for one more year than a 3rd or late 2nd. He will never be desperate to move Turner, because he would love to have him on the team for another year, that's why the price is so high in the first place. So don't think that waiting will help, because it simply won't.

Comment

Well if he's prepared to get absolutely nothing for Turner in exchange for another season as a backup, then sure, he holds all the cards.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information