Future Suspensions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WinslowBodden View Post
    No it doesn't effect me watching the Browns games, I wouldn't miss them for pretty much anything.

Now if we lose the game by a 3 or 4 points, without Edwards you wonder "Did that cost us the game?"

And it lingers, just take their pay from that game, that will get the message across.
    Apparently fines don't work. Because these guys make so much. Not only does the NFL fine them, but the state does too for incidents like DUI. Hell, guys like Chad Johnson are willing to part with a couple thousands dollars just to wear a certain pair of shoes they like to play in. Must be nice to have money like that to spare.

Also I think the new commish is also trying to deter teams from drafting troublesome players in general.

Comment

this great news for the nfl.. a lot less character issues.

Comment

Jared Allen will miss at least four games I know people make mistakes but when you do it twice there has to be more then a slap on the rist. I'm a huge Chiefs fan and know it will hurt the team not having him but enough is enough I like that the NFL is playing hard ball.

Comment

I get a feeling Jared will be gone for eight games

Comment

Originally posted by Splat420 View Post
            Jared Allen will miss at least four games I know people make mistakes but when you do it twice there has to be more then a slap on the rist. I'm a huge Chiefs fan and know it will hurt the team not having him but enough is enough I like that the NFL is playing hard ball.
            Getting a second DUI definately deserves 4 games. I agree when you make the same mistake twice you have to be punished. I have friends that have gotten DUIs and it supposed to open your eyes and be a kick in the ass to get your crap together. At least thats what it did for my friends. In NJ you get your liscense taken away for 7 months. When you get it back your supposed to realize how bad you screwed up and never let it happen again.

Comment

So there should be no repercussions for their actions?
              Where did I say this? I said that suspending players for this sort of thing is not good for the fans and that there is a better way. Fines for a start. But not being able to watch the best players takes away from the game.

i think what goodell is doing is great, if any of us did this stuff we would be fired in a second, NFL players shouldn't be held to lower standards than us just because they can play a sport
              Thats rubbish. I've had mates get in a fight before and I didnt get fired or suspended for a year. I can get a DUI and as long as I can still get to work I would be fine. In fact, should a business fire you for something like that you would probably have grounds for legal action(obviously would depend on the job, a cop for instance would be gone, an accountant however would be fine).

That's why the Law is there.
              Exactly. If the law says they shouldnt be playing the game(jail time) then they are gone. If it is not an offense that merits time, why should the league stop them playing. I have no problems with fines, the amount of money they make it really doesnt matter to the players but those who will complain about a lack of action are appeased.

Let's say Braylon Edwards got two DUI's and was suspended. Are you going to stop watching Browns games? Of course not. So supsending these players doesn't effect the NFL at all. And as long as you keep watching it doesn't really effect the fans. Something should be done for having two DUIs though. I think a 4 game suspension should be fine.
              Actually Braylon is one of three reasons I would watch the Browns. Kamerion WImbley and if they played the Vikings, Cards or Saints being the others. I would certainly prefer he is playing and if I was 50/50 between watching them or something else, Braylon would swing it. Also, you are arguing a different argument. If I watch football I want to watch the best product, I watch NFL and NCAA because I enjoy them, I dont watch any lower level because the standard just isnt high enough to merit 2+ hours watching it. I want to see the best players play.

DUI is a serious offense but it is a legal matter and I dont think you should be suspended for it. Fined, counseled and other things, are good ideas. Suspension takes away from the game, I dont agree with that.

Maybe the players should start thinking about the fans, and their teammates before they start getting themselves in trouble. All they think about is themselves.
              Human nature. Sure they should, but just because they dont doesnt mean that I should be affected in the end. Just because A. Player doesnt think about me, doesnt mean I dont want to watch him play.

this great news for the nfl.. a lot less character issues.
              Dont get me wrong, Im all for that. But I dont want to trade less talent on the field for less character issues off it. The two are separate and should remain so. Just like church and state. Fine them, I mean real fines, not half assed fines, but dont suspend a guy for doing something stupid off the field because it punishes us fans just as much as the player.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

I'm so glad that the new commish is suspending players for improper conduct. So many rich people think they are above the law, not only athletes, but politicians and celebrities alike. Athletes need to act as good role models, because so many kids and teens are interested in athletics. They need to pay the consequences for their actions especially if they make the same mistake twice.

Comment

Originally posted by wogitalia View Post
                  Actually Braylon is one of three reasons I would watch the Browns. Kamerion WImbley and if they played the Vikings, Cards or Saints being the others. I would certainly prefer he is playing and if I was 50/50 between watching them or something else, Braylon would swing it. Also, you are arguing a different argument. If I watch football I want to watch the best product, I watch NFL and NCAA because I enjoy them, I dont watch any lower level because the standard just isnt high enough to merit 2+ hours watching it. I want to see the best players play.
                  That comment was for a Browns fan. The point was he is going to watch the Browns no matter what. Whether Braylon, Wimbley, or anyone is suspended. You can say suspending players hurts the game but its not going to hurt the NFL's bottom line by suspending a couple of the troublemakers long term. And thats all they really care about.

Comment

Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
                    actually it should have nothing to do with the law. them playing for the team is a job. if you punch one of your co-workers, regardless if the police are involved, you are going to probably get fired. all Goodell is handing out suspensions, when in all reality, in any other job they would be fired and have to start over. they are lucky SOB's in my mind that they don't get fired and aren't allow to play in the NFL again. thats how it should be. just like with any other job. if you mess up at one branch of your job they aren't going to take you in at another.

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig

Comment

Originally posted by T-RICH49 View Post
                      I get a feeling Jared will be gone for eight games
                      I hope not but would not be shocked Jared Allen has no one to blame but Jared Allen.

Comment

Make the Bengals dis ban

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
                        Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Comment

If Goodell does this, then i don't really mind at all what he gave Pacman, i was worry he wasn't going to continue this strict policy and just was trying to make a point with pacman and was going to back down. But now he is showing that you can get suspended for DUI and other crap, but on the other note.......there goes half of some NFL rosters.....LOL

Jay Cutler>Matt Leinart>>>>danman253
                          XBL GT smitty js Go Vandy!!!!!!
                          Chris Johnson son!!!!!!!!
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoUr82vUx60
                          http://www.bangcartoon.com/2007/pacman.htm

Comment

Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
                            The Law never does anything for the rich people, celebs, and athletes. If the Law isn't going to do anything, the NFL should.

Jay Cutler>Matt Leinart>>>>danman253
                            XBL GT smitty js Go Vandy!!!!!!
                            Chris Johnson son!!!!!!!!
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoUr82vUx60
                            http://www.bangcartoon.com/2007/pacman.htm

Comment

Originally posted by smittyjs View Post
                              The Law never does anything for the rich people, celebs, and athletes. If the Law isn't going to do anything, the NFL should.
                              thats ok but the nfl should at least have a trial too. i mean if they will not be convicted then they are innocent. but the nfl should have their own way of testing the prosecutor legitimacy. although i know thats double jeopardy but w/e.

Hitman D

Comment

Originally posted by wogitalia View Post
                                Thats rubbish. I've had mates get in a fight before and I didnt get fired or suspended for a year. I can get a DUI and as long as I can still get to work I would be fine. In fact, should a business fire you for something like that you would probably have grounds for legal action(obviously would depend on the job, a cop for instance would be gone, an accountant however would be fine).
                                I don't think porter should be suspended for fighting, but Pacman, Henry, & Allen would all be fired on the spot if i was thier boss(maybe i would just suspend Allen)

you being unrealistic if you think that your personal life doesnt affect your buisness

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information