Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NFL considering 17th regular season game.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL considering 17th regular season game.

NFL officials are considering adding a 17th regular season game to accommodate the league's desire to play overseas games, Commissioner Roger Goodell said yesterday, although the idea is in the formative stages.

Goodell and other league officials had not even discussed the possibility with the leaders of the NFL Players Association as of yesterday. But if the NFL decides to increase the number of regular season games it will play in foreign countries beyond the one to two per year to which owners now are committed, it could decide to add a week to the regular season to devote to a slate of overseas games while subtracting a week from the preseason.

"One negative [to playing overseas games] is you're taking a game away from fans here," Goodell said before an annual meeting of sports editors at league headquarters in New York. "We've discussed whether to cut one preseason game and add a 17th week. It would create more inventory, and that has some appeal. We're chewing on that. The issue is: How do you create more inventory?"
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...042602579.html

Booo!!

I hate when they make drastic changes.

Comment

That has bad idea written all over it.

Comment

Originally posted by 255979119 View Post
        Booo!!

I hate when they make drastic changes.
        The season used to be 12 games a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Non_Sequitur View Post
          The season used to be 12 games a year.
          How many teams?

Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by 255979119 View Post
            How many teams?

Nuff said.

So we should add more teams? We'd need to add 4 more to make the divisions flow well (condense down to two per conference).

Comment

Terrible, terrible, terrible.
              Vince Young is going to prove he's the next overrated QB to come out in years.

He'll probably end up being a WR or something...

Comment

The NFL is America's past time and should stay in America. Stop getting greedy for more money, god damn.

Comment

Bad idea. Injuries are bad enough as it is. Throw another game in there and it'll get even worse. Less games is more exciting in my opinion.

Comment

What is the point of a 17th game? The Colts always have their season wrapped up by week 13 usually. It would just be another week of playing back-ups for us.

Comment

Horrible idea. Its hard enough keeping track of records and trying to objectively view the game over time with all the rule changes etc, this would only complicate matters further.

What I do want to see them do however, is give teams 2 bye weeks to reduce injuries. I think having 2 bye weeks would greatly improve every team's injury situations.

Comment

If you are a season ticket holder and instead of getting to see your team 8 times, for the 8th game they go to China, would you be pissed? So they are trying to figure out a way that that doesn't happen. Also, it's not fair for a team to play a "home game" at a neutral sight half way across the globe. It's a better option that they add a 17th game then for them to just steal a team's home game and have them play in another country. Also, none of us can get enough football as it is, I really wouldn't mind in the lease seeing one more game every year.

edit: I really like the idea of 2 bye weeks for every team BigBlue. It would be smart for them to put forth a 2 bye system with the 17th game so that teams are appeased when worrying about injuries. It would also just be a 19 week regular season, meaning it draws things out for NFL to be in the limelight, which they will love. Interesting proposition.
                        Last edited by myinnerself; 04-27-2007, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaFootball View Post
                          The NFL is America's past time and should stay in America.
                          Lot of BS here.

Thanks to BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by Moses View Post
                            Bad idea. Injuries are bad enough as it is. Throw another game in there and it'll get even worse. Less games is more exciting in my opinion.
                            You got it right there, the NFL won't be happy until the Suber Bowl is decided by which QB's are still standing by the time the Super Bowl rolls around. The game is so watered down already by injuries and FA, that adding another game to make money will really take its toll on the players health. You have to wonder if the player's union will agree to it.
                            And proud of it!!!

Comment

i wouldnt care really. it mke playoff races more interesting at least. but i doubt its in the players best interest.

Originally posted by mythbusta
                              i love my pedestal. thats why im the mythbusta.
                              who dey?

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information