NFL bans alcohol for team functions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moses View Post
    There have been other incidents I believe. If players are drinking in the clubhouse, what are they going to do after? Drive home of course. There's no reason for that to happen.
    Meh, I just think that they don't need to be babied. They are making enough money to have a personal driver. If you can't even make out a teammates words, drive him home or call a cab.

Besides, all away games they are taken back by bus. Then they can just go get piss drunk later at a club.

The rule really does nothing

EDIT: I guess the NFL could be doing this so they aren't held responsible for any DUIs. Nobody is going to stay around the stadium or team headquarters and drink anyway lol.

If anything it promotes off location drinking, which seems more dangerous in my opinion.
    Last edited by skinzzfan25; 05-31-2007, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Moses View Post
      There have been other incidents I believe. If players are drinking in the clubhouse, what are they going to do after? Drive home of course. There's no reason for that to happen.
      so what??? No one is getting wasted in the clubhouse after playing a game...

These are grown men. they have better things to do.

And as for Josh Hancock, he's a dumbass. one bad apple shouldn't spoil the bunch.

And his parents suck too. they are suing everyone now for no reason. its not Budwieser, the MLB, the Cardinals, the bartender, or anyone else to take responsibility. Its your own life, live it how you want. personal responsibility goes a long way...

Im from the school of thought of chill the F out. Just cause theres a couple dumbasses, doesnt mean everyone else should get the shaft

Comment

Originally posted by GiantRutgersFan View Post
        Why should it be banned?

these guys are 21, so whats the big deal?
        Uhh No Amobi Okoye is 20.
        "The liberator who destroys my property, is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."-Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by GiantRutgersFan View Post
          so what??? No one is getting wasted in the clubhouse after playing a game...
          how do you know?

These are grown men. they have better things to do.
          Your right none of them will get drunk and drive.
          And his parents suck too. they are suing everyone now for no reason. its not Budwieser, the MLB, the Cardinals, the bartender, or anyone else to take responsibility.
          relevance?
          Its your own life, live it how you want. personal responsibility goes a long way...
          this doesnt mean everybody has personal responsibilities.
          Im from the school of thought of chill the F out.
          wow cool.
          Just cause theres a couple dumbasses, doesnt mean everyone else should get the shaft
          I suppose everybody was calling Josh Hancock a dumbass before he died.
          "The liberator who destroys my property, is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."-Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
            Great job by the NFL and it will prevent against any occurences like Josh Hancock
            so should we close bars down because sometimes ppl get drunk there and drive drunk and get in an accident??? Stuff is gonna happen sometimes with adults making poor choices. This doesnt mean we should go out an declare martial law and cut back everyones rights and treat them like children. I think Goodell really does mean well, but I dont like the direction he's heading.

Comment

Originally posted by TheChampIsHere View Post
              so should we close bars down because sometimes ppl get drunk there and drive drunk and get in an accident??? Stuff is gonna happen sometimes with adults making poor choices. This doesnt mean we should go out an declare martial law and cut back everyones rights and treat them like children. I think Goodell really does mean well, but I dont like the direction he's heading.
              Which direction exactly is that ?

The "You won't tear this league down because you are not bigger than it" belief to the prima donna 3rd tier players (chris henry, pac man jones, tank johnson ect) who believe they're something they're not ?

Or the "you claim to be adults, so if you're going to do something completely moronic ...we're not going to be anywhere near involved in your individual decision making process" ???

I'm curious as to how anyone could have a problem with this.
              It's not like Roger G told these guys to sober up. He's protecting the
              bigger picture. And to the little kids who are under the notion that
              Anhieser bush is relying on athletes (and not the fans) to support their product all I have to say is HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Comment

Originally posted by Severe Punishment View Post
                I'm curious as to how anyone could have a problem with this.
                It's not like Roger G told these guys to sober up. He's protecting the
                bigger picture. And to the little kids who are under the notion that
                Anhieser bush is relying on athletes (and not the fans) to support their product all I have to say is HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
                cause Goodell is being a hairy little vag.

Just let people do whatever they want. Its not a problem, so no need to make random ass rules just for no reason.

Comment

This is an idiotic policy. It isn't the team or league sponsored events where these guys have been getting wasted or out of control. It's been when these guys are off on their own time with their own friends that they've been getting into trouble. This policy does NOTHING to address that issue.
                  But hey, now the guys can all enjoy a post-game San Diego to New England flight without the benefit of getting to throw back a beer or two to ease the aches and pains they just collected while earning the league millions upon millions of dollars earlier that afternoon. Excellent work, Mr. Commish!

Comment

Originally posted by Scar View Post
                    This is an idiotic policy. It isn't the team or league sponsored events where these guys have been getting wasted or out of control. It's been when these guys are off on their own time with their own friends that they've been getting into trouble. This policy does NOTHING to address that issue.
                    But hey, now the guys can all enjoy a post-game San Diego to New England flight without the benefit of getting to throw back a beer or two to ease the aches and pains they just collected while earning the league millions upon millions of dollars earlier that afternoon. Excellent work, Mr. Commish!
                    It's an idiotic policy that is needed because there is lots of idiots in the league (and sports in general) who can't controll themselves. The NFL is just protecting itself from the ambulance chasers in case if something like Josh Hitchcock happens to one of it's players and the family of that player decides to sue the NFL.

John Hitchcock parents should be countersued for incompetent parenting if they want to go down the lawsuit pathway.

Comment

Agreed. Deep pockets attract frivolous lawsuits. However, that's all this policy change is, a CYA for the league. It doesn't address the problem of drunken player misbehavior in the least.

Comment

The players just need to learn the art of pre-drinking. Than they'll be all set.

stephenson86

Comment

Originally posted by njx9
                          yeah, i take that stance too. what good are laws? i should be able to kill someone if i want. i should be able to drive no matter how intoxicated i am. i mean, these players NEED liqour at all times. who is their employer to tell them they can't have it? i mean, just because 95% of all employers in other areas prohibit liqour at work doesn't mean that NFL players shouldn't be able to do whatever they want, whenever they want. i mean, they're millionaires. they'll absolutely make the right decision every time and never embarass their employer. do you ever think before you talk, or are you too busy trying to be the internet cool guy?
                          njx9, we should be able to do whatever we want! Being a high school student who has never had a job, I feel that I'm in a great position to argue the benefits of being allowed to slam back a few beers during/after work. I mean, at my job at Walmart we all get hammered in the break room!

Comment

The problem I have with this rule is that it's a slap in the face of players who drink responsibly. It's treating them like children to tell them that they can't have a glass of wine or a beer on a cross country flight after a game. So much for kicking back to relax after working hard all afternoon for the league's benefit. Of all the black eyes the league has received, how much of it has occurred because of something that happened while the players were at a team event? Hardly anything. It's when the irresponsible players are off on their own, not already being chaperoned because team officials know they're trouble, that all the incidents happen.
                            It's this policy that is missing the point.

Comment

Originally posted by Scar View Post
                              The problem I have with this rule is that it's a slap in the face of players who drink responsibly. It's treating them like children to tell them that they can't have a glass of wine or a beer on a cross country flight after a game. So much for kicking back to relax after working hard all afternoon for the league's benefit. Of all the black eyes the league has received, how much of it has occurred because of something that happened while the players were at a team event? Hardly anything. It's when the irresponsible players are off on their own, not already being chaperoned because team officials know they're trouble, that all the incidents happen.
                              It's this policy that is missing the point.
                              NFL cannot control what players do during their own time. Just like any other employer.

If you worked at an office job, would you expect to be allowed to knock back beers during company time on company property?

Comment

The NFL is not an office job....

and business people are allowed to drink beers at dinners with clients, on lunch break, and on flights for business trips, which is where the NFL is restricting this.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information