Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 49ers turned down Randy Moss

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/6109

When the Raiders were shopping receiver Randy Moss, they called the 49ers. But 49ers vice president of player personnel Scot McCloughan, who probably had the Antonio Bryant situation in mind, said the 49ers weren't interested. When assessing that situation, and weighing Moss, McCloughan felt more things needed to be in place in the locker room -- namely more veteran leaders.

What do people think of this? The 49ers ended up trading for Darrell Jackson instead of Randy Moss. Obviously Randy Moss is better than Jackson, but if work ethic/character was a issue, than i would take jackson. Obviously the 49ers chose jackson.

(And, i know this is possibly team board material. But were so devoid of news at this time, i thought it would be ok. But if it isnt, feel free to lock)

I gotta agree with the Antonio Bryant reference. When you have a young QB, you don't need someone who has the potential to blow up on them when making a mistake. When I first saw Bryant showing up Smith on that errant pass, I really wanted to kick him in the balls, you just can't do that to a QB, much less and young one. And Moss has always had that reputation to have rocky relationships with his QB's, and IMO it's due to his imposing personality. He does want to win, he does want to score those TD's, despite some of his actions. And if You put him with a young a still developing team, you may have to worry about him blowing up or giving up, if things go bad.

Comment

i agree, in order for randy moss to not destroy a team he needs to be on a team with alot of veteran leadership. thats why i think he will do fine in new england
      Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins, Texas Longhorns

Comment

There are very few teams in the league where Moss would have been a good fit.

IMO, Moss needed to go to a team that really didn't need him....a team that had a very strong leader at QB, and would be fine with or without Moss.

New England was the perfect fit. I also think Moss would have been very productive in Indy, but I wouldn't call it a good fit....I just don't know that he would have fit into their philosophy.

Comment

The 49ers have a young team and need veteran leadership. Jackson brings good play and leadership to the table. The last thing they need is somebody to implode in their lockeroom and create trouble.

Comment

The 49ers are developing an organization with high character guys that want to play the game of football and Randy Moss would've been a hinderance in that process

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

The Niners made the right decision Jackson can catch.
              "The liberator who destroys my property, is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."-Tyler Durden

Comment

Moss would have been a nightmare for Alex Smith, smart move by the 49ers.
                Taking a Knapp.

Comment

It wouldn't have been a good combo anyway. Moss can only run deep routes and Alex Smith doesn't have a very strong arm.

Comment

Originally posted by Stash View Post
                    It wouldn't have been a good combo anyway. Moss can only run deep routes and Alex Smith doesn't have a very strong arm.
                    no, he has a pretty strong arm

Comment

Originally posted by Stash View Post
                      Originally posted by rainbeaukid2 View Post
                      Yes, Alex has a very strong arm. He doesn't throw an accurate deep ball though.
                      The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

I don't know if I would ever turn my nose up at Randy Moss. I think I would do anything to have him back now. Oh wait.... he's 31.

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

It was a good decision. I really really don't like Randy Moss and most teams don't want him in the locker room despite what he has the potential to do on the field.

Comment

Originally posted by rainbeaukid2 View Post
                            he doesn't in Madden, that's what makes him crappy.

On topic though, I think a wise move by the Niners, Moss needs to win or else he becomes a pain in the groin, which he showed in Oakland... 49ers are improving, but they can't be sure of enough wins to keep Randy happy, hence the move will hurt them probably.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                            don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

ummm...

This thread is sort of pointless. Every team in the NFL except the Pats turned down Randy Moss.

Sig by fenikz! Cheers!
                              Originally posted by Scott Wright
                              Mr. Dukes comes from the Michael Irvin "talk loud and maybe people will think I know what I am talking about" school of football analysis.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information