The new HC and possibly new GM thread.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
    I wouldn't go that far. The Redskins are a mess in terms of cap room and such. A HC has to go into that situation knowing that the owner controls the personnel and the GM has no knowledge of anything. It is not a favorable situation.
    I don't really understand why people think Washington is a great job. Do they have nine draft picks, including the 3rd-5th pick in the draft and two 2nd round picks? Do they actually have *gasp* cap space?

Comment

The Redskins are currently $20mm over the projected cap. They will have to cut several veterans and restructure salaries just to break even. They have 6 draft picks, but their personnel department seems to value veterans more than rookies.

Combine the cap mess with the meddling owner and the mediocre "GM" and the aging roster and the absolute mess with the money owed to the coaching staf, and you have a terrible quagmire. Washington is not a quick fix job. They made the playoffs this year, but the team is not on solid footing.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

For some reason, I don't see Heckert necessarily going to get Caldwell. The GM will pick the coach, probably with some imput from the owner. Heckert has old school Dolphins ties (Jimmy Johnson tree) and Andy Reid ties. You could be looking at a retread from that camp or one of Andy Reid's guys. Maybe a young coordinator like Steve Spagnuolo (just an example). He could also reach out and go get a Steve Mariucci.

Don't forget that Atlanta is still built as a WCO team, just without a solid QB situation. They could reinstall a WCO under the right guy.
        damn it. a WCO would mean MAtt Ryan. that or a trade up for Brian Brohm (which I would like.) and JAke Long. that's cool though cause it would put Norwood into a Bryan Westbrook role.

Owner of ScarDraft
        Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report

Comment

I hate Matt Ryan as an NFL QB. He is not right for any offense. Something just seems off about him to me. He has all the tools and should be incredible, but it doesn't seem right. If Atlanta takes him, they will have a problem. They are better off building their OLine and running the ball at this point than they are getting a QB this year. Build your OLine and running game, see if Chris Redmond can take care of things for a year, then see what comes out next year. Maybe a second or third round QB can take care of business.

Take Jake Long, build your OLine, then move from there.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

I agree with that sentiment completely. The only QBs I want from this draft are Brian Brohm and Joe Flacco. Everyone else seems very iffy. What would we do if Long and McFadden and Dorsey are all gone though, and we are unable to trade down?

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by scar988 View Post
              damn it. a WCO would mean MAtt Ryan. that or a trade up for Brian Brohm (which I would like.) and JAke Long. that's cool though cause it would put Norwood into a Bryan Westbrook role.

Isn't Brohm the big WCO guy?

Comment

For some reason, I don't see Heckert necessarily going to get Caldwell. The GM will pick the coach, probably with some imput from the owner. Heckert has old school Dolphins ties (Jimmy Johnson tree) and Andy Reid ties. You could be looking at a retread from that camp or one of Andy Reid's guys. Maybe a young coordinator like Steve Spagnuolo (just an example). He could also reach out and go get a Steve Mariucci.

Don't forget that Atlanta is still built as a WCO team, just without a solid QB situation. They could reinstall a WCO under the right guy.
                I do not like any of those head coach options. Rex Ryan, Mike Singletary, and Jim Caldwell are my top guys.
                Virginia Tech.
                ACC Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2010

Next Up: 2012

Comment

initially i really wanted singletary or ryan for their defensive prowess but the nfl is quickly evolving into a league where offense wins. sure you cant have a horrible defense but keep your defense off the field while your offense scores and you have a legitimate shot at the championship. im liking caldwell.

Comment

if you guys take Spags from us I'd flip. He's a great mind who would turn your good D into a dominant one.
                    We ALL bleed scarlet
                    New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
                    UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
                    Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
                    BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

Carroll?

Interesting. Can't see it happening, but I've got to admit that he has a history of winning.

Incidentally, the fact that the Falcons have requested an interview with Spagnuolo, a former associate of Heckert, just after interviewing Heckert, suggests to me:

1. Heckert's presentation included Spag as a prominent candidate;
                      2. Heckert is the front-runner for GM.

I'd not be unhappy with that, depending on the OC. Given the Eagles background of Heckert and Spag, we might very well see a WCO guy. On the one hand, that brings back bad memories. On the other, I think Redman could be fairly proficient in that system, and it widens our options for draftable QBs. It makes Flacco and his ultra-quick release even more appealing.
                      TD 2011 catch-phrase: "explosive"

Comment

http://life.atlantafalcons.com/Forum...3249-45-1.aspx

Have a read of those two articles. Makes Spag look like a very attractive target, despite the limited experience co-ordinating experience. Jim Johnson is about as good a tutor as you can get, both technically and motivationally, and Reid was probably a good demonstration (until the past year or so) of how a HC should behave.

Comment

I am a huge Spagnuolo fan. He is going to be a very good coach, and his players love him. Trust me, he would be a good hire, even if he's about a year away from being something special.

If you hire Heckert and get Spagnuolo, that would be an excellent team to start rebuilding. I would definitely appreciate the emphasis on the defense and the intensity of Spags. You will grow to love him.

Comment

Are any of the Eagles offensive assistants possible OC candidates? I've heard that the QB coach might be, but his resume doesn't really seem strong enough to be an OC for a defensive minded HC.

Comment

The NFL is all about ability and potential on the coaching lines these days. Teams don't want to overpay for existing talent, but they want motivators and innovators. They want guys who can grow. Youth is the new trend. Get the guy with a huge amount of growth potential, who you can get on the cheap now, then build off it. Look at guys like Jason Garrett and Sean Payton, even Andy Reid. If you can find gems like that early, you can really go places.

Comment

I might be interested in Carroll.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information