Ravens Host Troy Smith!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ravens Host Troy Smith!!!!

OWINGS MILLS -- The Baltimore Ravens met with a draft prospect that already owns serious hardware, bringing in Heisman Trophy winner Troy Smith for a visit.

The undersized, athletic Ohio State quarterback visited the Ravens’ training complex this week.

Although Smith excelled at the collegiate level where he earned All-American and All-Big Ten Conference accolades, scouts have raised questions about his lack of ideal size and mechanics.

The 6-foot, 225-pound senior struggled at the NFL scouting combine with his accuracy and timing. He had no such problems as a senior until the national championship game, where he was overwhelmed by the University of Florida pass rush.

After passing for 2,542 yards and 30 touchdowns with just six interceptions on 65.3 percent accuracy during the regular season last year, Smith fell apart under heavy pressure in the BCS title game. With star wide receiver Ted Ginn out with a sprained ankle, Smith completed just 4 of 14 passes for 35 yards with no touchdowns and an interception.

The Ravens are in the market for a quarterback to groom behind starter Steve McNair, but it's unlikely to be journeyman passer Jay Fiedler.

Contrary to a published report that stated Fiedler has already scheduled a workout with Baltimore, no workout has been scheduled or in the process of being lined up, according to Fiedler's agent.

"We haven't set anything up yet with Baltimore, and nothing is imminent or happening with them at this point," said Fiedler's agent, Brian Levy. "We have spoken to the Ravens about Jay in the past. The Ravens are concentrating on the draft right now."

Fiedler worked out for the Atlanta Falcons on Wednesday, and Levy thought it went well. Fiedler apparently has a clean bill of health.

The only quarterbacks Baltimore seems to be interested in presently are incoming rookies. University of Houston quarterback Kevin Kolb visited Baltimore this week, too.

__________________________________________________ _____________________

Troy would be a good value pick with one of our 4th round comp picks

Baltimore: 7-4

If we can get him 4th round great.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
    http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
    Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
    http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

I'm not so sure Smith to the Ravens isn't the best scenario for him. If/when he's ready for a shot at the starting job, the offensive line will have been revamped, and he'll have a supporting cast of McGahee, Heap, Clayton, and Williams. Something to keep an eye on, I suppose.
      Last edited by Geo; 04-06-2007, 03:43 PM.
      Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

I will agree Troy would be a good fit in our system, but I just don't see him being there in the 4th I think someone will try and get him in the 3rd rd or early in the 4th....

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
          I'm not so sure Smith to the Ravens isn't the best scenario for him.
          I think it is. I mean he can learn under Steve McNair for a year or maybe even two.
          He is a bit like Steve, good arm and sort of mobile. After all his studies he can probably try for the starting job if we don't get another starter in here.

Comment

I thnk you misread the phrase, I was essentially agreeing with you. :)
            Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

This would be a very good situation for him, even though I would hate to see him beating up on my Browns in a couple years. Definitely one of the best places for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Yung Flippa View Post
                I think it is. I mean he can learn under Steve McNair for a year or maybe even two.
                He is a bit like Steve, good arm and sort of mobile. After all his studies he can probably try for the starting job if we don't get another starter in here.
                Your already giving up on Kyle Boller?

Give Kyle Boller 1 Last Chance
                #1 supporter of Demetrius Williams!
                I used to be MaddenPlayer52

Comment

Originally posted by RaVeNFaNaCtIc View Post
                  Your already giving up on Kyle Boller?
                  I haven't fully given up on him. But he is only under contract for one more year. Not sure if we will re-sign him or not. I mean you have to remember that not all the players in the locker room have faith in Kyle winning games. I do think that this is the last chance for Kyle to prove that he deserves a new contract with the Ravens

Comment

Boller is a good QB. I'm torn on Troy. I was a big supporter of him up until the championship game.
                    Reached 1,000 posts 4/29/07, lost it because of the deletion of the forum mock.
                    Also Also: Reached 1,000 posts again 12/31/07

Comment

i'd love to have troy if we can get him in the 4th. while i don't expect him to be great, he still has potential. i think he'd make a great backup for us and if we can develop him slowly, we could have a possible starter in the future.

also, i think the ravens have made it clear that we are interested in drafting mid round quarterback. rick neuheisel has shown a bunch of interest in trent edwards and some in drew stanton. we've also brought in kevin kolb and now troy.

Comment

Originally posted by dcarey20 View Post
                        also, i think the ravens have made it clear that we are interested in drafting mid round quarterback. rick neuheisel has shown a bunch of interest in trent edwards and some in drew stanton. we've also brought in kevin kolb and now troy.
                        I would love to have Trent Edwards above the rest but I think that we won't have a chance at him unless we use our 2nd round pick on him. His stock is really rising

Comment

Originally posted by Yung Flippa View Post
                          OWINGS MILLS -- The Baltimore Ravens met with a draft prospect that already owns serious hardware, bringing in Heisman Trophy winner Troy Smith for a visit.

The undersized, athletic Ohio State quarterback visited the Ravensí training complex this week.

Although Smith excelled at the collegiate level where he earned All-American and All-Big Ten Conference accolades, scouts have raised questions about his lack of ideal size and mechanics.

The 6-foot, 225-pound senior struggled at the NFL scouting combine with his accuracy and timing. He had no such problems as a senior until the national championship game, where he was overwhelmed by the University of Florida pass rush.

After passing for 2,542 yards and 30 touchdowns with just six interceptions on 65.3 percent accuracy during the regular season last year, Smith fell apart under heavy pressure in the BCS title game. With star wide receiver Ted Ginn out with a sprained ankle, Smith completed just 4 of 14 passes for 35 yards with no touchdowns and an interception.

The Ravens are in the market for a quarterback to groom behind starter Steve McNair, but it's unlikely to be journeyman passer Jay Fiedler.

Contrary to a published report that stated Fiedler has already scheduled a workout with Baltimore, no workout has been scheduled or in the process of being lined up, according to Fiedler's agent.

"We haven't set anything up yet with Baltimore, and nothing is imminent or happening with them at this point," said Fiedler's agent, Brian Levy. "We have spoken to the Ravens about Jay in the past. The Ravens are concentrating on the draft right now."

Fiedler worked out for the Atlanta Falcons on Wednesday, and Levy thought it went well. Fiedler apparently has a clean bill of health.

The only quarterbacks Baltimore seems to be interested in presently are incoming rookies. University of Houston quarterback Kevin Kolb visited Baltimore this week, too.

__________________________________________________ _____________________

Troy would be a good value pick with one of our 4th round comp picks
                          You have a link? If not, I'm thinking this is a slick...but late April Fool's joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Raven Domination View Post
                            You have a link? If not, I'm thinking this is a slick...but late April Fool's joke.
                            Your serious?

Give Kyle Boller 1 Last Chance
                            #1 supporter of Demetrius Williams!
                            I used to be MaddenPlayer52

Comment

It's not a joke, we're looking for a QB, and while everyone is looking the other way when it comes to Boller, is anyone surprised? I mean we went from mediocrity to a 13-3 team in a year. It's obvious the city is being torn apart on Boller, and it'd be a lot easier if we eased our minds and tried to find a diamond in the rough QB in the draft..or maybe that'll be next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information