Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys have against Price?? He has been great for us this year. Also, I watched the Fletcher video again and I am sure that he won't be back. "I don't know, we'll have to see" is not a very convicing statement when asked about the bright future of the team. You guys must at least be less assured that he will stay after that video.

Comment

• I think that we will be relatively cheap in FA, but we will make one big signing. I do not think the signing will be either Clements or Fletcher. If anything, I think it will be Clements. If I were GM though, I would go after Fletcher instead. I really think that we will end up regretting signing Clements in a few years when we are in cap trouble from his "top corner" contract. I really hope that the signing is on the offensive line somewhere.

Comment

• What I have against Price is that he doensn't offer anything special, he's short, fastish, has ok hands, but I just described Andre Davis, Josh Reed, Roscoe Parrish, and George Wilson. Honestly, he offers less. Davis offers great special teams play and probably more speed, Reed has better hands and runs better routes, parrish is a great returner, slot wr, and just great w/ the ball in his hands. Price is none of this. We need a redzone threat and w/ Lee double teamed and 8 in the box to stop willis, we need a guy thats better than mediocre w/ some size to keep moving the chains and score tds, somethine else that Price does not offer.

Comment

• As for free agency, if we can hang onto Gandy, Fletch, and get something in return for Nate, I really don't see much that we have to do. The right side of the OL needs fixing, but one signing and one draft pick can fix that, our depth would be good. I think drafting Beekman and signing Leonard Davis would fix that problem. Wouldn't be suprised to see us go after Max Starks w/ our OL coach being an ex steeler.

Other than the right side of the line... DJ Hackett? Pass rushing DE? Maybe a DT? CB if not addressed in the draft?

Our team has pretty good youth and depth everywhere so I don't really see a need to make a huge splash in Free agency, aside from Davis or Starks perhaps.

Comment

• Marv will not draft a WR in round 1, No way. We will go defense, no doubt in my mind. Also, I love Gandy as a fairly cheap solution to OG, he has been very solid.
            When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob S
              Marv will not draft a WR in round 1, No way. We will go defense, no doubt in my mind. Also, I love Gandy as a fairly cheap solution to OG, he has been very solid.
              Pretty much my thoughts on both points. I have made it very clear that I would love a WR in the first, but also that I doubt it happens.

Comment

• Also, how do we sure up our run D, that is a huge problem for us. I say we need a big ass DT in there to clog it up, I say **** the system, but thats just me. A guy like Branch would look awfully nice in buffalo imo.

Comment

• Ok, glazeduck, I agree after some revisiting that Kent looks like a much better project than Trannon. He just physically dominates and he doesn't have that laziness like Trannon. Seems like a solid possibility, but a lot of teams will probably look at him in the very late stages of the draft, especially if they are old in the WR position.

I too don't think that round one is the route we will take in finding a receiver to play opposite Evans. That is why I like looking at potential project players in later rounds. I think that we might pull a move and trade a late round pick or two to move down and get more late round picks and pick a few project players for later on that we can hide on our practice squad for 2 years when half our receivers will be gone.

I don't think we will get any big name free agents this year, I don't think Ralph will be able to out bid people well enough. Even with all the cap space we have, everyone else is looking good there as well.

I think our biggest priority this off season is taking steps towards building an offense that can defeat the 34 defense. All three other teams in the division run it now and we run the cover-2. We need an offensive line that can handle that and that is why I think that we could see an offensive guard coming in via the draft on day one, hopefully Josh Beekman or Ben Grubbs in round two. We are already pretty good for defending it with a fast LT in Peters and a quarterback who can escape pressure, but we need some help at guard and I think we will be able to find one long term starter at guard this off season.

I really wouldn't mind not signing any free agents this year because in a few years a lot of teams are going to be in cap hell with all this newly freed up money. Teams are going to be over paying guys and will pay for it down the road. If we draft smart and save this cap space for a couple years, especially once Pennington and Brady are over the hill and Losman is hitting his prime and the Dolphins having no identity at quarterback, we could be a legit super bowl team and win the division very easily in about 3 years and be able to do it for a 3 year span tidly.

After saying that, I would like to add that I would love to see Eric Steinbach in a Bills jersey next year as well as Kris Dielman anchoring our interior line beside Fowler. If those were our only two purchases I would be very excited. A kind of strange scenario I just made up in my head, we could do what the Vikings and Seahawks did last year with Hutchinson and Burleson but we could do it with Clements and Turner instead, the only thing we would have to do is make the Chargers think that they need Nate and the easiest way to do that would be to convince them that Quentin Jammer is a free safety and that Marlon McCree can play strong safety. Very unlikely just thought I would share that for the people who don't want to pay Nate and don't like McGahee long term.

As for where I stand with Peerless Price, I like the guy and all, but he isn't a starting receiver. Reed is just as good and has better hands and can use his body better. If we moved Price into the slot Parrish would prove that he is a better slot receiver with his open field ability. Then we would have him as our fourth receiver doing nothing but earning cash for doing nothing. At least Davis and Aiken add something on special teams. He isn't better than any of the three receivers behind him other than Aiken and he doesn't add something to the team that the other guys can't match or better. They all have something on him wether it is speed, hands, muscle, returning, special teams, etc. He is just there and fills up a 7 man deep receiver position. I didn't even mention Wilson's potential either.

To Rob, I agree that we need a presence in the middle, the thing that I hate about people who say 'won't fit the system' is that they base that on standards and size. Unfortunately with Mr. Branch he meets the requirements in terms of athletic ability and that is all that matters especially in our defense because he also adds 335 pounds of run stuffing ability coupled with defensive end pass rushing ability. He is the perfect fit for a cover-2 nose tackle IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Ghost
                    Ok, glazeduck, I agree after some revisiting that Kent looks like a much better project than Trannon. He just physically dominates and he doesn't have that laziness like Trannon. Seems like a solid possibility, but a lot of teams will probably look at him in the very late stages of the draft, especially if they are old in the WR position.

I too don't think that round one is the route we will take in finding a receiver to play opposite Evans. That is why I like looking at potential project players in later rounds. I think that we might pull a move and trade a late round pick or two to move down and get more late round picks and pick a few project players for later on that we can hide on our practice squad for 2 years when half our receivers will be gone.

I don't think we will get any big name free agents this year, I don't think Ralph will be able to out bid people well enough. Even with all the cap space we have, everyone else is looking good there as well.

I think our biggest priority this off season is taking steps towards building an offense that can defeat the 34 defense. All three other teams in the division run it now and we run the cover-2. We need an offensive line that can handle that and that is why I think that we could see an offensive guard coming in via the draft on day one, hopefully Josh Beekman or Ben Grubbs in round two. We are already pretty good for defending it with a fast LT in Peters and a quarterback who can escape pressure, but we need some help at guard and I think we will be able to find one long term starter at guard this off season.

I really wouldn't mind not signing any free agents this year because in a few years a lot of teams are going to be in cap hell with all this newly freed up money. Teams are going to be over paying guys and will pay for it down the road. If we draft smart and save this cap space for a couple years, especially once Pennington and Brady are over the hill and Losman is hitting his prime and the Dolphins having no identity at quarterback, we could be a legit super bowl team and win the division very easily in about 3 years and be able to do it for a 3 year span tidly.

After saying that, I would like to add that I would love to see Eric Steinbach in a Bills jersey next year as well as Kris Dielman anchoring our interior line beside Fowler. If those were our only two purchases I would be very excited. A kind of strange scenario I just made up in my head, we could do what the Vikings and Seahawks did last year with Hutchinson and Burleson but we could do it with Clements and Turner instead, the only thing we would have to do is make the Chargers think that they need Nate and the easiest way to do that would be to convince them that Quentin Jammer is a free safety and that Marlon McCree can play strong safety. Very unlikely just thought I would share that for the people who don't want to pay Nate and don't like McGahee long term.

As for where I stand with Peerless Price, I like the guy and all, but he isn't a starting receiver. Reed is just as good and has better hands and can use his body better. If we moved Price into the slot Parrish would prove that he is a better slot receiver with his open field ability. Then we would have him as our fourth receiver doing nothing but earning cash for doing nothing. At least Davis and Aiken add something on special teams. He isn't better than any of the three receivers behind him other than Aiken and he doesn't add something to the team that the other guys can't match or better. They all have something on him wether it is speed, hands, muscle, returning, special teams, etc. He is just there and fills up a 7 man deep receiver position. I didn't even mention Wilson's potential either.

To Rob, I agree that we need a presence in the middle, the thing that I hate about people who say 'won't fit the system' is that they base that on standards and size. Unfortunately with Mr. Branch he meets the requirements in terms of athletic ability and that is all that matters especially in our defense because he also adds 335 pounds of run stuffing ability coupled with defensive end pass rushing ability. He is the perfect fit for a cover-2 nose tackle IMO.
                    Me too, you will find that many people will disagree though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob S
                      Originally posted by Space Ghost
                      He is the perfect fit for a cover-2 nose tackle IMO.
                      Me too, you will find that many people will disagree though.
                      Ugh.. I know, I started saying it after the Notre Dame - Michigan game on here in one of my mock drafts and everyone bashed me for it. Bill Belicheck said it best when he said size doesn't matter, it is how they play and how they play into the scheme or something like that. Branch is athletically more gifted than any of the 290 pound defensive tackles in this years draft but he is 6-6 330 so people go bonzai when you say he could play in a cover-2 yet fail to realize that he is faster than most 34 defensive ends and even some 43 defensive ends, I bet he is faster than Ryan Denney. He would solve a lot of our run defense problems, but unfortunately I can't see him falling out of the top 10 or even top 6 or 7 for that matter.

Comment

• Yeah, i cant see him falling either. We can dream though.

Comment

• Insert Alan Branch

Comment

• When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information