Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Offical Chicago Bears Free Agency Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Offical Chicago Bears Free Agency Thread

    Considering that Free Agency actually comes before the draft and what happens during FA will determine what the Bears are able to do in the draft. I thought it would be appropriate to have a FA thread.

    I'll go first here are some possible targets.

    O-line: Eric Steinbach (CIN). I don't understand this boards reluctance to accept that Steinbach is most likely a high profile target for the Bears. He is versatile and he could be moved outside. If the Bears get him it pushes the need for an O-linemen back into the second day.

    TE: Jeremy Stevens (Sea). This might be a stretch considering questions about his maturity. However he has improved on his blocking and is viable threat to stretch the field down the middle.

    Daniel Graham (NE) He is a solid blocking TE with the ability to be a good receiving TE. He was a former first round pick and has good athleticism.

  • #2
    Originally posted by evershot View Post
    Considering that Free Agency actually comes before the draft and what happens during FA will determine what the Bears are able to do in the draft. I thought it would be appropriate to have a FA thread.

    I'll go first here are some possible targets.

    O-line: Eric Steinbach (CIN). I don't understand this boards reluctance to accept that Steinbach is most likely a high profile target for the Bears. He is versatile and he could be moved outside. If the Bears get him it pushes the need for an O-linemen back into the second day.

    TE: Jeremy Stevens (Sea). This might be a stretch considering questions about his maturity. However he has improved on his blocking and is viable threat to stretch the field down the middle.

    Daniel Graham (NE) He is a solid blocking TE with the ability to be a good receiving TE. He was a former first round pick and has good athleticism.

    Jerramy Stevens is a bum. There is no chance he signs with Chicago. Plus, Desmond Clark had a better season, with less incidents.

    Comment


    • #3
      I would like them to go after Stienbach or possibly Dielman but not at the price I think they are going to command.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by blkwdw13 View Post
        I would like them to go after Stienbach or possibly Dielman but not at the price I think they are going to command.

        I think Stienbach represents better value because he could eventually be moved outside.

        Comment


        • #5
          I would not mind going with Daniel Graham. I just dont want the Bears to overspend on FA this year on other teams players, save the money for our young guys that are going to be FA next year.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by KBear View Post
            I would not mind going with Daniel Graham. I just dont want the Bears to overspend on FA this year on other teams players, save the money for our young guys that are going to be FA next year.
            Daniel Graham is a TE and he may not command the same big salaries which the O-linemen would, but I think every team will have to over spend this off season because many teams will have a lot of salary cap money to spend.

            Comment


            • #7
              Then I am all for letting those teams spend all their cap space and then go with the left overs. We dont need any quick fixes, at least none that this years FA could provide.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by KBear View Post
                Then I am all for letting those teams spend all their cap space and then go with the left overs. We dont need any quick fixes, at least none that this years FA could provide.
                Exactly. Not to mention that with the frugality the franchise is known for it'll be hard enough to keep our own players.

                I'm starting to really sympathize with Briggs (as much as one can sympathize with a guy making 7 million).

                Chris Kelsey recently got 13 million guaranteed with 24 million extra over 4 years and he's a mediocre player. I think with this market Briggs honestly could get 20-25 million guaranteed instead of the 7.2 base he's getting from the Bears. I'm sure a lot of people will be upset when he skips all of training camp, but honestly I have a hard time blaming him when looking at it objectively.


                Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I dont blame him for wanting to get paid, but he still needs to show up. If the Bears really dont want to pay him that money, they should try to trade him. I'd prefer to get something for him then nothing. And it is something the Bears need to decide on before the draft. Any longer, then the Bears need to pay him fair market value.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by KBear View Post
                    I dont blame him for wanting to get paid, but he still needs to show up. If the Bears really dont want to pay him that money, they should try to trade him. I'd prefer to get something for him then nothing. And it is something the Bears need to decide on before the draft. Any longer, then the Bears need to pay him fair market value.
                    Well by the CBA he doesn't have to attend anything untill he signs the tender, and has untill the start of the season for him to sign, meaning he can miss all training camp and I believe the first two weeks of preseason.

                    Honestly it's a small price to pay considering how much guaranteed money they are saving with him.


                    Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Since Angelo has gotten here the Bears have been spending the cash more than the media makes it seem. As for Briggs it was a business decision and seriously if you can get a 50-60% discount wouldn't you take it?

                      As for waiting to take the leftovers I would say that is Angelo's M.O. so I wouldn't be surprise if this did happen.

                      But Angelo's NFL Personale has done a great job in evaluating current NFL talent that is available via FA. It also free's up the Bears in the draft and gives them more flexiblity. Like last year when they signed Ricky Manning to play nickel. That move reduce the need to draft a cb that could immediately step in at nickel. This made the move to draft Hester a lot easier.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        My question would be if the Bears wait that long, are they still going to resign him and would he still want to stay with the Bears. Because by then they will have all of next years FA to worry about as well, and he might just decide to play out the season and go somewhere else this time next year.

                        If the Bears are going to sign him long term, I think this is the year to do so when there really is no one esle they could use their cap space on. And I hope they front load the deal as well, so when it comes time resign Vasher/Harris/Berrian stc.. a good chunk of his contract is already out of the way.

                        But if they are not going to resign him, I would like to trade him now and get something for him.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          AS for this so called discount, there is a difference between lowest cost and lowest initial cost. Briggs just might demand even more money next year, and resigning him then might also cost more money, but also one of their own young players. Or they just might loose him. So if they are going to sign him, I think its cheaper in the long run to do so now, and like I just said front load his contract (people always value money now over money later) to get as much of his salary off the books so it will be more affordable for the Bears to resign their other good young players. Besides, its not like there really is someone else out there that Bears could use their cap space on this year.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Anyone interested in Adam Timmerman if we don't re-sign Brown? Personally I think we'll just go with Metcalf, but if they wanted to go the veteran route and couldn't sign Brown that might be a good way to go for a one year option.


                            Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Bf you were just in the Packer forum ripping on us for possibly looking as Stevens, so I hope the bears get him so i can do the same to you.... Also, wasn't it you who said Free agency was for chumps?

                              What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
                              they get smoked.

                              2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
                              Hint:Not the Bears.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information