jarron gilbert

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jarron gilbert

Would any fellow bears fan like to gilbert in bears uniform, I would rather have him then a undersized end who can swallowed up by tackles when gilbert is just as fast and bigger and stronger. I think best end in the draft is orakpo and he will be gone long before . If we go dline I say we go with gillbert who is need can shift inside sense harris get hurt a lot. Any thoughts
    One day i will be on the nfl sideline, maybe in a helmet or a headset. but it will take me to Canton, Ohio.

he doesn't fit the scheme as a DE... he could probably be a pretty good UT, but we can't afford to spend what would probably be a 1st or 2nd round pick on him with all our other needs.

Sig by me... Hold the applause.

Comment

He's Idonije but younger. I highly doubt he's as valuable to us as he will be to a 3-4 team on draft day.

Comment

He's a 5 technique in the NFL.

There really isn't a fit here.

Workout warrior as well.. Was never super productive in college.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSTKUNTLAWL View Post
          He's a 5 technique in the NFL.

There really isn't a fit here.

Workout warrior as well.. Was never super productive in college.
          Gilbert is skyrocketing up NFL draft boards now after his Pro Day. Yes you're right he's a textbook 5 technique. But you're wrong about his production.

I covered his workout at the San Jose St. Pro Day & interviewed him after. The following is from my SJSU Pro Day post on the Pro Day thread.

He was a four-year starter for the Spartans, starting at defensive end in a 4-3 defense through mid-2007, before being switched to defensive tackle. His sack production jumped from 4 in 2007 to 9.5 in 2008, putting up22 tackles for loss last season. I pointed out to him that he was playing next to DE Jeff Schweiger, a USC transfer to SJ St., & that made Schweiger locker room poster board material for Spartans opponents, so Gilbert agreed he was the beneficiary of the dbl-teams Schweiger drew vs. WAC opponents.

The rest of his measureables: He measured 6-5, 284 lbs, with 36-in. arms. He vertical jumped 37 inches, with a “tip tile” on the 38-inch mark. He ran a 4.4 short shuttle, 6.9 long shuttle, and improved his 40 time to 4.7 from his 5.0 Combine mark. His upper body strength was rated above average & his weight does not fluctuate greatly during the season ... he will probably weigh a maximum of 290 in his career.

He said he wants to play a pure DE in the NFL with his hand on the ground, the Raiders, Steelers, Chargers & others have expressed an interest in him, & Jets HC Rex Ryan personally worked him in the positional drills. Ryan has a huge mega-gut & must weigh like 350, but Gilbert consistently pushed him back every time; Ryan spent the most time with him. He had done his draft homework too, noting that "all the Steelers d-linemen are over 30 now." And Gilbert has a NFL pedigree, his father Daren played 0-line for the Saints, we all know that can be golden on draft day.

I project him cracking the 2nd rd. to a team with a 4-3 defense & a secondary need for a DE there. The Carolina Panthers had the biggest contingent there at the Pro Day with HC Jon Fox + 3 assts., I think they were there for Gilbert b/c they have known for quite awhile they will be losing Peppers in a trade & have no 1st rd. pick. By the time they pick in the 2nd Okrapo, Tyson Jackson, Maybin & Everette Brown will likely be gone, so I think Carolina will take Gilbert to replace Peppers.

Comment

I would love to see him fall to the Bears in the 3rd round, but I highly doubt that he will, and even if he did, I'm not sure if we'll take him, since he's projected as a 5 technique.

Personally I'm starting to get a little fed up with the whole idea of a "perfect fit" in this and this scheme, and that if you can play two different roles, all of a sudden you're a tweener. Look at all those DEs who're considered 3-4 OLB prospects: I doubt all of them are actually a good fit in a two-point stance.

Like Larry English for instance: wasn't he exclusively playing with a hand to the ground with Huskies? So far all places I've seen have listed him as a LB.

I think it all has something to do with all those teams trying to make the transition to 3-4, and the dire need for THOSE TEAMS. What most writers don't mention is that the majority of NFL teams still use 4-3 as their main formation. Hell, some of the typical 3-4 teams (Ravens, Chargers) use a lot of 4-3 as well. I'm sick and tired of all the 3-4 talk. Let's hope it all stops when Packers prove to the whole league why it doesn't have to be success this year...;)

Comment

Originally posted by Wavy77 View Post
              I would love to see him fall to the Bears in the 3rd round, but I highly doubt that he will, and even if he did, I'm not sure if we'll take him, since he's projected as a 5 technique.
              I'd be happy if he fell to us in the 2nd to be honest. He is better fit as a 5-technique but he would still be great in a 4-3.

Comment

The more I learn the more Im loving this pick if Nicks, Robiskie and Britt are gone.

In Marinelli and Rusty I trust, to mold this speciman into our franchise DE. We drafted Bazuin 62nd, and I think Jarron is a far superior prospect. Great size, athleticism, can rush the passer well, just needs to be trained in the Bears 4-3, and there is no immediate need for this year.

Comment

yes my prediction came true sweet now lets get a receiver
                  One day i will be on the nfl sideline, maybe in a helmet or a headset. but it will take me to Canton, Ohio.

Comment

haha nice post. foreshadowing

Comment

Good job with the pick, and in the 3rd no less.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Well he is athletic and very explosive. Very strong. Uses hands well. I hope he can play LE.

Comment

I hope he slims down a bit and plays LE. I dont like taking a UT that early. Lets hope he does both.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXDSPbZ_OUw

Comment

Gilbert can line up anywhere on the Bears Dline IMO and make plays. He can play DT next to Harris, or SDE.

Personally I think he was a great pickup and the type of single pick who can elevate the overall effectiveness of the defense.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information