Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marion the Barbarian

Just liked the nickname.

BTW I think Julius and Marion the Barbarian make a good tandem. I don't want Marion to be the guy that gets 25+ touches a game but I'm not opposed to replacing JJ. I just don't want Marion to be the guy full time.

Designs by Thule

Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
    I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.

How would you feel about a Marion / TT combo?

Comment

Originally posted by BX View Post
      How would you feel about a Marion / TT combo?
      I don't like TT, never have. I think he's about as average an NFL player as there is. He's fast. And???? He can't block, and isn't a good receiving threat. The NFL is full of guys who run fast but aren't good enough at all aspects of the game to play more than a handful of plays.

Designs by Thule

Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
      I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.

Comment

JJ out, Ray Rice in.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
          JJ out, Ray Rice in.
          deadly combo... Ray Rice + Marion Barber
          Penn State University - Detroit Red Wings - New York Jets - Red Bull New York - Fulham FC

Comment

JJ out, Jonathan Stewart in!

Comment

The new Marion Barber Higlight video will be soooo sick! I'm planning to make 1 by week 8...

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

Here's the problem with Marion Barber being a full-time back: he's not elusive enough in the backfield to be able to gain consistent positive yardage. So if a defensive lineman breaks through the line, Barber almost always will lose yardage. Jones has the quickness to be able to beat the first defender and at least get back to the line of scrimmage in most situations. That's why I don't like Barber on first and second downs.

Another problem with the Barber hype: augmentation of stats. It's been pointed out that Barber gets more chances to increase his average by running on third downs and late in the game. I don't put too much faith in that, but I don't doubt it as well. The point that I'd like to make is that without his 40 yard TD run on 4th and 1 yesterday (the easiest TD run ever, btw, perfect hole and just one defender once he got by the line of scrimmage) and Barber's numbers are much more pedestrian: 13 carries, 49 yards, 1 TD. That's not so superb as everyone is making it out to be.

I'm not saying that Barber isn't a good situational player (he's excellent at what he does), but I don't think that he is capable of carrying a team as a starting running back. Maybe Julius isn't that guy either, but I think we should give him more than two games before we totally give up on the guy for the season.

Comment

Originally posted by JJJ888 View Post
                  Here's the problem with Marion Barber being a full-time back: he's not elusive enough in the backfield to be able to gain consistent positive yardage. So if a defensive lineman breaks through the line, Barber almost always will lose yardage. Jones has the quickness to be able to beat the first defender and at least get back to the line of scrimmage in most situations. That's why I don't like Barber on first and second downs.

Another problem with the Barber hype: augmentation of stats. It's been pointed out that Barber gets more chances to increase his average by running on third downs and late in the game. I don't put too much faith in that, but I don't doubt it as well. The point that I'd like to make is that without his 40 yard TD run on 4th and 1 yesterday (the easiest TD run ever, btw, perfect hole and just one defender once he got by the line of scrimmage) and Barber's numbers are much more pedestrian: 13 carries, 49 yards, 1 TD. That's not so superb as everyone is making it out to be.

I'm not saying that Barber isn't a good situational player (he's excellent at what he does), but I don't think that he is capable of carrying a team as a starting running back. Maybe Julius isn't that guy either, but I think we should give him more than two games before we totally give up on the guy for the season.

well i respect your opinion, and i really cant fault you for seeing it the other way and backing your opinion...but all the other stuff is irrelevant, both backs get the same number of carries, and alot of series JJ will come in rested in the 3rd or 4th, with the defense tired, and not do anything, its crazy how many 3 and outs we end up getting if we try to come in running with him in the 2nd half....

You just cannot overlook how hard it is to bring MBIII down, that makes the defense even more tired then they already were and worn down, JJ gets tackled as soon as an arm gets on him and ive rarely seen barber get brought down by one dfender...

you cant ignore the fact that JJ had 32 yds, and barber had 90 yds and two tds with the same number of carries for both, jones has showed NOTHING anytime soon that shows he is a dominant back, or something for teams to gameplan around...i thought parcells was the reason he couldnt run well? he gets his chances against a worn down D just as much as barber and i watched him in the 2nd half do alot of nothing, id rather see the carries 20/10 in barbers favor

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                  I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Well let me get this started b/c Iit was metioned privately to a few ....

If we sign MBIII and if we believe he is a perfect "compliment back" then we never draft McFadden .... we draft Slaton later 1 ... and use the early on S/CB/LT.

Thoughts????

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                      i thought parcells was the reason he couldnt run well
                      Funny how BP was that way.

More than a few "high profile" picks that could not produce and somehow BP was always blamed.

Makes you wonder why guys who can't produce are still around getting second chances.

Comment

Originally posted by robert_in_bigd View Post

If we sign MBIII and if we believe he is a perfect "compliment back" then we never draft McFadden .... we draft Slaton later 1 ... and use the early on S/CB/LT.

Thoughts????
                        I'm saying we use that first pick on Kenny Phillips. The second pick will be there for whatever dumb pick we make, but we HAVE to have Kenny Phillips.

Comment

Well put me down as saying if MBIII gained some weight he would still be quick and even more punishing full time back. A Jerome Bettis type IMHO.

Under this scenario with Tyson, I let Julius walk and address other needs come FA and draft.

Comment

Originally posted by robert_in_bigd View Post

Thoughts????
                            I don't see us drafting McFadden at this point and I hope to God we dont package our whole draft for him. Slaton later on sounds good if you want to use that combo. I'd stick with MB3/TT rotation. BUT I wouldn't mind Slaton either.

Comment

WINS
                              Opp.;Carries-Yards-TD
                              Carolina;9-49-2
                              Arizona;13-65-1
                              Indianapolis;9-35-2
                              Tampa Bay;16-83-2*
                              NY Giants;12-76-2
                              Atlanta;11-69-2
                              NY Giants;11-66-1
                              Miami;14-89-2
                              8-game totals: 95-532-14
                              *Receiving TDs

LOSSES
                              Opp.;Carries-Yards-TD
                              Washington;7-45-0
                              New Orleans;2-(-1)-0
                              Philadelphia;6-3-0
                              Detroit;7-15-1
                              Seattle;3-4-0
                              5-game totals: 25-66-1

Notice a trend? The more Barber gets the ball, the better he is and the more the Cowboys win.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information