Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week 6: Cowboys vs. Patriots Thread

This is THE thread.

I was listening to Parcells talk about the game and the thing that stuck out to me was that he said, "Dallas is going to have to beat New England doing something other than what they've done, and I don't mean strategically, just meaning in philosophical approach."

That is some deep crap. If the Cowboys are to change their philosophical approach, what the heck are they going to do??? What can they do??? What will they do???

I think it's just Bill's way of saying that he has more confidence in the way Belichick and the Pats do things than he does in the way Wade and the current Cowboys staff do things. Maybe he's just taking a shot at Wade's laid-back style and implying that the Pats are going to hit us in the mouth. Maybe he's speaking exclusively of Wade's defensive philosophy. I dunno, but I don't put much stock into it, even if it did come from a man who's opinion I respect greatly. Strategy and execution will win this game. Philosophy? What the hell does he even mean by that? I wish he would have elaborated. I really think he's just being a philosophy-homer though. He's a man set in his ways, and people who see things differently simply don't see things the right way, in his opinion. That's how it is for most people anyway. Interesting comment though. Kinda cryptic.

I do know one thing, our offensive line is going to have to play one hell of a game to keep Tone loc from making too many pressure-induced mistakes. That is my biggest concern. Well, that and the fact that Julius will likely put us at 3rd and long far too many times by leaving the tough yards on the table. Yards the Barbarian seems to have a voracious appetite for, thereby eating them up with remarkable consistency. We need Barber's energy against a team like the Pats. The whole team seems to feed off it. Long 3rd down conversions don't come easily against the spytech brigade.

edit- ok, I just now heard the full Parcells quote on ESPN. Sounds like he was speaking of the Pats defense versus Romo and our offensive approach. I still don't know what he means by "philosophical" as opposed to strategy. The bottom line is that we will need to do what it takes to move the ball. I still think it's a must that we give Barber the majority of the snaps, and I think Garrett just needs to be on top of his game as far as play calling goes. That's all there is to it other than execution. Strategy and execution are key, just like any other game. The Pats aren't invincible. The reason Parcells isn't questioning their philosophical approach is because it resembles his own, while ours doesn't.
    Last edited by duckseason; 10-11-2007, 08:35 PM.

Comment

All I am saying is I am jazzed. And I have a request. If we beat the Mighty Pats, no arguing the next day between us. We truely will have nothing to complain about if we win.

No Roy bashing, No Julius aint running hard. I promise I wont even bash Carpenter, Canty or Spears.

Also, just a freakin win...I dont care if we have to kick the field goal three times or we blow them out. I dont care if it comes down to a bad call, as long as it goes our way. As long as we win.
      I published my first book. Available in ebook or paperback! Check it out!!!

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540

Comment

I just hope we use Barber 75% of the time. Using Jones against mediocre teams usually ends up in only 2-3 yard games. Against the pats, plays with jones may as well be counted as wasted downs. Use him in the flats and on screens, but please... no julius trying to muscle the ball up the gut.

In order to win this game we're going to have to give the patriots they haven't seen yet from our offense, and our defense must get pressure. No pressure, we get blown out.

Personally im preparing for a 42-20 loss. I don't think we're ready for NE yet. Maybe in the bowl, but not yet.

Comment

I think what Parcells is saying is this

1) We can't just be blitz crazy b/c their O line is smart
          2) We need to mix run with pass much better
          3) We need to get Tony out of the pocket
          4) Special Teams needs to prevent more run backs
          5) We need to mix Press Cover 2 and Cover 1 with Zone
          6) We need to use TO differently -- more crossing in short zone, less deep.

But I dunno nothing.

Comment

Parcells means were gonna have to play a bit dirty.

You know like talk trash, a few late hits, maul receivers at the line of scrimmage,
            Tell Roy and Ken to give Randy Moss a little message...you know stuff like that.

Comment

Oh yea, and some helmet to helmet hits never hurt anyone...

Comment

From the DMN blog:

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

Originally posted by Modano View Post
                  From the DMN blog:

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                  http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                  KO KNOWS

Comment

Originally posted by DSlay4 View Post
                    I think we should do to Brady what Wolfork did to Losman then say "I am sorry."

Oh and horse collar Randy everytime and say "I am sorry."

This is a team the perfected playing dirty then saying "I'm sorry" so time to get what you give.....

But if it where me once again in my glory days, their RB would know enuff to go down before he approaches b/c there was not a body part I would not break, bite, naw, punch or slap if give the chance .... once spit out my piece and took off a "chunk of chin." That c*ock sucker never said a word to me after it. I was also "sorry."

But yeah, we need to go after them angry. Out physical.
                    Last edited by robert_in_bigd; 10-10-2007, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DSlay4 View Post

I would spear Brady in the stomach. Helmet first and try to break his ribs.

If on angle, go for the back of the knees.

Don't thinkHarrison, Wilfork and Vrabel won't do it. They are the modern day Raiders -- short on talent but long on nasty.

Hell Harrison was labled the dirtiest player in the NFL ... and he loves it.

I so have visions of Brady mimicking Willis McGhee's knees in the OSU title game.

I would die laughing.

Comment

Originally posted by Modano View Post
                        From the DMN blog:

That owns me. rofl

As for this game.......what can you say? Its the biggest, most hype-worthy regular season game (read: without immediate playoff implications) around here since the annual 49er/Cowboys games during the early-mid 90s. Just wow.

Obviously, pressure will be big, as well as discipline in the deep patrol. Those both go without saying. I will be more interested in seeing how Ratliff responds to being leaned on by some serious beef late in a close game (which I expect it to be). This should be his first real, big test.

After that, I want to see the way that Romo responds to the exotic coverages that Belicheck is sure to throw at him. Last week, it seemed more of stubborness on his part in trying to fit it deep against a team that wasn't going to allow it than an inability to read coverages or determine where the throw was supposed to go. He seemed like he was damn-well bound and determined to fit it deep (though, to be fair, only 3 of the picks happened this way) no matter what. TO could have ripped them apart if Romo would have just dumped it off and let him show off his YAC ability. But against the Pats, we might see Romo genuinely confused for the first time. I fully expect at least one pick, and I'd set the over/under at 2. On the flip side, I expect us to turn Tom Terrible over at least once, too.

Lastly, I think the thing BP was referring to in that clip was the determination that the Pats have to eliminate what you do best by loading their resources against it. That, to me, means taking away Jason Witten. You'll notice that 3 of Romo's INTs were passes intended to go to him (ironically, not one INT was directed TOs way). It's pretty clear that we have been exploiting the TE matchups at an incredible rate in each of the first 5 games. Will they man up Adalius Thomas against him? Double him? What will they do? Witten will kill Bruschi or Vrabel man-on-man. Same with Harrison or Sanders. Its either manning Thomas up or doubling him if they want to concentrate on containing his ass. I look for the former to happen, with bracket coverage on TO, and some extremely unconventional, exotic rush patterns that feature plenty of containment to keep Romo in the pocket, while zone-blitzing lineman back into the short passing zones. If I was the coaching staff, I would game-plan to get Fasano involved in a lot of seam routes on the backside (opposite both Witten and TO) and be prepared to smash-mouth the hell out of them in the run game. That is our best shot, at least imo.
                        Originally posted by 21ST
                        He was protecting his self
                        Originally posted by tjsunstein
                        From what? His leg?
                        Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
                        That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
                        "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by robert_in_bigd View Post
                          I think what Parcells is saying is this

1) We can't just be blitz crazy b/c their O line is smart
                          2) We need to mix run with pass much better
                          3) We need to get Tony out of the pocket
                          4) Special Teams needs to prevent more run backs
                          5) We need to mix Press Cover 2 and Cover 1 with Zone
                          6) We need to use TO differently -- more crossing in short zone, less deep.

But I dunno nothing.
                          1) I think we need to bust out new blitz packages that we haven't shown yet. Their OL is smart, but will more likely be prepared to protect against what we've shown up to now. Time to get deep in the playbook. I don't want to reduce our pass rush attempts. Pass rush is the only way to rattle Brady.

2) Again, we need to open up the playbook a little more. Even bust out some trick plays on offense. We haven't seen much of that at all so far this year.

3) I don't know about moving Tony out of the pocket purposely. I think instead, we need to incorporate more 3 step back and quick release type plays. Tony can buy his own time by stepping out of the pocket, so I don't think we need to scheme for that to happen on purpose.

4) Yes, right on.

5) I think we need to stick with what we've been doing as far as pass coverage. Trying something new or fancy now, is not a good idea.

6) Moving TO is ok. We do need to make sure he's involved more than he has been lately though. I think NE will really try to clamp down on Witten first and foremost. Not sure if they can, but I think they will try. That could open up some things for the rest of the offense.

Comment

[QUOTE=robert_in_bigd;661623]

But if it where me once again in my glory days, their RB would know enuff to go down before he approaches b/c there was not a body part I would not break, bite, naw, punch or slap if give the chance .... once spit out my piece and took off a "chunk of chin." That c*ock sucker never said a word to me after it. I was also "sorry.

HAHAHAHAHA Yeah I'm sure you were a stud!!! Just like now your the best G.M. the NFL has never heard of. Maybe with all your biting and nawing that you did on the field you should have taken up rastling. LMAO

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Comment

1) Keep their offense off the field. That means run run run and chew up clock time. We must be effective in moving the ball down the field. We must score at every opportunity.

2) Tony has got to recognize his check-downs so that "Monday night fiasco" doesn't happen again. He can't be throwing into all kinds of coverage, especially when the other team is simply dropping their line-backers back. He DID adjust late in the 2nd half.

3) Disrupt that Moss and Brady chemistry. Don't let Moss get clean breaks off the line. Make Brady look for someone else.

4) And for $@*# sakes, don't let Ellis Hobbs get good kick return yardage/or a return for a TD. We need good special teams play here.

Cowboys 31-24

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information