Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cowboys and Barber far apart on new deal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cowboys and Barber far apart on new deal

    Now, a deal is def. going to get done but, we offered $30 million and he is looking for a massive contract between $40 and $60 million. Ha, he's not making it easy. The deal will surely get done...but, goodlord he is not worth that much, imo.

    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.3a2b5a2.html

    "The Cowboys have held preliminary talks with the running back's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, according to multiple sources, and are offering a financial package in the $30 million range."

    "Barber wants a package between $40 million and $60 million."
    Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 04-17-2008, 02:53 AM.

    Thanks BoneKrusher^

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
    KO KNOWS

  • #2
    Yep, I'm excited about this...The price range Barber is looking for is probably going to be negotiated somewhere in the middle, but I'm glad we have plans for him in the long term, that rules out McFadden for sure now...Sooner we get him done, we can move on to Canty and Hamlin, two guys I seriously want locked up.


    Good news we are pursuing this, He's never been injured for us, and if we keep another back to spell him I love what he has to offer us.





    Originally posted by Scott Wright
    I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

    Comment


    • #3
      I wonder if he holds out during training camp. I actually don't think it would be that huge of an impact because as long as he stays conditioned he should be fine, but this will be an interesting case come August.


      Originally posted by Halsey
      I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.

      Comment


      • #4
        This was expected. Our cap situation over the next few years is going to get scary very quick.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Turtlepower View Post
          I wonder if he holds out during training camp. I actually don't think it would be that huge of an impact because as long as he stays conditioned he should be fine, but this will be an interesting case come August.
          I dont think it would get to that point, but what do I know that be just a guess...He just doesnt seem like the hold out type, but his agent IS Rosenhaus.





          Originally posted by Scott Wright
          I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by leroyisgod View Post
            This was expected. Our cap situation over the next few years is going to get scary very quick.
            It already is scary and we havent even begun discussing Newman's contract yet. That one may be impossible to get done.

            Thanks BoneKrusher^

            http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
            http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
            KO KNOWS

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
              I dont think it would get to that point, but what do I know that be just a guess...He just doesnt seem like the hold out type, but his agent IS Rosenhaus.
              Yeah, I think it is Rosenhaus that worries me more than Barber as far as a holdout is concerned. Plus, it is the same situation as Larry Johnson last year. Barber, unless you guys draft a RB early, will be your workhorse this year and he knows that is shelf life isn't much longer, so he wants his money now before an injury occurs.


              Originally posted by Halsey
              I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                It already is scary and we havent even begun discussing Newman's contract yet. That one may be impossible to get done.
                Maybe its just me but depending on how our DB situation works out Newman wont be resigned, just imagine this scenario.


                We draft Jenkins/Cason and they pan out, end up a stud...We get Pacman and he stays out of trouble, gets back to lockdown corner status, at that point we just need another slot corner.


                I think its a good chance Newman gets franchised next season, which would make 2 more seasons he's with us, after that he's 32 years old and looking for a huge contract around the same time we need to re-sign Ware, if our cb situation works itself out this off season I could see Newman only having 2 seasons left(which isnt that bad at his age), but if Pacman doesnt fall through or our db doesnt pan out in the draft I think we lock him up.





                Originally posted by Scott Wright
                I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                  Yep, I'm excited about this...The price range Barber is looking for is probably going to be negotiated somewhere in the middle, but I'm glad we have plans for him in the long term, that rules out McFadden for sure now...Sooner we get him done, we can move on to Canty and Hamlin, two guys I seriously want locked up.


                  Good news we are pursuing this, He's never been injured for us, and if we keep another back to spell him I love what he has to offer us.
                  I think Hamlin is as good as gone next season. Just look at the kind of money safeties were getting in free agency last year. Hamlin is much better than any of them and he doesn't even deserve that kind of money. With all the other young players that are going to need contracts soon we won't be able to give Hamlin the kind of money he is going to demand in the market.

                  On the Barber subject, there's no way that he is worth more than $6 million a year. I would even be tentative to give him that kind of money and would not go over a 5 year contract because the shelf life is so short for RBs. There is no doubt that Barber is one of the best players in the league at his position, but the falloff in production to an average back isn't very much when you consider the amount of cap space you can save.

                  Desings by D-Unit

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I disagree, Hamlin and us have already been in discussions about a deal, I've been telling people since before he was franchised he will be back, we will not let him AND Roy walk in another year or so, Hamlin is important, im 100% we dont let him go...Might not be worked out short term because of our cap space, but he's not going anywhere.





                    Originally posted by Scott Wright
                    I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                      Maybe its just me but depending on how our DB situation works out Newman wont be resigned, just imagine this scenario.


                      We draft Jenkins/Cason and they pan out, end up a stud...We get Pacman and he stays out of trouble, gets back to lockdown corner status, at that point we just need another slot corner.


                      I think its a good chance Newman gets franchised next season, which would make 2 more seasons he's with us, after that he's 32 years old and looking for a huge contract around the same time we need to re-sign Ware, if our cb situation works itself out this off season I could see Newman only having 2 seasons left(which isnt that bad at his age), but if Pacman doesnt fall through or our db doesnt pan out in the draft I think we lock him up.
                      I wouldnt be shocked if we didnt re-sign him. I dont know how we're going to afford him...he wants a Samuel type deal and someone will be willing to give it to him. Atleast if you trade for Pacman and draft a corner in the 1st, you're set, atleast in theory, if he departs. I would obviously, want him back but, the money may not work.

                      Thanks BoneKrusher^

                      http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                      http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                      KO KNOWS

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Right now Rosenhaus has leverage because Barber is the only back on the roster. Things will change after we spend a 1st day pick on RB.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          That is a good point, D-unit. Things will change some after the draft.


                          But we all want Barber signed soon. Everyone loves that guy. He is a fan favorite, and no one tries harder, down after down, than the Barbarian!!!!!!!!!!!

                          I absolutely love to watch him run. He is a warrior.
                          I published my first book. Available in ebook or paperback! Check it out!!!

                          http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
                            That is a good point, D-unit. Things will change some after the draft.


                            But we all want Barber signed soon. Everyone loves that guy. He is a fan favorite, and no one tries harder, down after down, than the Barbarian!!!!!!!!!!!

                            I absolutely love to watch him run. He is a warrior.
                            Could be interesting w/ the potential for that stupid new stiff arm rule. Gonna take some getting used to but, he should be fine. It's complete BS, though if they do go w/ it.
                            Last edited by M.O.T.H.; 04-17-2008, 06:57 PM.

                            Thanks BoneKrusher^

                            http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                            http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                            KO KNOWS

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                              Could be interesting w/ the potential of that stupid new stiff arm rule. Gonna take some getting used to but, he should be fine.
                              Funny you mention that because that used to be the highlights of the game seeing Barber dismantle somebody's head with a stiff arm :D


                              And I agree on Newman, he might be unhappy but I think we let him play with the tag next year, he will be very old at that point and want insane money, which I dont think we have...2 more years of him is fine, if our db situation works out this off season we could part with him and that opens up plenty of room for Ware and others, but if Pacman doesnt fall thru or we dont have at least 2 other reliable options we might pony up the money, but I dont think I would be happy with giving him 50+ million at the age he will be in two years.





                              Originally posted by Scott Wright
                              I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information