Jeff Ireland ESPN Radio Interview

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff Ireland ESPN Radio Interview

With Parcells gone, how does your job change?
    It really doesn't change. We go about our busines the same way. We have a blueprint of what we're looking for. It didn't change at all. We know what we've gotta get done.

Lets start with FA, what do you look at for this team and say this is what we really need?
    You have to play that close to the vest. We have several needs on this team. There's no secret that OL is a need. We got Gurode done. We're looking at Colombo. Really just the RT position is going to be a need for us. We'll see how that goes.

Some uncertainty with Rivera? How does that affect FA or draft?
    We just continue to evaluate the process with Marco. Wade has been in contact with him. We're going to try and find good football playesr. We're going to see where that goes. We've got some depth there - Procter. But obviously we've got to have a contingency in case Rivera doesn't come back.

Do you agree with Parcells that you fill needs in FA and get BPA in the draft?
    I think getting your musts done in FA is a good bluepring to follow, but sometimes it doesn't always work that way. Sometimes the players aren't available and you have to go to the draft. We feel like there are some viable players out there for our needs, though, and we'll be players in FA for sure. We have about 2-3 guys that we're targeting. We're still evaulating that process and adding guys to the list off waiver wires.

Patric Ramsey?
    Yeah, that's strictly rumor. When he comes through the waiver wire, we'll evaluate that then.

Draft has become such a big business, but as you look at it what are the areas of strength in this draft?
    The WR posision is a strong group of guys. When you look across the board there are guys that fit the kinda guys you want on the team. IT's a good draft in the defensive secondary and the defensive line has a good group. I like the depth of the draft his year. There's going to be a lot of holes and needs that will be filled with the draft his year.

Both of your main WRs are aging...take that into consideration?
    Not only WR but you have to look at every single position. You ahve to look at wher eyou'll be 2-3 years down the road. We look at every position like that continually. Not only WR, but offensive line and defensive line.

Blaylock -- do you go by best talent available or need?
    You'd like to always sya yoou'll draft the BPA, but sometimes that doesn't always work. We don't work on a vertical board -- we work on a horizontal board. You look at players based on where they're in the same area, as in wher ethey'll go in the draft. If you have a guy that is ranked very high and he drops you hav eto look at him.

How much does character come into it, compared to talent?
    I think its huge. We take into account in what we're looking for. I've looked at past Super Bowl teams and they typically have a lot of good character players. If you don't have that, teams will start to crumble.

I've criticized going defense, do y'all even think about offense v. defense
    [signal cut out] Well, sometimes it just falls where the best player available and the biggest need is a defensive guy. That's just the way it goes.

Is FS one of those positions that you can find in FA or the draft?
    I'm going to play my cards close to the vest on that one. Safety is a position where you can find the best guys in the 1st round so if you're looking for a difference maker that's where you'll find them. But if you're looking for a solid player, then maybe you don't take them that high.

Glad he agrees with me on where to find the Best Safeties! :D

Comment

Would he say you find play making safeties on the second day?

Comment

Originally posted by thule View Post
        Would he say you find play making safeties on the second day?
        No, but he did say you find them in Round 1.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
          No, but he did say you find them in Round 1.
          The way he says it just makes me laugh

Safety is a position where you can find the best guys in the 1st round

Comment

That quote was taken out of context. He said you can find a difference maker in the first round, but you can also find Solid quality guys in later rounds (which you alluded to). The part taken out of context is that he also said that a team would have to question having alot of money tied up in the Safety position makes sense (i.e. Roy Williams and another first round S).

I personally took his comments to mean that he thinks he could get a good solid Safety later.

Designs by Thule

Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
            I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.

Comment

Originally posted by LSUALUM99 View Post
              That quote was taken out of context. He said you can find a difference maker in the first round, but you can also find Solid quality guys in later rounds (which you alluded to). The part taken out of context is that he also said that a team would have to question having alot of money tied up in the Safety position makes sense (i.e. Roy Williams and another first round S).

I personally took his comments to mean that he thinks he could get a good solid Safety later.
              I don't see anywhere where he says the team would question spending money at the Safety position.

Comment

I listened to the interview on 103.3 FM ESPN radio. And that wasn't part of the quote. Hence the reason I said it was taken out of context. The interview was alot longer than the exerpt you printed.

Designs by Thule

Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
                I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.

Comment

Tanard Jackson would be a value safety and Dime Corner if needed.

Comment

I listened to the interview on 103.3 FM ESPN radio. And that wasn't part of the quote. Hence the reason I said it was taken out of context. The interview was alot longer than the exerpt you printed.
                    Ah ok... that explains things more clearly. I always try to keep in mind that some of these things that these guys say at this point could involve some misdirection or posturing, but it's always interesting to see what they have to say.

Comment

I think Ireland is an astute football guy. I hope Jerry lets him run the draft and we will be just fine.

I've heard it said Parcells overruled the scouting department on more than one occation, specifically on the RT from USC. How did that work out?
                      In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
                        I think Ireland is an astute football guy. I hope Jerry lets him run the draft and we will be just fine.

I've heard it said Parcells overruled the scouting department on more than one occation, specifically on the RT from USC. How did that work out?
                        You wanna discredit Parcells' scouting evaluation expertise based off that single case?

Don't put yourself in a situation where I will be forced to make you look stupid.

Comment

You wanna discredit Parcells' scouting evaluation expertise based off that single case?

Don't put yourself in a situation where I will be forced to make you look stupid.
                          Personally, I don't think Parcells was a very good judge of OL talent at all; look at the guys he drafted while with us: Johnson, Rogers, Peterman, Pettitti, Whitley, and McQuistan. There is one major similarity with all those picks (other than the fact that they're all white). Nearly all of them are gone and never lived up to their hype.

However, I do think Parcells was a very good evaluator of defensive players and other offensive positions.

Comment

Originally posted by JJJ888 View Post
                            Personally, I don't think Parcells was a very good judge of OL talent at all; look at the guys he drafted while with us: Johnson, Rogers, Peterman, Pettitti, Whitley, and McQuistan. There is one major similarity with all those picks (other than the fact that they're all white). Nearly all of them are gone and never lived up to their hype.

However, I do think Parcells was a very good evaluator of defensive players and other offensive positions.
                            Now that's a better critique. Leave it up to an NFLDC pioneer to show the newer guys how we are used to having good discussions.

Comment

I think JJJ888 put it well.

There's no question Parcells left this roster in much better shape than when he got here. But he also had some busts, as everyone does.

The point I was making (and you may never be able to prove this because no one would talk on the record) that I've heard Parcells has overruled the scouting department on players during the draft. I heard someone that is associated with the organization say, I believe it was Spagnola on the Ticket, that Rogers was not the only player that happend.

As for Parcells scouting evaluations, he does not spend all of his time scouting talent. The Dallas Cowboys (as does everyone in the NFL) spend huge sums of money to hire people to do this professionally 12 months a year. The point this person was making is that Parcells watched a fraction of the file the "professional" scouts had and forced the Rogers pick over the recommendations of the scouting department.

And don't be a smartass. You couldn't make me look stupid if I had the worst day of my life and you had your best. ;)
                              Last edited by Macarthur; 03-02-2007, 04:02 PM.
                              In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information