The 2010 Cowboys FA Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 2010 Cowboys FA Thread

It sure is early to be talking about this now, but I ran into an article today that got my mind thinking...

Vince Wilfork and the Patriots seem like they are at a standstill. I believe the Pats have covered their backs for this by drafting Ron Brace. Wilfork to FA was thought to be unheard of, but from the sounds of things now, you have to wonder...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/p...urn=nfl,184659

Also Casey Hampton is a FA as well... Hmm..... Food for thought.

is it me or does Wilfork get fatter and fatter every year? Hampton will not leave the Steelers, they will pay up. I think Wilfork goes to Miami.

Comment

I know this sounds stupid but d should bring in a 30th wr in harrison to help mentor these young guys!

Comment

Originally posted by bdlyons26 View Post
        I know this sounds stupid but d should bring in a 30th wr in harrison to help mentor these young guys!
        That what coaches are supposed to do. Marvin is washed up. Not even Peyton could make things work for him last year.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
          It sure is early to be talking about this now, but I ran into an article today that got my mind thinking...

Vince Wilfork and the Patriots seem like they are at a standstill. I believe the Pats have covered their backs for this by drafting Ron Brace. Wilfork to FA was thought to be unheard of, but from the sounds of things now, you have to wonder...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/p...urn=nfl,184659

Also Casey Hampton is a FA as well... Hmm..... Food for thought.
          Forget Wilfork after the Seymour trade. He will be in NE a long time. Hampton would be nice because Ratliff could kick out to End!

Comment

As long as Wade is the HC/DC Ratliff will stay at NT. If Cowher was the HC, he might bring us a DC with the 3-4 Zone Blitz scheme and Ratliff would then move to DE. Any other person as DC... crap, that's anyone's guess as to what happens next.

Comment

Does New England have any other big FAs? If they don't, they'll just tag Wilfork and look to either trade or extend him. No chance in hell they let him go for free.

And Hampton... Ehh. He's old, and i don't know how much he'll have left in the tank. If he gives us a hometown discount, then maybe, but i wouldn't give him big money.

Comment

Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
                Does New England have any other big FAs? If they don't, they'll just tag Wilfork and look to either trade or extend him. No chance in hell they let him go for free.

And Hampton... Ehh. He's old, and i don't know how much he'll have left in the tank. If he gives us a hometown discount, then maybe, but i wouldn't give him big money.
                Logan Mankins, Leigh Bodden, Steven Neal, and Pierre Woods are probably the other "biggest" free agents. So no they won't have to shell out a lot of money on anyone else.

2011 is going to be a more difficult year with Brady, Moss, Maroney, and Light.

Comment

Free Agency

Our free agency should start with what are needs are? Any thoughts? I think we could use a better back up run stuffer at NT and depth on the o-line. Also, we have a few d-line free agents that we need to make a decision on.

Comment

I wouldn't mind resigning Spears for a very reasonable contract. He's pretty stout against the run and he's gotten some surprising penetration this season, so far.

We have to address LT. I doubt there's anyone in FA because those guys just don't hit the market.

As for NT, I think Siavii has been pretty decent for what we're asking him (10-15 plays per game).
                    In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

BTW, Brace to NE was a local pick, Brace played at BC.

Not that he's playing like he wants it this yr, but the amount of $ that they will tie up in Ware with his contract re-up is a factor here. Wasn't that also a factor in the decision to let Canty go(<--- major mistake IMO, he came cheaper than they thought b/c he was injured his last yr at UVA & overachieved his contract) ?

I think we could use a better back up run stuffer at NT and depth on the o-line.
                      Ratliff needs a backup, better to get him in the draft than FA, the Kris Jenkinses of this world don't become available all that often.

Same with the many "possession receivers" on the roster, I think Roy Williams is locked up for yrs, but the Hurd, Crayton & Austin contracts s/b staggered over 2-4 yrs but IDK if they are, anyone know? If not, & 2 of those 3 are let go in the next 2 yrs, better to pick up some young legs & speed there in the draft.

Another big question IDK the answer to: When is Flozell's new contract up? He may be the most overpaid OL in the NFL based on performance. If anybody should restructure to make room for an incoming FA it's him.
                      Last edited by LizardState; 10-05-2009, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Both Jenkins and Shaun Rogers were available for well over 1 year .... we blew it.

I remember proposing we trade for one of them but no one bit.

Comment

I'd be perfectly fine just getting some solid O-line depth in FA, not sure who will be out there but when Proctor is the 1st guy to step in you need to upgrade. Maybe we can find an Igor type of DE becoming available as a stop gap before we develop a rookie.

How long is Bowen locked up? He's gotten better and better for us, I don't know how he'd fare as a starter but he plays his ass off and has been impressive in limited time.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                          I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by herniateddisc View Post
                            Both Jenkins and Shaun Rogers were available for well over 1 year .... we blew it.

I remember proposing we trade for one of them but no one bit.
                            Just going back a year? You're kind of late to the party then.... Those two names were discussed even dating back to the Parcells years.

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                              I'd be perfectly fine just getting some solid O-line depth in FA, not sure who will be out there but when Proctor is the 1st guy to step in you need to upgrade. Maybe we can find an Igor type of DE becoming available as a stop gap before we develop a rookie.

How long is Bowen locked up? He's gotten better and better for us, I don't know how he'd fare as a starter but he plays his ass off and has been impressive in limited time.
                              I keep hearing how much Jerry likes Doug Free. That scares me. I know most of you like him more than I do. As a full time back up, that makes me feel good. As a starter... call me questionable.

But if that is the case, and Brewster is our future RT, then we're looking at back up interior linemen. ...where we already have vets. FA wouldn't be a logical route. The draft on the other hand would.

Don't worry Sergio Render! Here we come!!! :D

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information