Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Left Tackle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Left Tackle

    Now that we've seen Free in action this season vs some of the best pass rushers in the game, what are your thoughts on the position today?

  • #2
    Good thing you'll be picking after the Pack if you're thinking LT is a big need. ;) We need one badly.

    What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
    they get smoked.

    2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
    Hint:Not the Bears.

    Comment


    • #3
      Doug Free played pretty damn good considering that he hasn't played LT his whole NFL career, and it was against one of the best players in the game. I say give him a shot unless someone ridiculously good falls into their lap in the draft.
      "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
      ~Nigerian Proverb

      Da riddum is too much for you.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

      Comment


      • #4
        Been saying it for a while that I think regardless of what anyone thinks, that Jerry will let Free take the starting gig next year. IF Flozell is cut.... hopefully.

        Comment


        • #5
          Free will be our opening day starter. I'd be anything on it. We will draft interior OL. Someone similar to under that can play c or og. That'll give us insurance at the position because our coaching staff has shown we have trust in LD at left tackle. Brewster will not be a swing tackle.

          Comment


          • #6
            FWIW, I think Davis is a better RT prospect than left and Free much better Left than right.

            Let me make some controversial proposals .....

            1) Trade Witten for a early 2 and 4. Give Bennett the job.
            2) Trade Felix for a mid 1 plus third rounder.
            3) Move TNew to FS, Scandrick to start
            4) Cut Hamlin, Spears, Colombo and Flo. They are mistake prone and both Tackles are mistake prone.
            5) Davis to RT. Free to LT.
            6) Pick up a serviceable RB from FA or cuts.
            7) Hatcher or Brown to starter for Spears

            First Round: Golden Tate (WR/KR) and Davis (LT) or Ducasse or T Williams
            Second Round: Iutapi (OG) and a CB
            Third Round: Fast WR and 3-4 DE
            Fourth Round: RB and another OG
            Fifth: 3-4 NT
            Sixth: Fast ST CB or WR
            Seventh: Kicker

            I know folks will freak but we do lack some fight in this team. They play well UP but when down they give up fast. Yesterday's game was a a classic. Down 17-3 they played like it was 35-0.

            I was also very unhappy with the "Our First Drive" is everything mentality. So if you score all is great and you play confident but if not???? This si where coaching s a big issue. You can't set your team up that way emotionally. They need to be tough and understand stuff doe not always happen as you wish and you will need to win this in the 4th Q at some time.

            This team lacks that something in the tough department.
            Last edited by herniateddisc; 01-18-2010, 09:38 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by herniateddisc View Post
              FWIW, I think Davis is a better RT prospect than left and Free much better Left than right.

              Let me make some controversial proposals .....

              1) Trade Witten for a early 2 and 4. Give Bennett the job.
              2) Trade Felix for a mid 1 plus third rounder.
              3) Move TNew to FS, Scandrick to start
              4) Cut Hamlin, Spears, Colombo and Flo. They are mistake prone and both Tackles are mistake prone.
              5) Davis to RT. Free to LT.
              6) Pick up a serviceable RB from FA or cuts.
              7) Hatcher or Brown to starter for Spears

              First Round: Golden Tate (WR/KR) and Davis (LT) or Ducasse or T Williams
              Second Round: Iutapi (OG) and a CB
              Third Round: Fast WR and 3-4 DE
              Fourth Round: RB and another OG
              Fifth: 3-4 NT
              Sixth: Fast ST CB or WR
              Seventh: Kicker

              I know folks will freak but we do lack some fight in this team. They play well UP but when down they give up fast. Yesterday's game was a a classic. Down 17-3 they played like it was 35-0.

              I was also very unhappy with the "Our First Drive" is everything mentality. So if you score all is great and you play confident but if not???? This si where coaching s a big issue. You can't set your team up that way emotionally. They need to be tough and understand stuff doe not always happen as you wish and you will need to win this in the 4th Q at some time.

              This team lacks that something in the tough department.
              I agree the team lacks mental toughness. We also have issues with the OC. There is no need to gut this roster. Trading Witten and Jones is out of the question. They were the only playmakers that actually showed up. #3 is an interesting move worth considering. Cutting Flo and Hamlin are good moves. Spears and Columbo are very serviceable. Columbo should have never started....Free was playing better. As far as the draft goes you make some good points. Still early to mention prospects, but the position on need are OT/DL/DB/K. No particular order.......

              Comment


              • #8
                I think Free did pretty well getting thrown in there against one of the top 2 or 3 pass rushers in the league. The play that knocked the ball loose from Romo was not really Free's fault. The problem last night was Columbo. I don't know if he was hurt, but he was incredibly slow getting off the ball.

                I think we would have been much better last night if Flo hadn't gotten hurt and we plugged Free in for Columbo.

                I think Free will probably start at LT next year. However, I think if there is someone of value at that position when we are on the clock, we should take them. The problem is that there rarely are LTs on the board where we are picking.

                I acutally think LG is a higher priority for upgrade than OT.
                In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.


                -Douglas MacArthur

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by herniateddisc View Post
                  FWIW, I think Davis is a better RT prospect than left and Free much better Left than right.

                  Let me make some controversial proposals .....

                  1) Trade Witten for a early 2 and 4. Give Bennett the job.
                  2) Trade Felix for a mid 1 plus third rounder.
                  3) Move TNew to FS, Scandrick to start
                  4) Cut Hamlin, Spears, Colombo and Flo. They are mistake prone and both Tackles are mistake prone.
                  5) Davis to RT. Free to LT.
                  6) Pick up a serviceable RB from FA or cuts.
                  7) Hatcher or Brown to starter for Spears

                  First Round: Golden Tate (WR/KR) and Davis (LT) or Ducasse or T Williams
                  Second Round: Iutapi (OG) and a CB
                  Third Round: Fast WR and 3-4 DE
                  Fourth Round: RB and another OG
                  Fifth: 3-4 NT
                  Sixth: Fast ST CB or WR
                  Seventh: Kicker

                  I know folks will freak but we do lack some fight in this team. They play well UP but when down they give up fast. Yesterday's game was a a classic. Down 17-3 they played like it was 35-0.

                  I was also very unhappy with the "Our First Drive" is everything mentality. So if you score all is great and you play confident but if not???? This si where coaching s a big issue. You can't set your team up that way emotionally. They need to be tough and understand stuff doe not always happen as you wish and you will need to win this in the 4th Q at some time.

                  This team lacks that something in the tough department.
                  Outside of 1 and 2 not ever happening, I like the rest of it. It's not very controversial after that. ...well maybe cutting Columbo is... but that ain't happening either...

                  You say trade Witten for a 2nd and 4th... I say trade Bennett for a 2nd. It's not Madden to think that's possible. Did you see the fight in him yesterday? the guy is worth it.

                  I mentioned moving Newman to FS a long time ago. Got bashed for it. Thanks for steal my thoughts and not giving me credit. LOL. JK, I won't play that game.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I like Davis right where he is. He can play tackle, but he's much better at guard. That's what happened with him in Arizona. He played outstanding at guard, but they moved him to tackle. I think he should only play tackle if there is an injury. I am thinking they draft a tackle to compete with Free, or to be a swing tackle. Flozell is probably gone with his big contract.
                    "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
                    ~Nigerian Proverb

                    Da riddum is too much for you.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by E-Man View Post
                      I like Davis right where he is. He can play tackle, but he's much better at guard. That's what happened with him in Arizona. He played outstanding at guard, but they moved him to tackle. I think he should only play tackle if there is an injury. I am thinking they draft a tackle to compete with Free, or to be a swing tackle. Flozell is probably gone with his big contract.
                      I doubt we draft another OT if we don't go OT early. If free is viewed as a starter. I think we go interior OL...since we have FA who probably aren't brought back like Holland....and we also have no depth inside...Brewster was set to play RT in training camp this year so I think they'll try to avoid adding another OT and just play their cards with Brewster backing up LT..and having a depth peice on the inside with LD moving over in a pinch.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by thule View Post
                        I doubt we draft another OT if we don't go OT early. If free is viewed as a starter. I think we go interior OL...since we have FA who probably aren't brought back like Holland....and we also have no depth inside...Brewster was set to play RT in training camp this year so I think they'll try to avoid adding another OT and just play their cards with Brewster backing up LT..and having a depth peice on the inside with LD moving over in a pinch.
                        I was thinking that they would move Brewster inside to guard, but if they're keeping him at tackle it would make sense to go interior in the draft. I agree that the inside needs depth. I think it needs more attention than tackle, because center is a big problem to me. If Gurode goes down we have to deal with Proctor again, and no one wants to see that atrocity happen again.
                        "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
                        ~Nigerian Proverb

                        Da riddum is too much for you.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Rob, why the hell would we trade Felix Jones?

                          He's more than likely starting next year, if I had to guess right now and he's easily the best back on the team. Not the smartest idea, you've come up with.

                          Thanks BoneKrusher^

                          http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                          http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                          KO KNOWS

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Well, Free as our starting LT is nearly a lock. His back up at LT might be a more interesting discussion. Personally, I think that it has to be Robert Brewster. The guy has to step up. He may not have played a snap, but all the other things should be out of the way... adjustment to NFL lifestyle, housing, getting settled in, understanding the daily routine, knowing the playbook, the personalities on the team... the only thing in his way should be taking snaps.

                            Brewster has to be counted on as our swing tackle next year. I don't see Columbo losing his spot. Yeah, he was the worst OL yesterday... giving up 3 sacks to Ray Edwards... but I think he was rushed back. Whatevers... Flo got hurt anyways, so Free couldn't have stepped in for him.

                            But Brewster... the guy has to be our swing tackle. I don't want him to bust. He looks smart, physical, nimble and powerful... so I'm going to give Ciskowski the benefit of the doubt that Brewster was worth the pick.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
                              Rob, why the hell would we trade Felix Jones?

                              He's more than likely starting next year, if I had to guess right now and he's easily the best back on the team. Not the smartest idea, you've come up with.
                              The same reason I trade Witten.

                              1) To get back multiple players I can use who might also become stars.

                              2) It is a position of strength where our Back-ups can start in the NFL.

                              Bennett can play. Choice can play.

                              We don't need 3 NFL quality TEs.
                              We don't need 3 NFL quality RBs.

                              It is stupid to stockpile talent for the "DEEEEEEP" bench and then lose them to other teams for nothing.

                              If a guy is not taking 20% of the respective snaps for their unit and they can play -- get rid of them for value or get rid of the guy in front of him for value.

                              Bennett + Phillips plus JAG is good enuff.
                              MBIII plus Choice plus JAG is good enuff.

                              I can get serious compensation for Witten and Jones which can address the WEAKNESSes we have elsewhere.

                              The WEAKNESSES which cost us the last two playoff games. a) Better OL and b) more O play makers.
                              Last edited by herniateddisc; 01-19-2010, 06:35 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information