The 2011 Cowboys Draft Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CDCB14 View Post
    Thank you LL. Free is our LT. Moving him is just messing with things that don't need to be messed with. End of story.
    He's coming along... I'll give him that.

The better point is the one LL made about there not being an elite LT in the draft. If we had the chance to draft Joe Thomas... I'm moving Free to the right, no questions asked.

Comment

• from football outsider...couple names I've had on my radar
      1. J.J. Watt, defensive end, Wisconsin. The offensive line gets plenty of love around here, but give the defensive line some props. Watt had six tackles and two pass deflections, one of which he intercepted himself to squash any hopes Michigan had of a comeback.

2. Nick Moody, safety, Florida State. The 13 tackles were nice, but it was Moody's 96-yard interception return in the final minute that iced a big win at Maryland. Moody's coaches and teammates were yelling at Moody to go down, but the safety ignored them and sprinted to pay dirt.

3. Jordan Delegal, linebacker, Northern Illinois. Delegal blocked two punts in a rout of Ball State that wrapped up the MAC West for the Huskies. One punt was returned for a touchdown, and the other set up a score. UNI blocked a third punt on the afternoon -- tell David Letterman to spring for a special teams coach for his alma mater!

4. Stephen Paea, defensive tackle, Oregon State. The senior run stuffer was unblockable as the Beavers whacked USC, with nine tackles and a forced fumble. Paea said afterward he was offended that the Trojans went for it on fourth down six times. They were 2-6.

5. Patrick Peterson, corner, LSU. The great P-squared played what was likely his last game in Tiger Stadium. In addition to his big kick return, he intercepted the game's final pass to seal the win. Off to the NFL with ye, Patrick!

Stuff from bunting
      You’d be hard pressed to find a more technically sound offensive lineman in the country than Penn State’s Stefen Wisniewski. He isn’t the biggest or most powerful of interior linemen inside. However, he routinely is able to fire off snaps on time, generates a real snap through his hips, doesn’t waste any motion getting under defenders and properly is able to get his hands inside and under his target. Plus, he showcases good balance and coordination throughout the play in both the run and pass game and really is a tough guy to disengage from. He has the versatility to play either guard or center at the next level and is a guy who I can see coming in and starting early in his NFL career. Now, I don’t consider Wisniewski a guy who will ever mature into a real blue-chip type player at the next level, but he’s the kind of solid second/third-round pick you can win with in the trenches.
      Don’t read too much into it…
      Despite the quiet six catches for only 30 yards and a touchdown Troy wideout Jerrel Jernigan was able to muster up vs. South Carolina this weekend, it was still impressive to watch the guy generate such significant separation for himself so quickly from the slot. Jernigan was used all over the offense, but when lined up inside, the guy has the initial burst, body control and acceleration to gain a step, run away from defensive backs and then adjust to the football. Plus, he can be very creative after the catch, displaying good balance while making defenders miss either in a phone booth or in the open field. He is a bit limited in where he can play in the NFL because of his size. However, I have been waiting for this matchup all year to see how he stacks up vs. SEC-caliber competition, and I can now honestly say he looks like a potential higher end slot guy in the NFL who can help out in the return game and with some gadget plays on offense as well.

Comment

• mmmmm JJ Watt

Comment

• Wisconsin this year is the bomb.

Comment

• JJ Watt... intense player right there. 2nd rounder... could sneak in the 1st.

Jernigan... AWESOME STUD. Lookin' like a 2nd rounder... maybe 3rd... my guess.

Wis... hate to say it, but it's looking like the 1st round... could maybe get him in the 2nd.

Paea... his stock is all over the place... 1st round - 3rd round. I'd take him if he last to the 3rd and take it to the bank. Doubt he gets there though.

I watched the LSU/Ole Miss game and just wished and prayed there was some way in the world to get PP. He's so damn good. Jeez... why did we have to win the last 2 games. Sickening! ...what are we gonna do? Win the SB??? gah.

Comment

• Originally posted by baghdadbob View Post
              Wisconsin this year is the bomb.
              What would your want for the team be right now? Win as much as they can or concede the season?

Comment

• 3 more catches for Crayton and our 7th rounder becomes a 6th rounder!!!!!

But he did hurt his wrist... his ass better get 3 more grabs.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                  What would your want for the team be right now? Win as much as they can or concede the season?
                  Great question .....

If Jerrah has made up his mind that JG is the man then I say win as much as possible and build momentum for next year. That way you start with maximum credibility in JG's plan by the players. I also start phasing out guys we don't want like Bigg. (*I know this sounds contradictory but I view it as consistent for building the right platofrm and attitude to win*)

If Jerrah is going to do a Jerrah, then lose as much as possible b/c it is a rebuild anyway so give me better picks. New Staff will need to rebuild relationships with the players. New staff will need to make its player assessments .... so might as well empty the benches and protect your valuable assets from injury. Keep playing losers like Bigg.

In practice, I say if we show we can beat New Orleans, I'd say book JG for next year and go balls to the wall starting to implement the changes needed. Including Sean Lee, any OL to replace Davis, Hatcher & Bowen a shot at full time over Spears to see what he can do, Butler or Williams at ILB, Ratliff to DE and Brent to NT, bring in a bunch of Kickers to win Beuhler's job, etc .... so try to win while grooming guys.

That way Offseason we have a real plan with real data and can use FA and Draft to address -- you can project what you have as opposed to pure guessing. To boot you send the right message to the losers on this team that they better prepare to earn their jobs next year in spite of how "talented and loved" they may be at Jerrah's level.

What is key is that should be brutally competitive for the players if JG stays from now till September 2011. No respect for any player unless they earn it with performance.
                  Last edited by baghdadbob; 11-23-2010, 07:11 PM.

Comment

• I wouldn't mind giving JG 1 more season next year if he comes up with a few big wins down this stretch, but does it work like that? It seems like either him, or someone else is gonna be Head Coach for good so they'll likely get 3 years roughly to see what they can do.

If there was a way to just give Garrett a nice 1 year contract I'd be really happy by it, my worry is we go 3 years in and we see it was a mistake already in year 1. But I really need to see how competitive we play vs NO first before I am confident too much in 1 way or the other.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                    I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

3 more catches for Crayton and our 7th rounder becomes a 6th rounder!!!!!

Wow, when is the last time we turned a JJ #6 into anything?

Great news, but not holding my breadth.

Comment

Wow I completely forgot good info. I think he's gonna miss some games but he'll notch 3 catches before the season is out. He's their slot WR when healthy and Rivers is tossing it around a ton. Wish we had gotten a 6th rounder for Barber with as much as we use him.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                        I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Now that Patrick Peterson seems to be slipping away....Cameron Heyward?

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                            Now that Patrick Peterson seems to be slipping away....Cameron Heyward?

If Prince is still on board go with him. If he isn't then hopefully Dareus is still available. If none of Peterson, Amukamara, or Dareus are available then hopefully Dallas has played their way late enough into the first round that they wouldn't look like mental midgets for picking an OT.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                              Now that Patrick Peterson seems to be slipping away....Cameron Heyward?
                              I am soooo OFF that guys bandwagon, it ain't even funny. Good genes, but he's not the player I thought he was.

Comment

12 more grabs I think he has to hit 40...that injury along with Jackson come back is gonna hurt our chances.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information