The 2011 Cowboys Draft Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sniper View Post
    Which is completely irrelevant to the conversation.

Quinn had 11 sacks and 19.0 TFL as a true sophomore. I'm guessing he knows a thing or two about rushing the passer.

Which is completely irrelevant to a conversation about who the better pass rusher is.
    Gotta agree with sniper on this one. What does that have to do with anything?

Von miller is a one trick pony too.... Quinn is just better at that one trick.

Comment

• By the way, Shane and Scott got a chance to talk to Kendall Hunter, and he was very straight forward saying Dez Bryant is better than Blackmon.

Damn right.

Comment

• Originally posted by CDCB14 View Post
        Gotta agree with sniper on this one. What does that have to do with anything?

Von miller is a one trick pony too.... Quinn is just better at that one trick.
        I have to admit, I have seen much less of Quinn than Von, but do you really think that's true given Quinn's layoff?
        In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• Originally posted by Sniper View Post
          Which is completely irrelevant to the conversation.

Quinn had 11 sacks and 19.0 TFL as a true sophomore. I'm guessing he knows a thing or two about rushing the passer.

Which is completely irrelevant to a conversation about who the better pass rusher is.
          The original conversation was about who do you like better Miller or Quinn. Yes, after responding that I thought Miller was the better pass rusher, did the conversation become more focused, but I'm still being relevant to the discussion about the original topic and to the original audience.

Quinn had nice stats as a soph. I'm not saying he was bad. However, I have my reasons for thinking Miller is better. For one, Quinn was on a LOADED UNC defense with Cam Thomas, Marvin Austin, Quan Sturdivant, Deunta Williams to name a few.

Comment

• Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
            Quinn's stats are very misleading

His sacks came against Citadel (1), East Carolina (2), Virginia (3), Georgia Southern (1), Duke (3), Boston College (1) while being shutout in the category against UCONN, Georgia Tech, Florida State, Virginia Tech, Miami(FL), NC State, and Pitt

Georgia Tech is really the only game where he actually got TFLs outside of the sacks and of course that's not saying much because remember their performance against Iowa later that year, not the best line or anywhere close.

Quinn is a one trick pony who uses very little physicality and his speed his by far his greatest asset...he's got upside but not the Top 10 pick people are making him out to be
            I didn't know all that. +rep!

Comment

• Originally posted by LizardState View Post
              A+ sig, I would love to see him w/ a blue star on his helmet too.

I think other more pressing 1st rd. needs will supersede OLB on defense alone though. Dallas will be dumping Newman at CB & Spears, maybe a safety, wants another corner as Jenkins no longer inspires confidence, etc.
              I agree that OLB isn't the biggest need. But I also don't think Miller is limited to being an OLB. I think he is versatile enough to play ILB as well. Rob Ryan could get really creative in his blitz disguises with Miller.

As for Newman... I expect him to be back. I expect him to restructure his deal. I don't expect him to put much of a fuss up about it either. He won't get anything close to that on the open market. Plus, Jerry Jones is already talking about how he thinks our CBs are better than they get criticized for being. So yeah, I expect Newman to be here next season.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheFinisher View Post
                http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=4310

I hope this is true because if Jerry really does have the hots for PP, he will be a Cowboy.

Damn, I hope that's true. PP will have to slip at least to 5 in order to get into our range. A team like AZ or SF would probably be amenable to moving back and still getting a shot at one of the top QBs, or taking Amukamara and the extra picks. But this is the kind of playmaker we've been lacking in our secondary since the early days of Roy Williams. We need a dynamic force back there, be it at safety or at CB. I would love to get him.

Barring that, though, I'm really starting to fall hard for Cameron Jordan. That guy is looking great at the Senior Bowl and I've heard nothing but great stuff about him. I don't know how he's not solidly in the top 10 conversation.
                Originally posted by 21ST
                He was protecting his self
                Originally posted by tjsunstein
                From what? His leg?
                Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
                That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
                "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• Not gonna lie, Von Miller is freakin' shredded as hell. He looks like the sex.

To be honest, as long as we get a guy who is good I don't care who it is.

By the way D-Unit, Miller was doing what looked like ILB drills at the senior bowl practice, but I could be wrong.

Comment

• Robert Quinn is tough to read. Sometimes he reminds me of DeMarcus Ware. Other times he reminds me of Gaines Adams.

I need to see more games of him.

I'm iffy on Von Miller. Need to see more of him too. Kind of reminds me of Aaron Maybin.

Comment

• Yeah, he's practicing his back pedal and re-direction in space. He looks very natural catching the ball for a LB. Maybe he could play inside, but what makes him special is his pass rushing ability from the edge and I'm not sure how we integrate that will so many good pass rushers on the team already. As good as he looks, I think there are other players that will help the team more.
                      From what? His leg?

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• Originally posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
                        Yeah, he's practicing his back pedal and re-direction in space. He looks very natural catching the ball for a LB. Maybe he could play inside, but what makes him special is his pass rushing ability from the edge and I'm not sure how we integrate that will so many good pass rushers on the team already. As good as he looks, I think there are other players that will help the team more.
                        I question if he's big enough to be a 3-4 edge rusher as well. He's around 235 lbs. Way too small.

If I'm the Cowboys, I'm thinking PP, Prince, or one of the many 5 techs. This is actually a great draft to trade back and collect picks. This draft reminds me of the 05 draft, not a lot of talent in the top 10 that is that much better than picks 20-32.

Think about the 5 techs for a second. Cameron Heyward may slip to the 2nd round. And Heyward is a beast. You can be patient, grab Prince with your 1st, then move up and grab Heyward with a late 1st or early 2nd. That would be more cost effective too.

Or you can move back and go after an oline in the 20s. I'm a big Gabe Carimi fan, I've been pimping him for awhile. RT problem solved.

Lots of options here. The Cowboys would be wise not to fall in love with 1 guy.

Comment

• Also, is Solder moving up? Scott killed his performance yesterday, but the boys from Scouts Inc over at ESPN were raving about him. I like the way the board is moving. All the guys that we (or at least I) like for the Cowboys are solidifying themselves or moving up. Cam Jordan, PP, Amukamara, Solder, Tyron Smith, Von Miller etc are all getting raves. Any one of those guys would make me happy.
                          From what? His leg?

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                            I question if he's big enough to be a 3-4 edge rusher as well. He's around 235 lbs. Way too small.

If I'm the Cowboys, I'm thinking PP, Prince, or one of the many 5 techs. This is actually a great draft to trade back and collect picks. This draft reminds me of the 05 draft, not a lot of talent in the top 10 that is that much better than picks 20-32.

Think about the 5 techs for a second. Cameron Heyward may slip to the 2nd round. And Heyward is a beast. You can be patient, grab Prince with your 1st, then move up and grab Heyward with a late 1st or early 2nd. That would be more cost effective too.

Or you can move back and go after an oline in the 20s. I'm a big Gabe Carimi fan, I've been pimping him for awhile. RT problem solved.

I'm with you. I would not be upset if we got Von, but my first choice (assuming PP is gone) would be to trade back a bit and pick up an extra 2nd or something like that. We could get a very good DL and OL in the first 40 picks.
                            In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• You like Tyron? I hate him, I wouldn't touch him. He screams bust to me.

Von and Tyron are 2 guys that are either going to be studs, or busts. There's no middle ground for either of those guys.

I haven't watched Solder yet, I gotta put the eyeball on him. Right now I'm all about Gabe Carimi.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post

I've been thinking something similar. I just think that Peterson is so special, he's the kind of guy that you look back and say "wow, what if we got THAT guy?" I mean, think about the Niners in 81 wondering if it was worth going to get Lott, or the Falcons asking themselves if Deion was really that good. If Peterson is a once-in-a-generation talent--and I'm starting to really think he is--then no price (within reason, obviously) is too high.

Barring him, though, I totally agree. This is a great draft from 10-20, I think, and has a lot of 3rd-tier talent (late-1st and early 2nd guys) that will fall down the board. I totally agree on Carimi. I'd had the same thought myself. I also like Ijalana in that scenario, Brandon Harris or Raheem Morris are other great possibilities. I think all those guys are legit late 1st guys but at least one of them (along with Cam Heyward) will be on the board when we pick at 40. With Stephen Paea going down with an injury, maybe he falls down to our spot, too.

I don't think we should fall in love with anyone except Peterson. I think he is the best player in this draft. I'm starting to sour on Fairley. I would not be comfortable selecting him in the top 5. Bowers worries me too. With that high of a pick, you worry about a guy who has only done it for one year. Anyone with motivation questions scares the hell out of me. I think Peterson is the best guy in the class, and will be the defining talent. If you have a chance to get that guy, I just don't think you can pass on it. Even if the cost is very high.
                                From what? His leg?

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information