Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 2011 Cowboys Draft Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by E-Man View Post
    I understand the philosophy of not using a first rounder on an O-lineman. The Cowboys picked the all time OL god Larry Allen in the second, and they picked up Flozell there too. Not to mention the great 90's line that didn't have a single first rounder in the mix but dominated great defenses to three Super Bowls.

    I get that it can work, but I wouldn't be so married to that philosophy that I would pass up a good guy if he's the only option. I really like Carimi, and if he's there and looking like the best fit I'd go ahead and take him. Same thing with Smith if you like him. There are players I would rather have like Prince, Peterson, and Dareus, but they would look real good here.
    Really though, I really want an O-Lineman early. Really early. I'm pretty hung up on Smith at the moment, and I dont see that changing. He's my #1 guy right now. But like LL, I like the trade back scenario as well.
    The Dallas FO has a hard on for Smith now too, & I have keep reminding myself that this isn't the sexy pick that Jerry loves, & this is after all the Cowboys we're talking here so you have to acknowledge there long history of ignoring the Drafting for Need approach. Smith's emergence at the Combine was such that I thin it is being married in the minds of the draft gurus at Dallas with the obvious Fix the OL 1st philosophy. I think there focus on Smith is genuine this time.

    Something that's being somewhat forgotten in the predraft buzz now to is replacing Kitna, to say he's aging (he's going to be like 38 I think) is a big understatement & the backup QB spot simply has to be addressed for youth in a new CBA yr where there won't be many FAs available. There will be late-round value at QB available, so someone being talked about as underrated like Andy Dalton, who posted an undefeated college season, from nextdoor at TCU in Ft. Worth is an option in the 4th - 5th rds, or maybe from my program at Bama, Greg McElroy, a lifetime p/o the Cowboys Orgn. Extended Family as son of their VP of Sales & on a 1st name basis with Jerry & the Dallas inner circle who posted an undefeated 09 season & an NC ring, could be viable options for a younger backup. Can't wait too long though, the 7th rd. pick was spent already in the last supplemental draft on a NT.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by LizardState View Post
      The Dallas FO has a hard on for Smith now too, & I have keep reminding myself that this isn't the sexy pick that Jerry loves, & this is after all the Cowboys we're talking here so you have to acknowledge there long history of ignoring the Drafting for Need approach. Smith's emergence at the Combine was such that I thin it is being married in the minds of the draft gurus at Dallas with the obvious Fix the OL 1st philosophy. I think there focus on Smith is genuine this time.

      Something that's being somewhat forgotten in the predraft buzz now to is replacing Kitna, to say he's aging (he's going to be like 38 I think) is a big understatement & the backup QB spot simply has to be addressed for youth in a new CBA yr where there won't be many FAs available. There will be late-round value at QB available, so someone being talked about as underrated like Andy Dalton, who posted an undefeated college season, from nextdoor at TCU in Ft. Worth is an option in the 4th - 5th rds, or maybe from my program at Bama, Greg McElroy, a lifetime p/o the Cowboys Orgn. Extended Family as son of their VP of Sales & on a 1st name basis with Jerry & the Dallas inner circle who posted an undefeated 09 season & an NC ring, could be viable options for a younger backup. Can't wait too long though, the 7th rd. pick was spent already in the last supplemental draft on a NT.
      Have not heard that. Link??




      The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

      Comment


      • Originally posted by LizardState View Post
        The Dallas FO has a hard on for Smith now too, & I have keep reminding myself that this isn't the sexy pick that Jerry loves, & this is after all the Cowboys we're talking here so you have to acknowledge there long history of ignoring the Drafting for Need approach. Smith's emergence at the Combine was such that I thin it is being married in the minds of the draft gurus at Dallas with the obvious Fix the OL 1st philosophy. I think there focus on Smith is genuine this time.

        Something that's being somewhat forgotten in the predraft buzz now to is replacing Kitna, to say he's aging (he's going to be like 38 I think) is a big understatement & the backup QB spot simply has to be addressed for youth in a new CBA yr where there won't be many FAs available. There will be late-round value at QB available, so someone being talked about as underrated like Andy Dalton, who posted an undefeated college season, from nextdoor at TCU in Ft. Worth is an option in the 4th - 5th rds, or maybe from my program at Bama, Greg McElroy, a lifetime p/o the Cowboys Orgn. Extended Family as son of their VP of Sales & on a 1st name basis with Jerry & the Dallas inner circle who posted an undefeated 09 season & an NC ring, could be viable options for a younger backup. Can't wait too long though, the 7th rd. pick was spent already in the last supplemental draft on a NT.
        If they are interested that's good. Like I mentioned before I didn't pay attention to Smith in the USC games I watched, but it's nice to know that they are at least expanding their options.

        As for a Kitna replacement, I wouldn't even think of it in this draft. They just draft McGee with a fairly high pick two years ago, and even if he isn't the guy I doubt it will be a rookie from this draft. If McGee isn't the replacement, then I would go with a younger vet in Free Agency.
        "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
        ~Nigerian Proverb

        Da riddum is too much for you.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

        Comment


        • Originally posted by E-Man View Post
          If they are interested that's good. Like I mentioned before I didn't pay attention to Smith in the USC games I watched, but it's nice to know that they are at least expanding their options.

          As for a Kitna replacement, I wouldn't even think of it in this draft. They just draft McGee with a fairly high pick two years ago, and even if he isn't the guy I doubt it will be a rookie from this draft. If McGee isn't the replacement, then I would go with a younger vet in Free Agency.
          I like Matt Leinart. ;)

          Comment


          • Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
            I like Matt Leinart. ;)
            No idea why, except where he played college. ;0




            The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

            Comment


            • Originally posted by pocketaces View Post
              Have not heard that. Link??

              Yea I saw him post that in another part of the forum and asked for a link also. I would love it if it were true but I haven't heard anything like that.



              Anyway, I'm starting to think trading up for Peterson is actually a realistic option.


              It looks like two QB's are going top 5, even if say Gabbert slides out then I think Tennessee makes the easy pick at 8. Either way it's looking like a very strong possibility.


              3 other guys I consider a lock to go are Von Miller, Daquan Bowers, and AJ Green. I honestly think Peterson makes it out of the top 5 where we would likely use a 3rd or a few mid round picks to move up.


              The wildcard team is the Bills, I think they are going QB first and D-line 2nd, but if he slips by them we would have the Bengals, Cards, & Browns to deal up with. Thing is, it's not a given any of those teams want to move down, because if their guy is sitting there no way they move back down.



              We just need to jump SF, the more I see Peterson going 7th in mocks the more I think it's likely to make that move.


              Also while were on that topic, I get the feelings Jerry would keep him at CB, especially with Newman a good guess to get cut. So we'd still have a hole at Safety, while I'm all for PP playing FS I don't think it happens unless he fails at CB ie Antrell Rolle & Malcolm Jenkins.



              If he gets into that 4-6 range, we should be able to keep our 2nd rounder.





              Originally posted by Scott Wright
              I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

              Comment


              • I also read some really good reviews on Watt from Mayock, who has him rated over Jordan:



                Appearing on NFL Network's Total Access Monday night, NFL Network's Mike Mayock raved about Wisconsin DE J.J. Watt.
                "I just watched him on tape today against TCU in the Rose Bowl," said Mayock. "He's a beast. He's a first-round pick." Mayock moved Watt to the top of his draft board among 3-4 defensive ends, ranking Watt ahead of Cameron Jordan and Cameron Heyward. Watt is certainly the best pure pass rusher of the group.
                Source: NFL.com Feb 8, 9:52 AM




                NFL Network's Mike Mayock calls Wisconsin DE J.J. Watt the best "five-technique" end he's ever seen.
                "Better than Tyson Jackson who went No. 3 overall [in the 2009 draft]," added Mayock. Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema, who coached Aaron Kampman at Iowa, says he's never had "anybody better" as a defensive lineman. "J.J.'s just got a little more burst and athletic ability," said Bielema. "But same type of temperament."
                Source: AtlantaFalcons.com Feb 27, 5:44 PM



                Calling him the best 5 tech he's ever seen is some mighty high praise, would make me feel comfortable with the pick. I'm either on board with trading up for Peterson, or standing where we are and taking Tyron Smith or Watt.


                Probably like those ideas more then trading down, I would have no problem taking an elite player just to take advantage of having a top 10 pick.





                Originally posted by Scott Wright
                I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by TheFinisher View Post
                  I've been on the Watt train for a while so I'm a bit biased, but as a 5 tech Watt is much better than both those guys. Jordan is strictly a LE in a 40 front, he's not physical enough to play inside IMO.

                  We've tossed around the idea of Prince at 9 but I think our need for an impact DL is much higher than a CB. If we can land 1 good S in FA I really think we'll see a big improvement in the secondary. I think it would be wise to jump on a CB somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd round because this class is real deep at CB. Gimme Johnny Patrick in the 3rd over Prince at 9.

                  On the flipside I see Watt as the best DL in the draft and there is a huge dropoff between him and the guys who will be around in the 3rd like Ballard.

                  I think our strategy as far as rounds go should look something like this:

                  1. Watt
                  2. Best OL
                  3. Best CB

                  There's gonna be some great value at OL when we pick in the 2nd as well as CB value in the 3rd.

                  Just my take.
                  I couldn't help but point out how bias this post is.

                  You said "Jordan is strictly a LE in a 40 front". Is this a projection on your part....or did you not watch one single game that Jordan played in?

                  You might want to backup that statement since that is quite far away from the norm. While I love people bringing up new ideas that haven't been talked about...you didn't back that up with any facts.

                  If you can bring in some talk about Jordan lacking physicality I'd love that as well...pretty sure I can quote anyone from the senior bowl or coaching staff and not see the word soft.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by dan77733 View Post
                    Question for you Cowboys fans from a 49ers fan -

                    What do you think the chances are of Jerry Jones trading up from 9 to 6 if CB Patrick Peterson falls there?

                    As a 49ers fan, I want Peterson the most followed by Prince but im worried that if Peterson falls to 6, DAL will jump ahead of the 49ers to get him.

                    Also, secondary wise, if the Cowboys were to draft Peterson or Prince, what are the chances that Newman moves to FS?

                    Thanks.
                    If Peterson fall out of the top 5 Dallas will make some phone calls. I don't expect them to overpay. I'd be very surprised if Dallas was willing to give up their first 2 picks for him. 1st and 3rd would probably be the cost that dallas would buy. Not sure how the player trading will work but that is something that might have more value...not sure if you can trade players with no CBA though.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by LizardState View Post
                      The Dallas FO has a hard on for Smith now too, & I have keep reminding myself that this isn't the sexy pick that Jerry loves, & this is after all the Cowboys we're talking here so you have to acknowledge there long history of ignoring the Drafting for Need approach. Smith's emergence at the Combine was such that I thin it is being married in the minds of the draft gurus at Dallas with the obvious Fix the OL 1st philosophy. I think there focus on Smith is genuine this time.

                      Something that's being somewhat forgotten in the predraft buzz now to is replacing Kitna, to say he's aging (he's going to be like 38 I think) is a big understatement & the backup QB spot simply has to be addressed for youth in a new CBA yr where there won't be many FAs available. There will be late-round value at QB available, so someone being talked about as underrated like Andy Dalton, who posted an undefeated college season, from nextdoor at TCU in Ft. Worth is an option in the 4th - 5th rds, or maybe from my program at Bama, Greg McElroy, a lifetime p/o the Cowboys Orgn. Extended Family as son of their VP of Sales & on a 1st name basis with Jerry & the Dallas inner circle who posted an undefeated 09 season & an NC ring, could be viable options for a younger backup. Can't wait too long though, the 7th rd. pick was spent already in the last supplemental draft on a NT.
                      McGee played well enough to keep his job imo. Garrett was very approving of him on the field after week 17. If we were to bring in someone McElroy makes the most sense....his wonderlic score is attractive as is his W/L record...but that said I think McGee earned himself a roster spot in 2011 by his play in week 17. We won't/shouldn't draft a 4th QB.

                      Also just to note...we lost a 7th round pick in the supplemental...but we also have SD's 7th round pick from the Crayton deal.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by thule View Post
                        I couldn't help but point out how bias this post is.

                        You said "Jordan is strictly a LE in a 40 front". Is this a projection on your part....or did you not watch one single game that Jordan played in?

                        You might want to backup that statement since that is quite far away from the norm. While I love people bringing up new ideas that haven't been talked about...you didn't back that up with any facts.

                        If you can bring in some talk about Jordan lacking physicality I'd love that as well...pretty sure I can quote anyone from the senior bowl or coaching staff and not see the word soft.
                        He's a finesse player and I think he'd be much better off as a LE in a traditional front. He's never struck me as an dominating interior player, I don't think he'll be able to handle Guards as well as Watt will at the NFL level. I've never seen him flash a great bull rush and collapse the pocket and you'd expect that out of a dominating 5 technique. I think he's strong enough to hold up at the POA but he'll never overpower anyone.

                        I've seen Watt physically manhandle lineman in college, but never have with Jordan.
                        Cowboys Mock:
                        1. Myles Jack | LB | UCLA
                        2. Vernon Butler | DT | LA Tech
                        3. Karl Joseph | SS | WVU

                        Comment


                        • Every year after the combine I try to come up with a declaration for the Dallas Cowboys and the up coming draft.

                          I'm going to go all over the board here so sorry if it feels like it's all over the place.

                          The biggest thing to get out of this draft is the question that no one here can answer. How much power does Jason Garrett have.

                          Anyone that watched the Cowboys last year saw Jason Garrett cut out the PA game and the deep drops. We just didn't have the protection and to protect our QB we implemented a heavy quick passing scheme. But look at the JG offense the 2 years prior and you see that it's a layers passing scheme.

                          I bring this up for one simple thing that has a chance to be answered on draft day.

                          3 scenarios can take place. Move up/stay/move down.

                          Moving up makes sense for 1 person imo. It's been noted by sources that Peterson is #1 on our board. If he were to fall out of the top 5 I'd be hard pressed to see Jerry not on the phone. The cost is going to be the only thing keeping it from happening. However like I said about a 1st and a 2nd round pick seems steep...so it's going to have to be a team not looking for a lot.

                          Staying put makes some sense....should have our choice at a few need positions. 5-tech/OT/CB should all have value there. So this is where I look to see who is running the show. This OT class has 4 surefire starters in the first round imo and there seems to be a few different flavors. That said the 5-tech's value looks to be better...so this could be a classic BPA vs. BPA for need. The exception here is Prince because he fills a need and is arguably the one guy in this class that could start at Safety for us an be an upgrade over what we had last year. Prince also could be the replacement for Newman if that is the direction the team decides to go....Hard to argue that Prince wouldn't be the perfect fit here regardless of where you play him.

                          Last thing to look at is a trade down. The QB class this year is all over the board. It's going to come down to team preferences. Julio Jones also working out better than AJ Green adds another blue chip prospect to the top 10 mix. Trading down to me comes as the most likely to be done on draft day for the Cowboys.

                          While trading down usually comes with decreased talent...we are in an interesting spot. The DL class is probably the most talented/deep in the past 10 years. This corner class is also deep. The exception for me here when looking at our needs is the OT class. While the 2nd and 3rd rounds are full of OG/C tweeners the OT goes from starter to borderline 2nd string at about the end of the 1st round.

                          My thoughts are this....if Jason Garrett is truly running the show, I think it is highly likely that we move down into that 12-16 range. Garrett is an offensive minded head coach...and while Jerry has a history of going skill position I think that when breaking down the offense last year and the defense...that the secondary and the OL held us back.

                          My guess is on draft day.

                          PP probably goes top 5...if he doesn't I still find it unlikely that we move up for him unless it's something little like moving up to pick 8 just because of the asking price.

                          If we are picking on the clock at #9 and a offer comes that makes sense I wouldn't be the least bit surprised at us moving down. As a matter of fact I think that is what we will do. If a blue chip prospect is available at 9 I think you take him. But I just don't see that happening at this point.

                          I think when stacking up this draft class you'll see us try to get 2 starters early and a 3rd corner later.

                          I think we'll go DL first and move back into the first round to take our future OT or OG. The only thing I could see changing this is if we like one of the corners. Then we could take our pick in the 3rd round with the deep DL class.

                          If we decide to go OL or DB at 9 which would be my 2nd most likely scenario...we'll definitely have a target on Stephen Paea. I have no doubt in my mind that he is our Sean Lee. Injury concerns and a 1st round talent that will probably fall because of the outstanding concerns. On the field he is a 1st round talent....pair the concerns with an amazing DL class and he'll fall further than he should. I think we'll make it an issue to add him to our team if we go OL/DB at 9.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by TheFinisher View Post
                            He's a finesse player and I think he'd be much better off as a LE in a traditional front. He's never struck me as an dominating interior player, I don't think he'll be able to handle Guards as well as Watt will at the NFL level. I've never seen him flash a great bull rush and collapse the pocket and you'd expect that out of a dominating 5 technique. I think he's strong enough to hold up at the POA but he'll never overpower anyone.

                            I've seen Watt physically manhandle lineman in college, but never have with Jordan.
                            I'll start by posting a non-bias video. This is not a highlight video...this is a breakdown of him. The pro's and cons. I find it funny that you knock his bull rush when that is arguably his best attribute. His ability to overwhelm the interior OL with his hands is why scouts rave about his ability to be violent on the inside.


                            Senior Bowl excerpt
                            http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-e...cameron-jordan
                            "One of his greatest strengths is his hands. He has very active hands, very strong hands, and that makes it really hard for an offensive lineman to stick on the block. One of the things that separates the good defensive linemen from the great ones is the ability to counter when they don't win with their first move, and he does an excellent job countering when he doesn't win with his first move. He's relentless, too. You'll see him chasing running backs 40 yards down the field.
                            The funny thing is that you call him a "finesse player" yet everything that his 2010 tape and 2011 offseason workouts have proved is how violent and how much of a man he has looked like when playing amongst the best in the senior bowl. Then his knock was his lateral agility....he went to the combine and I thought he outperformed his athletic ability he had shown on tape. That isn't a knock on him...it actually shows some untapped potential which raises his ceiling which was thought to be not as high as some guys in this class.

                            Bottom line is...while stacking Jordan and Watt up next to each other it's hard to go wrong with either one....but what you said about Jordan has almost little to no merit. Feel free to back up your thoughts and views with sources if you want and we can continue this argument...but I'm going to go with you haven't seen enough of Jordan to even have enough knowledge to form a informative opinion on him.

                            Watt is teh sex...but don't sell other prospect short over your homerism for Watt.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by thule View Post
                              Every year after the combine I try to come up with a declaration for the Dallas Cowboys and the up coming draft.

                              I'm going to go all over the board here so sorry if it feels like it's all over the place.

                              The biggest thing to get out of this draft is the question that no one here can answer. How much power does Jason Garrett have.

                              Anyone that watched the Cowboys last year saw Jason Garrett cut out the PA game and the deep drops. We just didn't have the protection and to protect our QB we implemented a heavy quick passing scheme. But look at the JG offense the 2 years prior and you see that it's a layers passing scheme.

                              I bring this up for one simple thing that has a chance to be answered on draft day.

                              3 scenarios can take place. Move up/stay/move down.

                              Moving up makes sense for 1 person imo. It's been noted by sources that Peterson is #1 on our board. If he were to fall out of the top 5 I'd be hard pressed to see Jerry not on the phone. The cost is going to be the only thing keeping it from happening. However like I said about a 1st and a 2nd round pick seems steep...so it's going to have to be a team not looking for a lot.

                              Staying put makes some sense....should have our choice at a few need positions. 5-tech/OT/CB should all have value there. So this is where I look to see who is running the show. This OT class has 4 surefire starters in the first round imo and there seems to be a few different flavors. That said the 5-tech's value looks to be better...so this could be a classic BPA vs. BPA for need. The exception here is Prince because he fills a need and is arguably the one guy in this class that could start at Safety for us an be an upgrade over what we had last year. Prince also could be the replacement for Newman if that is the direction the team decides to go....Hard to argue that Prince wouldn't be the perfect fit here regardless of where you play him.

                              Last thing to look at is a trade down. The QB class this year is all over the board. It's going to come down to team preferences. Julio Jones also working out better than AJ Green adds another blue chip prospect to the top 10 mix. Trading down to me comes as the most likely to be done on draft day for the Cowboys.

                              While trading down usually comes with decreased talent...we are in an interesting spot. The DL class is probably the most talented/deep in the past 10 years. This corner class is also deep. The exception for me here when looking at our needs is the OT class. While the 2nd and 3rd rounds are full of OG/C tweeners the OT goes from starter to borderline 2nd string at about the end of the 1st round.

                              My thoughts are this....if Jason Garrett is truly running the show, I think it is highly likely that we move down into that 12-16 range. Garrett is an offensive minded head coach...and while Jerry has a history of going skill position I think that when breaking down the offense last year and the defense...that the secondary and the OL held us back.

                              My guess is on draft day.

                              PP probably goes top 5...if he doesn't I still find it unlikely that we move up for him unless it's something little like moving up to pick 8 just because of the asking price.

                              If we are picking on the clock at #9 and a offer comes that makes sense I wouldn't be the least bit surprised at us moving down. As a matter of fact I think that is what we will do. If a blue chip prospect is available at 9 I think you take him. But I just don't see that happening at this point.

                              I think when stacking up this draft class you'll see us try to get 2 starters early and a 3rd corner later.

                              I think we'll go DL first and move back into the first round to take our future OT or OG. The only thing I could see changing this is if we like one of the corners. Then we could take our pick in the 3rd round with the deep DL class.

                              If we decide to go OL or DB at 9 which would be my 2nd most likely scenario...we'll definitely have a target on Stephen Paea. I have no doubt in my mind that he is our Sean Lee. Injury concerns and a 1st round talent that will probably fall because of the outstanding concerns. On the field he is a 1st round talent....pair the concerns with an amazing DL class and he'll fall further than he should. I think we'll make it an issue to add him to our team if we go OL/DB at 9.
                              I like your thoughts man. Sound as always. I'll reply to your post and provide some of my own thoughts in the process. I may be all over the place as well in this post, but here goes.

                              As for Jason Garrett, much was made about him being the shot caller on player acquisition on his hire announcement, but we're smarter than to take Jerry for his word, right? haha. I can understand the apprehension to disbelieve, and the interest to see how Garrett works his way through this draft. Personally, I don't think that we are more likely to take an offensive player just because Garrett is an offensive guy. I know you didn't infer that, I'm just saying. But I do agree if it is an offensive pick then OT is the only way to go.

                              As much as I love Tyron Smith, I just don't buy Jerry's Cowboys to draft an OL in Round 1. Things might be different this year without the ability to fill needs via FA prior to the draft. But I think/hope the team will do their homework and realize that once FA does begin that the class of FAs will be one of the best in years at all positions. If they do that, then I think we'll once again attempt to fill immediate OL needs (mainly RT) via FA with proven vets.

                              So I'm not investing a lot of thought into addressing the OL in the draft to fill immediate needs. Rather, look at us addressing OL in the draft on developmental guys. I've mentioned these names before, but I think the Cowboys look at a C prospect like Brandon Fusco or a John Moffitt (Garrrett has close ties to Wisconsin's OC) at the mid rounds in the draft..

                              --------------------------------------

                              I find it interesting that you're holding onto that though that if we would draft Amukamara at #9 that we would plug him in at Safety. Don't get me wrong. I love the thought, but I'm not sure that's how the team would use him. Same with Peterson. I love the thought of him as a Safety, but I'm not sure that's how we'd use him if we got him. I hear the timidness of giving up picks for Peterson, but my take is that...I give up our 1st and 2nd in a heartbeat!!! He's not just a game changer, he's a team changer. Dude can help turn this team around single handedly. He's one of those Polamalu, Reed, Revis, Woodson, Bailey, the old Bob Sanders types. Their impact to the team is identity altering. Either way, Peterson or Prince at CB or S is ok with me. First step is to get one.

                              I don't see Peterson getting past the Niners at 7, so I think a move up to Cleveland at 6 is our most hopeful scenario (while we squeeze our cheeks that not only he falls there, but no other team tries to trade up for him either). We have a history of trading with the Browns, so that is something to keep in mind... BUT what I think really helps us is the fact that Julio Jones has emerged as the Top WR on many teams' boards post combine. I think Cleveland could be hoping for Jones or Green, so #9 is a great opportunity for them to get one and pick up pick(s).

                              I want Peterson more than any combination we can get with our first 2 picks. I predict Newman gets cut. There's just no way we can justify his salary for next season. Maybe we see a situation similar to what GB did with AJ Hawk. I dunno. But I See Newman, Roy, Barber, Colombo all getting the boot. That clears up over $22M in just 2011-12 salary. Those monies I predict will be spent on one big FA signing followed by some smaller ones.

                              The big one could even be Asomugha. With Rob Ryan's close ties, I think we have a leg up on the competition. That might not even be our last steal from the Raiders. I could see us getting Huff too. Maybe a more likely scenario is that we get one or the other. I can live with that. If we get Aso, Peterson goes to S. If we get Huff, Peterson stays at CB opposite Jenkins. We'll need a veteran in the secondary once we let Newman go. I think Newman could get more money on the FA market than we would be willing to offer him. But if he takes less to stay with us, I'm fine with that too. I just know that we can't afford to pay him his $9M dollars next season.

                              So where are we know??? I told you I'd be all over the place... Umm, DE. I like Watt more than Jordan by a mile. I think Jordan will have a harder time making the adjustment against NFL OL. I think Finisher has a point when he called him finesse. Jordan gets by on technique and speed... which would be great if we were running a 4-3. But I just don't think he has the mass or power for being a 34 DE in Ryan's scheme. I wouldn't question his ability to fight through blocks, but I would question his ability to occupy blockers for our LBs to make play and I think he would be a liability against the run too. Watt is more of a complete package. He's got the long arms, power and instinct I love. I would be totally stoked if we stayed at #9 and took JJ Watt. But that's not my prediction.

                              If we stay at #9, I would predict us going with Prince Amukamara. I think the need is far too great. Our secondary was torn to shreds last season. His 40 time at the combined eased some of my concerns about his lack of speed to be honest. Plus, the DL class is deep enough that someone will be there in Round 2... a Muhammed Wilkerson, Allen Bailey, Christian Ballard, Corey Liuget type. That said, I wouldn't automatically peg us with one just because we passed on Watt or Cameron in Round 1. Jerry has shown the affinity for drafting OL in Round 2, so I could see us going that route with a Marcus Cannon, Stefan Wisneiwski, Mike Pouncey...

                              I see that you've locked on to Stephen Paea. Interesting. I know Ryan was impressed with his bench press numbers, but based on his size, I question his fit with our defense. I'm sure Ryan is flexibile enough to scheme around the players, but it still raises a question mark with me. I should know better than to base my opinion on a Polynesian based off his height. Those guys are bred like oxes. Their sisters could probably start for some NFL teams. LOL. If we land Paea, I know where to spread the love. You called it on Jason Williams, maybe you hit again this year.

                              If we trade down, then all hell breaks loose on the different scenarios.

                              Comment


                              • I still don't get how everyone thinks Newman and Jenkins BOTH took a step backwards. If Newman took a step backwards, I would be willing to say age caught up with him. If Jenkins took a step backwards, I could see the arguement that he was a young, exposed player. But when BOTH of them step backwards at the same time???? It seems to me that means the pass rush was lacking.

                                I hate drafting a 3-4 DL so high in the first round unless a dominate force falls. So maybe an OL is the way to go (I am not a fan of this, either.)

                                All I am saying is when ALL of the cornerbacks take a step back we need to look at other positions.

                                And for the record-I think it would be dumb to take PP or Prince and change their position to Safety. Safety is not as important as Cornerback. If you draft a great prospect at corner and change him to safety, you are making a big mistake.

                                If anyone can show me ONE example of drafting a great cornerback prospect and moving him to safety and getting great results, I will admit I am wrong. Untill then, stop talking about drafting an awesome cornerback and using him as a safety!

                                I am fearful of taking a stand against D-Unit for obvious reasons. He has more cred than I do. But drafting a top corner prospect and moving him to safety? Why would you do that??? And more importantly, has it ever been done? And has it ever been done with positive results?
                                Last edited by HEISMANHERSCHEL; 03-10-2011, 12:10 AM.
                                I published my first book. Available in ebook or paperback! Check it out!!!

                                http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information