Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerry needs to ball out this off-season. One of those o-lineman MUST be had.

Comment

• Mankins or D. Penn would be good. Also, Davin Joseph would be a good get, too.

If we could land 2 of those 3 and draft someone fairly high, that would be a huge shot in the arm.

D, that's a pretty good list of OL. I think signing 2 and drafting one would put us in pretty good shape. What are some of the names on that list you like?
      In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• Do you think Jerry will do it?

We haven't been big players in free agency the past 2 years, so hopefully this year we make some moves. You can't just sit around and think this was a fluke season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morton View Post
          Guess the truth hurts, huh?

The highlight of the Cowboys from 1996-2015 will be a single playoff win over the Eagles. lol.
          Trolling on team pgs is verboten on this board. Take the interloper out & shoot him. Cowboys fans patience has worn very thin this yr.

2nd and 3rd rounders on the interior and right tackle can easily become above average starters dude...

Do you think you know football?
          May I respond? the 1st rd. is where the talent is, so a strong hint to Jerry: don't trade backward out of the 1st rd. anymore. Anyone who knows fb or paid attn. to the draft in recent decades has seen more & more o-linemen taken in it & they start as rookies. Some like D'Brickashaw & Joe Thomas have been golden from day 1, failing a FA acquisition I think Dallas needs one of those, Colombo is looking more & more like swingman backup for both OTs material. ...... in the worst way. As one nightmare game follows another with serous OL issues I'm buying into the keep Free & everybody else up for grabs. Later rds. are for the safety vs. the CB (yes I'm still singing that old song), the true center maybe named Wisniewski &/or a guard to replace borderline worthless Leonard Davis. Gurode is showing his mieage but still serviceable at OG not center, & the TEs seems to be able to keep edge rushers out for 2.5 secs, that rush up the middle is killing them b/c the interior front 3 are losing the fight on down after down.

Comment

• I always liked Max jean gilles in college. I am not sure how he is doing with the Eagles or how he is developing, but I liked him. Mankins is a good get, and Ryan K. I liked as well in college. Not sure about the other guys. I am more of a fan of undrafted free agents coming in and making the team or drafting trench players on both sides of the ball.

I think we share different philosophies. Some people may say fix it by signing free agents and throwing money that way, others may say build the trenches from within. I prefer drafting trench players.

I like how we do that on both sides of the ball. Even undrafted free agents can work out if given the chance and developed correctly.

Comment

• Originally posted by CDCB14 View Post
              Jerry needs to ball out this off-season. One of those o-lineman MUST be had.
              On 2nd thought maybe they can throw a buttload of $ at a FA OL, the good ones tend to be resigned by everybody but the cheapest of teams -- ** cough, cough, Zona, cough ** -- so it's rare. Also rare is a good rookie to be had in the 1st rd. this draft like D said, Carimi & Clint Boling (UGA, played both LT & RT) underwhelmed, Castonzo: a downright disappointment. Matt Reynolds (BYU LT, 23 yrs old) might well be the 1st tackle taken & per the wiki article has already been on an LDS mission, that's why he's a yr older than most srs. I'm thinking Reynolds will be there next April.

Edit: I will be watching Derek Sherrod closely in the Bama @ Mississippi St. game next month. Here's his CBS Sports predraft evaluation

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1273478

I realize it's very subjective evaluating O-linemen, that's the position where they DON'T want their name to be called b/c it's when they eff up, so you have to go with the non-measureables like passion for the game, mean streak, still consistency is hard to find there, maybe moreso than any other position. I know it takes 2-3 yrs. minimum to train a good OL in the same system, maybe there isn't one worth taking in the top 10 or even 1st rd. but if you can't get the apple out of the barrel you have to pick a semi-green off the tree.
              Last edited by LizardState; 10-29-2010, 03:32 PM.

Comment

• Hate to admit it but it looks like Dallas will be drafting in the top 10 next April. If present trends continue Dallas will be right behind the really horrible teams & in this order

1) Buffalo
                2) 49ers
                3) Carolina
                4) Pick a crash & burn team or Cleveland here
                5) Dallas
                6 - 8) Rams, Raiders, Denver, whoever.....

So there will be talent who can be drafted. Avoid the distractions for a chg, the sexy edge rusher DE, the hot WR, the 30 carries/gm RB, & do a damn TEAM NEEDS draft for once! Let the 9ers, Panthers, & Buffalo spend megamillions on Locker, Mallett or whoever.

Got to be safety or OL.

And don't go crazy & trade away the mid-rounders, Jerry. At that high a spot Dallas can draft the safety or OG they didn't get in the 1st, the kicker, DE depth &/or Spears' replacement, the true center, depth anywhere else.

Dallas may want to become UCLA East in the draft: focus on Kai Forbath, PK & Rahim Moore, safety. Aikman was an Okie & a transfer from Barry Switzer & the Sooners but came from Westwood, he didn't have a bad career as a Cowboy :--)

Comment

Do you think Jerry will do it?

We haven't been big players in free agency the past 2 years, so hopefully this year we make some moves. You can't just sit around and think this was a fluke season.
                  Yes. ...and I'll tell you why. Kosier is a FA. He's gone. Barron is a FA. He's gone. Gurode is set to earn $5.5M next season. He's gone. Davis is set to earn $6M. He's gone. They aren't getting that money. Especially Davis. I think there is a chance that Gurode returns, but I'd say that doesn't look likely right now. That's too much money for someone living off reputation who is just a shell of his old self and doesn't make line calls.

We'll probably cut Holland too. Every time the guy needs to be relied on, he bums out of the same game with injury. Way too much injury. Colombo will be brought back. He'll make a measly $1.9M.

A bunch of money will be spent to resign Free. I'd guess something that averages around $4M a year over the life of the contract.

Roy isn't coming back at $5M. People like to say Barber isn't comign back at $4.5M, but I have my doubts. Sensabaugh, Spears, Hatcher, Ball, and Hurd are FAs.

The big question mark is Newman. Set to earn $8M. Not sure what'll happen there. But yes... CB has already been identified as a huge need before his loss.

Fact is, Free is our only big extension that we have to make and we have a lot of ways to free up a lot of money.

Comment

We're gonna beat the Jags... NO FUN :(
                    With no Romo, it's a pick 'em, even $. The defense folded against the Giants, if that continues Dallas can't win, period. They didn't want to tackle huge SOBs like Jacobs or Bradshaw, they may quit vs. a little guy like MJD.

It will be worth watching to see if even a bad J-ville QB can pick on Flag Magnet Jenkins or pick the worthless secondary apart.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                      I have a question for you guys:

What if that DE from Ohio State is on the board? (Forgetting his name, and as you can tell, I haven't been paying much attention to college football yet, its too early for me to be thinking draft just yet)

Do you take the DE from Ohio State, or Prince or Peterson?

You can make an argument that DE is a bigger need than CB (although both are pretty valid needs).

Think about it. Your starting DEs are Igor and Spears. Igor, and Spears. That's as average as they come. Hell, that's below average.
                      I'd take Heyward because I'm a fan of having a strong D-line rotation. One thing missing from the D-line was well is another guy who can create havoc like Ratliff. Ratliff so far isn't having a good season, so maybe they finally move him outside, draft Heyward, and get someone to start and rotate nose with Josh Brent.

I wouldn't mind getting a strong corner like Amukamara or Peterson at all, but I think that D-line is a bigger need because you already have two good corners in there. The bigger problem to me is safety. Get rid of the Scandrick problem with a FA or second rounder and the issue is fixed, and that issue won't be resolved if a corner is moved to safety. It just keeps Scandrick on the field, and it looks like he's not going to be the guy we thought he'd be.
                      "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
                      ~Nigerian Proverb

Da riddum is too much for you.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

Comment

• Cameron Heyward's stock is on decline. He's not looking like the player most thought he would be. I would avoid him with a 10 foot pole.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                          Yes. ...and I'll tell you why. Kosier is a FA. He's gone. Barron is a FA. He's gone. Gurode is set to earn $5.5M next season. He's gone. Davis is set to earn $6M. He's gone. They aren't getting that money. Especially Davis. I think there is a chance that Gurode returns, but I'd say that doesn't look likely right now. That's too much money for someone living off reputation who is just a shell of his old self and doesn't make line calls.

We'll probably cut Holland too. Every time the guy needs to be relied on, he bums out of the same game with injury. Way too much injury. Colombo will be brought back. He'll make a measly $1.9M.

A bunch of money will be spent to resign Free. I'd guess something that averages around $4M a year over the life of the contract.

Roy isn't coming back at $5M. People like to say Barber isn't comign back at $4.5M, but I have my doubts. Sensabaugh, Spears, Hatcher, Ball, and Hurd are FAs.

The big question mark is Newman. Set to earn $8M. Not sure what'll happen there. But yes... CB has already been identified as a huge need before his loss.

Fact is, Free is our only big extension that we have to make and we have a lot of ways to free up a lot of money.
                          I forgot all about Newman's ballooning pay.

Well well...that certainly adds another huge hole. Good god I'm hoping we go 3-13 the rest of the season and pickup Peterson. Peterson/Jenkins combo is going to be deadly. What are the FA prospects at Safety? Attacking Oline or Safety via FA, and then the other in the 2nd round of the draft would make for a very good offseason, and would certainly(hopefully) keep Dallas out of the NFC-E basement as early as next season.

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshBoy! View Post
                            I forgot all about Newman's ballooning pay.

Well well...that certainly adds another huge hole. Good god I'm hoping we go 3-13 the rest of the season and pickup Peterson. Peterson/Jenkins combo is going to be deadly. What are the FA prospects at Safety? Attacking Oline or Safety via FA, and then the other in the 2nd round of the draft would make for a very good offseason, and would certainly(hopefully) keep Dallas out of the NFC-E basement as early as next season.
                            It's not really ballooning as he's getting paid $9M this year. Next year he makes $1M less.

FA Safeties... Quintin Mikael... lol, what a steal that would be to the Eagles. Bernard Pollard probably resigns. Atwoge! Round 2? Not much out there. I like a few in the draft. Barron and Deunta Williams are my 2 favorite.

Comment

• Originally posted by LizardState View Post
                              With no Romo, it's a pick 'em, even $. The defense folded against the Giants, if that continues Dallas can't win, period. They didn't want to tackle huge SOBs like Jacobs or Bradshaw, they may quit vs. a little guy like MJD.

It will be worth watching to see if even a bad J-ville QB can pick on Flag Magnet Jenkins or pick the worthless secondary apart.
                              I thought the 'Boys were favored by 6?
                              #Chop

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

• I thought he was getting something like 5mil this year. Oh...well yea, that changes everything.

Keep him, he's certainly earned it...and he's been the most consistent player on defense besides...Demarcus and Ratliff...to tell you the truth.

*argghh* It's frustrating to not know ANYTHING about the next coach(if there is one), and scheme and all that. I'm wondering if with picking up a Peterson or Prince, we could move Newman to safety?

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information