Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: what if Jerry Jones wants to win, regardless of record, and puts Tony Romo back into the game 5-6 weeks from now?

I assume the Cowboys will probably beat the Jaguars, and will probably win at least 2 games, total, with Kitna. Romo would probably be good for 2-3 wins, so at that point the Cowboys emerge with something like a 5-11 or 6-10 record, and are probably out of the top 5 in the draft.

Comment

• I'd hate to spend that high a pick on a DE. I mean, look at the Chiefs. They have Tyson Jackson and Glenn Dorsey, neither of which has turned out to be an above average player. We have good enough LBs where we can still create a pass rush, but we need playmaking in the secondary, BAD. This has been as bad as i've seen the secondary play, and that's cause i can still remember the days when we had Keith Dixon and Pete Hunter starting for us.

Comment

• Originally posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
        I thought the 'Boys were favored by 6?
        Weren't they favored in every loss this yr except Minnesota?

Comment

• Originally posted by Morton View Post
          Question: what if Jerry Jones wants to win, regardless of record, and puts Tony Romo back into the game 5-6 weeks from now?

I assume the Cowboys will probably beat the Jaguars, and will probably win at least 2 games, total, with Kitna. Romo would probably be good for 2-3 wins, so at that point the Cowboys emerge with something like a 5-11 or 6-10 record, and are probably out of the top 5 in the draft.
          That's their prerogative. We certainly can't blame them for trying to win games. The coaches and players aren't thinking about next years draft pick like we are.

Comment

• Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
            I'd hate to spend that high a pick on a DE. I mean, look at the Chiefs. They have Tyson Jackson and Glenn Dorsey, neither of which has turned out to be an above average player. We have good enough LBs where we can still create a pass rush, but we need playmaking in the secondary, BAD. This has been as bad as i've seen the secondary play, and that's cause i can still remember the days when we had Keith Dixon and Pete Hunter starting for us.
            Yeah, I agree to an extent. Tyson Jackson sucked ass, so I knew that was a dumb move from the start. If there's a guy with Richard Seymour type impact, that would be worth it. Just depends on who BPA is at the time and how our moves in FA affect our needs. Luckily FA comes before the draft.

Comment

• Originally posted by FreshBoy! View Post
              *argghh* It's frustrating to not know ANYTHING about the next coach(if there is one), and scheme and all that. I'm wondering if with picking up a Peterson or Prince, we could move Newman to safety?
              Scott mentioned that Peterson could even play Safety in the NFL. Food for thought. CB needs be addressed elsewhere? I know the CB draft class is better than it is for Safety.

Comment

Question: what if Jerry Jones wants to win, regardless of record, and puts Tony Romo back into the game 5-6 weeks from now?

There's already been many posts about us finishing with a 5-7 win season. Whatever happens happens. If there's a guy Jerry wants, he makes trades for them. ...just like we traded up for Dez.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                  Yeah, I agree to an extent. Tyson Jackson sucked ass, so I knew that was a dumb move from the start. If there's a guy with Richard Seymour type impact, that would be worth it. Just depends on who BPA is at the time and how our moves in FA affect our needs. Luckily FA comes before the draft.
                  Richard Seymours in a 3-4 are once in a decade players. I really don't think there's anyone out there right now that can have that kind of impact for us.

If Patrick Peterson can play safety, that's even better for us. It'll allow us to squeeze some more serviceable years out of Newman, and maybe even move him to safety. Idk, i just know that our secondary blows hard and we need big time help.

As for as the offensive line goes, i doubt we release 4/5 starters. I do agree though that Davis is definitely a goner, Kosier most likely won't get re-signed, but i have a feeling Gurode stays. Pay big money for Mankins if we need to, sign another Kosier-like guy to fill in his hole, draft a couple of guys in the middle rounds to develop, and we should be good.

Hell, draft a 1st/2nd round of Peterson/Curtis Brown would be a-okay in my book!

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                    There's already been many posts about us finishing with a 5-7 win season. Whatever happens happens. If there's a guy Jerry wants, he makes trades for them. ...just like we traded up for Dez.
                    Here's a roster rundown based on NEEDS for the Cowboys heading into the 2011 season, if there even is one:

CB - Scandrick sucks, Newman is getting old and injured. Is Jenkins still good?
                    S - Alan Ball blows, and Sensabaugh is average at best.
                    DE - Marcus Spears and Igor Olshansky are average, and Spears is a free agent
                    ILB - Brooking is getting too old to play and Bradie James is average at best
                    OG - Davis sucks, Gurode sucks, and Costa sucks.
                    OT - Free is the only decent OT on the roster right now. Colombo is aging, and Barron isn't an NFL player

So how is Jerry going to fill all of these holes through draft and free agency, exactly?

Say the Cowboys pick Patrick Peterson with their first round pick in 2011. One of the holes at CB is presumably filled. You are then starting Peterson and Jenkins at CB. Who is going to play safety? We know Ball sucks and needs to be replaced. Are you going to count on a 2nd or 3rd round rookie? Try to convince Newman to take a step down, hurt his pride and play safety? Sign a guy in free agency?

Say you somehow manage to fill that hole at safety. If you filled it with a 2nd round rookie, you basically have no more top picks to spend on the offensive line. What are you going to do about the turnstile-like interior of the line? Doug Free is the ONLY reliable starter heading into the 2011 season. You need, at minimum, a solid guard and a solid right tackle. Is Jerry going to spend millions of dollars on both a guard and a tackle in free agency?

If you take the offensive lineman with the first round pick, which is what the Cowboys should do if they don't want to get their QB killed, what do you then do with the big holes at cornerback and safety?

And what happens with the defensive line which will probably be missing Marcus Spears? More free agency dollars? Count on a rookie? If they pick, say, Nick Fairley with their first round pick, I think the defensive line will be beastly. But then you no longer have the opportunity to select a cornerback, offensive lineman, or safety.

And what about ILB? Brooking is toast. Is Sean Lee going to be capable? He looks injury prone and I haven't really seen him flash anything special on the field. Are you guys satisfied with Sean Lee and Bradie James as the linebackers next year?

As you can see, there is no real "silver bullet" for the Cowboys that will enable them to compete next year. If they pick Patrick Peterson with the first round pick, even free agency won't help them fill all the holes on the offensive line, defensive line, and at safety. If they pick Nick Fairley, the defensive line will again be elite but at the expense of the offensive line and the secondary. If they pick an offensive lineman, they will again be weak on defensive line and in the secondary. You're either going to count on rookies in alot of critical spots or you're simply going to have to make do with guy slike Alan Ball and Phil Costa. There aren't enough free agency dollars or targets to fill the holes alongside the draft.

Comment

• I understand you're trolling, and it's fun. Just understand what you're saying..
                      As you can see, there is no real "silver bullet" for the Cowboys that will enable them to compete next year.
                      The boys are 1-5 right now, but they've been competitive, and injuries have racked up. Skins obviously had/have more holes then any other team in the NFC-E and they're competitive after one year. The Giants Defense was a sieve last year, and they're stout again after a change in philosophies.Things change, a simple coaching/attitude change would obviously make a difference(see. Giants)...They're obviously not as bad as your suggesting, and things change from year to year. I'm pretty sure with exactly the same roster next year, and a last place schedule, and some discipline, we're not 1-5.

Hell...you agree with me...see your post here:
                      Originally posted by Morton View Post
                      Cowher would be great for the Cowboys. He'd be just the right kind of coach to whip them into shape and instill fear into some of those talented but underachieving slackers on the team.

I'd go so far as to say that if Jerry fires Wade and gets Cowher to Valley Ranch before Week 8, they go on to win the NFC East division. If he keeps Wade, they don't make the playoffs.
                      See the part to where you believe the boys can win the division, just by a change in coaches? Yet you're seriously in here saying that the Boys are doomed until 2015.
                      You're being disingenuous and trolling. Stop it.

Most of the losses came from self inflicted damage, they've been in every game. This is the NFL, not college. There's more then enough talent to be competitive, and I'll just leave it at that. There's no need to go through all the holes with you because there's no amount of "proof" we can provide that will change your opinion. Boys are having a down year obviously...I'm sure you love it. Enjoy it, but don't troll.
                      Last edited by FreshBoy!; 10-30-2010, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Here's a roster rundown based on NEEDS for the Cowboys heading into the 2011 season, if there even is one:
                        What is your thrill with coming into this thread lately(not like you were a guy who typically dropped in from time to time like BBD) just to point out how many needs the Cowboys have, how long they will be in the basement of the division, and how their are just so many holes that it's a disaster for the next 20 years? Is it really that amusing to you?

I would try and discuss things rational with you, like the fact that Philly has no CB's what so ever and average safety plan with average offensive line play, or the fact that Washington has no WR's what so ever, JAG's at RB, and a team with more needs then ours, how those teams get a pass but every position that Dallas doesn't have a pro bowler were doomed to hell lol.

I would be interested in your response, but I see your getting off trolling and talking about how bad Dallas is and how many needs they have and they will be in the basement for 17 years straight. We can't even talk about next weeks game too much because you've hijacked the thread pretty much since you started posting in here recently.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                        I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• He's a pure troll, look at his recent posts. He doesn't even believe the boys are that bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
                            What is your thrill with coming into this thread lately(not like you were a guy who typically dropped in from time to time like BBD) just to point out how many needs the Cowboys have, how long they will be in the basement of the division, and how their are just so many holes that it's a disaster for the next 20 years? Is it really that amusing to you?
                            I hate the Cowboys, and have hated the Cowboys my whole life. I revel in watching them self-destruct. I'd like nothing more than to see them as a basement-dweller for the next decade like the Lions or the Bills.

It would just be funny to watch Jerry Jones have to preside over his team as it spirals down the drain.

And now it looks as if this could be a real possibility.

I would try and discuss things rational with you, like the fact that Philly has no CB's what so ever and average safety plan with average offensive line play, or the fact that Washington has no WR's what so ever, JAG's at RB, and a team with more needs then ours, how those teams get a pass but every position that Dallas doesn't have a pro bowler were doomed to hell lol.
                            You're right that both Philly and Washington have roster issues of their own, but Dallas is in the worst shape of all because they've neglected their offensive line for so many years. At least Philly and Washington have made the effort to obtain capable young offensive linemen and develop them into starters. Right now, it looks as if Dallas has nothing decent outside of Doug Free that will last into the 2011 season, and even Free is not entirely a 100% proven veteran.

The game is won in the trenches. It doesn't matter how many flashy wide receivers or cornerbacks you have - if your offensive and defensive lines are not solid, you lose games. All the Dez Bryants and Miles Austins in the world won't keep Dallas out of the basement if their offensive line is being caved in on a regular basis and their line can't open holes for the running backs.

Comment

I hate the Cowboys, and have hated the Cowboys my whole life. I revel in watching them self-destruct. I'd like nothing more than to see them as a basement-dweller for the next decade like the Lions or the Bills.

It would just be funny to watch Jerry Jones have to preside over his team as it spirals down the drain.

And now it looks as if this could be a real possibility.

That's fine, and you can have as much fun talking about non stop in your teams discussion thread, or in the week 8 discussion thread, or make a thread about Dallas in the NFL forum. This is the Dallas Cowboys discussion and fans of the team come here to talk about the team, others come in to add to the discussion or ask questions, but what your doing is considered trolling and you need to find another thread to hi jack with your hatred for the Cowboys.

I have no doubt you hate Dallas that's impossible to not notice, but you don't just go to the team you hate into their team forum and start going on and on and on about how bad they will be forever. Anywhere else is fair game, not in this thread.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                              I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Morton your a fool. This team will be back to contention next year, no matter how much you hate it. Basement dweller?

You know the least football out of anyone I have ever seen on this board.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information