This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Morton View Post
    Here's a roster rundown based on NEEDS for the Cowboys heading into the 2011 season, if there even is one:

CB - Scandrick sucks, Newman is getting old and injured. Is Jenkins still good?
    S - Alan Ball blows, and Sensabaugh is average at best.
    DE - Marcus Spears and Igor Olshansky are average, and Spears is a free agent
    ILB - Brooking is getting too old to play and Bradie James is average at best
    OG - Davis sucks, Gurode sucks, and Costa sucks.
    OT - Free is the only decent OT on the roster right now. Colombo is aging, and Barron isn't an NFL player

So how is Jerry going to fill all of these holes through draft and free agency, exactly?

Say the Cowboys pick Patrick Peterson with their first round pick in 2011. One of the holes at CB is presumably filled. You are then starting Peterson and Jenkins at CB. Who is going to play safety? We know Ball sucks and needs to be replaced. Are you going to count on a 2nd or 3rd round rookie? Try to convince Newman to take a step down, hurt his pride and play safety? Sign a guy in free agency?

Say you somehow manage to fill that hole at safety. If you filled it with a 2nd round rookie, you basically have no more top picks to spend on the offensive line. What are you going to do about the turnstile-like interior of the line? Doug Free is the ONLY reliable starter heading into the 2011 season. You need, at minimum, a solid guard and a solid right tackle. Is Jerry going to spend millions of dollars on both a guard and a tackle in free agency?

If you take the offensive lineman with the first round pick, which is what the Cowboys should do if they don't want to get their QB killed, what do you then do with the big holes at cornerback and safety?

And what happens with the defensive line which will probably be missing Marcus Spears? More free agency dollars? Count on a rookie? If they pick, say, Nick Fairley with their first round pick, I think the defensive line will be beastly. But then you no longer have the opportunity to select a cornerback, offensive lineman, or safety.

And what about ILB? Brooking is toast. Is Sean Lee going to be capable? He looks injury prone and I haven't really seen him flash anything special on the field. Are you guys satisfied with Sean Lee and Bradie James as the linebackers next year?

As you can see, there is no real "silver bullet" for the Cowboys that will enable them to compete next year. If they pick Patrick Peterson with the first round pick, even free agency won't help them fill all the holes on the offensive line, defensive line, and at safety. If they pick Nick Fairley, the defensive line will again be elite but at the expense of the offensive line and the secondary. If they pick an offensive lineman, they will again be weak on defensive line and in the secondary. You're either going to count on rookies in alot of critical spots or you're simply going to have to make do with guy slike Alan Ball and Phil Costa. There aren't enough free agency dollars or targets to fill the holes alongside the draft.
    Answer me this. How many teams start their seasons having addressed every single need in the offseason?

With so many needs, we simply have to take BPA that fills one of them. We can't afford to bypass superior talent because of what is perceived as a bigger hole. RT might be a need, but you don't draft a RT that high in the draft! Neither do you take an OG or C! So your logic is messed up royally.

Besides... you think our team will finish with 6-7 wins WITH all those holes. We fix a few and we'll easily get to 9-10. Especially when the biggest issue is with the coaching staff.

Comment

• I always thought the Cowboys overall talent level was a bit overstated, but they have a ton of talent for a team that will probably be adding premium picks.

You can't address every weakness, and no team ever has every hole filled, but when you can add top tier talent to a talented squad, you are doing well.
      Originally posted by SNIPER26
      fwiw, i amz deunks ofs myt ass. ilo vez drinmoinz befotre i post. wha t a hreat ideas.z.

Comment

• Yo saints-tigers, Halo 3 is the sex.

Comment

• What are everyone's thoughts on getting a true slot type guy in the middle rounds with Dez and Miles on the outside. thoughts?

Comment

• Originally posted by CDCB14 View Post
            What are everyone's thoughts on getting a true slot type guy in the middle rounds with Dez and Miles on the outside. thoughts?
            Won't make any difference with Jason Garrett as the offensive coordinator. He does not know what to do with our offense now!

Comment

• Originally posted by CDCB14 View Post
              What are everyone's thoughts on getting a true slot type guy in the middle rounds with Dez and Miles on the outside. thoughts?
              I don't see why Hurd can't be that guy. No need to go looking for other wideouts. All that the team needs is in the receiving corps right now. If they get rid of Roy for whatever reason, then it wouldn't be a bad thing to finally give Hurd his chance.
              "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
              ~Nigerian Proverb

Da riddum is too much for you.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

Comment

• Completely true, hurd slipped my mind. or ogletree.

Comment

• I have no interest in this game at all...

Lots of Felix, lots of Dez, and more PT for Hurd is all I look forward to. Hopefully we'll see all of that.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
                  http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
                  KO KNOWS

Comment

• Dont tell me the blocking wasnt **** on Felix's first two carries. Wow. Costa and Colombo both got bitched. 2 carries -5 yards. Awesome. I cant take much more of this crap. How a line that big, sucks this bad at run blocking is baffling.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• TD Jacksonville!!!!!!!! Wooo HOOooooo!

Comment

• Damn I wish we drafted Nate Allen.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

• I wish we'd take AOA of kickoffs. He sucks a fat one.

Comment

• Dez Bryant... that is all.

Comment

• YES! Kitna Intercepted!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gribble View Post
                                Dez Bryant... that is all.
                                I just want Kitna to throw to him all day.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information