Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's funny how in the past couple of years the college WR's have done so much more grasping the concepts and schemes.

Jimmy Johnson talked with someone at BTB and noted that the "3 year development" time is now a thing of the past. College ranks have evolved and WRs no longer have a big of a learning curve as the did 5 or so years ago. Something interesting to note. Especially when we are projecting WRs to evolve like WRs in the past in their development. Those days are gone

Comment

• Originally posted by romo4prez415 View Post
      Agreed. Bryant was special. Completely uncoachable. I remember Galloway couldnt stand the guy because he tried to give him advice and Bryant just blew it off. And then the obvious towel incident. I also think we need to slow down with Dez as well. He's doing well on the field but being caught sleeping in meetings is an issue. Lets just hope the organization gives him the tough love when necessary and allows this talent to blossom into what we think he can be which is a top 5 WR. I will say this, I wouldnt want another WR coach coaching Bryant up.
      I'm not worried about Dez and here's why.

Yes, I do think there's some maturity issues, similar to Tellus. However, this guy is a competitor like this franchise has not seen since Irvin. You may have to put up with some maturity issues from time to time, but this kid is going to be a beast when it's time to put the pads on (and that goes for practice, too).
      In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
        I'm not worried about Dez and here's why.

Yes, I do think there's some maturity issues, similar to Tellus. However, this guy is a competitor like this franchise has not seen since Irvin. You may have to put up with some maturity issues from time to time, but this kid is going to be a beast when it's time to put the pads on (and that goes for practice, too).
        I agree to an extent. I think he's a rare competitor and loves the game but to be the best player you can be you have to got go full throttle all week that means in practice but this also means in the film room. I heard JG has installed fines for players sleeping in the meeting so it looks like discpline is starting to take place. I just hope jerry doesnt go undermining our coaches and turning Dez into a softy like the majority of this bunch.

Comment

• No. I think he will be fine. The good part is maturity is something that can be fixed. Laziness isn't.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• So let me ask you guys this. Let's assume Garrett finishes strong and does everything in your opinion, whatever that may be, to earn his shot at the job going forward.

Given what is happening in Tenn, it's not that crazy to think that Fisher is available at the end of the season.

What do you do?

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

So let me ask you guys this. Let's assume Garrett finishes strong and does everything in your opinion, whatever that may be, to earn his shot at the job going forward.

Given what is happening in Tenn, it's not that crazy to think that Fisher is available at the end of the season.

What do you do?
              I think that no matter how the season ends, Garrett is getting the job. I think he deserves a shot. Fisher is a fantastic coach, but Garrett has a good command on the team. I just want a new OC. As for a new DC... I don't know enough about Pasq.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                I think that no matter how the season ends, Garrett is getting the job. I think he deserves a shot. Fisher is a fantastic coach, but Garrett has a good command on the team. I just want a new OC. As for a new DC... I don't know enough about Pasq.
                So no matter what happens the next several weeks, you think he's earned it?

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• Did you guys listen to the lunch break today?

Fisher has a career .500 record, coached 17 seasons, has been to the playoffs 6 times, with a 5-6 record and no superbowl wins. He went the to superbowl once, so that was 3 wins right there. So that is 2-5 besides that.

Fisher isn't special..

Garrett all day.

Comment

So no matter what happens the next several weeks, you think he's earned it?
                    That's just my personal feelings, and I don't expect everyone to agree with it. The wins and losses this season are kind of irrelevant at this point. For me it's about what kind of culture is he going to set up here? ...and is it a winning culture?

There is a big difference between being in charge and being 2nd or 3rd in charge in practically any facet of life. The leader at the top calls all the shots and everyone there is to support him. Anything else is chaos. Reason I say that is because Garrett was there to support Wade and Wade's goals/philosophies, but it didn't mean that those ideas were shared. Obviously, in this case they were very different. The rules, the discipline, the culture, and the confidence of the team since Garrett has taken over has changed dramatically. Love the "Wednesday pads"... "the notebooks in meetings"... the "dress code"... the "respect for the national anthem" ... all these new changes that he has installed. Those are just a few of them, but I see a confident HC out there. Both on the field and at the podium. He's always had a great relationship with players, but at the same time, he's a guy that is trying to command respect. I think it's worth it to keep him and see where it takes us. I've always thought he'd end up being a good HC in the league... I just didn't want to have to put up with the growing pains of his development process. It's clear he's ready now.

Why would I put him on the street for the longest tenured HC with one team in Fisher... who has never won a SB? If Fish hasn't been able to do it with one team by now, will he ever? He's the Jerry Sloan of NFL coaches. Mad respect for the guy, HOF worthy even...but you're deceiving yourself if you think he's gonna win a Championship.

Comment

• Go to my above post.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                        That's just my personal feelings, and I don't expect everyone to agree with it. The wins and losses this season are kind of irrelevant at this point. For me it's about what kind of culture is he going to set up here? ...and is it a winning culture?

There is a big difference between being in charge and being 2nd or 3rd in charge in practically any facet of life. The leader at the top calls all the shots and everyone there is to support him. Anything else is chaos. Reason I say that is because Garrett was there to support Wade and Wade's goals/philosophies, but it didn't mean that those ideas were shared. Obviously, in this case they were very different. The rules, the discipline, the culture, and the confidence of the team since Garrett has taken over has changed dramatically. Love the "Wednesday pads"... "the notebooks in meetings"... the "dress code"... the "respect for the national anthem" ... all these new changes that he has installed. Those are just a few of them, but I see a confident HC out there. Both on the field and at the podium. He's always had a great relationship with players, but at the same time, he's a guy that is trying to command respect. I think it's worth it to keep him and see where it takes us. I've always thought he'd end up being a good HC in the league... I just didn't want to have to put up with the growing pains of his development process. It's clear he's ready now.

Why would I put him on the street for the longest tenured HC with one team in Fisher... who has never won a SB? If Fish hasn't been able to do it with one team by now, will he ever? He's the Jerry Sloan of NFL coaches. Mad respect for the guy, HOF worthy even...but you're deceiving yourself if you think he's gonna win a Championship.
                        Don't get me wrong. I think you know that I'm a Garrett fan.

I'm just trying to get an idea of what everyone's threshold is for him earning the job in light of a very well respected coach being available.

I agree that I have really liked what I've seen and if someone wants to go back and look at my posts, I've said more than once that I think Garrett is one of these guys that might make a better HC than OC. He just has great leadership skills and it's really hard to show those when you are working for a guy like Wade. I'm sure Jason was really sensitive as to try and not 'outshine' Wade because I'm sure he genuinely likes Wade.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• I don't see how Fisher not winning a Super Bowl should be a knock. Most coaches don't even sniff a Super Bowl, so by that logic most guys should get fired for not being able to get a championship. That sounds like the same **** that people said about Tony Dungy and Bill Cowher before they won their championships. People talked about how they couldn't win the big game because they got there and failed. It took Cowher 14 years to get his first ring after being in championship games a few times. People said that he would never win the big one. Dungy went to championship games with both Tampa and Indy, and it took him 11 years to win his title. People said that he could never win the big one and he did.

Fisher is pretty much in the same spot that they were. He went to the Super Bowl and got close, and he's been to multiple AFC title games. With a team like Dallas he could win a title since there is already young talent here to build on. I don't see too many other better alternatives either. What exactly has Garrett done to be a better candidate? He's stunk it up on the offensive side of the ball for his tenure here, and he's only riding a two game winning streak with a team that shouldn't have even been 1-7 in the first place. If he finishes the season strong he makes a good case to keep the job, but Fisher would still be a better candidate since he has more experience and he was not a high ranking coach on the culture that got the team to 1-7 in the first place.

Let's not drink the Garrett Kool Aid yet. Put the anointing oil away until the season is over.
                          "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
                          ~Nigerian Proverb

Da riddum is too much for you.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

Comment

Don't get me wrong. I think you know that I'm a Garrett fan.

I'm just trying to get an idea of what everyone's threshold is for him earning the job in light of a very well respected coach being available.

I agree that I have really liked what I've seen and if someone wants to go back and look at my posts, I've said more than once that I think Garrett is one of these guys that might make a better HC than OC. He just has great leadership skills and it's really hard to show those when you are working for a guy like Wade. I'm sure Jason was really sensitive as to try and not 'outshine' Wade because I'm sure he genuinely likes Wade.
                            Yes you have definitely been in Garrett's corner. I think you even liked him as an OC. Now THAT'S real support. lol.

Can't say that I've ever disagreed with the thought that he'd make a good HC one day. But I don't like him as an OC and I don't like him in that role even today. He's a classic panic passer who doesn't trust running the ball.

Comment

• Originally posted by E-Man View Post
                              I don't see how Fisher not winning a Super Bowl should be a knock. Most coaches don't even sniff a Super Bowl, so by that logic most guys should get fired for not being able to get a championship. That sounds like the same **** that people said about Tony Dungy and Bill Cowher before they won their championships. People talked about how they couldn't win the big game because they got there and failed. It took Cowher 14 years to get his first ring after being in championship games a few times. People said that he would never win the big one. Dungy went to championship games with both Tampa and Indy, and it took him 11 years to win his title. People said that he could never win the big one and he did.

Fisher is pretty much in the same spot that they were. He went to the Super Bowl and got close, and he's been to multiple AFC title games. With a team like Dallas he could win a title since there is already young talent here to build on. I don't see too many other better alternatives either. What exactly has Garrett done to be a better candidate? He's stunk it up on the offensive side of the ball for his tenure here, and he's only riding a two game winning streak with a team that shouldn't have even been 1-7 in the first place. If he finishes the season strong he makes a good case to keep the job, but Fisher would still be a better candidate since he has more experience and he was not a high ranking coach on the culture that got the team to 1-7 in the first place.

Let's not drink the Garrett Kool Aid yet. Put the anointing oil away until the season is over.
                              I don't think anyone would bash a Fisher hiring, that's for sure. I would throw a welcome party his way with welcomed arms... But at this point, there's really no reason to continue with Garrett to see where he can take us. There's really A LOT to like about his leadership philosophies.

But hell... if Fisher brings Norm Chow with him....

~~GLOOOOOORY GLORY HALELUUUUUUUJAH!!!! ~~ :D

Comment

• I really don't see the point in going with a Rehash coach.
                                Fisher is the only one I'd even welcome with open arms....and Gruden a few steps below him. I want a bright young coach that Jerry is willing to hand over the keys to and say...Go with it...Give him 5 years at least, with full support, and see what he can do. Garrett is that...I'm tired of the 3-5 and done stop gaps here. Continuity is one of the most necessary things for successful franchises.

Again, I will repeat...Coaching is about experience as it is anything else...Garrett is going to be a good HC in the league, I can see and believe that. It's just a matter of time, it sucks that the "guinea pig" team is probably going to be the Dallas Cowboys...but i'd rather see Jerry take that chance than not.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information