This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
    One other thing Lombardi said that was interesting was that if you look back at the tape, Rat actually destroyed the Philly center.

The problem was that we just got gashed because the running lanes were so big.
    Yeah, I really didn't think Ratliff had a bad game, so when I heard that, I tried not to make a fuss about it. His effort was tremendous. Fought like a warrior. He's a beast in pursuit of getting to the QB. It just that he still plays the role of the 1 gap penetrator, and against the run, I still have question marks on how well he does his role, and I question the fact that since he doesn't command a double team consistently, how much better this defense would operate having a true NT.

Comment

• Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
      One other thing Lombardi said that was interesting was that if you look back at the tape, Rat actually destroyed the Philly center.

The problem was that we just got gashed because the running lanes were so big.
      The d-line was getting some good penetration, but the key to stopping the urn like they have is getting the backers to fill in those holes. Also there was no one keeping outside contain so that McCoy wouldn't bounce outside. It was driving me insane. McCoy had nothing but field whenever he wanted to cut back. If someone was there just to slow him down a bit there would have been more stops in the backfield and at the line of scrimmage.

I think all the backers had a bad game, even Ware. Yeah he had 4 sacks, but he over pursued too often. He settled down a bit, but that didn't happen with Brooking and Bradie. Specner also disappointed me because he's usually outstanding against the run. He usually knows how to pursue things well on the outside, but he took too many hard angles to the inside. Brooking and Bradie just stared at McCoy when he ran through the hole. It was just ugly.
      "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
      ~Nigerian Proverb

Da riddum is too much for you.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0

Comment

• Oh yeah, side note. This Sunday Larry Allen, Charles Haley, and Drew Pearson are getting inducted into the Ring of Honor. Let's get some talk going about those guys.

I can't say much about Drew since I was born in '85 and never saw him play. I hear he was elite during his day though.

Haley was really good here. I disagree a bit on him being inducted because he was only here for five years, but it's hard to discount how much he helped out the defense. The defense of the 90's Cowboys doesn't get talked about much, but they were one of the elite defenses back then. I don't care how good Troy, Emmitt, and Michael were, if they didn't have a great D they couldn't win many games. Hopefully Jerry puts more defenders in the Ring. Darren Woodson instantly comes to mind.

As for Larry Allen he's my all time favorite player, and to me he is hands down the best lineman I have ever seen. He's been the beast at 4 different positions. He was the best guard at both spots, and when he played tackle he shut down high level players like it was nothing. It really says something when you've got Erik Williams and Nate Newton on your team and people consider you the best. I hope he goes in the Hall next year. He definitely deserves it. He was the perfect player. /idolatry
        "If you have one finger pointing at somebody, you have three pointing towards yourself."
        ~Nigerian Proverb

Comment

• Mike Jenkins Injury: Dallas Cowboys' Cornerback To Miss 3-4 Weeks, According To Report

http://dallas.sbnation.com/dallas-co...oys-cornerback

More news coming out of Dallas, as starting inside linebacker Sean Lee will attempt to play versus Seattle on Sunday after dislocating his wrist while attempting to tackle Philadelphia quarterback Michael Vick in the first quarter. Lee is the Cowboys' leading tackler, and it remains to be seen if Bradie James and Keith Brooking can step in and perform to the high level that Lee had so far this season.

Comment

• Originally posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
            Mike Jenkins Injury: Dallas Cowboys' Cornerback To Miss 3-4 Weeks, According To Report

http://dallas.sbnation.com/dallas-co...oys-cornerback
            That is not good news at all, considering Jenkins has not only been the most consistant cover man, but the most physical. It couldn't be worse timing considering over the next four weeks they will be facing big WR's such as David Nelson 6'5 215, Sidney Rice 6'4 202, and Brandon Marshall 6'4 230.

Compound that with the fact Scandrick will be manning the outside, leaving Alan Ball and Frank Walker defending dangerous slot recievers like Santana Moss, Davone Bess, and Brad Smith.

Abe Elam and Sensy are going to be very important to the success against the pass over this stretch. Also, I predict a heavy dose of Barry Church lined up as a LB is passing situations.

Comment

• A Message to Tony Romo

Comment

• Just a random thought at 4:30 am on the east coast, anyone in favor of signing LT in the offseason to add a much needed vet presence? I think it would make perfect sense to add a firery leader and a consummate professional to this young offense.

For some strange reason I was thinking of the 2003 team and how Percells brought in Richie Anderson for that purpose. IMO LT still has some gas left in the tank and can be a dangerous third down back if utilized properly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Witten4HOF View Post
                  Just a random thought at 4:30 am on the east coast, anyone in favor of signing LT in the offseason to add a much needed vet presence? I think it would make perfect sense to add a firery leader and a consummate professional to this young offense.

For some strange reason I was thinking of the 2003 team and how Percells brought in Richie Anderson for that purpose. IMO LT still has some gas left in the tank and can be a dangerous third down back if utilized properly.
                  I don't know, not sure I'm really in favor of this. I'd rather turn Felix into the 3rd down back.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                    A Message to Tony Romo

This is great. I've never really liked SY after football and some of the dumb things he's said, but this speech really kind of hits home.

Comment

• Nice one. But I will always hate Steve Young. It Should Have Been a 4 PEAT!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Witten4HOF View Post
                        Just a random thought at 4:30 am on the east coast, anyone in favor of signing LT in the offseason to add a much needed vet presence? I think it would make perfect sense to add a firery leader and a consummate professional to this young offense.

I totally get where you're going, but I don't think LT is the answer. I never thought much of him as a leader in San Diego. Plus, we have consummate professionals. But I do get needing some leadership improvements. Anderson was brought in because Parcells trusted him and used him to help install his system/philosophy here in Dallas. We saw Anderson, Dan Campbell, Keyshawn, Terry Glenn, Bledsoe, Testaverde, Ferg, Aaron Glenn... all came here because they were Parcells' boys.

Rob did some this past offseason with Kenyon Coleman and Abram Elam which really have helped to give us some stabilazation. ...and we ALMOST got Nnamdi. I'm sure more will come next offseason. The names that resonnate in my mind now who I think would be good fits for us in the offseason are:

ILB D'Qwell Jackson - Played under Rob in CLE and developed into one of the leagues better tacklers...consistently putting up high numbers. With Brooking/James out the door, having a vet like him who knows the system is exactly what you were getting at with Parcells and Richie Anderson, Dan Campbell and Ferguson.

NT Sione Pouha - We've been clamoring for a NT around here lately... Pouha didn't play for Rob, but he plays for Rex! He would fit like a glove here. He'd know the system from the start and as an established vet, be ready to go right away. He's an UFA, so if we make a push for him, I think NY could let him go.

S Brodney Pool/Jim Leonhard - Speaking of Jets players, these are 2 vets who might get a look, but I think Sensy will get the first shot to get extended. Elam is a lock to come back.

CB Tyvon Branch - Played for Rob 1 year in Oakland. Could give us much needed quality depth at that position and a cheaper substitute than Newman. Branch will want a starting job, but Rob always talks about having 3 starting corners.

DT Cory Redding - Played for brother Rex in Baltimore and is a Texas native. Still capable of providing depth and could come relatively cheap.

All of these guys could come in, hit the ground running, provide veteran leadership and help Rob continue to install and dig deeper into the defensive playbook as well as help us at key areas of need.

Comment

• Pretty sure we had a chance to bring in Brian Waters this off-season. Plenty chances. Not sure how he's fared this year but I love that type of presence with a veteran offensive lineman. We have needed to draft that type of player for a long time though and we never do.

edit: whoops. Just realized you meant LDT not a Left Tackle haha...No thanks. He had some salty things to say about SD even though his play dropped off considerably, and all he's good for is catching the ball out of the backfield and honestly Felix is more explosive in that regards for just that one role.

Sucks to hear about Sean Lee, like really sucks. He is not only a pro bowl player but a difference maker and ALWAYS making a tackle, let alone covering in zone. These were one of the things though we said after drafting him, injury concerns, will he hold up. Some will say it's just a freak injury but this was a big knock on him coming out of the draft.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                          I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit View Post
                            A Message to Tony Romo

Be nice if he did it in a manly fashion instead of his "oh gosh" BS attitude.

Comment

• I don't get why they never moved AOA back to corner and try him there. If he was looking like a bust at safety then move him to corner where he played most anyway. He was a project that was supposed to need some time, so they should give him some at his more natural spot.
                              ~Nigerian Proverb

Comment

• Originally posted by M.O.T.H.
                                We promoted AOA from PS...gonna return some punts. It would have been Harris, but he's banged up.
                                I'm curious to see how AOA will do. Earlier this year I always thought Harris was on the verge of a big return.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information