This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DMWSackMachine
    Well, now that my brain is about to explode from reading 15 straight pages of (nearly) unadulterated panic and mob-mentality lynching, I think I'll chime in.

I find it sooooooo funny how everything is doom, gloom and dire right now, when - had we not had the Witten 1st down overturned and succeeded in kicking the field goal - we would be looking at a second round matchup with Chicago and everyone would likely be talking about how eager we are to chew up and spit out Rex, and how we have a great shot at winning yadda yadda yadda.

Very funny indeed.

My impression on the season is simply this: it wasn't going to happen.

For some reason or another, this season was simply not going to work out, no matter what happened, no matter how hard we tried, or how well we played. Sometimes in life things just don't work out, and there is not any real reason. Right now we are all trying to crucify members of a defense that was #4 overall as recently as a month ago. One that consistently got us into position to win games. Bradie James is suddenly such a horrible player when he was once the linchpin of a great run D at the end of November. DeMarcus Ware is too much of a SOLB to be our designated pass rusher and doesn't have enough of a repertoire. Anthony Henry should be moved to FS. Blah blah blah blah blah.

I have been just as pained and disturbed by the complete collapse of this team in the last month, but the game against Seattle was not a continuation of what we saw in the last 4 games of the season. The team we saw played with grit and intensity. They played (for the most part) intelligently and passionately. The team I saw on Saturday was the same team I watched from September to November, not the mistake-prone bunch that gave up 30 ppg to the likes of NO, Atl, Philly and Detroit.

Yes, Roy Williams struggled again in coverage. Yes, at times we were not able to get to the quarterback......but that is what happens when you play a good football team that is executing and playing with intensity.

If you want to know why we lost, look no further than Tony Romo. He was errant for much of the day, with passes sailing high, wide, low and behind - in other words, every which way. He was not able to exploit the weaknesses in the secondary. He was even a little tentative in pushing the ball downfield on the few opportunities the defense gave him. He was the biggest - stress, biggest, not only - problem for us in that game.

The facts are that the defense allowed 19 points on the road in a venue that is considered by many to be the best home field advantage in the league at the present time, in the playoffs, against a team that may have struggled this season with injuries, but was largely healthy and had a Pro Bowl caliber QB that was absolutely on fire in the second half of the game (the time when Seattle generate most of its yards and points). Not too bad.

Our offense, meanwhile, generated 13 points, 6 of which came off of turnovers created by the defense . In fact, the only time when Romo and the offense where able to move the ball effectively was 1) at the end of the half and 2) at the end of the game. Somehow, the sense of urgency created by the do-or-die situation was enough to settle Romo down, along with Julius Jones actually getting a chance to carry the ball late for a change.

Clearly, we played plenty well enough defensively to win this game. The offense simply cratered. People want to blame TO for this, but it ultimately falls on the shoulders of the QB. The only thing you can blame TO for was the critical drop on 3rd and 2 that stalled a potential TD drive. For the rest, it was a team effort led by Tony Romo. He was the biggest culprit, followed closely by Terry Glenn (another critical drop that stalled a drive...only you never hear about it, funny isn't it?) who hardly showed up all day against that same horrible secondary - even when TO was recieving most of the double and bracket coverage, along with giving up the biggest play of the game on his fumble. Other culprits where Kosier (was constantly being beaten up the middle) and Colombo (at least one and possibly 2 holding penalties, can't remember precisely, along with allowing 2 sacks - though one wasn't his fault) and the blocking crew as a collective unit for not achieving much push all throught the 1st half and particularly on the short yardage plays.

There is plenty to go around, as you see. The defense actually played far, far, far above my personal expectations. I thought we would see more of the same crazy ass breakdowns that plagued us throughout December, and instead we played fairly well. Its a shame that it had to end with our offense - which had carried the team for much of the season - as the culprit. However, given the nature of the continual breakdowns of every shape and size during the season, it's fitting that it ended the way it did. I, for one, was actually unable to control my amusement. I'm still laughing.
    All good points. Tony did play horribly. Still, better to have him going into next year with a collapse then Drew. There is hope and a young talented team ... notwithstanding Bradie and Roy.

Comment

• Some interesting quotes.

Injury Updates
      Terrell Owens said he plans to have a second opinion from a doctor in South Florida sometime this week on his injured finger. He is expected to have surgery on the finger.

Linebacker Greg Ellis, who missed the final eight games after he suffered a torn Achilles' tendon, said his cast was removed shortly after Christmas. His recovery is proceeding as expected. Whether he will return to the field in time for minicamp is uncertain. But he did admit that watching his teammates struggle defensively for the better part of a month was tough. "You just feel like you should do something to help the team out and to avoid guys feeling the way they feel right now," Ellis said.
      Davis a Joke
      Safety Keith Davis, who lost his starting spot to rookie Pat Watkins, said he wants to remain a Cowboy even if it's only as a special-teams player. He said he wants the team to be up front about his role.

"When I did play, we were 5-2. We were 4-5 when I didn't. Do the math," he said. "Not to say that I was the main reason for that, but I'm looking at numbers. Men lie. Women lie. Numbers don't. Jay-Z said it best."
      Jones playing off Zimmer
      Jones supports Zimmer

Defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer came under fire in recent weeks for the performance of the Cowboys' defense. His seven-figure contract is up, but Jerry Jones supports the longtime Cowboys assistant, who for the past two seasons has coached a 3-4 scheme that was new to him.

"[He's] done everything that he could do to get us principally in the 3-4," Jones said. "You have to weigh all of that. You don't weigh three negative ballgames when you look at Mike Zimmer."

When asked if he wants Zimmer back, Jones was noncommittal.
      Slick Football
      They didn't want to blame the ball, or the Seahawks, but the Cowboys were not pleased with the football that was used for the attempt at a potential game-winning field goal Saturday night in Seattle.

Cowboys owner-general manager Jerry Jones contends -- and he wasn't the only one -- that the ball quarterback Tony Romo lost control of on the hold for a 19-yard field goal was brand new and wasn't worked in properly.

"That's the responsibility of the home team. They can prepare those balls and they still have to pass muster with the officials," Jones said after Seattle's 21-20 wild-card playoff victory. "But that home team can really knock the slickness off the ball -- that should be done. I've been talking about these balls for years and years. The more we can hold onto the football, the better the game you have. It's almost like placing a factor in the game to create a little ambiguity."

Romo agreed that the ball was slick.

"Obviously the reason I dropped it...it was a slick ball," Romo said. "It doesn't matter, though; you still have to catch it."

Comment

• Originally posted by thule
        Glad to see you back around dmw...I'm curious how your see our offseason/draft turning out.

unfortuntely cowboysforever isn't texmex...but the similarities are striking...talking about how successful the are in their life...and how the are the best thing since sliced bread.
        Well, it obviously all starts with whether or not Bill Parcells comes back. I, personally, do not see him walking away from a team that he has spent 4 years of his blood and tears building up, while not yet actually accomplishing much. I just don't. Had he won the SB this year, maybe - and that's a big maybe - but as is there is no way that he is walking away.

I don't believe all the media fervor about it being a him-or-me situation between TO and BP, that's all just a sack of crap.

That said, I think the first thing is that Bill is going to need to watch all the tape on every single player on our team. For us fans, who don't have the benefit of the "All-22" angle and can't watch game tapes, we are left at the mercy of media types and the KC Joyners of the world to get an idea on how each individual performs. Usually, word-of-mouth reports start to circulate on some of the finer aspects of a player's game. Those things will start to play out.

BBD made a very good point in his post, one that he and I had gone over about a month or so ago, and that was the DEs converting from run to pass on early downs. They aren't doing it well enough, and as a result we aren't getting many LBs with a free run at the QB. I'm glad that he was able to see with his own eyes what I was talking about, but it is really nothing new. They have struggled for the whole season that way.

The reason I bring this up is because the first thing you start with in evaluating this team's play is the pass rush. Having Greg back healthy will be a big boost, as long has he isn't permanently ruined by the achilles injury. But we need more than that to get this thing fixed. To be honest, I can see BP going out and finding a veteran DE that has experience playing in the 3-4 to tutor the young guys and possibly as recourse during the season if they continue to struggle in this area. The problems start here.

That said, this draft class seems to be shaping up as an excellent one for pass rushers - especially the tweener variety. As of now, there is Adams, Moses, Spencer and Woodley all projected in the 1st round that are coming out. That may actually increase if there are any underclassmen that declare at the position. If there is a good value available with one of those guys, I could see us taking one of them.

Not only that, but there is another group of DEs that have the size to potentially play the position in the 3-4, while still having the athleticism to move and rush the passer effectively. Carriker and Crowder fit that mold, along with maybe that guy from Hawaii whose name escapes me right now.

So there are some options to improve the pass rush. Jerry Jones was asked in an interview not too long ago "what is the biggest concern on the team right now", and he responded without missing a beat "the pass rush". I think that will be looked at first and foremost, even though most of the "experts" will say that is it not a need.

Also, and this is just my two cents on the matter, I think that we aren't doing a good enough job from a scheme standpoint in disguising and delaying our blitz packages. Most often, when we bring the heavy heat, the offense knows what is coming before it gets there. That is something that should be worked on by the FO and coaching staff. It just doesn't seem like we are ever surprising people with what we do.

That, in conjunction with a year of work in the weight room for guys like Carpenter, Ratliff, Ware, Watkins and Hatcher - and some big-time technique work from DeMarcus - could likely turn this unit into a big-time pressure machine. The horses are there, they just need to be utilized.

So, that is my first, biggest impression on what our "off-season needs" are. There is much to add to that, but we have 4 months...what's the hurry?
        Originally posted by 21ST
        He was protecting his self
        Originally posted by tjsunstein
        From what? His leg?
        Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
        That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
        "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• Originally posted by Number 10
          Originally posted by DSlay4
          Look at the Patriots and the Chargers, there stuck with no-name safeties, but they can generate pressure so it doesnt matter who they got in coverage.
          They are no names...but they can cover 10 times better than Roy.
          entirely wrong. the chargers secondary was one of the worst, they got burned all the time. then merriman and castillo got drafted and the problem went away. hmmmm....

i absolutely hate cowboys fans that dog roy williams, because he has been the only playmaker for the cowboys for a long time. All cowboys fans should love this guy. he's the guy that jacked up brandon jacobs last year causing a fumble in the end zone. he's the guy that intercepted mcnabb and put him out of his misery. he's the guy that makes the key interceptions, the guy that makes the key fumbles, that shoots in and stops people in their tracks. this year not so much against the good teams. but he had that int against wash, tampa, carolina, indy that were all huge plays.

newman had a chance in the endzone against seattle, and he didn't make it. aaron glenn got a chance, nothing, bobby carpenter, nothing. who made the int? roy williams, off of the play by newman of course, but he seems to be the guy that's always in the right place. he almost stopped shaun alexander on 4th down too.

i think anyone that dogs him is reading too much into the hatred by other team fans that hate cowboys players. that think they're all overrated, etc. that cheer anytime he makes a bad play. when any other safety gives up the td you never hear anything. the only time is when it's Roy Wiliams.

Roy is a playmaker, the cowboys need more like him not less. now they got ware and maybe bobby carpenter.

Comment

• everyone needs to remember how we felt about Roy before ellis went down, he was getting pick's and wasn't a huge liability. It's clear to me that although he may not be good in coverage, him getting burned is a result of zero pressure. I live in san diego and i watch all the charger games and its amazing to watch how little time qb's get against the chargers compared to how much time they get against us. Roy can play, he just cant be asked to cover on perfect passes that are having no pressure applied to them.

Comment

• Jarvis Moss just got more expensive. (good pick Thule)

Troy Smith just got alot cheaper.

Urban Meyer. Wow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Burns336
                everyone needs to remember how we felt about Roy before ellis went down, he was getting pick's and wasn't a huge liability. It's clear to me that although he may not be good in coverage, him getting burned is a result of zero pressure. I live in san diego and i watch all the charger games and its amazing to watch how little time qb's get against the chargers compared to how much time they get against us. Roy can play, he just cant be asked to cover on perfect passes that are having no pressure applied to them.
                Burns, Roy was having a bad season before Eliis went down. Giants and Philly early in the season come to mind.

SD, in terms of rush, is amazing and not a fair comparison. They have 4 excellent pass rushers. Only Baltimore compares.

Roy needs something new in his professional life. It is a tough situation for all involved but the Cowboys can't go another season with that low a level of play at the SS position.

As a safety ya gotta be able to cover in some scheme. Roy can't cover in about any. Particularly with teams spreading the field more today then ever.

Comment

• Mike Zimmer, in a 4-3 scheme, what's your opinion? He's being talked to by Petrino in Atlanta.

Comment

• Romo had a bad game, but it was his first playoff game in his career.. He had a very good season for us (the best from a QB since Aikman).. Irony is that he lost the game not as our QB but as our holder..
                    He drive the team in poisition to win the game after playing poorly for the most part of the game..
                    I trust Romo, I think he will be a special player for us..

And I'm still not confident in Watkins. I'm asking why he comes out in the nickel situation and Nate Jones comes in? I still want a big time FS.

And if the Panthers cut Jenkins can you see him playin NT? I've heard the Panthers will have a lot of cap issues...

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

• Originally posted by Shiver
                      Mike Zimmer, in a 4-3 scheme, what's your opinion? He's being talked to by Petrino in Atlanta.
                      He is a master in the 4-3. He lead us to the number one defense with far less talent then we have now. He can do wonders...you actually have a very similar defense to what we had in 04.

Comment

• Originally posted by Modano
                        Romo had a bad game, but it was his first playoff game in his career.. He had a very good season for us (the best from a QB since Aikman).. Irony is that he lost the game not as our QB but as our holder..
                        He drive the team in poisition to win the game after playing poorly for the most part of the game..

And I'm still not confident in Watkins. I'm asking why he comes out in the nickel situation and Nate Jones comes in? I still want a big time FS.

And if the Panthers cut Jenkins can you see him playin NT? I've heard the Panthers will have a lot of cap issues...
                        Jason Ferguson was good for as a run stuffer. We have other needs than NT.
                        How about some "good" offensive lineman, 2 new safeties, and a playmaking Wide Reciever.

Sig thanks to DieHardVikingsFan

Comment

• From Todd Archer of the DMN ...... start repeating after me ..... yawn......

The Cowboys believe they are close to being contenders in the NFC, but how close?

What are the missing personnel pieces?

Here are a few suggestions:

Free safety with range: The coverage problems at safety were well chronicled this year. From Roy Williams to Patrick Watkins to Keith Davis, the safeties had difficulties in pass coverage.

With mega millions tied up in Williams and cornerback Anthony Henry, and Terence Newman's contract expiring in 2008, would Jones want to pour more millions into a free agent? Coach Bill Parcells said he thought Watkins can develop into a consistent player, but that is no sure thing.

The answer might already be on the roster: Henry. He played safety in college. He led the team with 23 pass deflections during the season, and although he's not a speedster, he is always around the ball.

Switching Henry would create a need at cornerback, but that could be answered in the draft.

Comment

• Originally posted by Modano
                            Romo had a bad game, but it was his first playoff game in his career.. He had a very good season for us (the best from a QB since Aikman).. Irony is that he lost the game not as our QB but as our holder..

Jenkins used to be great but he looked slow this year. Laboring under excessive weight and bad knees. With that said if he knees check out that is an ugrade and I am sure he can drop a few for BP.

They did sign Komeatu who they claim to like and have a bit tied up at DT.

I am a proponent of getting Rogers instead, seems more athletic. Jenkins more powerful. But I think they can trade for Rogers and no one else does. So, we'll see how much Marinelli hates him this offseason.

Interesting idea though.

Comment

• Quick points.

- I agree with DMWsackmachine, this was just one of those years.

- If Roy's cap situation makes him untradeable, all you could do is hope and pray he loses 20 lbs in the offseason, because I still feel that at his current frame he will continue to have the same problems that has plagued him this year. He must lose weight, he's too big right now. And he needs to look at film and dedicate himself to working on his coverage in the offseason. I think his head got way too inflated over the years, and he thinks he's better than he is. He needs dramatic improvement, the SS position is crucial in a 3-4 defense and he needs to improve.

- Romo will be fine. Yes he had a bad game, but like I said before, first year starters always have bad games in their first playoff appearance. Brady is the exception, not the norm. Romo is going to be a great qb for you guys. The NFC East as a whole will all have very capable qb's for years to come, Im high on all 4 of them.

- The defense may need a pass rusher, but Id leave the LB core alone right now. If youre gonna get a pass rusher, make it a front 3 guy in the draft, because I think alot of the issues, in fact most of the issues are technique related. That can be fixed, and I expect it to be fixed this offseason. After watching with my own eyes what DMWSackmachine has said all along, I finally see whats wrong. Its all technique, very correctable stuff.

- Watkins will be fine. You don't need a FS. Me and DMWSackmachine have talked about this before. Watkins has all the physical ability in the world. In fact, he's just as physically talented as any of the these safeties coming out this year. He was a little raw, and you saw it over the course of the season. But he did improve over the year (remember, he was only a rookie), and he did very well towards the end of the year. During the offseason, he will continue even more. And BP is high on him, which means he has faith he will be good. FS is not a problem for you guys. Like I said, its not the FS, its the SS. Roy needs to take some responsibiltity and step his game up.

- If I was a GM of a 3-4 defense and I heard that Dallas didn't want Bradie James anymore, Id be very happy to accomodate your needs so he could be on my team. James is that hammer in the middle that every 3-4 defense needs. I personally felt he was PB caliber material behind Urlacher and Pierce, but thats just me.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigbluedefense
                                Quick points.

- I agree with DMWsackmachine, this was just one of those years.

- If Roy's cap situation makes him untradeable, all you could do is hope and pray he loses 20 lbs in the offseason, because I still feel that at his current frame he will continue to have the same problems that has plagued him this year. He must lose weight, he's too big right now. And he needs to look at film and dedicate himself to working on his coverage in the offseason. I think his head got way too inflated over the years, and he thinks he's better than he is. He needs dramatic improvement, the SS position is crucial in a 3-4 defense and he needs to improve.

- Romo will be fine. Yes he had a bad game, but like I said before, first year starters always have bad games in their first playoff appearance. Brady is the exception, not the norm. Romo is going to be a great qb for you guys. The NFC East as a whole will all have very capable qb's for years to come, Im high on all 4 of them.

- The defense may need a pass rusher, but Id leave the LB core alone right now. If youre gonna get a pass rusher, make it a front 3 guy in the draft, because I think alot of the issues, in fact most of the issues are technique related. That can be fixed, and I expect it to be fixed this offseason. After watching with my own eyes what DMWSackmachine has said all along, I finally see whats wrong. Its all technique, very correctable stuff.

- Watkins will be fine. You don't need a FS. Me and DMWSackmachine have talked about this before. Watkins has all the physical ability in the world. In fact, he's just as physically talented as any of the these safeties coming out this year. He was a little raw, and you saw it over the course of the season. But he did improve over the year (remember, he was only a rookie), and he did very well towards the end of the year. During the offseason, he will continue even more. And BP is high on him, which means he has faith he will be good. FS is not a problem for you guys. Like I said, its not the FS, its the SS. Roy needs to take some responsibiltity and step his game up.

- If I was a GM of a 3-4 defense and I heard that Dallas didn't want Bradie James anymore, Id be very happy to accomodate your needs so he could be on my team. James is that hammer in the middle that every 3-4 defense needs. I personally felt he was PB caliber material behind Urlacher and Pierce, but thats just me.
                                You like James huh? Please explain. I am curious b/c he looks lost and a step behind out there.

To me he looks like a beefy 4-3 MLB who is perfect in a blitzing scheme where he can quickly plug within a 20 yard box around the Center.

On Roy, the chattering classes in the Dallas media are already talking trade or wight loss for Roy. Even Jerry said they need to find Roy a job he can do.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information