This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jdnoyes
    More news, apparently Jerry has asked and received New Orleans permission to interview Gary Gibbs. Not a name i've heard much of here but an interesting thought. I thought he did a pretty darn good job while here with the linebackers, and also did a nice job with a NO defensive lacking in talent this year. I don't really know what to think but at least its a different name than Norv or Phillips. It looks by this interview Bill is having at least some influence on the selection of the next coach, which is nothing but a good thing IMO, and if the team has a bad year next year Gibbs would be a cheap guy easily disposed of so Jerry can get in the Fisher/Cower/Lovie sweepstakes next year.

http://www.cowboysplus.com/topstory/....1b303c86.html
    Never thought about that, but maybe...

Dumb thing about it... We don't know if that would be the plan or not... and that would be quite ballsy for Jerry to do. Unless he made it known that our coach was just an interim-HC.

Comment

• http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6407828

Norv is officially in the mix.

"Other names linked to the job include Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan, Seattle assistant head coach Jim Mora and either or both of the Bears' coordinators."

Ron Rivera??? Yeah! ....but where is Mike's name??? :evil:

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit
        Originally posted by jdnoyes
        More news, apparently Jerry has asked and received New Orleans permission to interview Gary Gibbs. Not a name i've heard much of here but an interesting thought. I thought he did a pretty darn good job while here with the linebackers, and also did a nice job with a NO defensive lacking in talent this year. I don't really know what to think but at least its a different name than Norv or Phillips. It looks by this interview Bill is having at least some influence on the selection of the next coach, which is nothing but a good thing IMO, and if the team has a bad year next year Gibbs would be a cheap guy easily disposed of so Jerry can get in the Fisher/Cower/Lovie sweepstakes next year.

Dumb thing about it... We don't know if that would be the plan or not... and that would be quite ballsy for Jerry to do. Unless he made it known that our coach was just an interim-HC.
        Well I didn't mean to sound like Jerry would hire the guy with the intention of him failing. I think he will hire the guy who he thinks give the team the best chance to succeed, but it would give Jerry an easy out if the boys with the talent they have went 7-9 or something next year. He could easily dump a cheap contract and a no name guy. You can bet whoever the new coach is if the team has a losing season next year Jerry would dump him for a Bill Cower, and eat the rest of the salary. I don't doubt for a minute that Jerry isn't wishing he was entering the coatching market one year later. Having said all that things can change very quickly. Cower could say no, and Lovie and Fisher could have signed long term extensions by then, so if Jerry is smart he will get the guy who he believes can lead this franchise for the next 5+ years not just a guy who can hold it down for a year.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdnoyes
          Originally posted by D-Unit
          Originally posted by jdnoyes

Well I didn't mean to sound like Jerry would hire the guy with the intention of him failing. I think he will hire the guy who he thinks give the team the best chance to succeed, but it would give Jerry an easy out if the boys with the talent they have went 7-9 or something next year. He could easily dump a cheap contract and a no name guy. You can bet whoever the new coach is if the team has a losing season next year Jerry would dump him for a Bill Cower, and eat the rest of the salary. I don't doubt for a minute that Jerry isn't wishing he was entering the coatching market one year later. Having said all that things can change very quickly. Cower could say no, and Lovie and Fisher could have signed long term extensions by then, so if Jerry is smart he will get the guy who he believes can lead this franchise for the next 5+ years not just a guy who can hold it down for a year.
          Cowher imo is never coming to Dallas to have to work under Jerry. Lovie and Fisher maybe... I'd still prefer Rivera over Lovie though. I like his personality.

Comment

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6407828

Norv is officially in the mix.

"Other names linked to the job include Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan, Seattle assistant head coach Jim Mora and either or both of the Bears' coordinators."

Ron Rivera??? Yeah! ....but where is Mike's name??? :evil:
            Well a Rex Ryan hiring however you might feel about it could get Singletary here as the DC. They both worked on the defensive staff under Nolan, Ryan as D-Line coach and Singletary as Linebackers coach. If Ryan was hired I could definately see him trying to bring Singletary in as his DC.

Comment

• so is anybody else concerned that we are hiring assistants before we hire the head coach? this just seems stupid. imagine calling a guy and telling him we want you to be the head coach but you dont get to hire the assistants. what if xxx doesnt like jason garett or wants to run a different offense? seems like jerry never learns. most big time coaches want to name their staff and get people in here they like/trust. it just amazes me.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Comment

• Originally posted by pocketaces
                so is anybody else concerned that we are hiring assistants before we hire the head coach? this just seems stupid. imagine calling a guy and telling him we want you to be the head coach but you dont get to hire the assistants. what if xxx doesnt like jason garett or wants to run a different offense? seems like jerry never learns. most big time coaches want to name their staff and get people in here they like/trust. it just amazes me.
                Not necessarily. My guess is maybe the candidates for HC knew that in advance and have agreed on the Garrett move.

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
                Albert Camus

Comment

so is anybody else concerned that we are hiring assistants before we hire the head coach? this just seems stupid. imagine calling a guy and telling him we want you to be the head coach but you dont get to hire the assistants. what if xxx doesnt like jason garett or wants to run a different offense? seems like jerry never learns. most big time coaches want to name their staff and get people in here they like/trust. it just amazes me.
                  Yeah i'm concerned about it, but I'm guessing he really doesn't care who his new coach wants to hire as his OC. If the guy doesn't want Garrett then I assume Jerry won't make him the HC. The Dolphins gave Jerry a really small window to work with, so he got who he wanted before the window closed. If all else fails, Jerry will just name Garrett the HC.

Comment

Yep. Parcells didn't know Zimmer and we all know how that went. Jerry was stupid to approach Garrett as soon as he did. Garrett was going nowhere... as soon as Jerry showed interest, Miami put that window on him. Jerry, get the DAMN HC FIRST YOU IDIOT!!!!!! GEEZ!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• [quote="D-Unit"]
                      Originally posted by pocketaces
                      Yep. Parcells didn't know Zimmer and we all know how that went. Jerry was stupid to approach Garrett as soon as he did. Garrett was going nowhere... as soon as Jerry showed interest, Miami put that window on him. Jerry, get the DAMN HC FIRST YOU IDIOT!!!!!! GEEZ!!!!!!!!!!![/quote

Have strong opinions do ya?

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
                      Albert Camus

Comment

Originally posted by pocketaces
                        Yep. Parcells didn't know Zimmer and we all know how that went. Jerry was stupid to approach Garrett as soon as he did. Garrett was going nowhere... as soon as Jerry showed interest, Miami put that window on him. Jerry, get the DAMN HC FIRST YOU IDIOT!!!!!! GEEZ!!!!!!!!!!!
                        I agree, It's just a dumb move on our part. I like Garrett, but we should have pursued him after we got a HC.

BoneKrusher

Comment

• My thinking on the Garrett move is that he probably had a deadline on him and that he was so impressive that Jerry felt like he had to hire him...it definitely would be interesting to see him working with Norv again...

Those of you who want Singletary for D-coordinator, remember that San Fran can refuse us permission to speak with him for a D-coordinator spot; they cannot if we ask permission for him to speak about the head coachinch position (although he most likely could be spoken to as a head coach and take an offer as DC).

Comment

• I'm watching real sports with bryant gumble and they just said that back in 1996 Irvin got busted with 10 ounces of weed, 10 grams of yayo, and a bunch of sex toys. I knew he got busted, but i never knew he got busted with that much stuff... :shock:

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
                            they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
                            Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

• Some of you may have noticed, but I haven't been commenting much on the head coaching gig. The reason why I haven't had much to say is the simple fact that as fans of the team, none of us know jack ****. We really don't. I know D-Unit loves Singletary, but what if he comes in here and is completely lost managing the "big picture" aspect of being a HC? What if Jason Garrett comes in and becomes the next Bill Walsh, totally revolutionizing the game with a unique approach to offense?

I mean, seriously, we don't know anything. Assistant coaches, by their very natures, are basically impossible to evaluate without getting up close and personal. We just don't have anything to go off of. And don't be ridiculous and say that because you have seen Singletary conduct some drills with a bunch of college prospects, then you just know that he is going to be a bad ass coach. That's just plain stupid.

Don't misunderstand me. I have nothing against any of the assistant coaching candidates out there. What I have seen though, is both Wade Phillips and Norv Turner be moderately successful as NFL head men at some point in time. Neither have wowed. Both eventually got axed, which is what all coaches do that aren't in the "all time great" category. Right now, I want us to focus on getting the next Landry, Parcells, Walsh, Knoll, Parcells, Gibbs, Holmgren, or Shula in here. Someone that we can move forward into the next 20 years with as a constant guiding presence. I would sacrifice 4 years of mediocrity to guarantee getting a guy like that. That is how important one can be to the success of your team.

If there is a chance that Garrett can be that guy, I'm willing to take a chance. The problem here is that I don't know enough to have an opinion. It's times like these that you have to just hold your breath and trust in the ability of the management of your team. Considering how badly Jerry has screwed all of us in the past, that is a daunting prospect....but still what we have to face. I choose to believe in him. Though I may regret it in the end.
                              Originally posted by 21ST
                              He was protecting his self
                              Originally posted by tjsunstein
                              From what? His leg?
                              Originally posted by Paranoidmoonduck
                              That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
                              "We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Comment

• BP radio interview with NY Radio Station.

http://www.wfan.com/topic/play_windo...audioId=250188

You all will love this...

It's time.

Playoff game had some affect on his retirement.

TO factor?

Jerry factor? No.

Too difficult mentally.... Offseason, Senior Bowl, Free Agency, Preseason, Season... Just to miss the FG at the end of the season...

Not mature enough to know what to do.

...inflated opinion of themselves... including the media...

Last 2 or 3 weeks will serve Romo well in the future... High highs and low lows...

Spoke to Tony about what he needs to do in the future...

Most difficult job by far.

QB issues... until midway this year.. Cap prohibitive...

Far superior, better character, higher expectations... helping Jerry

Looking forward to Cowboys future...

2 of his biggest losses... one with the Jets and this last Seattle game...

Every year was a new entity... all centered around QB...

OL issues... then QB issues... then Defensive issues... secondary especially...

Loss of Ellis was huge...

Proud of the guys who he's coached with that are doing well.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information