This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shane_man View Post
    JJ is going to be released as far as I know... Michael Turner is going to hit free agency as well...

Put two and two together? We pursued him last year and I have always been an advocate that JJ's replacement needs to have experience at the NFL level(rather then drafting a player who is still going to need to learn skills at the NFL level)... Anyone see it as a possibility. Turner and Barber operating out of the backfield... Sounds like a sweet little plan to me?
    I would like to see this happen, but I don't see it being a realistic opportunity. Turner is going to get a nice sized contract and there's no way we can afford to have 2 RB's w/big salaries.

Additionally, I'd rather see us get a back in the mold of Ahmad Bradshaw. Barber can soften the defense up with his bruising running style and a back w/some speed and vision could come in and torch the defense.

Comment

• Originally posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
      This was the pats year anyway...I mean yes it sucks that the G men made it and we swept them this year and were better but they played better when it counted, Eli made some drives late in games without making bad plays, and guys caught the balls...in our situation we made bad throws, missed blocks, and dropped passes..but it doesnt bother me about getting to the super bowl had we of lost, im almost 100% certain we cant beat the Pats because we still would of had Reeves

Im also wondering will our defense ever look like the Chargers? Thought thats what Wade was here for, is it their personell is just that much better? Granted we dont have Jamal Williams sucking up blockers, or a safety to cover ground like Weddle, but they held the Pats to 21 pts, and get pressure from so many different places, too many games I saw of us and we sat back like the Jags and were picked apart

Are we going to get to that point eventually when we get the proper personell, or is he not running exactly the same defense as he was when he was in SD?
      I think we're trying to find the best personnel possible to fit Wade's schemes. We don't have to mimick them in order to be good. Anthony Spencer's selection proved to me that Jerry was all about getting Wade players he needs. Wade has likened Spencer to being the Shaun Phillips in his scheme opposite of Ware who is likend to Merriman. The lack of a true NT is the most glaring position of need imo, though many disagree. IF we had a Jamal Williams or Vince Wilfork or Casey Hampton... our 3-4 would reach that "next" level.

I'm all for trying to bring in Shaun Rogers. He's wore out his welcome in Detroit and shouldn't command more than a mid round pick.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-Unit
        I think we're trying to find the best personnel possible to fit Wade's schemes. We don't have to mimick them in order to be good. Anthony Spencer's selection proved to me that Jerry was all about getting Wade players he needs. Wade has likened Spencer to being the Shaun Phillips in his scheme opposite of Ware who is likend to Merriman. The lack of a true NT is the most glaring position of need imo, though many disagree. IF we had a Jamal Williams or Vince Wilfork or Casey Hampton... our 3-4 would reach that "next" level.

I'm all for trying to bring in Shaun Rogers. He's wore out his welcome in Detroit and shouldn't command more than a mid round pick.
        But hes a walrus who is fat... AND lazy??? I suppose that might work given we like to spot our starters more often then most teams.

Originally posted by leroyisgod
        I would like to see this happen, but I don't see it being a realistic opportunity. Turner is going to get a nice sized contract and there's no way we can afford to have 2 RB's w/big salaries.

Additionally, I'd rather see us get a back in the mold of Ahmad Bradshaw. Barber can soften the defense up with his bruising running style and a back w/some speed and vision could come in and torch the defense.
        Had a look around the NFL and Chicago is the only team in the league with a serious NEED at RB. So I cant see his number being extraordinarily high as a player with three or four teams chasing him. And the Bears are notoriously thrift...

As for the idea of getting two different runners... It doesnt matter to me in the slightest if we have two robots who do the exact same thing. As long as they both keep the play moving as opposed to the JJ run into a wall/Barber run over the wall style.

Comment

• Bringing a "fat and lazy" player to a good team, from a bad team, can do wonders for that player.

Example: Leonard Davis.

If we could get Shaun Rogers and move Ratliff back to DE instead of spears, this defense definitely could be at the next level.

Believe me, I've watched almost all of SD's games and it's clear to me that the D-line is the problem on our team, more specifically spears doing absolutely nothing and Ratliff being out of place.

The chargers ILB's and safeties are nobody special. Matt Wilhelm, Stephen Cooper, Marlon McRee, Clinton Hart, and Eric Weddle are all average players in a good scheme. We have guys with more talent, but are less effective because this scheme is fit to players contracts instead of their skill sets.

Yes, Ratliff has played good at NT, but his skill set is better suited at DE. With a true NT and 2 DE's who have the ability to get to the passer, it provides us with an element that this team hasn't seen.

Comment

• I think a CB is more important to this defense than a NT. We can win a championship with Jay ratliff/tank johnson at NT. We can't expect to win in the playoffs and beat brady or manning in the SB with jacque starting or even in the nickle. I can even admit that, and I am "the biggest homer"....

We need a CB. NT would be nice, but it isn't essential. Tank and Ratliff are both 27 or younger as well. We need a CB, an d another playmaker on offense to dominate the NFC, and compete witht he pats and Colts, bottom line.

Comment

• Originally posted by Burns336 View Post
              Bringing a "fat and lazy" player to a good team, from a bad team, can do wonders for that player.

Example: Leonard Davis.

If we could get Shaun Rogers and move Ratliff back to DE instead of spears, this defense definitely could be at the next level.

Believe me, I've watched almost all of SD's games and it's clear to me that the D-line is the problem on our team, more specifically spears doing absolutely nothing and Ratliff being out of place.

The chargers ILB's and safeties are nobody special. Matt Wilhelm, Stephen Cooper, Marlon McRee, Clinton Hart, and Eric Weddle are all average players in a good scheme. We have guys with more talent, but are less effective because this scheme is fit to players contracts instead of their skill sets.

Yes, Ratliff has played good at NT, but his skill set is better suited at DE. With a true NT and 2 DE's who have the ability to get to the passer, it provides us with an element that this team hasn't seen.

Great post. Our D-line is pretty much just there, if we finally had some penetration from the front three and guys who need doubled, there would probably be more attacking from the OLB's and more success, but im hoping the problem is addressed at some point...Because not that we need our defense tailored to the Chargers, but id love to see some of the same results/schemes from ours, they did a great job sunday and I havent seen our defense perform up to that level too much

Originally posted by Scott Wright
              I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• acquiring shaun rogers has nothing to do with a first round pick.

1 of the 2 first rounders will most certainly be used on a CB either way.

But don't kid yourself. The push upfront is important. Either NT needs an upgrade with Ratliff moving to DE, or DE needs an upgrade with an addition of a guy like Calais Campbell who has the potential to be the pressure guy we need at spears' position.

I think the D-line is more important than our corners and I think you see this around the league. Remember that Reeves was a 7th round pick, and was expected to suck. Why so many depended on him is beyond me.

If we could upgrade our D-line in one of the ways mentioned and not get a corner until the 2nd round as opposed to upgrading corner in the 1st round and not doing anything at all to the D-line, I think you would see that the unit with the upgraded Dline would do better than the upgraded secondary.

No matter how good these guys are, they cannot cover all day. Not one guy in the chargers secondary is as good as Newman, and dont even say cromartie because his tackling is below average and he plays too aggressive at times, but they still shut down brady and Moss and held the pats to 21. That is because of their D-line.

Comment

Great post. Our D-line is pretty much just there, if we finally had some penetration from the front three and guys who need doubled, there would probably be more attacking from the OLB's and more success, but im hoping the problem is addressed at some point...Because not that we need our defense tailored to the Chargers, but id love to see some of the same results/schemes from ours, they did a great job sunday and I havent seen our defense perform up to that level too much
                  Exactly. This team is missing just a few pieces. It's not a coincidence that the Chargers had the most interceptions in the league. Pressure creates turnovers, and right now I think they are the best in the league at getting pressure.

We are missing a guy or two, but if we make smart moves in personnel within the team instead of monetary moves and add a Shaun Rogers or a pressure DE, we could be at the top of the league in turnovers and sacks just like SD is.

EDIT: Also just wanted to add that I am in favor of spending our first rounders at DE and CB if we don't aquire an NT via trade and make some shifts on the D-line.

I do think cb needs to be adressed. But D-line is equal to, if not a bigger problem than CB.
                  Last edited by Burns336; 01-21-2008, 04:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by shane_man View Post
                    But hes a walrus who is fat... AND lazy??? I suppose that might work given we like to spot our starters more often then most teams.

Had a look around the NFL and Chicago is the only team in the league with a serious NEED at RB. So I cant see his number being extraordinarily high as a player with three or four teams chasing him. And the Bears are notoriously thrift...

As for the idea of getting two different runners... It doesnt matter to me in the slightest if we have two robots who do the exact same thing. As long as they both keep the play moving as opposed to the JJ run into a wall/Barber run over the wall style.
                    The following teams will be looking for a RB in the off season: Chicago, Houston, Denver, Oakland, Detroit, Atlanta, Carolina, Arizona and Seattle.

I could see any one of these teams poneying up some money for a back like Turner.

Comment

• From Mick's Mail:

Julian Calabria, Irving, Texas: What is the word on Mr. Stanback? Do you think he can add something special to this team next year? What is the buzz on him around Valley Ranch?

Mickey: The buzz is very loud, especially coming from the owner, who mentioned Isaiah Stanback very prominently when talking about some of his young guys who might be ready to step up next year. You know me, I've been buzzed about Stanback since they drafted him. And yes, I think he can add something special next season. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not sure he's ready to be the lead receiver or even the second receiver, but third receiver and special teams guy, I'm telling you, watch out.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news.cf...009AF7F8E2E0CE

Does the coaching staff know something we don't about stanback? Maybe they are certain he will turn into our slot WR/deep threat...

Comment

• Originally posted by Achilles33 View Post
                        I think a CB is more important to this defense than a NT. We can win a championship with Jay ratliff/tank johnson at NT. We can't expect to win in the playoffs and beat brady or manning in the SB with jacque starting or even in the nickle. I can even admit that, and I am "the biggest homer"....

We need a CB. NT would be nice, but it isn't essential. Tank and Ratliff are both 27 or younger as well. We need a CB, an d another playmaker on offense to dominate the NFC, and compete witht he pats and Colts, bottom line.
                        Well, it's ok. We can agree to disagree.

NT is a position that has plagued our team since our inception of the 3-4. Jason Ferguson was supposed to cure that, but he never consistently commanded a double team... the key responsibility of the NT. He was really more of an Under Tackle. Instead of controlling the gaps, he often shot the gaps.. that's why most fans never really blamed him for doing a bad job. They saw him getting tackles in the backfield and getting a few sacks so they thought, wow, Jason Ferguson is great. When the fact of the matter is that he didn't do what a true 2 gap NT does. He's supposed to occupy the double team to allow the DEs and LBs to get freed up and be the playmakers. To this day, we still don't have one and it has effectively limited our pass rush and indirectly affected our play of the secondary... to the point where people think our secondary is the problem.

Yes, Roy has coverage problems. But people bring up CB as our #1 need? CB won't be our #1 need until it becomes time to replace Newman and Henry. What we need is a better nickel back or #3 CB. Sure, it wouldn't hurt to address the future of our starting CBs, but it isn't our #1 need. Neither is our #3 CB our #1 need.

Ferguson needs to be cut. Ratliff needs to move to DE and push Spears to the bench. Tank needs to stay right where he is, because he's a good back up/rotational guy.

Shaun Rogers doesn't have good pub right now. That's so perfect for us. He's far from washed up. He's still in his 20s and he's coming off a pretty damn good statistical season... he fricken had 7 sacks! Let him come back home to Texas where he played college ball for the Longhorns and we could possibly see us snag a 2009 Pro Bowl player. He'd be our Leonard Davis pick up of last offseason. People thought he was washed up too.

Comment

Reading the post I have to think we need to be realistic about what we are going to get. We can't think that all players want to come back to Texas and will come back just to play with the Cowboys. At the same time it helps us, but lets not get all excited about players coming over here and accepting or giving us a discount. I think we have an excellant DL and we are going to get better. We are still young on the DL. I think we are very close and we have what it takes to get to the big bowl..........we just need to get a few more players on the draft that will help us this year.

I think we need to concentrate on CB and RB. I like Scott's draft. I think Felix Jones and Leodis would be perfit. I also believe those are the two biggest needs on the team. We cant' afford a WR to sit a few years on the bench.......we can always get a FA WR in the next few years, maybe even Roy Williams next year or for a 2 or 3.

I would want Kelly, but for every Kelly there is a Meachem who sits out the whole year. WR are so hard to predict and spending our luxury pick on a WR is to big of a risk.

I want Felix Jones and a DB or Leodis and a RB.................I would even wnat a OL in round 2 and a LB in round 3. I think that is what we need to do.

Replies welcome

Comment

• I guess if we dont get Rogers via trade, id be for taking Pat Sims with our 2nd pick over any rb if we took a db first...that would make our defense alot better if we hit on both of those players being great, dont think we need to get Jones and use a 1st rd pick when we can get a guy that can be a speed role later...

If we do pick up Rogers, I still wouldnt mind another DE to replace spears, whatever we have to do to get him out of the lineup...Canty and Ratliff on the outside isnt bad, if we have a great NT...id love to get one more DE to battle with Ratliff, but I just want to get some fresh bodies in there so we can get a clearcut guy who does what we need, and cut some of these guys who havent done anything...

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                            I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

I guess if we dont get Rogers via trade, id be for taking Pat Sims with our 2nd pick over any rb if we took a db first...that would make our defense alot better if we hit on both of those players being great, dont think we need to get Jones and use a 1st rd pick when we can get a guy that can be a speed role later...

If we do pick up Rogers, I still wouldnt mind another DE to replace spears, whatever we have to do to get him out of the lineup...Canty and Ratliff on the outside isnt bad, if we have a great NT...id love to get one more DE to battle with Ratliff, but I just want to get some fresh bodies in there so we can get a clearcut guy who does what we need, and cut some of these guys who havent done anything...
                              Well, if we did get Rogers, I don't know if the DE we add, if we add one would be that much of an impact player. With Canty and Hatcher on one side and Ratliff and Spears on the other we'd be better than ok... Especially with Rogers and Tank at NT.

BTW, Rogers is way more probable of leaving Detroit than Roy.

Comment

• Round 1

If we get to Dallas pick and neither Leodis nor Felix Jones are gone...I think we go Leodis...........the picks after us ..........nobody really needs a RB and I think JOnes will be there and if he is not there than we go OL or WR. WE can get the RB from E.Carolina in round 2. I don't want to sound like I am in 'love' with Jones, I just think if he is there when our 2 pick I think we take him. I just think he would make us that much more exciting. Round 2...........a WR will drop or a OL...........solid one will be there.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information