This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MetSox17 View Post
    Honestly, two years from now i KNOW i wont see terry glenn on the field, and i'm not sure t.o will be there either. Patrick Crayton is never gonna be a number 1 receiver, neither is Stanback or Hurd. Hurd will always be a solid #3 at best, or a very crayton-esque number two. None of those guys are exactly burners imo, and for one to be the first option at WR for a team, you need to have size, hands and speed. We might bump into one of those in the draft, but honestly i would prefer to trade for a proven guy, but it takes two to tango.
    Stanback is a burner....and while him ever amounting to a #1 WR in the nfl is a long shot...you can't simply state he is "never gonna" be one.

Comment

• Originally posted by shane_man View Post
      Hurd and Austin went undrafted but we already acknowledge that Hurd has a spot on this roster. Stanback was a 3-4 round selection with a bunch of physical skills who was never going to contribute a whole lot in his first season. But he will have had a full year and a bit to digest the playbook and more specifically the position he is asked to play. He has two fantastic teachers in Owen's and Glenn(and even Crayton if you think about it)... I expect him to make an impact this year along the goalline and in four man sets(assuming Glenn is fit.)
      Stanback was a 4th rounder, and if you remember, most draft folks think the boys took him at least 1 round too early. I hope he ends up a player, I just think it's boarderline foolishness to assume that we are set.

As someone said earlier, Crayton & Hurd are nice complementary WRs, but not anywhere near #1.

Im not willing to hang my hat on him... But I honestly dont think we NEED to hang our hat on him. We operated very well last year with Glenn out all season. Even if he returns just to put another body on the field. Teams are gonna get ****** over trying to cover him and TO... and will leave Witten or Crayton open(or even Barber)...
      I know we did very well, but what if TO gets dinged earlier in the season? You saw what happened when he wasn't 100%.

WR does become more of a need if Glenn cannot play. But thats a need NOW as opposed to a need down the road. Hence why I think if Glenn cant come back we should be looking at trades rather then drafting. Because we will need a player to come in THIS year and be good rather then worrying about two or three years down the track.
      I think that is my point. I think the odds are significantly less than 50% that we get much of anything out of Glenn this year. I think you absolutely have to go into the season assuming you don't have him.

Well twice now we have watched TO get injured late in a season and the first time he bounced back with an MVP performance in a Superbowl and strong numbers the following year.
      I don't understand your point. Sure, TO will probably be great to start this season, but my point is what happens during the season if he is not 100%? I think we know the answer to that because we really have no other deep threat if he is out.

So Im not much worried by TO in terms of his fitness. You make a fair point about Glenn. But if the Cowboys were willing to keep him on the roster all of last year. If he wasnt among the cuts that have been made so far... If he's continuing to work as if he will be right to go when the season starts this year. I have to assume he will be fit to go. At which point. I personally dont think WR is That HIGH of a priority. I dont deny that we will have to look there eventually. But I want to see Stanback get the opportunity when Glenn retires. At which point we draft another WR to replace TO down the line.
      See, I don't think you should wait until you "have" to replace TO before you start looking for a guy that could replace him.

Its all about making what we have currently work. We have the players in place right now for the future and for now. To add extra parts to that will take reps away from the near future(because I honestly think Stanback will impact this year) in favour of a year or two into the future.(which we shouldnt really be looking at while on the verge of major Superbowl success)
      You and I just disagree that we have the parts in place right now. I see potential; you see players.

I still have a big unit of a NT as a bigger priority. RB is a definate need(though I still think a better option is through Free Agency but all those options have dried up)... CB is a blatant concern(and will probably be 3 or 4 picks in this draft)... After that its a matter of picking players to help out on special teams. Whether that is LB's or WR's or whatever.

I agree that we need a NT.

I honestly at this point dont think WR is a MASSIVE need. Its something we should look at down the line. But not something we need this year as it would threaten the WR's on the roster's development.
      Well again, I think if you wait until you have to have a WR then your odds of taking the wrong guy because you are desperate increase greatly. As for development, I say you just throw talent in there and the cream will rise to the top. I don't think you should ever be afraid of throwing more talent into a position, with maybe the exception of franchise QB or something like that.
      In war, you win or lose, live or die - and the difference is just an eyelash.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• Originally posted by thule View Post
        Stanback is a burner....and while him ever amounting to a #1 WR in the nfl is a long shot...you can't simply state he is "never gonna" be one.
        Agreed. We don't know yet what Stanback can be, and personally, I'm willing to give him a couple of years to find out. But the majority of WRs take a couple of years to really produce in the NFL. There are exceptions of course, and even some of the exceptions only have one really good year. Remember Michael Clayton's rookie year with Tampa? I think we need to draft a guy this year to start that development process. Then maybe three years down the road Stanback and the new guy will be the starters. I thought we were wrong last year to pass on a WR. If we'd stayed at our #22 pick last year I believe we could have gotten Dwayne Bowe.

Comment

• Stanback will get his shot, but just because its his 2nd year doesnt mean were going to not address wr position and put all our eggs in that basket, if he improves he will still get his shot to play, but drafting developmental players the year before is not a reason to not address the wr position, if he's not ready to be a dominant wr then we would be screwed...He's probably gonna fill in and get some reps, but were not going to expect him to be in the starting rotation.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
          I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• A guy who could really contribute right away imo is Lavelle Hawkins...I really think he could step in and be our #3 guy off the bat...and slide to the 2nd WR slot when we go 3 wide...and put Crayton in the slot....If he is still on the board in the 2nd round and we pass...I'm going to get that sick feeling in my stomach like I did last year when we passed on McCauley.

Comment

• A guy I've liked for a long time is Devin Thomas. I'm begining to think he won't last until our 2nd. I would be very happy to come out of the first round with one of the top CBs and Devin Thomas.

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• I guess the cowboys were all over Thomas at the combine....I really don't want to take him in the first....way too much boom/bust...reminds me of a less proven Meachem situation from last year.

Comment

• Is there any reason you view him as any more of a bust potential than any of the other usual suspect 1st round WRs?

-Douglas MacArthur

Comment

• Pat Watkins is a name that I haven't heard on this board in some time. His rookie year was very up and down, but he seemed to be solid in spot play last year. Any thoughts on his future?

Comment

• Originally posted by thule View Post
                      I guess the cowboys were all over Thomas at the combine....I really don't want to take him in the first....way too much boom/bust...reminds me of a less proven Meachem situation from last year.
                      Thomas reminds me alot of Meachem, one year wonders, I really prefer the guys who have been consistent since they stepped on campus...Id be concerned with taking him, although I feel like he has #1 wr potential, he has alot of bust potential to go along with it...He wasnt even starting not that long ago.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                      I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Comment

• Originally posted by leroyisgod View Post
                        Pat Watkins is a name that I haven't heard on this board in some time. His rookie year was very up and down, but he seemed to be solid in spot play last year. Any thoughts on his future?
                        Havent heard anyone talk about him. I like him.

So many people are talking about drafting players because so-and-so will not be here in two more years. While I wouldnt want to mortgage the future away, this would be a non-factor for me going into this draft. Here's why:

Cowboys are too close right now. The window they are in right now doesnt seem to stay open as long as it use to. There are very few teams that can compete year in and out nowadays.

The common sense thing to do (In my mind) is get players that can contribute towards a superbowl now. A cornerback would contribute. A runningback would contribute. A wide receiver might contribute. I would look at players that make you a better football team now.

If a wide receiver was top on your board (or almost any other position, for that matter) you take that player. But if the top of your board is really close, you take the player that is most likely to contribute now. Worrying about two years from now seems to only lead towards failure to me. This team will be grossly different in two years. But not just the receiving corp. OL will change, too. As will DL, LB, CB and probably safety.

So take the player that puts you over the hump. To me, that is Mcfadden. A huge upgrade on what you had, at runningback and returner. Im not mortgaging the future on him, but I would see which trade offers I could live with and pick one. Both firsts, and a combination of a few players from the list of Carpenter, Spears, Williams, Marten, Glenn and other packups (that skip my mind now.) Parcell's will be wanting the two firsts, and players to help the change to the 3-4. Just like he did here. Give him a few, and get Mcfadden. He would help right now.
                        I published my first book. Available in ebook or paperback! Check it out!!!

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540

Comment

• If Miami wants more picks than that, I would tell them to draft who they want.

If we come away from the first two rounds with Desean Jackson, Aquib Talib, and one of the running backs (Felix, Slayton, Charles, Chris Johnson, Ray Rice, Allen Patrick, ect), we will be huge winners. I would trade those guys for Mcfadden, but would probably be just as happy with all of them, too.

The only way we lose is if we give up too much for Mcfadden.
                          I published my first book. Available in ebook or paperback! Check it out!!!

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540

Comment

• Originally posted by Macarthur View Post
                            Is there any reason you view him as any more of a bust potential than any of the other usual suspect 1st round WRs?
                            he only ran three routes in college...and the majority of his production came from quick screens and go routes....I want a more seasoned guy...we already have a guy like that on our team.

Comment

• Article in http://theboysblog.com/ on Stanback

"I’ve been quietly pushing for some data, any data, on second year WR Isaiah Stanback since the offseason began. And I’ve received a bushel full of chirping crickets.

He’s the unknown who will determine, far more than Miles Austin and Sam Hurd, where the Cowboys will draft a wide receiving next month. He’s got Michael Irvin dimensions — 6′2″, 205 — and speed to burn, having run a very impressive 100 meters time in college.

But a Lisfranc injury suffered his senior year of college kept him in a boot all during training camp. He emerged to make a touchdown reception in his final preseason game and then promptly disappeared. The lack of playing time meant no work on route running or route adjustments. Some people wondered why he didn’t play in the meaningless Redskins’ season finale, but shoulder surgery shortly thereafter probably answered that question.

He’ll get a full offseason with Ray Sherman this year. Whenever crumbs of data on Stanback appeared they glowed. “The team loves him,” we’ve heard. “We couldn’t cover him in practice,” his head coach once opined.

The team must feel pretty good about his chances to succeed Terry Glenn, since it never showed any interest in free agent speedsters.

At this point, your guess is as good as mine."

Comment

• Originally posted by FinChase View Post
                                Article in http://theboysblog.com/ on Stanback

"I’ve been quietly pushing for some data, any data, on second year WR Isaiah Stanback since the offseason began. And I’ve received a bushel full of chirping crickets.

He’s the unknown who will determine, far more than Miles Austin and Sam Hurd, where the Cowboys will draft a wide receiving next month. He’s got Michael Irvin dimensions — 6′2″, 205 — and speed to burn, having run a very impressive 100 meters time in college.

But a Lisfranc injury suffered his senior year of college kept him in a boot all during training camp. He emerged to make a touchdown reception in his final preseason game and then promptly disappeared. The lack of playing time meant no work on route running or route adjustments. Some people wondered why he didn’t play in the meaningless Redskins’ season finale, but shoulder surgery shortly thereafter probably answered that question.

He’ll get a full offseason with Ray Sherman this year. Whenever crumbs of data on Stanback appeared they glowed. “The team loves him,” we’ve heard. “We couldn’t cover him in practice,” his head coach once opined.

The team must feel pretty good about his chances to succeed Terry Glenn, since it never showed any interest in free agent speedsters.

At this point, your guess is as good as mine."
                                That actually makes me feel a bit better about WR. Nice find.

BoneKrusher

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information